Poll

How many cars in your household?

Zero
One for each person of driving age
More than one for each person of driving age
Less than one for each person of driving age

Author Topic: Post FIRE poll - how many cars in your household?  (Read 8447 times)

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
Post FIRE poll - how many cars in your household?
« on: January 05, 2020, 03:53:42 PM »
We currently have 2 people in the household and we each have a car. I really want to go down to 1 car (less than one car per person), but DH is strongly opposed. He has valid points - we live in a rural area that isn't very bikeable and we are 15 minutes from everything (by car). My point is that we very rarely use both cars at the same time...and have so much flexibility in our schedules that we could easily make it work. So I thought a poll of the post FIRE group might help me see how the rest of you have worked it out.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Post FIRE poll - how many cars in your household?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 04:03:34 PM »
My wife and I have shared a single car for the past decade, but we live in a city where walking, biking, and transit are valid options for a large fraction of the trips we take. In your case, maybe challenge yourselves to keep your second vehicle in the garage for a month (or more), and keep track of how many times (if any) you experience any real inconvenience as a result. Then you can have some real information to work with to make your decision: is the one (or three, or zero) times per month that you find the second car useful worth the cost you pay to keep it?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »
One car. Nearest real grocery store 15 miles away. Can't imagine a single reason why we'd need a second one since we're together in the car 90% of the time anyway.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 05:33:22 AM »
Two cars but it'd be nice to go to one.

The "second" car is my wife's Jeep Wrangler she's had for almost twenty years.  Its nice to drive a few thousand miles a year around this beach community.   It'd save us $180 on insurance and about $18 in annual taxes to sell it, plus I'd get some space in my garage.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 06:54:08 AM »
Currently 3 vehicles for (currently) 3 drivers -- 2 cars and one construction/work truck.  The plan is to go down to 1 vehicle for me and DH in a few years once (a) the kids move out, and (b) we're done with our house reconstruction.

We're in a rural area but we're both FIREd, so once those two things are accomplished I can't imagine a scenario where we'll need to own more than one car. 

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 07:34:18 AM »
We currently have 2 cars, a 2003 hatchback and a 2005 sedan.  Our plan is to get a used electric car as soon as one of our current vehicles dies. Unfortunately, we have not executed the plan because the bastards refuse to die. The plan is to keep an ICE car for long range road trips (two or three times a year) and an electric car for everything else. We currently have one day a week where we both need a car at the same time. If this ever changes, we may just opt. for a single electric car and rent an ICE car for road trips.

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 11:57:57 AM »
I have got some work to do here!

Background, grew up low income/cars often broke down/had to pawn things/borrow money to get cars fixed (The parents did). It was not uncommon to drive somewhere and the vehicle would break down, my non-mechanic father couldn't fix and we would have to borrow money to get vehicle fixed... AND, I've always lived somewhere that you had to have a vehicle for 90% of the time... all of that out of the way, we have five vehicles in front of our small home, for four people.

My "old beater" that I drove for many years (I joke that it put both girls through college since I drove it around and didn't have a car payment).

The vehicle we used to replace the old family hauler once we drove the doors off of it (Bought it new, paid it off early, drove it to the point it was falling apart [chevy min-van with the WORST build quality...]).

Wife has her "lifetime vehicle/truck" that she is wiling to work a job to have/pay for (and I've come to terms with...).

Kid has a car and is home for college (she goes 3 hours away). This is a super cheap Yaris that's great on gas/safe so it fits on many levels. We keep my old beater as a back up for this/her (see background above... lots of need for security around vehicles/transportation, yes, even though I walk/ride a big A LOT, and UBER/LYFT is a thing, and we can walk to rental car places... this is not a logical thing, it's emotional, and something to work on/through, even with that said, the IRP and it's IRP offshoot, the ICP are gonna have a field day with this... :) )

AND, lastly, the old man (we moved him in with us to give him a place to stay/get healthy....) has his "life" stored/in a van outside, doesn't technically "count" against me/us but it's in front of our home so... I included it, it makes an impact on us though because we HATE having so many vehicles out there/the congestion it causes neighbors (it's not that bad but we are sympathetic...) and we considered widening the driveway just to get a couple of them off the road.. CRINGE!!!

So, we have too many vehicles, spend too much on insurance, pay too much for upkeep and registration/taxes etc. and it has ZERO impact on our savings rate/finances other than to reduce our impact on the area/street/environment or to free up some dollars that would go into another savings of some kind/dropping them won't increase our financial picture (it is solid..) so for now, I simply grin and bear it.

Future footprint:
Kid moves out and takes her vehicle with her.
Old man moves, his van is gone.
I donate beater to local PBS Station.

Even longer term:
Get rid of everything but wife's truck, bike/walk/rent/uber everywhere or move to a denser area where no vehicles are needed.

So, there is a path... there is a path...

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
Wow...that's quite the fleet!

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 12:46:25 PM »
@Omy, we went to one shared car between us more than four years ago and it’s never been a problem. We do have to communicate about our need for use of the car, so we don’t both plan to use it at the same time, but we’ve found it to be a non-issue for us. A huge positive has been the savings on insurance, registration and depreciation for the second vehicle.

It’s worth trying to drive just one vehicle for a month (or more) then selling the second one, if it seems like it will work for your situation. Bank the money for the sold car and if you find that it’s not working out, you can always buy another one.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 12:50:33 PM »
One for two people.  And it's driven probably twice a month.  Husband commutes by train and I walk to most errands.  And I live in the place that most people want to meet up, so they tend to come to me.  I have to drive on an errand tomorrow (scuba shop; with very specialized stores sometimes I don't have one close!) and I'm dreading it. 

This is our first time not having 2 cars for the 2 of us, but it's also the first time we loved in a place with decent public transport to work and walkability to at least the basics. 

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 01:31:35 PM »
2 drivers, 2 cars.  But it's more due to lethargy than actually thinking about whether we need 2 or 1 or none. One of these days I need to spend a little quality time thinking about it.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »
We dropped to one car after my wife quit her job and neither of us were working. There was always one car in the driveway so it was silly to pay insurance/taxes/maintenance on two. Our current car is giving us some mechanical difficulties that are making us begin to question it's reliability. It goes without saying that if you only have one car when it breaks down you will be inconvenienced. But when that starts to happen repeatedly it can become a real hassle. We've been fortunate that all of our breakdowns have been at convenient moments so we haven't been left stranded.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 03:56:08 PM »
We have 2 for 2 people. Our public transportation sucks and the second car is cheaper than taking uber. Since we are older when one dies we will probably just share one.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 04:17:41 PM »
2 for 2 people. We’ve kept the second car at DH’s desire to do so. Both are paid off, and we each drive so little that our car insurance is fairly deeply discounted.

I could argue more about getting rid of one of the cars, but it does give both of us greater freedom of movement, I guess, and DH likes it. So, for not that much money per month, it’s fine.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 07:24:26 AM »
Three for two of us.   We each have a main vehicle of our choice and a jeep that's just a toy.   Had a Mustang convertible prior to the Jeep and traded.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 10:24:26 AM »
3 adults, 1 car. Dh drives it to work every day. We run errands on Saturday morning. I walk around the neighborhood during the week and maybe once/week take the bus or Lyft, but I’m a homebody and there’s really no place I need to go.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 09:06:58 PM »
1 car, 2 adults.  But this is mostly due to DH's commitment to biking.  He biked everywhere when he lived in Boston year-round (to this native Southern Californian, I just picture the scenes on Hoth from Empire Strikes Back), so in practice, the car is mostly mine and I'm spoiled, though I do enjoy walking and do that as often as possible.  I'm trying to learn to bike, but don't love it.

I can't imagine having 2 cars.  Parking our 1 car is enough trouble and would hate to have another to keep track of, make sure it's not parked in the wrong place on street sweeping days, hasn't been broken into recently, etc.

ShastaFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 09:19:31 PM »
One car and a Vespa scooter.  Along with our two bikes, works great for us in the city.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 06:06:24 AM »
It's interesting so far that one car per person is tracking evenly with less than one (if you add the "zeros" to that tally).

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 09:02:24 PM »
We have two cars for two people, a hangover from our working years.  Our second car is 13 years old and sits outside year-round.  We will drive it into the ground and probably not replace it when it goes.  But it’s paid for and costs very little to insure and it is handy from time to time.  We moved to a place where we can walk and where we have ample bus service around town.  As long as we’re both not working it makes sense to drop to one car.

TeeNixx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Let the last check bounce ;-)
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 09:25:40 PM »
We got two cars, sort of.
One is a 30-year-old full-size gas hog truck with a lumber rack. Seldom used but good for trips to the lumberyard, getting gravel and stuff. Might get rid of that one when we finish our current (last) build.

The second vehicle is a mid-size SUV. When we move down from our mountaintop we might get a used Prius instead (or EV?).

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 03:58:14 AM »
2 Adults one car. But we live in the city, can bike to work and grocery and have the bus. It works as I am committed to letting my spouse have the car 90 percent of the time.  If I didnt do that then we would likely be a 2 car house hold. Also in the burbs or rural means no Lyft no Uber correct?
I also have had an Ebike and that is a game changer.  Still if you are a fifteen minute drive from anything you dhould tedt it out as others daid and go without for 2 months an see if it is doable. But we save a ton by not driving to work. In my city you have to pay to park so 20 to 40 dollars a day.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 05:03:31 PM »
Cars were my job and are my hobby, so the extra ones I have should be earning money to offset the overall cost.

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 04:57:24 AM »
Cars were my job and are my hobby, so the extra ones I have should be earning money to offset the overall cost.
I have a love/hate relationship with cars. I love being in a well designed vehicle. We bought our Chevy equinox because setting in the driver's seat, you feel like you are in a cockpit, just like my old 98 mustang (long ago traded in when we had young kids). I also don't share the habit of allowing my car to define my self image BUT, I love the look of a nicely designed car, on the flip side, driving a beater DOES send a signal, I want it to send the signal that I just don't care but, society being what it is, folks DO look down their nose on someone driving something that looks like someone can't afford more (so frustrating). All that said, the equinox does fit in well since it's "accepted" by society, it is actually a little fun to drive, and it's nice to sit a little higher in a mid-sized SUV. We save a lot of money on vehicles by buying them used from CL (doesn't work everywhere but we are in a mid-sized pop area so many options to chose from) and I do the maintenance.

Do you have a favorite make/model/style to drive? Do you "have to" drive a certain vehicle since you are a mechanic and need to portray a certain image?

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 05:18:36 AM »
I look for value in buying the daily driven vehicles, so they are always bought second hand and often with more miles on the clock than most would desire......keeping them on the road is not difficult and depreciation is non-existent if I buy and sell carefully.
There's always an SUV family car for my wife and family, a Four Wheel Drive for my touring and camping and hunting, a Utility for my mustachian 'work' activities, and the American muscle car.
 At the moment the brands are Subaru, Daihatsu, Mitsubishi, and Dodge.......There's only one vehicle that won't ever be sold by me, you can guess which!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 05:33:54 AM »
Wife and I share one car (16 year old econobox sedan).

At one point we had three cars and a motorcycle....oh how times change :)

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 02:50:04 PM »
Impressive. How did you get over your issue with not having a car after dark?

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 04:18:19 PM »
Currently two 14-year-old cars (one sedan, one small SUV) for two drivers, but until recently we also had an 18-year-old convertible that was donated to the Sierra Club.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2020, 04:28:33 PM »
Two: One 2013 tiny/city car, and one 2008 minivan with ~70k miles that we hope to get at least 200k on. ;) We don't need two, but we love the minivan for camping, dog transportation, my manual labor post-FIRE side gig, and hauling around visiting friends and family. It's also MUCH easier for the elder family member we care for to get into and out of for doc appointments and the like.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 04:34:41 AM »
Zero, 2 adults.
Having a car in a Swiss city with fantastic public transportation and car sharing options makes no sense. When we travel, we rent a car. We’re currently in Cape Town and it costs USD 700 for 3 months.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 11:07:56 AM »
DW & I each have a car.  Daughter at college has one.  I have a Sprinter van that we plan to convert for traveling, but presently I haul furniture, equipment, materials, dogs, etc. with it.  (We have a lap dog & two 16 year olds that aren't quite dead yet...)  Also inherited a super low mileage older Tundra with paint that crapped out.  It's not worth much, but too nice to just give away.

I have some cheap motorcycles.  A cheap 1989 Honda street bike, a old but great KTM 300 dirt bike, and a Chinese dual-sport.  I couldn't get $7K for the lot of them.

We just bought a brand new pontoon boat last Summer & have an old Sea Doo.  I shopped for used pontoons, but couldn't find any that were worth the asking prices. 

We rarely purchase new.  But have when the numbers work.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:45:44 AM by GreenEggs »

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »
We rarely purchase new.  But have when the numbers work.

Same here, there are times to buy new....

We used to be wary of used, buying the auto industries marketing and thinking we should buy new to prevent ending up on the side of the road somewhere (happened to us as kids). Once we got that fear under control we only bought one new vehicle, a reasonable amount spent for a family hauler, which we drove to the point of the wheels falling off and the entire interior coming apart. I had bailing wire in several areas :)   We got 10+ years of "post payments" use from that ride, made it worth it over the entire lifecycle. Once it cost more to fix it than it was worth (by a factor of 5) we donated it to the local public TV station and we are pretty sure we've seen it out on the road again, probably fixed for free by local garage (for donation right off) and sold, works for us!

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 09:28:46 PM »
2 cars, 2 adults.  One Nissan Leaf and one PriusC, both hatchbacks.  Occasionally I wish we'd gotten the larger Prius.  We do as much of our driving as possible in the Leaf, Prius is backup.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 09:34:06 PM »
Three adult drivers, three vehicles, but DH walks to work. We're not getting rid of his truck, because we use it all the time for, you know, truck stuff.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2020, 05:55:21 PM »
We could go car-free and I have proposed it a few times (we're a 3 min walk from the free bus system, can bike/run/ski to most places we go, generally hate cars, etc) but my wife is uncomfortable with the idea. So we have a (sort of) car that gets covered with snow and has the battery run out of charge after we don't drive it for a month and such.

I think if there was a car share in the area of some kind for occasional car trips, we could get rid of the car. But so far there's nothing here like that.

-W

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 04:06:23 AM »
5 Drivers and one coming up. 3 Cars at home and 1 my son has at College as he goes to school full-time and Works pretty much Full time. In April he has to buy the car our serve it up to the other one living at home . Couple of years away from being down to 2 cars but we dont own anything fancy, 3 Toyotas and one Kia Soul.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2020, 07:21:52 AM »
Three vehicles for two drivers.  All drivers are retired.

One is our full sized van we use for a camper and for hauling large volume of junk we get for free or cheap that DH uses for his "art."  His quotes, not mine. 

I have my sporty little car.  He doesn't know how to drive it and has no interest.  Our most un-needed vehicle.

He has his sedan.  Good for moving small amounts of stuff/people.  This size/style is needed.

We have talked about not replacing mine once it dies, but if I go to lunch with friends he likes to take those times to go do his junk hunting and eating food I don't like.  So either the two cars are both home, or they are both on the move. 

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2020, 08:34:01 AM »
I just picked up a rental for a road trip ($419/month all inclusive)

Had no idea there was such a thing, thats an interesting alternative considering how much one could save in maintenance/insurance/etc. over just having a paid for vehicle rarely used sitting around taking up space.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »
I just picked up a rental for a road trip ($419/month all inclusive)

Had no idea there was such a thing, thats an interesting alternative considering how much one could save in maintenance/insurance/etc. over just having a paid for vehicle rarely used sitting around taking up space.

Where did you find such a reasonably priced monthly rental?

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2020, 11:54:11 AM »
That's awesome...thanks!

SeanTash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »
Wow...amazing how few people are zero.
I haven't owned a car for 15 years and probably won't again, unless I buy a motorhome at some stage.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2020, 02:00:13 PM »
Well, I'm FI but not RE yet.  Working cause the wife says I have to.  Anyways, I'm also a car guy so here's where I am and maybe the plan.

Currently, 4 drivers in the house.  Me, DW and 2 sons in college, commuting.

17 Subaru Legacy
13 Subaru Crosstrek DS
19 Subaru Crosstrek manual DS
14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for me, limited use.  Snowplow.  Offroading.  Extra vehicle
09 Ford Fusion.  Mom gave it to me when she bought a new car.  Only 85k miles.  DS side swiped a truck.  Cosmetic damage only and a $25 mirror made it good.  Insurance co totaled and I bought it back.  So it owes me nothing.  It's my usual daily.

I suppose I could walk to the grocery store instead of driving.  It would take me at least 2 hours to walk there, but if I'm retired, what else would I have to do?  :D

Moving to the future.  DS1 graduates in May.  We'll likely let him keep using the Crosstrek until he buys his own car.  We'd probably let him trade the Fusion in or something.  When I do retire, I plan to get a completely ridiculously impractical car like a Porsche 911 GT-3.  This wouldn't replace anything....it would just be an addition.

Did I mention I'm a huge car guy? 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 02:02:31 PM by Car Jack »

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2020, 02:07:01 PM »
When I do retire, I plan to get a completely ridiculously impractical car like a Porsche 911 GT-3.  This wouldn't replace anything....it would just be an addition.

Amen to that. I plan to do the same thing, except I'd be buying my dream car a few years before I retire so I can deduct a lot of the maintenance costs and depreciation as a business expense. If you buy a used car that's hitting the right spot in the depreciation curve and then deduct all the associated expenses from your tax, it works out to be not nearly as expensive as it could be, in the grand scheme of things.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »
Um, is there a way to change my response? We are taking delivery of a new/used RV today, gulp. It was crazy expensive, but DH has been looking for years and this one ticks all the boxes on his very specific list. We paid cash, but damn, we've never bought anything this expensive that wasn't firmly attached to the ground.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2020, 10:09:47 AM »
Um, is there a way to change my response? We are taking delivery of a new/used RV today, gulp. It was crazy expensive, but DH has been looking for years and this one ticks all the boxes on his very specific list. We paid cash, but damn, we've never bought anything this expensive that wasn't firmly attached to the ground.

Congrats!!

An RV isn't a car, it's a second home.  There's another thread to apologize for that somewhere around here.  ;)

(I'll head over to your journal to ask & pester you about where you're planning to go.)

Camarillo Brillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2020, 11:54:39 AM »
When I do retire, I plan to get a completely ridiculously impractical car like a Porsche 911 GT-3.  This wouldn't replace anything....it would just be an addition.

I'm a car guy, too.  I had all my cars before I retired and I now ponder selling 1 or 2 and buying another Porsche.  Here's what we have for my family of 4:

1) 1975 Porsche Carrera coupe
2) 1990 Porsche C2 Cabriolet
3) 1996 Porsche C2 Coupe
4) 2018 Porsche Macan S (wife's car)
5) 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 (my hunting vehicle)
6) 2009 Audi A6 (son #2 driver)
7) 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit (son #1 driver)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:08:43 AM by Camarillo Brillo »

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2020, 01:32:14 PM »
Wow...almost 2 per person!

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2020, 05:05:30 PM »
You should do a bikes poll... man, it's nuts around here. We have to have 20 functioning ones and other 10 in various stages of incompleteness.

-W

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »
You should do a bikes poll... man, it's nuts around here. We have to have 20 functioning ones and other 10 in various stages of incompleteness.

-W
FTFY