Author Topic: Post FIRE Picture Thread  (Read 69574 times)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Post FIRE Picture Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2015, 05:26:01 PM »
This thread needs to stay alive until March of 2018.

Does that mean you will be posting pictures of yourself when you retire?  Because it will be quite an adjustment for the regulars of this forum to have to replace our mental image of you, which currently reflects the dour mug depicted in your forum profile.

Yes, the profile pic is a rather formidable character!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 08:41:39 PM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:54:41 PM by sol »

DoNorth

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2015, 05:25:19 AM »
we're going to FIRE in about 6 months and move to our place on Lake Superior in Michigan.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2015, 06:28:32 AM »

Nonsense, he and his brother are adorable.

History is here:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/infamous-anti-mustachian-rap-song/msg335930/#msg335930

Thanks for the link and backstory. He looks much happier in the follow-up story (built his stache?).

tracylayton

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2015, 06:50:57 AM »

Nonsense, he and his brother are adorable.

History is here:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/infamous-anti-mustachian-rap-song/msg335930/#msg335930

Boy, do I feel dumb...I thought that was an actual photo of you!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2015, 07:50:44 AM »

No, I am dashingly handsome in real life. At least by comparison.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »

No, I am dashingly handsome in real life. At least by comparison.

I always figured it was a mugshot!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »
So I am not alone - I also thought it was a mug shot! Won't be able to identify you at an MMM gathering! Shucks!

jordanread

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2015, 08:01:18 PM »
So I am not alone - I also thought it was a mug shot! Won't be able to identify you at an MMM gathering! Shucks!
I thought it was him too!!

OK here's a pretty old photo of me (10 years ago??)  on a 2 month long southwest camping trip about 8 months after I ER'd

For some reason, I thought that you had retired 3 years ago...wierd. It was a very specific number in my brain as it relates to you, but hell, that's even more awesome than I thought!!! Spartana, you are awesome!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2015, 09:31:21 PM »
Spartana, that pretty much matches the image I had of you in my mind. You look extremely...capable. And badass. ;)

You are roughly my current age in that photo. Hope my next ten years are as filled with adventures as yours appear to have been. This summer is really the start of my ER...the first 6 months have been about decompressing from work and getting in shape.

Hope to share lots of photographic details of my ER journey here...actually, count on it.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:35:14 PM by Jon_Snow »

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2015, 05:50:18 PM »

OK here's a pretty old photo of me (10 years ago??)  on a 2 month long southwest camping trip about 8 months after I ER'd

Nice bike, what make and model?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2015, 10:14:44 AM »

OK where are everyone's else's photos? I expect one new one a day from every ER person :-)!

Yeah, no kidding...the photo output is seriously lacking lately. ;)

Well, I'm going to post something pretty cool this evening in an attempt to do my part.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2015, 11:23:52 AM »
Any pictures I take right now are white on white.  And at these temperatures I don't really want my cell phone out to take them.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2015, 12:46:48 PM »
Any pictures I take right now are white on white.  And at these temperatures I don't really want my cell phone out to take them.

RetiredAt63, just back from a jog in a T-shirt.

When are you moving to the west coast again? ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2015, 02:37:53 PM »

Canadians jog through the snow in a tshirt-- didn't you know?  Maybe throw on a hoodie if the temperature drops to -44

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2015, 04:46:15 PM »
OK I wasn't quite FI at the time but damn it was fun.. This was taken in Belgium.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2015, 05:02:09 PM »
When am I moving? Can't sell the house in 2015, so not until 2016 at the earliest.  But definitely want to hit the west cost this summer.  I am a lousy kayaker but good canoist.  hint hint

OK, I realized that even though my vacation to southern California (my sister winters there, she is doing the retired thing very nicely) wasn't a "real postFIRE" activity, I never made it to my sister's when I was working, because I had so little flex in vacation time.  So I have decided it counts.  Now, how do I get pictures from my hard drive to here?  I don't post elsewhere.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2015, 10:15:30 AM »
Is it not possible to embed youtube videos on this forum? I posted a video on another forum I frequent which proved to be quite appreciated...would like to do so here as well. Can any tech savvy MMM's help a brother out? (RetiredAt63, you aren't alone in your technological bewilderment)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2015, 11:01:08 AM »
I am usually technically OK for a non-IT person, so this is particularly irritating.  If I figure out how to do this, I might even take a picture of my back deck (well, the pile of snow on my back deck).

And bring on the videos  ;-)

Is it not possible to embed youtube videos on this forum? I posted a video on another forum I frequent which proved to be quite appreciated...would like to do so here as well. Can any tech savvy MMM's help a brother out? (RetiredAt63, you aren't alone in your technological bewilderment)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2015, 11:41:29 AM »
OK, Jon_Snow has been reduced to links, and I have pictures to post.

Jeremy, Benjenn, Jon_Snow, bop, RootofGood, Frog Girl, step-in-time, CanuckExpat, TreeTired, Doubleh, Spartana, DoNorth (nice pun in the name there), and Exflyboy have all posted pictures here.

So, HOW???  Who managed to load them from their own computers?  Please tell?  Pretty please?

If you tell I will post a snow picture.  My most exciting retirement activity today was shoveling my front steps and a path to the driveway so I could get the mail.  I may even get out the snowblower later today for the driveway.  Such a soft post-FIRE life (if I were still working I would have been doing this super early in the dark).

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2015, 01:19:51 PM »
When you are posting (rather than using "quick reply" - which you may or may not have), just below the area you type in is "+ Attachments and other options" click that, and you get the ability to attach a picture.

The pictures are of the Eyre Peninsula in South Australia (the second is of the Remarkable rocks - you can see people there)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:47:09 PM by deborah »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2015, 02:35:38 PM »
Wish me luck.  This is some of the terrain in the San Andreas Fault zone just east of Palm Springs. 

Edit - it worked!  It doesn't show in preview though.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:37:16 PM by RetiredAt63 »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2015, 02:53:38 PM »
I could have done this vacation with my sister any time, not just in FIRE, I suppose, but when I was working our schedules never fit.  So these are semi-legitimate retired photos.

Lunch at the Polo club.  The food is not expensive, the mimosas are.  Lovely warm sunny day (which made it so hard to come home).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »
A view of the Coachella Valley (mostly Palm Valley) from highway 74 (it goes to Idyllwild).  The San Andreas Fault runs sort of along the base of the mountains in the distance.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 03:20:32 PM »
Because I also use Show New Replies to my posts as the first thing I check every visit.

This thread is great motivation!!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »
Can't figure out how to embed my video here...but here it is, via a link to youtube.

I shot this on my iPhone a few summers back. Please excuse the heavy breathing - I had just sprinted about 100m down a beach to reach a high rocky bluff in order to get a nice vantage point to shoot footage of my "friends" as they passed by.

This footage, more than any lengthy post I could author, explains WHY I sought FIRE. This is basically my backyard...encounters like this are part of the magic of living in these PNW islands....I expect to capture many more of these moments now that I am FIRE'd.

Watch for the baby at 1:25!

http://youtu.be/GFME7Vjm-UU

That is so awesome, Jon_Snow! I've seen orca pods from BC Ferries before between Vancouver-Victoria, and have seen porpoises from a beach on Salt Spring, but never ever have I seen anything quite like that! Amazing. Thanks for sharing :)

You are more than welcome Allsummerlong! The video really does no justice to how spectacular these creatures are to witness in person. What I want to do next is get an underwater microphone (hydrophone) and synch some underwater footage with their vocalizations as they swim by. I have a 25' pole onto which I can put my GoPro camera so if these whales pass this close to the rocks again I should be able to get shots of them underwater. I can also launch my kayak if I want to get even closer. The thing is, there are very strict regulations in terms of how close boats (even kayaks) can approach the whales. But, if they CHOOSE to approach you, that is a different story. I have experienced orcas passing beneath my kayak before - and I will never forget how SMALL I felt at that moment.

In the nearby San Juan Islands, marine scientists have installed hydrophones which anyone can access - this summer, while I am tending my garden, I can use my phone to monitor underwater sounds to see if the orcas are in the area (I just checked a few minutes ago, no whale sound, just some boat engine noise). If I hear them I probably have about an hour until they are in my vicinity...I can mobilize my equipment and head to the same spot in which I got the previous video. Needless to say, this is going to one of my favourite post-FIRE hobbies.

I really hope to share some really cool things with my MMM friends in the coming years...

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2015, 03:17:58 AM »
After being at Lakes Entrance, I went to Mallacoota today

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2015, 05:33:19 AM »
Nice Deborah, always wanted to do that SE corner of Victoria.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »
I was really impressed by the size of the tree ferns - there are three levels in the photo, and you easily walk under the fronds of the shortest one which are over the path. This was at the rainforest walk near Cann River, but there are tree ferns in the rainforest near Mallacoota.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:24:37 PM by deborah »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
You guys mind if I post photos despite not being anywhere close to FIRE?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »

I don't have a problem with it. Technically, I wasn't FIRE'd when I shot the whale video - I was still a working stiff at the time.

Post away, my friend!!

I've got another nature encounter video coming...very different...a bit odd really. ;)

jordanread

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2015, 01:47:35 PM »

No.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2015, 02:06:18 PM »
I'm a bit shy about showing my face here.

That's me on top of the Sydney harbor bridge, with of course the Sydney opera house in the background.

What a beautiful night. The guide said it was the best night climb he's ever done (he's been doing this for a year or something). We had a clear sky and a full moon, so that lit up the harbor. Normally you can't see the water--it's just darkness. He was able to point out small islands in the harbor that you normally can't see at night.

A friend who had studied abroad in Australia (though not in Sydney) very highly recommended this to me. I said oh ok. I later checked the price and saw it was 185 AUD. I went back to her and asked her about that, and she said it was worth every penny. And I'm glad I took her advice.

What's interesting is the night climbs are cheaper than any other time of day. Which I thought to be odd because I saw photos of the day climb...and thought it looked pretty boring. At least to me, seeing a skyline lit up like that is far more interesting than a daytime view.

Sadly I was one day late for Vivd, when the bridge would've been lit up in a similar fashion to the photo of the opera house.

If you're ever in Sydney, I highly recommend it.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »
*sigh*

I MUST get to Aussieland one day.

In my teens and 20's, I was a HUGE Midnight Oil fan...their passion about the country even moved this Canadian all the way across the Pacific.

Will get there one day....

jordanread

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2015, 02:18:54 PM »

That's me on top of the Sydney harbor bridge, with of course the Sydney opera house in the background.

What a beautiful night. The guide said it was the best night climb he's ever done (he's been doing this for a year or something). We had a clear sky and a full moon, so that lit up the harbor. Normally you can't see the water--it's just darkness. He was able to point out small islands in the harbor that you normally can't see at night.

A friend who had studied abroad in Australia (though not in Sydney) very highly recommended this to me. I said oh ok. I later checked the price and saw it was 185 AUD. I went back to her and asked her about that, and she said it was worth every penny. And I'm glad I took her advice.

What's interesting is the night climbs are cheaper than any other time of day. Which I thought to be odd because I saw photos of the day climb...and thought it looked pretty boring. At least to me, seeing a skyline lit up like that is far more interesting than a daytime view.

Sadly I was one day late for Vivd, when the bridge would've been lit up in a similar fashion to the photo of the opera house.

I don't get why you don't want to show your face. It's pretty square and non-descript. :P

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »

I don't get why you don't want to show your face. It's pretty square and non-descript. :P
Yea I've been thinking about getting a makeover. Get a little color in my cheeks at least.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2015, 07:39:04 PM »
*sigh*

I MUST get to Aussieland one day.

In my teens and 20's, I was a HUGE Midnight Oil fan...their passion about the country even moved this Canadian all the way across the Pacific.

Will get there one day....
You should! I want to go back sometime. I had the good fortune of getting a conference paper accepted when the conference was held in Sydney, so my hotel and flight were all paid for by my school. I also got a per diem for meals.
I wanted to visit other places in Australia and then fly back at least a couple days later (they would've covered at least how much my original flight would've cost), but I had to take two tests back stateside, and then fly out for another conference in Spain at the end of the week. No complaints though, I still got a free trip.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2015, 11:36:33 AM »
Can't figure out how to embed my video here...but here it is, via a link to youtube.

I shot this on my iPhone a few summers back. Please excuse the heavy breathing - I had just sprinted about 100m down a beach to reach a high rocky bluff in order to get a nice vantage point to shoot footage of my "friends" as they passed by.

This footage, more than any lengthy post I could author, explains WHY I sought FIRE. This is basically my backyard...encounters like this are part of the magic of living in these PNW islands....I expect to capture many more of these moments now that I am FIRE'd.

Watch for the baby at 1:25!

http://youtu.be/GFME7Vjm-UU

That was awesome!

I still love your quote in the intro thread where you mentioned there are beautiful things like this happening all around us all of the time but we are stuck indoors missing it all. Even though I was already on the path to FIRE when reading that, it just gave me that extra push to get to FIRE.

The other day at work I heard one of my co-workers talking on the phone to someone from our company's office up north in the tundra (keep in mind that I think anything north of Florida is the tundra). Our weather is so nice in the winter so this co-worker was telling the person up north that our weather was so beautiful outside, which is true, but then I thought we were all stuck indoors until the sun went down so what is the point of the nice weather?!?!? We were stuck in cubicles and conference rooms instead of being outdoors.

I suppose if I had to work part-time in the future I'd pick our summer months as the time to work and stay indoors and take the other seasons off to enjoy the great weather.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 11:02:50 PM »
Weeeeeee....:)

jordanread

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2015, 12:39:04 PM »
Weeeeeee....:)

You have something in your nose...but that is awesome!!!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2015, 12:51:11 PM »
Thanks..:)

It took my Wife about 10 minutes for flying inverted to get that pic.. She was less than happy hanging upside down in the harness for that long, but she got it though..:)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »
The 2 reasons I retired early! Somewhere in the NorCal woods.

Those are two great reasons ;)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »
I found myself loitering by the lake in my back yard for about 10 minutes. 

After I hauled a few hundred pounds of firewood from a neighbor's house about 1000 ft away, I needed to cool off a bit.  It was 70 degrees and felt like spring.  Then it started raining and ended up the day in the 20's.  But I can already see the green pollen film on the lake so I know spring is almost here!   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2015, 08:39:49 AM »
It is still winter here, -14C today.  So here is what my surroundings look like  ;-)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »
Spring will come, I promise ;)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »
Theoretically spring is here, according to the calendar.  We have a forecast high above zero for next Wednesday and Thursday, but nights are still cold (actually good sugaring weather).  But then cold again, and nights below zero well into April.  I have plants started as an act of hope/faith.  Retirement doesn't help. Maybe I need a part-time job at a garden centre. 

Remind me next August to stop complaining about the heat and humidity, OK?  ;-)

Spring will come, I promise ;)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
I posted about this elsewhere, but here goes...
This is DH and me, all dressed up for a fancy fundraiser. I got his tux for $35 and my dress for $50. This enabled us to have lots of money left over to donate to one of our favorite charities. Now that I'm FIRE, there's more money for fun stuff like this because I'm not so focused on where every penny is going. There's enough, there really is enough. And yes, that is my hand.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2015, 09:31:57 AM »
Diane,  you & DH look amazing!  No one would ever guess that you got those nice duds on the cheap.  That dress is stunning on you!

Glad you had such a wonderful evening & were able to enjoy gifting extra to your favorite charity.
You all are so inspiring for those of us still in the workforce on our way to FIRE. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »
Yes--great pic of you and Hubs, Diane!  You both look very happy!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2015, 06:39:48 AM »

Ok, that is seriously badass!

When I grow up and can post FIRE pictures, they will look mostly like this (one of the many climbing trip reports I've posted over the years):

http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11998

:-)