Author Topic: Post FIRE Picture Thread  (Read 69575 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Post FIRE Picture Thread
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:19:41 AM »
Let's see some pictures of those white sand beaches, majestic mountains, perfect gardens, clear waters or anything else you are seeing or doing now that you are FIREd!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Post FIRE Picture Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:20:53 AM »
Following.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:26:35 AM »
Yeah, I want to see Jon Snow's pictures of Orcas from his kayak....

And ExFlyBoy's Brazil adventures.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:28:37 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »

You got it. I am going to be on the water a lot this Summer. Photographic badassity should be plentiful. :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:03:20 AM by Jon_Snow »

Jeremy

• Stubble
  • We retired in our 30's and are full time travelers
    • Go Curry Cracker!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »
Me swimming with whale sharks near Isla Mujeres, Mexico in 2013

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:05:23 AM »

Wow!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:10:42 AM »
Following.

I like how at the moment, there are more followers than actual posters of pictures =P

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:20:05 AM »
We're not retiring until the end of the year but this is our view from our beach condo... can't wait until we get to see this every day!  :)  It is definitely calling to us...

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:27:08 AM »
This is was taken on our beach in the Baja this past November...as usual, we were virtually alone on the 5 mile stretch of sand. We usually encounter more donkeys on the beach than people, which suits us fine. ;)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 11:03:45 AM »
Following.

I like how at the moment, there are more followers than actual posters of pictures =P

:p

Adding to that list of followers.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
Following...

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
The pool and ocean view from our place in St. Maarten...

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 12:52:40 PM »

Nice. My wife got to do this last summer but I preferred snorkeling with the kids off Playa Norte. Love Isla Mujeres and plan to spend more time there post FIRE. We were still able to fit in 2 weeks on a relatively low budget thanks to some frugal planning.

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »
I can't help but follow this thread.
Hopefully I can post my FIRE pictures in a few years :)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »
Following.

Following.

Adding to that list of followers.

Following...

I can't help but follow this thread.

Alright people.  I realize that you want to add to your post count in order to be cool like me and the rest of the Senior Mustachians, and I obviously have no issue with that.  :)  But if you ever want to skip a post just to state that you're following, you can still follow the thread.  Just click on the "Notify" button that's in the upper right next to the "Reply" button above the first post. (or below the last post in the lower right)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:38:08 PM by Eric »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »
Alright people.  I realize that you want to add to your post count in order to be cool like me and the rest of the Senior Mustachians, and I obviously have no issue with that.  :)  But if you ever want to skip a post just to state that you're following, you can still follow the thread.  Just click on the "Notify" button that's in the upper right next to the "Reply" button above the first post.

As a senior mustachian I assumed my publicly following it would lend weight and gravitas to the endeavor such that the post-FIREs might be more likely to deign to take a break from their lives of milk and honeydew to favor us with a response.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 03:15:06 PM »

Alright people.  I realize that you want to add to your post count in order to be cool like me and the rest of the Senior Mustachians, and I obviously have no issue with that.  :)  But if you ever want to skip a post just to state that you're following, you can still follow the thread.  Just click on the "Notify" button that's in the upper right next to the "Reply" button above the first post. (or below the last post in the lower right)

I tried that once, but the posts don't show up on my 'Show new replies to your posts' page that way. :(
It just spammed my email, which I don't check nearly as often as I do this forum.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 04:03:49 PM »
Hmmm... maybe I'll do a timeline thing - this is what I did when I first FIRE'd years ago, this is what I did next, this is what I did next. OK that might be just too darn gloatishly evil!

Do it!! I love gloatishly evil!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 04:09:24 PM »
Nothing can match Jon Snows or the photo of the person swimming with sharks or the nice beach condo. A picture of a tent in the woods or gear on the back of a motorcycle just ain't the same. Hmmm... maybe I'll do a timeline thing - this is what I did when I first FIRE'd years ago, this is what I did next, this is what I did next. OK that might be just too darn gloatishly evil!

Most of us would probably settle for a picture of you sitting on your couch watching TV at 10:30am on a Wednesday, considering most of us were at work at the time.  :)

Alright people.  I realize that you want to add to your post count in order to be cool like me and the rest of the Senior Mustachians, and I obviously have no issue with that.  :)  But if you ever want to skip a post just to state that you're following, you can still follow the thread.  Just click on the "Notify" button that's in the upper right next to the "Reply" button above the first post.

As a senior mustachian I assumed my publicly following it would lend weight and gravitas to the endeavor such that the post-FIREs might be more likely to deign to take a break from their lives of milk and honeydew to favor us with a response.

Dude, you're cracking me up lately!  Between this and the Maeby Funke post, you're on a roll.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 07:11:04 PM »
Well, here's a couple.  The first is me chilling in my hammock on the back deck looking out over the lake.  That must have been last year because we haven't seen any snow this winter.

The next pic is one of the highlights from my random trip to the art museum at 1:30 in the afternoon on a Thursday.  Just because I could and I was in that part of town already.  It was pretty awesome (though that blue trapezoid is a piece of crap). 

The last picture is on the gulf coast in Mexico near the border with Belize.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:20:57 PM by RootofGood »

Jeremy

• Stubble
    • Go Curry Cracker!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 10:10:55 PM »

Nice. My wife got to do this last summer but I preferred snorkeling with the kids off Playa Norte. Love Isla Mujeres and plan to spend more time there post FIRE. We were still able to fit in 2 weeks on a relatively low budget thanks to some frugal planning.

Playa Norte is a beautiful beach, one of the nicest we've seen anywhere. 

Wow!

Thanks!  My wife is a pro photographer, she gets some great shots

Here is another of my favorites:  the sunrise over Lake Atitlan, Guatemala.  You can see 4 of the region's volcanoes, the one in the foreground is Volcan San Pedro

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 11:27:44 PM »

Doesn't clicking "notify" send you an email for every reply?  I just want it to show up in my unread replies page.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 05:20:57 AM »
Well, here's a couple.  The first is me chilling in my hammock on the back deck looking out over the lake.  That must have been last year because we haven't seen any snow this winter.

The next pic is one of the highlights from my random trip to the art museum at 1:30 in the afternoon on a Thursday.  Just because I could and I was in that part of town already.  It was pretty awesome (though that blue trapezoid is a piece of crap). 

The last picture is on the gulf coast in Mexico near the border with Belize.

The last one looks like Costa Maya.

if it is then I'd recommend the south end of the village next time.. the further from the port you go the more relaxed and cheaper it is. (although any time you are hanging out down there is pretty good)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »

if it is then I'd recommend the south end of the village next time.. the further from the port you go the more relaxed and cheaper it is. (although any time you are hanging out down there is pretty good)

Yes, costa maya, good eye!  We didn't even leave the disney-fied cruise ship port area.  We did get to sit and watch the dolphins dance for a couple of hours.  Thanks to our 2 year old, our range was pretty limited in port, so we skipped going down to the "real" village.  Very pretty area and wonderful clear water.  We might visit the area again and stay for a while (cruise ship = great cheap way to scout out locations without committing to a long term stay).  It was very hot and humid though. 

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 04:53:31 PM »
We're not retiring until the end of the year but this is our view from our beach condo... can't wait until we get to see this every day!  :)  It is definitely calling to us...

Is this near Melbourne Florida?    That looks just like my dad's old place up the road from there.

tracylayton

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 05:11:46 PM »
Condo on the Riviera Maya Golf Course in Mexico (with private beach area). Unfortunately, it's for sale due to the divorce...unless I buy dear ex-husband out.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 06:50:04 PM »

Doesn't clicking "notify" send you an email for every reply?  I just want it to show up in my unread replies page.

Yes, it does.  The same as making a post and clicking the "Notify me of replies" check box that's an option under the "Attachments and other options" section that you can expand.  I was under the assumption that the only way to "follow" a thread was through the Notify function and I was trying to save people a step.

I don't even know what the unread replies page is.  And I just searched for it for awhile, but can't find anything similar.  So that's why I thought this was the only way.  (and still do, but apparently there's another secret way)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 07:02:21 PM »

Yes, it does.  The same as making a post and clicking the "Notify me of replies" check box that's an option under the "Attachments and other options" section that you can expand.  I was under the assumption that the only way to "follow" a thread was through the Notify function and I was trying to save people a step.

I don't even know what the unread replies page is.  And I just searched for it for awhile, but can't find anything similar.  So that's why I thought this was the only way.  (and still do, but apparently there's another secret way)
At the top left of any forum page you will find
Hello Eric
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
We are talking about the last item there.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »
Jeez, even I knew that.  Eric, how in the world did you pass the Senior Mustachian test without that basic forum knowledge?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 07:28:45 PM »
Jeez, even I knew that.  Eric, how in the world did you pass the Senior Mustachian test without that basic forum knowledge?

Shit!!  I don't know!  I've never seen that before. 

Stand by.... I need to delete some posts before they rescind my Senior status...

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 08:03:14 PM »
I'm actually beginning to think I have to slink over to ERE with the other 'po folks to post a photo of my "vacation house"  - which is a tent, and not even a very nice one. But it is easily transportable via bike or motorcycle or even on my back!

Hmmm... this site still won't allow me to post a photo from my computer usin te browse button. Oh well, some others here (Iris Lily) have seen my "condo" folded up on the back of my motorcycle for an long road trip my first yar in ER.

Are you using the attachment section rather than the Mona Lisa button?

I do hope you'll keep trying. These fancypants retirements are making me feel quite outclassed. My post-FIRE plans involve bicycle touring...

tracylayton

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 08:35:29 PM »
Love the condo pics Frog girl. Too bad you have to sell it in the divorce but maybe that will give you more freedom to do other things in the future rather than be tied to one lace.

I'm actually beginning to think I have to slink over to ERE with the other 'po folks to post a photo of my "vacation house"  - which is a tent, and not even a very nice one. But it is easily transportable via bike or motorcycle or even on my back!

Hmmm... this site still won't allow me to post a photo from my computer usin te browse button. Oh well, some others here (Iris Lily) have seen my "condo" folded up on the back of my motorcycle for an long road trip my first yar in ER.

Spartana, the ex will get the first $80,000 from the proceeds of the condo and I will get what's left (about $60,000). I will have the money to buy him out when one of my rental properties closes in April. However, I would be tying up $140,000 in a property in another country that would generate an unknown amount of revenue by placing it in the rental pool. I feel like it would be smarter to invest that $140,000 in a 5th rental property close to home or in the stock market. I couldn't post my photos until I also posted a comment to go with them. Don't know if that's the same issue you're facing? I am impressed that you retired at 42...no slinking is necessary!

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 05:26:51 AM »

Yes, costa maya, good eye!  We didn't even leave the disney-fied cruise ship port area.  We did get to sit and watch the dolphins dance for a couple of hours.  Thanks to our 2 year old, our range was pretty limited in port, so we skipped going down to the "real" village.  Very pretty area and wonderful clear water.  We might visit the area again and stay for a while (cruise ship = great cheap way to scout out locations without committing to a long term stay).  It was very hot and humid though.

I liked it down there. be nice to do a winter there and use that as a way to learn Spanish!! 

Jeremy

• Stubble
    • Go Curry Cracker!
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2015, 03:24:37 AM »
This one is from a bar we found in Mexico City. 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2015, 07:06:41 AM »
Great photo! Clever marketing by whoever designed the sign. Did you go in and have a beer?

Jeremy

• Stubble
    • Go Curry Cracker!
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2015, 07:28:35 AM »
Great photo! Clever marketing by whoever designed the sign. Did you go in and have a beer?

But of course :)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2015, 01:00:50 PM »
I liked it down there. be nice to do a winter there and use that as a way to learn Spanish!!

Maybe so!  Watching fish swim 10-20 feet down was amazing.  Some of the clearest water we have seen.

I'm thinking about Oaxaca, MX for a summer since it's actually nicer and cooler there than in North Carolina during our hot, humid summers.

Jeremy

• Stubble
    • Go Curry Cracker!
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2015, 09:49:19 PM »

Maybe so!  Watching fish swim 10-20 feet down was amazing.  Some of the clearest water we have seen.

I'm thinking about Oaxaca, MX for a summer since it's actually nicer and cooler there than in North Carolina during our hot, humid summers.

We found Oaxaca (the city) to be painfully hot in April, I can't imagine what it is like in summer (or North Carolina for that matter.)  It is a really beautiful city though, and there is some great food and really friendly people
http://www.gocurrycracker.com/oaxaca-de-juarez-mexico/

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »
Hope nobody minds but I couldn't help post pictures from when I was kayaking in that neck of the woods:

I couldn't make it up to the orcas ,but did see some seals. Unfortunately wasn't FIRE at the time, but was in grad school ,which can be similar if you do it right :)
And will definately be kayaking back up there once we are FIRE, or before

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 09:21:06 PM »
UGH - Still can't post a picture using the attachment browse button. Anyone else having this problem? I did add text before trying to do an attachment from my computer and that didn't work either. Won't let me delecte/remove this post either. OH well...

You could upload them somewhere else (flickr, photobucket, imgur, etc) and them using the [img.] [/img.] tags.  Accessible by clicking the Mona Lisa button also (it's the one below the B bold button). 

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 09:30:23 PM »

Ever been to Highlands, NC?  It's cooler than most of the entire eastern seaboard in summer (average highs June-Aug are mid to upper 70's).  Spent part of the summer there last year...tons of hiking, greenway trails, waterfalls, and the ability to be outside enjoying it without wilting.  Bit of rain though.

I haven't been to Highlands but grew up visiting the NC mountains probably a dozen times per year.  Mostly areas between Linville Falls and Asheville down to Rutherford County.  Definitely a lot cooler up there.  We spent a long weekend up there in the summer of 2014 at Lake Lure/Chimney Rock. 

This summer we're thinking about driving to Nashville for 5-7 days and maybe stop for another 5-7 days somewhere relatively cool in the mountains near some water and trails.   

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2015, 09:31:32 PM »
Hangin out in our neighbor's backyard.  We don't live on the lake ourselves but they let us take out their canoe. 

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »

We found Oaxaca (the city) to be painfully hot in April, I can't imagine what it is like in summer (or North Carolina for that matter.)  It is a really beautiful city though, and there is some great food and really friendly people
http://www.gocurrycracker.com/oaxaca-de-juarez-mexico/

You guys picked the hottest month of the year!  :)  According to Weatherbase, average highs in April are 92 whereas they drop to 83 by July.  It's rainier in July but about the same as here in Raleigh (4-5 inches) so not really that bad.  The average high in July in Raleigh is 90 with some ridiculous humidity, so 83 in Oaxaca is "cooling off weather".  The average dew point (a rough measure of how comfortable it is) is 57 in Oaxaca and 69 in Raleigh.  Somewhere in the 60's is where it gets uncomfortably warm. 

Thanks for sharing that link.  That's part of what motivated me to take another look at Oaxaca.  I've heard a lot of good things about it over the years but we never made it that far south while we were bumming around Mexico. 

Doubleh

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 06:30:12 AM »
OK not strictly FIRE but thought this might serve as a reminder that the benefits of Mustachianism start long before you reach that milestone. In my case having a good savings rate and FU money meant that when a good friend offered me the chance of a lifetime to crew his boat across the atlantic it wasn't a big deal to miss several weeks of income. Perhaps more importantly it gave me the confidence to be able tell my employer I was going to do it and would love to have a job to come back to, but if not thats ok I would sort something else out.

The trip itself was actually pretty cheap - accommodation is onboard and there's no restaurants in the middle of the ocean - and even flying my wife and daughter out to spend two weeks on the boat in the Caribbean when we arrived, and my air fare back, were covered by air miles from credit cards. Swimming in the middle of the ocean when we were becalmed, or watching the dolphins play in the bow wave were priceless!

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 07:01:22 AM »
Ever been to Highlands, NC?  It's cooler than most of the entire eastern seaboard in summer (average highs June-Aug are mid to upper 70's).  Spent part of the summer there last year...tons of hiking, greenway trails, waterfalls, and the ability to be outside enjoying it without wilting.  Bit of rain though.

I’d be interested to know how you visited Highlands in a moderately mustachian manner.   The Highlands with which I am familiar seemed to be mostly old money and $1M++ estates.     The place is lovely, but without a home-stay invite I’d probably have to drive in for the day from Cashiers, Franklin or Rabun County, GA. 

jordanread

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 08:31:08 AM »
Oh man, this thread is inspiring. Also, it's awesome to see Jeremy pop in ;-).

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »

I’d be interested to know how you visited Highlands in a moderately mustachian manner.   The Highlands with which I am familiar seemed to be mostly old money and $1M++ estates.     The place is lovely, but without a home-stay invite I’d probably have to drive in for the day from Cashiers, Franklin or Rabun County, GA.

The campground is a couple miles out of town ($16/nt, limited to 14 nights).  Also rented a house near the botanic gardens for 3 weeks (for $2.8k) because I was considering buying a house in Highlands (there were a few affordable places in town under $200k).

Not yet FIRE, but have a flexible job that lets me slow travel and check out possible FIRE summer locations. Asheville, and specifically Highlands was a contender because of the incredible cool summer weather and outdoors.

Jumped the gun though!  Love the pics/ideas here and will try to contain my excitement in future :)  Carry on post-FIREs...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:49:01 AM by step-in-time »

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
Thanks RoG for the suggestion.  Where I moved to about a year after I FIRE'd. Back living at the beach now but this place is less than a 90 minute drive away.

Whew, I can rest easy now. Thank you.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 10:09:34 PM »
This thread needs to stay alive until March of 2018.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 09:25:44 AM »
This thread needs to stay alive until March of 2018.

Does that mean you will be posting pictures of yourself when you retire?  Because it will be quite an adjustment for the regulars of this forum to have to replace our mental image of you, which currently reflects the dour mug depicted in your forum profile.