Author Topic: Post-FIRE living near a lake in VA, TN or KY?  (Read 9653 times)

trufire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Post-FIRE living near a lake in VA, TN or KY?
« on: July 20, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »
I am newly FIRE and my wife will be FIRE at the end of the month. We are both in our upper 40s. We live in a paid off house in a suburb of Boston MA, have no family in MA, hate the snow and the HCOL. We are looking to eventually relocate- renting for a while in an "area" first to see if we like it and then pick exactly a house where we really want to live.

My wife is a city woman from LA CA. My wife has allergies to pollen and she is a magnet for biting insects. She has suffered somewhat where we live but thankfully is fine about living someplace that is not too much worse than where we are. She also wants a place that is not "unbearably" humid.

I'm originally from IL, growing up on a small money-making "hobby" farm. I love the outdoors. I want to live either lakeside or reasonably close to a large lake because I like to fish. We can easily afford a lakeside home or a small "farm." My wife and I want to live around 10-50 miles from a metropolitan area so we can occasionally visit or make an occasionally needed purchase. A smaller community that has a college is fine.

The above criteria has allowed us to narrow/eliminate possibilities. The only real issue is that neither one of us has spent any time where I have picked out via internet searching. So our plan is to do some reconnaissance in a couple of weeks. Here is a first list of potential places we may visit, in order of a possible loop we might drive, spending around 7-10 days total on the road. If we like an area, we would go back on another trip to find a place to rent. (Note: we *may* consider the Northwest as another possible area but that would be a separate later trip if this is a complete bust).

Roanoke VA-near Smith Mountain lake area 

North and/or west of Knoxville TN, possibly near one of these lakes-Douglas, Cherokee or Norris *This is an area I am most interested in.

Cookeville TN, near Center Hill Lake

Bowling Green KY, near Barren River Lake

Somerset/Russell Springs KY near Lake Cumberland **least likely area?

Why these areas? I am trying to pick areas at higher elevation because the heat/humidity will be less....I am moderately concerned about pollen...Some areas may have some crime issues...I am looking at this from a quality of life improvement. COL is a lesser consideration because all of these areas have significantly lower COL than MA.

If there is anyone who lives, lived or has visited these areas, I'd love to hear your comments-good or bad. I'm also interested to hear of other potential spots.

Thanks!

Cougar

• Bristles
Re: Post-FIRE living near a lake in VA, TN or KY?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 08:03:57 PM »

just throwing my suggestion because you asked for suggestions. i like asheville, nc. no immediate lake but there are lakes around, lots of cheap towns and land nearby; i'm considering it; but seems there's lots of small towns down the blue ridge; just got to find one you like.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
I live in KY, so I have been to all of the KY places that you list.  I like the KY lake area better than any of those that you list.  Murray and Paducah would be the biggest cities in the area.  Benton is also a decent size town with about 5000 people and there is a Walmart there.  There are some very good restaurants in the area.  We make several weekend trips there each year.   

trufire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:04:47 AM »
I like the KY lake area better than any of those that you list.  Murray and Paducah would be the biggest cities in the area.  Benton is also a decent size town with about 5000 people and there is a Walmart there.

Thanks for the input. The Kentucky lake area is another possibility which we may explore. It was on my short list initially but my wife was less enthusiastic, saying it was too far away from a large city so we pushed it further down our list.

just throwing my suggestion because you asked for suggestions. i like asheville, nc. no immediate lake but there are lakes around, lots of cheap towns and land nearby; i'm considering it; but seems there's lots of small towns down the blue ridge; just got to find one you like.

My wife had some coworkers recommend Asheville as well. It is rated highly as a desirable place to retire on some websites.  I really want to live closer to a large lake. 

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 11:13:58 AM »
My boss has already scoped out lakefront property in GA, outside Augusta, for his retirement.  Apparently really nice there, cheap as hell, lots of amenities.  Don't know about the humidity though.

The Cashiers/Highlands area of NC definitely meets the higher altitude/cooler requirement, but it's a pretty pricey area.  Don't know about lakes, but really nice rivers.

zoltani

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 11:53:12 AM »
Fontana Lake. Such a beautiful area right on the edge of the Smokies. Next on my list would probably be Norris Lake. All of your choices are gonna be humid as hell, elevation won't matter.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:42:37 PM »
I live in KY, so I have been to all of the KY places that you list.  I like the KY lake area better than any of those that you list.  Murray and Paducah would be the biggest cities in the area.  Benton is also a decent size town with about 5000 people and there is a Walmart there.  There are some very good restaurants in the area.  We make several weekend trips there each year.

+1 for Kentucky Lake
Don't forget hopkinsville on the east side of LBL.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 12:45:49 PM »
Watching with interest, since lake living is high on my list as well, and those are all do-able areas of the country (ie. not too alien, like that mythic PNW would be).

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »
My wife is from Roanoke, we both went to Virginia Tech (40 minutes away) and love Smith Mountain Lake. 

Roanoke is a great small city, very scenic and friendly.  SML is a huge lake.  Not sure about the fishing but I did once catch a large carp...

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »
I agree with the poster above who said you will NOT escape humidity in Middle Tennessee, but it could be an option; may small towns lie mid-way between Nashville and Knoxville (roughly 2 hours to each of those cities) for your occasional forays into larger cities and for proximity to airports when needed.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:49:36 PM by Zoot »

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 09:18:56 AM »
My wife has allergies to pollen and she is a magnet for biting insects. She has suffered somewhat where we live but thankfully is fine about living someplace that is not too much worse than where we are. She also wants a place that is not "unbearably" humid.

I'm not sure what your criteria was for picking these places exactly, but they seem to miss on every single one of your wife's "issues."

That area is one of the worst for pollen in the country (it's like a giant bulls-eye on TN, KY, MO). It's also pretty darn humid there with tons of mosquitos and ticks.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
My wife has allergies to pollen and she is a magnet for biting insects. She has suffered somewhat where we live but thankfully is fine about living someplace that is not too much worse than where we are. She also wants a place that is not "unbearably" humid.

I'm not sure what your criteria was for picking these places exactly, but they seem to miss on every single one of your wife's "issues."

That area is one of the worst for pollen in the country (it's like a giant bulls-eye on TN, KY, MO). It's also pretty darn humid there with tons of mosquitos and ticks.
I was thinking the same thing. Chart from Nasonex on pollen levels in the South:

Ditto bugs

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:20:19 AM by Basenji »

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache

pagoconcheques

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »
They say it's the pollen stuck to the trees that gives them the blue color -- hence why those mountains are called the Blue Ridge. 

I live in VA, and there is no place in this state where you will avoid summer humidity.  Frankly, you need to go to the Rockies or west to avoid humidity, pollen, and bugs. 

But, yes, you are very wise to rent for a while someplace before you buy. 

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »
I am originally from Kentucky and think it is one of the most beautiful places to live....but it is horrible for people with pollen allergies.  I now live elsewhere in the south, also bad for pollen allergies, but 6 months ago I began allergy shots.  For me they have significantly improved my quality of life.  I resisted doing this for years, but in this case, for me, it's been better late than never. 

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 11:36:20 AM »

I live in VA, and there is no place in this state where you will avoid summer humidity.  Frankly, you need to go to the Rockies or west to avoid humidity, pollen, and bugs. 

i would second this, you need to head west/southwest - colorado, arizona, utah to get out of the humidiity and pollen. higher elevations near the applachains will help; but for a dramatic difference you would have to get to a drier climate.

you might try a week in one of those vs. a week in one of the palces you like now and see if you can tell a difference.

trufire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »
I know that there is some mutually exclusive criteria with the areas we will be checking out. Part of my reason for posting was to see how many people (strongly) think I am nuts. There is close to a zero chance that we would move to a desert area. I am not enthusiastic about moving to any areas out west that is prone to wildfires and drought. No way we are living in CA. That probably only leaves parts of the Northwest-where neither one of us have visited, and a band between the Midwest and the South.

Some additional background. My DW was suggesting we move back to east central IL where my parents live. I'm not keen on the area because there is nothing to do. Besides that, it is muggy, buggy and at times the air is super-saturated with pollen. I have hay fever which for about 2 weeks is much worse than my DW allergies. It was somewhat of a discomfort for me as a teenager when I had to mow pastures and bale hay. An occasional Benedryl was necessary a few weeks out of the year. Her allergies in MA last longer but are not as severe as my IL allergies (my allergies in MA are almost non-existent ). No question-it is possible that this will be unbearable for one or both of us-that is why we would try to make multiple visits and rent before a permanent move-anywhere.

Is it possible to make both a country boy and LA woman (mostly) happy??? I'm sure we will reach a mutually agreeable decision as we almost always do. No question, we both are excited-in a good way.

I really appreciate the suggestions and input. It seems like pollen and humidity are the major concerns, bugs are secondary. Anything else to be wary of? People have commented positively on nearly all of the areas I proposed. Any other places we should check out?     

Watertree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Retired
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 09:53:22 AM »
I am retired in Murray KY. If you are interested in lake living, Kentucky Lake is great. 15 to 20 minutes from Murray, an hour to Paducah,60K population. An hour to Clarksville TN, 70k population. 1 1/2 hours from Nashville. Very reasonable cost of living, Murray State University offers lots of educational opportunities, go Murray State Racers basketball, rated 25th at the end of last season.

Great fishing at Kentucky and Barkley Lake, lots of good and reasonably priced golf courses. Life is good in Murray KY.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 11:40:55 PM »
I grew up in Roanoke and my family has some land on Smith Mountain Lake. 

It's a great part of the country but be aware that Virginia taxes groceries.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 12:18:35 PM »
I am retired in Murray KY. If you are interested in lake living, Kentucky Lake is great. 15 to 20 minutes from Murray, an hour to Paducah,60K population. An hour to Clarksville TN, 70k population. 1 1/2 hours from Nashville. Very reasonable cost of living, Murray State University offers lots of educational opportunities, go Murray State Racers basketball, rated 25th at the end of last season.

Great fishing at Kentucky and Barkley Lake, lots of good and reasonably priced golf courses. Life is good in Murray KY.

The Murray State gym is also incredibly nice.

Phostare

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 05:30:46 AM »
I was born and raised out of Nashville in Middle TN. I've now spent the last three years living in Knoxville. I'd recommend TN as a whole to you. Knoxville is a unique place as it blends the heritage of East TN / Appalachia with a university culture, a huge Department of Energy and Defense installation (Oak Ridge), and significant industry (Scripps Howard who runs HGTV is here along with TVA, medical companies, etc.). To top it off you have the Great Smokey National Park and the numerous lakes surrounding the area. While Knoxville isn't huge, the metro area is large enough to bring great performers and entertainment to the area -- James Taylor was here last week.

Allergies can be quite bad here as the city sits in a valley. This means all the allergens from the mountains hit the city. The good news is, folks can build up an immunity, eat local honey, or visit one of the world-class allergists in the city (we have a lot!). Most folks either build up a tolerance naturally over time, find some relief with OTC solutions like Flonase, etc. I actually found my allergies were worse when I lived in Atlanta than either in Middle or East TN. As long as you are OK being a little proactive in managing allergies, you'll be just fine. I know friends who swear natural honey (eating natural pollen) practically cured them. I've found my allergies are no more than seasonal and mild.

The area has a low COL, friendly neighbors, low crime, and strong faith communities. Quite a few people come here to retire or live 30-45 min away in one of the lakeside communities outside the city. The Knoxville airport has good connections to Delta, American, and United hubs. The prices are expensive, but they are working to become more competitive. Finally, healthcare here is excellent. The University of Tennessee medical school is in Memphis, but the teaching hospital is in Knoxville. On top of that, you have some top-notch private hospitals as well as some private practices leveraging connections to the Oak Ridge lab. For instance, the PET scan was developed by Oak Ridge folks. Now, the ProVision Proton therapy is a company that leverages some of those same connections.

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to let me know!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:39:33 AM by Phostare »

mikesinWV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 05:59:33 AM »
+1 on the Asheville recommendation.  The area is fantastic and was a place to escape the summer heat before the widespread use of AC.  Getting quite popular as a place to retire.  Has a huge craft beer scene if you like that kind of thing (I do).

Claytor lake which is near Radford, VA is also a pretty popular place.  Not too for from Smith Mountain Lake.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Cheat Lake outside of Morgantown, WV. 

Having lived 30+ years in the NC/VA/WV area, you will deal with humidity and pollen in all of these places. 

fdubz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 02:06:51 PM »
I'm in Blacksburg, VA (Go Hokies!!) about 40 min SW of Roanoke and I'd say we fare a little better than Roanoke in the heat and humidity category because of our higher elevation.  That pollen, though.  For a couple weeks it is BAD.  Insects aren't terrible up in the mountains, but I'd imagine they're a bit worse near water.  SML is nice!

My aunt and uncle just bought a house on Tellico Lake in eastern TN.  I'm excited to visit them and check out some of the other lakes around there.  TN is definitely more tax friendly than VA (yes, we tax groceries.. ridic).

My favorite lake is Lake Champlain Vermont, but VT taxes and VT winters? Nope.

Rustyfa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »
I know this wasn't asked but I'll throw out living in Minnesota or Wisconsin in the summers and in one of the previous listed states in the winter.  The northern parts of both states are absolutely beautiful.  Typically there are low allergins and low humidity. 

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2015, 09:24:21 PM »
Fontana Lake. Such a beautiful area right on the edge of the Smokies.

There and another little known lake nearby called Santeetlah are both beautiful.  Fontana would be better if you want to be near a decent little town (Bryson City).  Santeetlah is near Robbinsville, which basically consists of fast food places and is used as a big motorcycle stop for Cherohala skyway/deals gap riders.

Most of the tourists stay north of the Smokies in Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge, so it's rather relaxing aside from the popularity of bikers as mentioned above.

You'd be far from the city life, but a few hours drive away from Chattanooga, Knoxville, Atlanta, & Asheville.  Good luck in your search.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 12:01:55 AM »
+1 on the Asheville recommendation.  The area is fantastic and was a place to escape the summer heat before the widespread use of AC.  Getting quite popular as a place to retire.  Has a huge craft beer scene if you like that kind of thing (I do).

Asheville is...

1. No where near a lake.
2. Getting expensive (already very expensive in desirable neighborhoods)
3. Overrun with tourists (esp. downtown)

I think Asheville is right for a lot of people - but probably not OP.

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »
Your wife: is pollen allergic, a magnet for insects and doesn't like humidity. And these are the places you've chosen to move?

Either you don't like your wife or she plans to stay inside a hermetically sealed house forever.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 06:39:08 AM »
I am allergic to pollen and biting insects (which I am also a magnet for), and, let me tell you, the South (especially KY and TN) is not enjoyable in these ways. And since your wife also doesn't like humidity, I'd be looking at the West rather than the South. It seems your main criterion is lakes, which are readily available in many regions.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 07:58:02 AM »
I'm glad to see some others voicing concerns for the wife. I've been looking forward to retirement for a long time, and if my husband announced that he'd decided it would be a good trade off for me to have chronic health problems throughout the rest of my existence because he likes fishing, I can't even find words for the level of resentment that would create.

And it would not lessen if he helpfully suggested I spend the rest of my years taking otherwise unnecessary medications, with all the side effects that come along with their long term use, because he wants to catch fish.

I would prioritize the health of both you and your wife first. Everything else is secondary.

trufire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
I appreciate the feedback and concerns.

To reiterate what may have been lost or did not come through strong enough in the original/subsequent posts I made.......My wife and I (BOTH of us) have been researching extensively. We know very well our own and each others "ailments" and "limitations."  This is a joint decision. I am quite sensitive, concerned and well-known to be very OVER cautious-to the point coworkers, friends and my wife would make extensive fun of me when I would worry about some bad thing that really had at best a slim chance of happening but of course never did (think asteroid hitting your house after a sharknado). I love and care about my wife. I want her to be happy-wherever we eventually end up.

Every single place listed by me or suggested by others is inhabited by people that are truly happy living in that place. Most are potentially good suggestions that might work for us. Our quest is to find a place that makes us happier and is less costly than where we are now. If we have to hunker down inside for 1-2 months in a new location because it is too hot/buggy/humid/high pollen, it will still be much better than where we are because we are already hunkering down for probably 3-4 months because winter is long and nasty. There is not a year-round "perfect" place in the continental USA that is inexpensive. Although others make/enjoy migrations North and South each winter, that is not desirable for us (added cost/hassle and we have pets).     

I have talked extensively to several people who have and are living in the Knoxville area and who have lived or visited MA extensively. All have said that mosquitoes are much worse in MA than there. Once again-before anyone calls in a medical emergency and the internet police on me-as far as allergies are concerned, neither my wife or I are severely impacted. Sniffles and sneezes a few weeks out of the year. Could it be worse in Knoxville (anywhere)? That will depend on the person and whatever they are allergic too. There is absolutely no way to know without living in a new place for a year (or so) to really tell if allergies will be more or less of a nuisance. IF we make a move someplace that adversely affects our health-we will move out of that area as soon as we can. It is not that big of a deal to move again. Besides, I doubt very much that pollen will be the cause of either my wife or my near/eventual death. If it is, I will somehow find a way to admit my mistake on this thread so I can deservedly be punched in the (rotting?) face.

So...my wife and I are going to visit the Knoxville area for the first time very soon-with a brief stopover first in Roanoke. Yes-it probably will be the most humid and hottest of the year. But that is a good because if it is truly horrible and unbearable-for either of us-, we may very well immediately cross it off the list.  We might end up driving west to check out Nashville and/or north to Kentucky if we are unhappy and/or unsure of the Knoxville area-or perhaps back to Roanoke. The back end of the trip is open ended so we can either extensively explore the Knoxville area, go somewhere else-or head home if we wish to end the adventure.   

The worst that can happen is that we have an adventure-checking out a region neither of us have been. We come back home and rethink/replan our next adventure. Meanwhile, living in a HCOL with an all too soon likely nasty winter....

The best that can happen is we *think* we like (Roanoke, Knoxville, Cookeville, Nashville, someplace in Kentucky, etc...). Then we visit it again-possibly several more times after that before we make a move to either a rental or a purchased home.

Even if we move and we dislike an area after we live there for a while-that place will be better than where we are living now. We-can-always-move-again-and-start-a-new-adventure-if-it-might-make-us-happier. Indeed, we would be quite fortunate wherever we move next, if it ends up being the last move we ever make.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 06:53:43 PM »
Alright, I'll put down my pitchfork then - sounds like you have it covered more than I realized. I saw other people posting that you can just take meds for allergies, but in fairness to you, you never said you were going to pressure her into doing that if she was suffering in a place you picked. My retirement thoughts are to stay away from coastal areas and deserts because I'm a sharknado worrier type of person also, and climate change and droughts have me thinking I want to stay inland but near decent bodies of water.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »
Another site you should check before choosing a new home is airnow.gov
Be sure to look at the actual air quality, rather than the forecast. (for my city the forecast is never as terrible as the actual!)
It allows you to look at historical maps showing pollution over the last several months.  these can help you identify the better places (such as Ashville, I believe).
The southeastern US has very serious air pollution, in some parts more particulates and in some more ozone.  I have been told this is due to the reluctance of Southern states to install scrubbers on power plants, as well as simply weather  patterns.  The air pollution is one reason I will be leaving the southeast upon retirement.  If combines with allergy problems to make the symptoms worse. 

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »
Roanoke is definitely cheap, especially if you don't care about school districts and such. Beautiful scenery and outdoor activities. SML may be a bit pricier just because it's a desirable location, but I haven't really looked so I don't know.

It is a bit of a haul (~1hr) from downtown Roanoke to the lake, if that concerns you. They've put a fair bit of work into the downtown market area lately, and it's a nice place to go on a Saturday to visit the farmer's market or just hang out.

Weather:
Winter is of course much milder than in Boston. Just be aware that while significant snow is rare, even a couple of inches can paralyse the roads for a time. We just aren't as prepared for it, nor are we used to driving in it, and what we do get is often a wet mix that turns to ice and slush rather easily. (I'm sure the same goes for the others on your list as well, seems to be a general Southern thing.)

Summers can be humid, although this particular year has been quite mild so far. Pollen does get bad at times, but I'm not a sufferer so I can't tell you how it compares to other places.

trufire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 08:48:56 AM »
We have returned from our very long Southern Road trip (2800 total miles). This was the first real road trip together. We had a fun adventure. Allergies on the trip were similar or less than what we have in MA. The weather was great-only a few downpours while we were driving around. The trip clarified that we want to live in an area that can be on a lake or w/in 30 min drive to a lake, has potential for part-time jobs that we would like, not too rural and near/in a larger city (less than 30 min drive).

We ruled out Roanoke because the lake is too far.  We ruled out Dandridge, Morristown, Sevierville, Jefferson City, Norris/Andersonville because the towns were not large enough, farther than we would like from Knoxville, and/or likely have few potential part time jobs we would like. Cookeville and Bowling Green might work; However, we liked the Knoxville area best. It fit our criteria best and we think we could be happy there at this stage in our life.

We will be looking really hard at Oak Ridge, Farragut and other areas west of Knoxville. We both liked Oak Ridge the best. We both felt that these areas are growing and/or will retain/increase property value. This is important because it gives us an easier, less costly exit strategy-should we eventually move there and decide later to move. There is no question that what might be fine now, may change as we get older (60-65+).