Author Topic: Podcasts You Listen to Now that You're FI  (Read 2297 times)

Tucandream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: Can be found high in the mountains of CO or on a beach in Costa Rica
    • Tucandream
Podcasts You Listen to Now that You're FI
« on: March 27, 2024, 09:17:10 PM »
I was curious, do you still listen to FIRE podcasts, or have you moved on?  What is on your podcast playlist these days?

I don't have much interest in listening to podcasts on budgeting, investing, and, managing your money, and I'm finding the FIRE shows have lost their appeal.   I'm FI, I'm comfortable and now I am living. To that end, I want to listen to inspirational stories of people doing good on this earth, finding their purpose, etc. 

Recommendations for podcasts outside the norm of the FIRE realm, podcasts that inspire, tell feel-good stories, make you pause to think etc.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:12:59 AM by Tucandream »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
Re: Podcasts You Listen to Now that You're FI
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 09:30:36 PM »
Tim Ferriss, Huberman Labs, and still enjoy any time Mad FIentist puts something out.

ChooseFI has been dogshit for years, couldn't stand them during the accumulation phase and even less interested now, MHFI is also hot garbage, Two Sides of FI is probably the most interesting one, but they dragged it out so long that it's gotten very repetitive.

Back in the day Radical Personal Finance was good before Josh got biblical/political and it also circled the drain before belonging in the sewers of the internet.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 10:04:13 PM »
Two Sides of FI is the only FIRE podcast worth listening to imo.

For non-FIRE I have enjoyed:
Let’s not be kidding
Heavyweight
What went wrong
If books could kill
A bit fruity
Let’s make a sci-fi/rom-com/horror
Adventure rider radio

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 10:58:24 PM »
- Jill on Money

- Your Money, Your Wealth

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 03:38:41 AM »
ChooseFI has been dogshit for years, couldn't stand them during the accumulation phase and even less interested now, MHFI is also hot garbage, Two Sides of FI is probably the most interesting one, but they dragged it out so long that it's gotten very repetitive.

I agree ChooseFI is very annoying but occasionally they do cover some interesting topics.

Paula Pant is much worse though - she seems to be hyping crypto

Not FIRE as such but very useful:
- Bogleheads on Investing. There was an excellent episode recently (no. 68) about the index fund industry
- The Long View podcast by Morningstar. Lots of retirement related material covered
- The Morgan Housel podcast: author of "the psychology of money"

And purely for entertainment, Ramit Sethi's podcast.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 03:42:22 AM »
I have never listened to FIRE podcasts.

I have generally always listened to personal development, health, psychology, or neuroscience related podcasts. Lately I have been listening to a lot of Andrew Huberman podcasts.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 09:24:50 AM »
I never listened to FIRE podcasts either.

I like:
 Planet Money
No Such Thing as a Fish (comedy, from makers of British show QI)
Hidden Brain

I used to listen to other podcasts, such as:
Revisionist History (Malcolm Gladwell)
CautionaryTales (Tim Harford)
  But there are too many ads and I am too cheap to pay for ad-free access with so much free stuff available.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 10:33:39 PM »
Mad Fientist is always nice but has mostly retired from podcasting. Strong agree on the above regarding ChooseFI & Radical Personal Finance being unlistenable. I used to love Paula but her sustained crypto hype pulled the plug on my enthusiasm for & trust in her journalistic cred. Stacking Benjamins on the other hand is intentionally silly, but fun, with some great interviews.

Less FIRE-specific: I think the host of This Sustainable Life used to hang around here? Longform interviews, sometimes a bit slow, but from a genuinely unique perspective with a much more ERE lifestyle, or at least that was true some years ago (I am behind.) ERE’s Jacob has done a number of wonderful interviews too, some on YouTube - both of them see money solely as a tool to an end, so their conversations are more philosophical, values-driven, desiring to identify useful areas to improve the world, the same reason all of Pete/ MMM’s interviews are great. If Books Could Kill on the other hand is sort of gossipy fun. Most of my other nonfiction podcasts are foreign language. Gen X & older Millennials will get a big nostalgic kick out of LeVar Burton Reads, the rest can simply enjoy his flawlessly curated, vividly delivered thought-provoking picks of speculative fiction.

YouTube has a remarkable collection of video essayists & vloggers, the Green brothers perhaps among the most famous, who’ve committed themselves to tuberculosis advocacy as well as various scicomms.

I can’t recommend Huberman - I was instantly skeptical of his ethics as a neuroscientist when I looked him up & saw he chose to platform the head of neuroscience at Neuralink after a number of FDA investigations on his watch involving improper biohazard storage & pretty horrific animal cruelty whistleblowing, & now it has come out that he was stringing along at least six women in extended, purportedly monogamous relationships while pursuing IVF (a pretty painful process, not to mention expensive) with at least one.

The extreme opinionated stance he has taken on a very broad range of subjects outside his specialty & his constant supplement endorsements also gave me the grifter-tinged impression of being high on his own supply. The scientists I trust are the ones who make a point of the limits of our knowledge, not the ones who paint themselves as having all the answers. People who feel entitled to breach ethics & manipulate people in one area are likely to do it in others.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 07:39:46 AM »
I was curious, do you still listen to FIRE podcasts, or have you moved on?  What is on your podcast playlist these days?

No I don't listen to FIRE podcasts or consume a ton of FIRE related content. I don't really have any FIRE related problems to solve. I'm just living my life. I do listen to podcasts that relate to my various interests.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 10:04:52 AM »

I can’t recommend Huberman - I was instantly skeptical of his ethics as a neuroscientist when I looked him up & saw he chose to platform the head of neuroscience at Neuralink after a number of FDA investigations on his watch involving improper biohazard storage & pretty horrific animal cruelty whistleblowing, & now it has come out that he was stringing along at least six women in extended, purportedly monogamous relationships while pursuing IVF (a pretty painful process, not to mention expensive) with at least one.

The extreme opinionated stance he has taken on a very broad range of subjects outside his specialty & his constant supplement endorsements also gave me the grifter-tinged impression of being high on his own supply. The scientists I trust are the ones who make a point of the limits of our knowledge, not the ones who paint themselves as having all the answers. People who feel entitled to breach ethics & manipulate people in one area are likely to do it in others.

Probably my least favourite thing about FIRE is how we give the impression of happily lapping up the Kool Aid offered by each new grifter with a book on ______ hacking (insert generic noun). It's all over the podcasts and, to a lesser extent, the forum. I think I'd never mention FIRE to anyone I know in real life out of fear they'd listen to a few episodes of Choose FI or whatever and then conclude "oh okay so Salt Cured is a fucking moron", lol.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2024, 04:45:12 PM »

Probably my least favourite thing about FIRE is how we give the impression of happily lapping up the Kool Aid offered by each new grifter with a book on ______ hacking (insert generic noun). It's all over the podcasts and, to a lesser extent, the forum. I think I'd never mention FIRE to anyone I know in real life out of fear they'd listen to a few episodes of Choose FI or whatever and then conclude "oh okay so Salt Cured is a fucking moron", lol.

I’ve rarely admitted to familiarity unless the other person brought it up first, I get it. MMM is one of those charismatic media personalities who want you to hack your psyche, but critically he’s 1. open about the persona being a fictitious persona, 2. not trying to sell anything (instead trying to un-sell things) & 3. the benefit of the hack was actually the planet’s ongoing ability to sustain happy human & animal life, so he’s sort of the ideal version of a lifehack influencer. People who are into his performance however may or may not be in on it as a big bombastic parody of man-influencer tropes, though, so they’re more likely to go for it when it’s played straight.

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 08:54:10 AM »
Not a podcast, but I treat it as such:

Youtube long interviews with Lex Fridman.
Lex talks to someone like Elon Musk for two or three hours. There's no need to watch; you can just listen while doing other things.

Here's one with Annie Jacobsen on Nuclear War, CIA, KGB, Area 51, etc.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXgGR8KxFao

Similarly, I'll listen to Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Star Talk youtube channel on topics such as "Is Aging a Disease?"

Woodshark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 04:07:56 PM »
For FI I listen to The Money Guy Show and I will Teach You to be Rich. Even though I've been retired for 8 years I enjoy them. Good content on both.

For non-FI, I highly recommend The Way I Heard It by Mike Rowe. Sometimes I enjoy This American Life, but it's hit or miss.

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 08:14:33 AM »
FIRE podcasts: The Two Sides of FIRE

Much of what I listen to now are podcasts related to impact of capitalism on our behaviors, history, nihilism, and things that focus on the concept of “enough”. It’s like unplugging from the Matrix after realizing we aren’t headed anywhere unless we tell ourselves we are. These concepts help me stay focused on things that I believe matter.

the lorax

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 02:22:44 PM »
I'm not FI yet, just on a short trial of FI, but I've been enjoying the BBC Science podcast series if you want a non-FI-related recommendation

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 07:03:09 PM »
I've long since retire from listening to FI podcasts.  I enjoyed all I could enjoy in the mid 2010s and now I find almost all of them unlistenable.

I probably find the real estate FIREy people the most annoying, there are good people who hit it big in a once in a generational opportunity with residential real estate and now either 1) think everything they touch is gold or 2) still encourage excessive risk taking when the deals aren't there anymore.

Brandon Turner motivated and helped a ton of people in the early to mid 2010s to change their life.  After Josh left/sold the company, Brandon turned borderline grifter in his syndication business buying apartment complexes at peak pricing with variable rate loans in 2021 and 2022.   He did a lot of things in a rising market, but a lot of people will be stuck in closed in deals with him for a decade now that either loose money or eek out a couple of a percent return while the stock market cranks along at 10%/yr averages. 

Paula still tells people "buy real estate a wait" after years of talking about price discpline, ect.   She bought in-town duplexes in Atlanta for sub $200,000, of course it worked for her.   Now she's talking crypto?  That's news to me. 

ChooseFI?  Meh, I enjoyed it when there were two hosts interviewing people who achieved or were near FIRE.  Stopped listening years ago. 

It's interesting to see the @ of times Two Sides of FI came up, that might be worth a listen.

I guess it's just at the point where I rarely hear new information and even rarer I hear something new that' I can take action on.  That's just part of being someone who found MMM eleven years ago.

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2024, 05:22:55 AM »
I guess it's just at the point where I rarely hear new information and even rarer I hear something new that' I can take action on.  That's just part of being someone who found MMM eleven years ago.

Same here.

Non-fi podcast I enjoy: Climate Denier's Playbook, Threedom, Stuff you should know (as background noise, no offense)

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2024, 05:54:33 AM »
I have always been interested in science and tech. Lately I enjoy about half of Lex Fridman’s podcasts, “This Week in AI”, and similar.

I can’t do finance or politics anymore.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2024, 08:59:47 PM »
I never listened to FIRE podcasts.  The topic doesn't seem broad enough to really warrant it.   Of course, we're all still posting on a FIRE-based message board after many years so maybe I'm wrong, but the basic premise is don't spend money on stupid stuff.   Then there are some subtleties like investment order, Roth conversions, etc.  But I dunno how you base a whole podcast series around it.  Seems like you'd run out of topics fairly soon.

I've been enjoying the Acquired podcast lately.  It is a business podcast, but the stories are very, very well researched and it is very well presented. 

Idlewild

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2024, 05:44:52 AM »
The Retirement Wisdom podcast covers the nonfinancial side of retirement and they interview some interesting people.

almost

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2024, 11:48:14 AM »
I listened to Risk Parity Radio for a bit and liked it. 

Since I FIRE'd I've mostly stopped listening to podcasts.  I used to listen to a lot of podcasts while working.  I mostly used them to kill time at my desk or during my commute.  I don't sit at a desk or commute much anymore, so seldom listen to podcasts now.  The same with blogs. 

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 01:14:12 AM »
There is a thread on best podcast episodes which also includes links to a few of the other threads on podcasts if you're looking for recommendations.

Idlewild

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2024, 04:19:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing that thread, Moonwaves.

Bluenose1966

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2024, 02:39:22 PM »
Still dip in and out of the following as they also cover non financial issues such as health and tips for retirement
1. Retire Sooner
2. The Retirement Answer Man
3. Retirement Starts Today.

Also listen to the following for tips on
mental and physical heath.
4. The Daily Stoic
5. The Human Upgrade
6. The Drive - Peter Attia
7. Huberman Lab.
8. B. Rad. Brad Kearns
9. The Diary of a CEO