Author Topic: Planning to Semi-FIRE!!!  (Read 23613 times)

Koogie

• Stubble
Re: Planning to Semi-FIRE!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2016, 07:53:51 AM »
Congrats !!     Come on in, the water's fine ....  lol

Semi-FIRE.  The best of both worlds.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2016, 12:34:49 PM »
Congrats !!     Come on in, the water's fine ....  lol

Semi-FIRE.  The best of both worlds.

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2016, 06:18:21 AM »
This seems more about the personalities of the people involved rather than strictly single/coupled. I'd imagine there are single people who 'need' a 4-bed for their shoes so wouldn't get the same savings sharing a household.

I'd need to spend a lot on hookers to compensate from separating from my SO. That's got to put a dent in the savings rate!

In my experience, one can get most of that compensation for the price of a few drinks at the bar.

And it's certainly possible to get all the benefits without the financial entanglements of combining incomes and expenses.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2016, 06:24:23 AM »
This seems more about the personalities of the people involved rather than strictly single/coupled. I'd imagine there are single people who 'need' a 4-bed for their shoes so wouldn't get the same savings sharing a household.

I'd need to spend a lot on hookers to compensate from separating from my SO. That's got to put a dent in the savings rate!

In my experience, one can get most of that compensation for the price of a few drinks at the bar.

And it's certainly possible to get all the benefits without the financial entanglements of combining incomes and expenses.

My brother is a bartender so drinks are always free!!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2016, 07:13:11 AM »
Great news after thinking long and hard, crunching numbers, and then talking it over with the wife. I have made the decision to switch from full-time to part-time and eventually full FIRE.

<...>

I am really looking forward to the next phase of my life. Although not fully FIRE, it's a step in that direction. And a really big one. Wish me luck!

Great plan, good luck with it.

I would really want to work part time as well. And we could easily afford it, as we spend way less than 1 netto income. But as we don't have special needs at home, like supporting a child, I have no excuse to reduce my working hours while my DH should continue to work full time. I don't think he would accept it. It would also mean a direct cut in the option to FIRE in 7 years. I feel that we need to maximize our incomes to be able to do it.

But I really can't imagine working at my current employer for 7 years. Recently something happened that made me start thinking of finding another job. There is just no more honour to gain here from doing a good job, it's too much of a mess (delivering software with a growing backlog of quality issues).
I work very close to home and work half an hour shorter per day than many other jobs have, so that part is very attractive. I also have an attractive type of state pension. But I am seriously reconsidering whether to find something more inspiring. I also know VERY well that the grass isn't greener in other places, just another shade of yellowish-green. I need to talk to one of my friends soon, who is in the same kind of position. She might be able to review my perspective on things.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2016, 01:16:23 AM »

My brother is a bartender so drinks are always free!!!

Need to encourage sibling to switch to bartending.

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
It's been a week now since I quit my FT job and started my "sabbatical."  I've been busy packing up my apartment, starting to learn a new language for travel abroad in a few months, and preparing for paid internship in the new semi-FIRE career (different than previous career).  I'm also getting ready to run a half marathon next month, so the training takes time too.  I'm going to start traveling in a couple of weeks to visit family and friends here in the US before going abroad. 

We'll see how I feel this summer when I have to actually start showing up to my old job again (albeit PT), but so far at least, I still feel like semi-FIRE was a good decision.  I like the idea of having something to retire to, so to speak, and I had already realized that my issue was less one of not wanting to work at all and more one of not wanting to work FT on somebody else's schedule.  I also didn't love my previous career and was becoming burned out.  Not to mention that financially, I feel more comfortable being semi-FIRE since this completely eliminates sequence of return risk (at this point I am intending to continue working PT for at least the next several years).  In fact, I will even be able to continue saving more money over the next couple of years, albeit at nowhere near my former rate.  Dealing with the health care insurance issue during the five months I'm not covered by employer health insurance has been a bit of a PITA, but not insurmountable. 

Just wanted to keep this thread active, because I think semi-FIRE is an important and viable option, especially for the type A's among us.  I'm also curious as to how other people who semi-FIRE are structuring their work schedules.  It seems to me that there are basically two main options: work PT continuously, or work FT intermittently.  My semi-FIRE appears to be taking more of the second approach, where I work FT for a while, take several months off, and then work FT for a while again.  I imagine this will be somewhat field-dependent, with certain jobs lending themselves more easily to PT work versus intermittent FT work.  But interested in what other people's experiences have been.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Ramblin' Ma'am

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2017, 01:28:36 PM »
Just wanted to keep this thread active, because I think semi-FIRE is an important and viable option, especially for the type A's among us.

It's interesting to hear you say that because to me, semi-FIRE seems less type A than full-on FIRE. When I read about people saving 60 or 70% of their income so they can retire by 40, I think, "Wow, I don't have the drive to do that." But I can save enough so that I'm only working, say, 20 hours a week by the time I'm 45 or 50.  (I'm 34 now.) It feels a lot less intense.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »
Thought I would provide an update since it's been a few months. Got around to talking to my boss and a couple other higher ups about my plans. They weren't sure what to make of it since no one has ever asked to just work part time unless they were old and retired. Probably not great timing either as we are slammed with work. Or maybe a good a time as any depending on how you look at it.

Anyways have a meeting with HR later to discuss contracting. Not sure how it's going to go. But I've got my fingers crossed.

Lucky Girl

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2017, 07:39:23 AM »
Good luck BeginnerStache!  Hope they give you a good part-time option!

Legg-Stache

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »
Libertea, I fully agree that Semi-RE is a viable path (although I haven't taken it yet).

I have the unique (Canadian) opportunity coming up in the Fall to take an unpaid 8-month paternity leave when our first baby is born. I fully plan on taking it and attempting in that 8-months to develop a lifestyle that is self-supporting through either various income streams or 1 that I enjoy.

Currently about 30% of our expense will be covered by my part-time teaching job at ~6 hours per week, toss in some other activities and a few bucks through entrepreneurship and I may be able to cover them entirely without help from DW. That being said, she will be going back to some kind of work after her maternity leave so if I can cover it, the rest is gravy.

Luckily I'll have a fall-back to go back to my 9-5 if necessary, but I hope to not use it.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »
Almost forgot I started this thread a little over a year ago but wanted to give an update and hopefully inspire some others considering semi-retirement.

I officially left my full-time job in July 2017. Spent the next couple months unwinding. We traveled to Texas for 2 weeks visiting family in August. It was an awesome trip with lots of boating, tubing and relaxing. One of the best parts was coming back and knowing I didn't have to drag myself into the office the next day. 

I had no issues making some unintentional side money as I  had several friends/family members hire me out to do carpentry type work. Much like MMM!  I set my own hours, worked at my own pace and very much enjoyed the work. And I had a lot of time off between jobs.

I got a phone call a couple weeks ago that my former employer need me as they currently have more projects than engineers. Found out it was only for 7 weeks and they are paying me a lot of money. And it's not even full time. I set my own hours. On top of all this an old college buddy offered me a part-time, as needed gig for considerably more money. Haven't made a decision yet as I don't need the work.

So it's been a rather awesome 6 months. I've had no worries about still bringing in some income to help out (wife is still working). And we are still saving a bit of her paycheck. I will say being back in the office quickly brought back memories of why I despised cubicle work in the first place. Only now I know it's temporary and I can leave when I want because I don't actually need the money.

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2018, 01:25:31 PM »
awesome update!  thanks for sharing.

And man it sure sounds nice having all those options and the ability to 'choose' which one you want.  I think that is the part of semi-fire I'm looking forward to.  I will still need to make some money to cover expenses, but I can choose how I want to make that money.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »
Gogogogogogogo MasterStache!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2018, 03:29:37 PM »
awesome update!  thanks for sharing.

And man it sure sounds nice having all those options and the ability to 'choose' which one you want.  I think that is the part of semi-fire I'm looking forward to.  I will still need to make some money to cover expenses, but I can choose how I want to make that money.

Absolutely! Having skills that are in constant demand helps. I actually turned down a couple small side projects because I wanted some more time to chill. I think I will appreciate being semi-fired even more now that I am back in the cubicle for a few weeks. Wow I do not miss my old job.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2018, 08:02:04 PM »
Fuck yes, hot damn. Go MasterStache!

Clara Smith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2018, 12:09:18 AM »
Hi MasterStache,
I'm very happy for you. and good luck for the future.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2018, 01:31:31 AM »
I loves me a good thread update. Hooray!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
Engineering manager approached me today to see what my availability in March is, after this project is over. Told him I wasn't available and won't be again for a few months. A couple of my former co-workers said they really wish they could say that. It's a great feeling!!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2018, 12:40:06 AM »
In May 2015 my wife switched to part-time because working full-time wasn't fun for her. Our two rentals were doing well, so I told her to quit her full-time job and work part-time.

I am a college prof and work about 30 hours/week about 8 months/year. This averages to about 20 hours/week for an entire year. My wife is a substitute teacher and works 2 days/week about 8 months/year. She probably averages 8/hour week for the entire year. With the rentals, we can cover all of our bills comfortably.

Because we work so little some might call it Semi-FIRE. I call it a lifestyle change. It's been totally worth it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »
Congrats on the semi-FIRE. Still going well a year+ in now?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »
Congrats on the semi-FIRE. Still going well a year+ in now?

Ha, I forgot I started this thread. Good time for an update I guess. Yes things have been better than anticipated. I have plenty of side work. In fact more than I want to take on so I've turned some down. Other than that I've taken up hiking, walking a lot, still building furniture on occasion and lots of traveling. I have zero complaints and wouldn't change a thing.

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
For me also.  I'm still working PT in my old field but planning to cut back even more, and will likely stop altogether in 2-3 years.  Also, I'm going to move this summer to do something new again.  Still don't feel like I want to stop working altogether, but definitely looking forward to stopping the PT work in my old field.  The main reason I'm not stopping it altogether now is actually less to do with the money and more because of the networking opportunities it provides in my new locale.

Classical_Liberal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2019, 07:24:19 PM »
For me also.

She lives!  Awesome to know it all worked out!

I also know of one other poster from 2017 on this thread who has also been enjoying semi-FIRE for over a year and it has worked out very well.

2019 is my year to follow in all of your footsteps.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2019, 08:07:00 AM »
Still enjoying semi-ER as well (except today.  First day back always sucks...lol)

We've made 3 day weeks permanent and have 12 weeks vacation scheduled this year (one week per month).

I'm committed to 3 more years of this.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2019, 03:06:45 PM »
This longtime downshifter has now retired and I'm liking it even better than semi-retired.
Glad its working out well for the downshifters on this thread. Its really the best!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
When I originally started this thread my plan was to work part-time, on an as-needed basis, with my previous employer. In the last 1.5 years I was called back in 1 time for a 7 week long project. It was good money but they treated me even worse as a contractor. Then they asked if I could stay and work on more projects. I told them no and they have left me alone since. I have no intention of going back even if they do call.

My life is more like full time retirement. We can live off my wife's income so I don't really need to earn any money. But I enjoy carpentry work and people want to pay me for my skills. So I get the best of both worlds. I even have a bit of a back log of work currently. But right now I am working on a doll house for my daughter.     

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2019, 07:45:28 AM »
When I originally started this thread my plan was to work part-time, on an as-needed basis, with my previous employer. In the last 1.5 years I was called back in 1 time for a 7 week long project. It was good money but they treated me even worse as a contractor. Then they asked if I could stay and work on more projects. I told them no and they have left me alone since. I have no intention of going back even if they do call.

My life is more like full time retirement. We can live off my wife's income so I don't really need to earn any money. But I enjoy carpentry work and people want to pay me for my skills. So I get the best of both worlds. I even have a bit of a back log of work currently. But right now I am working on a doll house for my daughter.     
The best part of FIRE is the ability to prioritize things outside of the need for income. Happy to see you got it right!

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »
She lives!  Awesome to know it all worked out!

I also know of one other poster from 2017 on this thread who has also been enjoying semi-FIRE for over a year and it has worked out very well.

2019 is my year to follow in all of your footsteps.
Haha, hi CL.  That sounds awesome.  Message me some time and tell me what you're up to these days.  I don't think I told you, but I'm planning to move to a new state this summer for a new opportunity.  I'll fill you in.