Author Topic: People who have FIRED - what (if anything) do you miss most about work?  (Read 16018 times)

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
Re: People who have FIRED - what (if anything) do you miss most about work?
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »
Recently I asked a retired friend if he missed anything about work. He retired because of old age. He didn't miss a thing. He had an engineering and sometimes management job.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
My Dad once said, the only thing he missed was the paycheck.  But 10 yrs later, he had Social Security and marveled at the feeling of regular pay again, although unnecessary.  He spent his first deposits on wine and Scotch, then eventually got more philanthropic...
Transitioning to FIRE'd albeit somewhat cautiously...

Villanelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2017, 02:38:34 AM »
My Dad once said, the only thing he missed was the paycheck.  But 10 yrs later, he had Social Security and marveled at the feeling of regular pay again, although unnecessary.  He spent his first deposits on wine and Scotch, then eventually got more philanthropic...

My dad has retired multiple times.  First from the military after 20 years, then from a county government job for nearly two decades, then after a short break he retired from a civilian job.  Then he had a consulting gig, which was varying levels of busy for another decade or so, which just ended.

I think he absolutely missed (misses?) the challenge and the intellectual stimulation. 

deborah

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2017, 02:54:20 AM »
I think he absolutely missed (misses?) the challenge and the intellectual stimulation. 
You just need to work out other ways to get the challenge and intellectual stimulation, and you're fine! That was what I THOUGHT I'd miss.

Villanelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2017, 03:32:21 AM »
You just need to work out other ways to get the challenge and intellectual stimulation, and you're fine! That was what I THOUGHT I'd miss.

He's found some, but I don't think any fully replaced what he got from work.  (He was also fortunate to have jobs that absolutely did engage and challenge him.)  He is very active on the HOA board for his very large community, and I know that helps fill the void a bit. 

I've never had a job that really challenged me consistently, so that's definitely not on my "miss" list!

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2017, 06:21:39 AM »
So many people asked me this that I gave it some thought.  What I finally came up with was that I was never happy in the 8 years I worked there. I was constantly stressed by the knowledge that the people around me did not share my values. I've been out for 3 months and I still feel an immense sense of relief.  A few times I've had to go back to drop something off and I had to force myself to drive onto the property.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »
I've been out for about 4 months now.   I do think I am missing the paycheck.  The idea that I can save vast swaths of money (IMO) each month was very nice.

mf3333

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2017, 05:37:31 AM »
FIRED in january 2017.  I miss the guys at work but we get together about once a month at a local restaurant.  I still work, flipping houses as a hobby.  Flipped our last one 3 months ago and are still looking for our next deal.  in the meantime, I am enjoying spending time with my wife and our families.  It seems like our parents and their friends all need us to help them now.   I guess this is our job now, taking care of our elders.  We do go on alot more vacations now though.  It is awesome.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:39:20 AM by mf3333 »

Pigeon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2017, 06:03:19 AM »
We just had our annual financial review, and our TIAA guy agreed with us that we could RE if we so choose.  We probably aren't going to for about three more years though because I want to be absolutely sure we have enough and once we are done, we aren't going back to work.

The thing I worry about is the social aspect.  Between working full time, one of us having a long commute, being naturally somewhat introverted, and having spent most of our non-work time taking care of recently deceased elderly parents and our kids who are now college aged, we really don't have much in the way of friends.

The friends we do have are through work.  We'll make an effort to do stuff with them, but they aren't retiring soon.  I worry I'll have no social interaction at all.  I've scoped out a few things I could do, like book clubs, volunteer work and a meetup or two.  My introverted self doesn't know if I'll actually make myself do them or if I will make any new friends anyway if I do.

Any introverted people try to  make new friends after FIRE?  How did it go?

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2017, 06:14:59 AM »
Any introverted people try to  make new friends after FIRE?  How did it go?

There is at least one specific thread about this.
In general, I think it is easiest when you start a new hobby and get in touch with a local club for that hobby. And volunteer in all sorts of local events. Join your local facebook groups to find out what happens.