Author Topic: Mom-friendly income planning books?  (Read 1412 times)

Lucky Recardito

• Pencil Stache
Mom-friendly income planning books?
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:29:15 AM »
My mom will be retiring in the next 1-3 years (in her late 60s or perhaps around age 70 -- we're not talking about ER here). I don't know her full financial picture, but I believe her savings are more than adequate (probably ~$1M in invested assets, plus over $2K/mo from Social Security). Knowing that I geek out on this stuff (and knowing that she does not, despite being a good saver), she's asked for my help on planning what to do with her investments at and during retirement -- eg, turning her savings into an income stream to live off of. And I'm totally game to help!

But... I'm in the accumulation phase of my journey, with FI 10-15 years away. I consider myself reasonably well-read and -informed for the spot I'm at currently, but I know I'm under-read on income planning in retirement.

Two questions:
  • For me... I'll do my own internet-digging/reading (on this forum and on Bogleheads)... any other suggestions for places I should go exploring?
  • For mom... I'd like to gift her some reading material about the basics of income planning in retirement. Realistically, she won't dive into a list of links, but she would probably page through a book and noodle on the concepts. Suggestions? In a quick scan, I'm looking at "How to Make Your Money Last" (Jane Bryant Quinn) and "How Much Can I Spend in Retirement?" (Wade Pfau). I'm looking for something that's not too nerdy/wonkish and that is written for an average audience retiring at "normal" retirement age.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!