Author Topic: Last Year - Pre Fire looking for advice  (Read 24652 times)

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Last Year - Pre Fire looking for advice
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 07:15:20 PM »
Interesting update on the "countdown" charts and paper chains everyone suggested.   There is a big project in it's final months at work and there is a wall chart related to it on the wall near my cube.  The title is "The Drive to Go Live".    Since I've been "outed" as retiring, I've made a joke that I'm making my own chart.  "The FIRE to Retire".  I'll put my countdown on that.   

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 10:36:31 AM »
Interesting update on the "countdown" charts and paper chains everyone suggested.   There is a big project in it's final months at work and there is a wall chart related to it on the wall near my cube.  The title is "The Drive to Go Live".    Since I've been "outed" as retiring, I've made a joke that I'm making my own chart.  "The FIRE to Retire".  I'll put my countdown on that.

I'm a computer nerd.  I had a perl script that would give me a nice to-the-second time until FIRE.

Frugal_is_Fab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2017, 06:38:33 AM »
Hi, I just wanted to give everyone an update to close out this topic.   I retired on 7/7/2017.    So far it's actually been BETTER than I dreamed and I dreamed BIG.   So don't be afraid of it.  I find I have no desire at all to go back to a corporate job and the money part is working out better than expected.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2017, 10:12:02 AM »
Awesome and CONGRATS!!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2017, 01:33:39 AM »
Hi, I just wanted to give everyone an update to close out this topic.   I retired on 7/7/2017.    So far it's actually been BETTER than I dreamed and I dreamed BIG.   So don't be afraid of it.  I find I have no desire at all to go back to a corporate job and the money part is working out better than expected.

So good to hear! Fabulous news. Enjoy the next phase of your life :-)

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2017, 03:58:00 AM »
Great news!  Congratulations.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2017, 03:10:51 PM »
So happy for you! Travel now if you want too because you never know. We have had friends die or become very disabled in 50's and 60's.  WE are taking 1-2 big trips a year in addition to small ones in the car.  You will really love having control over your time, activities, etc.   The last 5 years have been great.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »
Fantastic! Congratulations. I've got 111 weeks left and it's going to be worth it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2017, 10:28:07 PM »

I love every part of this!

Awesome! 

Thanks for updating us.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!