Author Topic: Last Day Full Time Work!  (Read 11167 times)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Last Day Full Time Work!
« on: July 06, 2017, 08:54:37 AM »
Well, my last day of full time work is tomorrow. I couldn't be more excited. I am taking the rest of the summer off to hang with the kids until they start back to school. Then I'll be doing part-time contract work on an as needed basis with the same company I am leaving. I can turn down work if they start loading me up with hours (which I have a feeling they will "try" do).

We have FU money but aren't quite ready to FIRE fully yet. We saved enough to let it ride for about 10 years never needing to invest another penny and be perfectly fine. My wife wants to continue working her normal 32 hours as she enjoys her job. I'll just work basically when I feel like working. I think the strangest part is knowing I will probably never work another full time job the rest of my life. Might take a while to sink on for me.

Anywho not FI but wanted to share none-the-less!   

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Re: Last Day Full Time Work!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
Congrats!!!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:16:12 AM »
w00t!

Welcome to the club.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
Congrats !

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 09:39:30 AM »
Hey, congrats! That sounds awesome.

Are you nervous at all? Excited? Both?

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
Wow, Congratulations !!

oblivo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 09:44:15 AM »
That's awesome

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 09:55:38 AM »
Hey, congrats! That sounds awesome.

Are you nervous at all? Excited? Both?

Thanks!. Not so much nervous. Probably more excited than anything. We have a lot of flexibility built into our plan. If something tragic happens I can always go back to work full time for a bit. And my wife has a very flexible schedule. For us, we have hit our peak spending I believe. So if we can do it at this point, it should only get better moving forward.

Cossack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • finance liberation
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »
Congrats!

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 05:53:46 PM »
Congrats. Have a fun day tomorrow!!!

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
Awesome! How do you forecast peak spending? I'm sure it relates to the age of your kids...

Northern gal

• Bristles
  • Life at the beach shack
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 02:02:04 AM »
Congratulations!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 03:58:25 AM »
Congrats!

It sounds like a very good solution, working your old job as a side hustle, just as much as you tolerate. This is what my DH also plans to do. I wish you a very nice summer with your kids.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »
Thanks everyone. Nothing like a last day morning traffic jam to know what I absolutely won't miss.

Awesome! How do you forecast peak spending? I'm sure it relates to the age of your kids...

Yes, and as weird as this may sound also the age/condition of our animals (we have 4 of them). Also I am nearing the end of a complete home renovation. Just have  a hallway and some stairs to do. Already set aside the funds for that.

LateToTheParty

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 06:37:58 AM »
Stopping in for a congrats. Kudos to you. I am considering a downshift soon myself.  Your posts have inspired me to consider this sooner rather than later.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
Stopping in for a congrats. Kudos to you. I am considering a downshift soon myself.  Your posts have inspired me to consider this sooner rather than later.

There is no time like the present. My wife actually convinced me to downshift sooner rather than later. Although I handle the finances, she knew I was completely burnt out and not happy. Cubicle life was never for me. Not sure how I handled it sanely for 10 years. 

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 08:00:12 AM »
Congrats on shedding some of your chains

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 09:13:18 AM »
Thanks everyone. Nothing like a last day morning traffic jam to know what I absolutely won't miss.

Strangely, I sometimes miss my morning commute.  I had an easy one, about 12-15 minutes, all back roads and no highway.  I was alone with my thoughts and morning radio shows for a few minutes with no real responsibilities.  It was soothing. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 09:56:05 AM »

Strangely, I sometimes miss my morning commute.  I had an easy one, about 12-15 minutes, all back roads and no highway.  I was alone with my thoughts and morning radio shows for a few minutes with no real responsibilities.  It was soothing.

That sounds pretty nice. I've narrowly avoided numerous horrible/fatal accidents in my years of commuting and I won't miss it one bit.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 10:17:45 AM »
Badass!! congratulations

WoodStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 10:19:31 AM »
Well, my last day of full time work is tomorrow. I couldn't be more excited. I am taking the rest of the summer off to hang with the kids until they start back to school. Then I'll be doing part-time contract work on an as needed basis with the same company I am leaving. I can turn down work if they start loading me up with hours (which I have a feeling they will "try" do).

We have FU money but aren't quite ready to FIRE fully yet. We saved enough to let it ride for about 10 years never needing to invest another penny and be perfectly fine. My wife wants to continue working her normal 32 hours as she enjoys her job. I'll just work basically when I feel like working. I think the strangest part is knowing I will probably never work another full time job the rest of my life. Might take a while to sink on for me.

Congrats! Screen name is slightly inaccurate it seems...

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »

Haha true! I have been on MMM coming up on 3 years now. I suppose it's time for a change ( :

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »

Haha true! I have been on MMM coming up on 3 years now. I suppose it's time for a change ( :

Change is good!  Congratulations! 

Something I am realizing since FIREing, is that anyone with the ability and skills to take a honest whack at FIRE, has the ability and skills to adapt and overcome obstacles as they arise.  I'm sure you will do well!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:27:00 PM by Gone Fishing »

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 05:55:24 PM »
Hooray! Congratulations!

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »
Congratulations! That's basically what we've done, and it's marvelous. But know that, over time, it does make the idea of a 9-5 seem barbaric. :-)

ENJOY IT!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 06:53:58 PM »
Thanks all! I left work today on a good note by helping my replacement tackle some difficult challenges. Company was happy. Then I went swimming for a bit, had dinner with the family and we all sat around and had some good laughs. I feel absolutely no pressure to get going on stuff for the weekend before Monday rolls around and it's back to the grind.

It's a feeling I can't quite put into words!

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 12:21:01 PM »
Another congratulations! Live long and prosper!

You should definitely change your forum name to "Masterstache" or "Expertstache".

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »

You should definitely change your forum name to "Masterstache" or "Expertstache".

Congratulations.  I'm in the same boat.  Just left my job in June and my husband will work a couple more years.  Started a big garden this summer which makes me very happy.  Looking forward to being free in the fall as well.  Kind of surreal isn't it?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 07:08:16 AM »

Congratulations.  I'm in the same boat.  Just left my job in June and my husband will work a couple more years.  Started a big garden this summer which makes me very happy.  Looking forward to being free in the fall as well.  Kind of surreal isn't it?

Absolutely. I've been tending to my small garden. Hope to plant a big one next year. It's been a busy week running the kids around to swim lessons, gymnastics, Boy Scouts etc. Haven't missed work one bit.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 05:42:30 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I like MasterStache. Has a nice ring to it.

LateToTheParty

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 09:06:23 PM »
Ha ha. Like the new name.

snowdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 06:33:03 AM »
Perhaps I missed some details here but how risky is this?  I don't want to be a buzz kill here but it sounds like you still may have some heavy lifting to do...how old are you...how many kids do you have and what are their ages?  Is college funded?  Mortgage paid off?  Is your profession a skill set that will not get stale and you could jump back in full time after years of just part time with no problem?  Life throws lot's of curve balls at us and kids get more expensive the older they get.  Perhaps you can get by fine on your wife's income which is a nice backstop to have.     

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 07:20:18 AM »
Perhaps I missed some details here but how risky is this?  I don't want to be a buzz kill here but it sounds like you still may have some heavy lifting to do...how old are you...how many kids do you have and what are their ages?  Is college funded?  Mortgage paid off?  Is your profession a skill set that will not get stale and you could jump back in full time after years of just part time with no problem?  Life throws lot's of curve balls at us and kids get more expensive the older they get.  Perhaps you can get by fine on your wife's income which is a nice backstop to have.   

I think you did miss some details. I will be contracting starting September on an as-needed basis. This will keep my skills up. I absolutely have the ability to jump back in full time if need be. But that is a worse case scenario. There will always be "what-ifs" but if we wanted to plan for every single thing (which isn't technically possible) I would still be working full time for many many years. No thanks, we are absolutely comfortable with where we are and have a virtual unlimited amount of flexibility built in.

snowdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
That's great to hear that you have a virtual unlimited amount of flexibility built in and I'd love to learn how I could do the same.  If you would you be willing to answer the basic questions that I posed that would help many learn much which is the purpose of these boards.   

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »
That's great to hear that you have a virtual unlimited amount of flexibility built in and I'd love to learn how I could do the same.  If you would you be willing to answer the basic questions that I posed that would help many learn much which is the purpose of these boards.

Sure, 2 kids ages 13 and 7. Partial college funded (funding college was never a part of our savings plan since there are so many ways to pay for college). And we do have a small mortgage on a small house.

snowdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:38 AM »
Since you did not give your age I assume you are in your 30's.  While we also do not know the value of your stash, given your admission that you're not at FI level yet, I'd have to say that  you're plan sounds very risky.  So much can change over time.  This plan of checking out for 10 years may actually result in you working full time much longer some time down the road to achieve true FI.  Sounds to me that you're trying to short cut it.  Just offering an honest opinion  here.  I remember when I was in my mid 30's, I also projected out that I could have stopped  saving at that time and still reach my number for FI.  Doing the math now shows that I would have fallen woefully short and I would  need  to continue to work well into my 60's (When I was  doing my FV calc's I did not  foresee the dot com bubble burst and the 2000-02 and 2008-09 recession).  Instead I sucked it up to find meaningful roles in my career and kept saving.  Result...I reached FI years earlier than my goal.  I now continue to work  because I love my job and the stash has nearly doubled since reaching FI.  Before you get caught up in  all  of the high fives your getting  on  this board, I'd rethink things before you drop out of your career.  I agree that you have unlimited flexibility in your plan as long as you define flexibility as  willing to go back to work full time  and attempt to restart your career after a lapse.  This is not always as easy as is sounds.           

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 05:46:48 AM »
While we also do not know the value of your stash

Given that you don't know the value of our stash and are lacking in many other details I am not sure how you can offer a valid critique. I started this thread to celebrate a milestone, not ask for opinions and critiques. I'll answer basic questions and provide some detail. But you are missing huge chunks of vital information in your "analysis." I'll let you worry about that. I am not worried and neither is my wife ( : That's all that matters.

tomboalogo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 06:56:50 AM »
Congrats, I did it 2 weeks ago (should have posted, oops).

Everyone's situation is different and there is no right or wrong. Follow your course and correct if needed.

snowdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »
Sorry...didn't mean to hit a nerve here.  My critique was valid simply by you're disclosure that you weren't fully FI yet.  I was just offering a different perspective for you to consider.  If you have a trust fund that you did not disclose then congratulations and enjoy FIRE!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »
Sorry...didn't mean to hit a nerve here.  My critique was valid simply by you're disclosure that you weren't fully FI yet.  I was just offering a different perspective for you to consider.  If you have a trust fund that you did not disclose then congratulations and enjoy FIRE!

You didn't hit a nerve. We've considered all perspectives. Our plan has evolved over time. It's been molded and shaped based on our own desires, circumstances etc. Nothing was decided on a whim. We are very happy with where we are at and very confident that we'll weather whatever is thrown at us. That is all that matters. Your critique is based only on what I was willing to share, hence it's limited in it's validity. But again I am not here to share minute details of our financial and personal lives. We'll enjoy FIRE as well once we get there (without a trust fund even).

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 12:10:30 PM »
Congrats, I did it 2 weeks ago (should have posted, oops).

Everyone's situation is different and there is no right or wrong. Follow your course and correct if needed.

Congrats to you! Yep no two paths are the same. Flexibility is key. Life never happens in a straight line!

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 08:05:01 PM »
Congrats! Yeah, you won't misss the commute. We had to take one of the kids to an event across town for 5pm last week. OMG. We haven't commuted in 10 years. It's quite a shock to be reminded what people put up with on a daily basis.

You have healthcare sorted out?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 06:04:53 AM »
Congrats! Yeah, you won't misss the commute. We had to take one of the kids to an event across town for 5pm last week. OMG. We haven't commuted in 10 years. It's quite a shock to be reminded what people put up with on a daily basis.

You have healthcare sorted out?

Wife is still working and carrying healthcare.

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »
Ah, that's good. You mind sharing what your wife does? One of us might have to get a job with healthcare soon...be good if Mrs.C could get something part-time with healthcare for the family.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2017, 05:43:02 AM »
Ah, that's good. You mind sharing what your wife does? One of us might have to get a job with healthcare soon...be good if Mrs.C could get something part-time with healthcare for the family.

She is still working her full time job as an MRI Tech. She can (and has) reduced her hours down to 32 and still carry healthcare. So she has some flexibility.

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2017, 05:52:50 AM »

She is still working her full time job as an MRI Tech. She can (and has) reduced her hours down to 32 and still carry healthcare. So she has some flexibility.

That's excellent. Good for you both. Glad you could make it work.

My wife was an accountant, but does not have a CPA. She makes a face whenever I (jokingly) suggest she dust off her resume (she's been a SAHP for 10 years now). I think we'll muddle through somehow.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!