Author Topic: Keeping it real: great deals on common items  (Read 2272 times)

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
Keeping it real: great deals on common items
« on: June 19, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »
This post was inspired by the one "Buying better but way more expensive things..." by Arktinkerer and a desire to continue living within our means. Sometimes we can find things we need at prices that are great values. Care to share?

My wonderful-but-pricey Merrill sneakers final wore out after about 10 years. I thought, no problem, I'll get some new ones. But, Merrill had changed the shape of the footbed to accommodate wider feet. After a long search, I found some great sneakers that fit, with features I like, at half the price. My "Dr. Scholl's Women's Curry-ls Fashion Sneaker" in Gray/Green were only $44.99 on Amazon. (Walmart.com has them at the same price.) They're more of a soft blue-gray and the only green is the logo. I think they are very good-looking, the footbed is quite comfortable, and the sole is flared for support. I did have to add Dr. Scholl's arch supports (tucked under the insole) because of my high arches. I've been wearing them for 3.5 months; they still look new and I love wearing them. So far, the quality appears to be excellent.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Keeping it real: great deals on common items
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 08:40:19 AM »
Nice!
I just bought some Keens sandals for $7 used but in good condition at a wildlife charity's thrift store.  At this point, though, I need to just stop buying shoes because I have more than enough.  I don't buy sneakers used - the cushioning doesn't last well, but sandals and dress shoes are often donated with a lot of life left.

One thrift store mistake - I spent $2 buying a gallon glass container with lid to make ice tea in.  The lid sucks - if I pour through the pour spout it ends up leaking all over and if I take it completely off I always end up spilling when am poour into my glass.  Yes - I know the real problem is the clumsy person pouring.  I went out a couple days and spent $4.88 at Walmart to buy a gallon glass jar with a spigot (is that the right way to say it?)

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
Re: Keeping it real: great deals on common items
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 08:10:13 PM »
The gallon jar price sounds good, too. The Keens sandals look really good for toe protection... which would help this clumsy person. I'm still wearing some ancient Teva sandals.