Author Topic: I miss the math  (Read 54860 times)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: I miss the math
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »
@Arebelspy I just noticed your location says "Traveling the world"...lol. I'm currently selling my house so at the end of Apr I'll be homeless and unemployed...I'm such a loser :-). I'll have to remember to change my location because that's my plan, to just roam the earth.

Yup, we're homeless bums.  :)

I put that as my location, because I didn't want to have to update it every time we moved cities.  I do have a journal thread though that stays updated with my current location.

There's also that GPS tracker chip the NSA installed in all of us.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2016, 09:12:56 AM »
@Arebelspy I just noticed your location says "Traveling the world"...lol. I'm currently selling my house so at the end of Apr I'll be homeless and unemployed...I'm such a loser :-). I'll have to remember to change my location because that's my plan, to just roam the earth.

I put that as my location, because I didn't want to have to update it every time we moved cities.  I do have a journal thread though that stays updated with my current location.

There's also that GPS tracker chip the NSA installed in all of us.

Right, we still have to schedule the baby's appointment to get that installed when we're in the States in May.  Thanks for the reminder!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

phwadsworth

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »
I sympathize.  A few people have accused me of being a cover model for this magazine

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2016, 09:23:45 AM »
I wonder how many people under 30 have ever used a dot matrix printer like that.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2016, 09:39:11 AM »
I wonder how many people under 30 have ever used a dot matrix printer like that.

Such a distinctive sound.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2016, 09:56:09 AM »

So many hole ribbons on the side to rip off.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2016, 11:07:44 AM »

One of my funnest random jobs in college was as a temp in an office that did customer service and had lots of records.  For some reason I never understood, they would print monthly reports that size on a dot matrix printer and then never use them.  One of my responsibilities was to sit in the warehouse and shred them in a big industrial shredder.  Basically, I was paid to feed one end of the stack in the shredder and then sit back and occasionally replace the trash bags to catch the continuous stream of paper.  I always liked shredding days. 

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2016, 10:32:53 PM »

I've seen other post from you and I've always liked your objective insight. I clicked your journal thread and the first thing that came up was Camino de Santiago de Compostela...no time to read tonight but that is freaking awesome! I so want to head to New Zealand (My dream for the last 20+ years) for a couple of months but I would rather go when it's warmer. So now I think I'm heading toward Europe and Asia. I'm doing it alone so I have some anxiety about it but I'm going to force myself to do it just to see what happens.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2016, 01:44:04 AM »
We're about to leave Europe (well, in a month), but then we'll be down in Australia for the summer (their winter), and New Zealand around August/September, and Asia for the 6-8ish months after that, so if you end up in those areas, let me know, we should get together.  :)

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:41 AM »
Sent you a PM!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2016, 06:52:13 AM »
You will probably enjoy this conference - http://www.eusprig.org/horror-stories.htm

Basically a conference devoted to managing inherent risk with spreadsheet errors. That link is a fun list of normally really expensive "oops" mistakes in spreadsheets that cost thousands or millions.

chetmanly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2016, 11:15:55 AM »

BREEEET BREEET BREEET BRROOVE BROOOVE (Choking lion) (choking lion) BREEET BREEET (barfing dog)

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »
Wait a second, it could be a daisy wheel printer too! The one we had was louder than any dot matrix printer but had the ribbons!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2016, 01:25:15 PM »

BREEEET BREEET BREEET BRROOVE BROOOVE (Choking lion) (choking lion) BREEET BREEET (barfing dog)

That's surprisingly accurate.

Wait a second, it could be a daisy wheel printer too! The one we had was louder than any dot matrix printer but had the ribbons!

That one's more CLACK CLA CLACKATA CLACK CLA CLACK <whhhheeeeppp> CLACKATA CLACK CLACK CLACKATA CLA CLACK <whhhheeeeppp>

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »
http://forupm.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/er-take-pension-now-or-later/msg1066311/#msg1066311

Arbelspy, will you take your awesomeness over there and enjoy some math for me?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2016, 04:21:56 AM »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »
I guess I would think more about the cash flow but that wouldn't be optimizing in your case.
You're almost always gonna increase cash flow more by buying new leveraged property than paying down existing loans.
If not, you may be in a crappy market.

ARS, think about my consulting idea? ;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2016, 11:02:50 AM »

That sounds suspiciously like a job.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »

Not if I don't pay you to consult me. :D

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2016, 11:24:29 AM »

Not if I don't pay you to consult me. :D

* it, you're close enough, take the leap.

That'll be $0, please.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2016, 01:58:21 PM »

I am seriously thinking about setting up a second rental partnership just to have more investment deals to do (the first one, our cash is all in and we're waiting on some renovations and subsequent restructuring before we can procure). Keep in mind, before this first one even starts paying out, I'm probably FIREd. It's less than 10% of my total invested NW. A 2nd would be even smaller.

I'll make money spinning up a second company, but I basically know I'll never need it... so, is it a job? Or am I just having fun while coaxing some other n00bz into the business and mentoring them?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:00:13 PM by zephyr911 »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I miss the math
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2016, 11:39:23 PM »
That's for you to decide, I guess.

I'd need more details on the amount of time and effort involved before I'd make a decision of "retirement hobby" versus "career change".  (I, unlike MMM, don't buy into the "if you are FI and call yourself retired, even if still working, you're retired"--though I'm not going to join the IRP and go around and call people on it, but you asked. Except EFB. I'll call him on it, cause gods, we gotta get that guy out!).

But what I think doesn't matter, it's what you think.

And actually, what you think (retired or not) doesn't matter either. Do what you want to do, and who cares about how it's labeled?

If you want to start an investing partnership and work with people, and it's a job, or not... so?

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:42:39 PM by arebelspy »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2016, 05:58:24 AM »

I'd need more details on the amount of time and effort involved before I'd make a decision of "retirement hobby" versus "career change".  (I, unlike MMM, don't buy into the "if you are FI and call yourself retired, even if still working, you're retired"--though I'm not going to join the IRP and go around and call people on it, but you asked. Except EFB. I'll call him on it, cause gods, we gotta get that guy out!).

And actually, what you think (retired or not) doesn't matter either. Do what you want to do, and who cares about how it's labeled?

If you want to start an investing partnership and work with people, and it's a job, or not... so?

That was an interesting post from the perspective of an ER on work, but what did you mean by 'it's later than you think'?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2016, 06:29:04 AM »
what did you mean by 'it's later than you think'?

Well, that depends on who's reading it, I suppose.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »
I love it, can I use it?

To me it means DON'T WASTE ANOTHER MINUTE!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
Yikes everybody, what is all of this 'don't waste another minute' business?  As a fun sideshow, I'm listening to Neal Stephenson's latest 'Seveneves' which depicts a possible demise of the human race.  But that is all fiction!  We (being the privileged) will most likeley live to 90 or 100 (or far longer, as I postulated here).  I totally don't buy in to the idea that time is fleeting, other than our attention spans.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2016, 07:56:43 AM »
Yikes everybody, what is all of this 'don't waste another minute' business?  As a fun sideshow, I'm listening to Neal Stephenson's latest 'Seveneves' which depicts a possible demise of the human race.  But that is all fiction!  We (being the privileged) will most likeley live to 90 or 100 (or far longer, as I postulated here).  I totally don't buy in to the idea that time is fleeting, other than our attention spans.

Time isn't fleeting perhaps. But prime health and mental acumen? Those sure might be.

The idea of living to 90 or 100 vs 70 or 80 matters a lot less if you are unable able to fully enjoy those years.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2016, 08:41:27 AM »

Time isn't fleeting perhaps. But prime health and mental acumen? Those sure might be.

The idea of living to 90 or 100 vs 70 or 80 matters a lot less if you are unable able to fully enjoy those years.

I guess that's it.  Health outcomes from 40 onward are really screwy.  I've seen people die of heart attacks at the same age that I've seen people fun world record half marathon times, so maybe that is the message?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2016, 12:17:38 AM »
Yikes everybody, what is all of this 'don't waste another minute' business?

Everybody?  One person said that.  Maybe that was the message for him.  I don't see anything wrong with that takeaway, at all, in any case, but who is "everybody" you are addressing that to?  :)

We (being the privileged) will most likeley live to 90 or 100 (or far longer, as I postulated here).

90 or 100 years (or 10,000 years) is nothing.  A blink of an eye.

Eternity are in the seconds, but the years are nothing.

I totally don't buy in to the idea that time is fleeting, other than our attention spans.

I don't know if anything isn't fleeting.

I guess that's it.  Health outcomes from 40 onward are really screwy.  I've seen people die of heart attacks at the same age that I've seen people fun world record half marathon times, so maybe that is the message?

Cool.  Maybe that's the message for you:
what did you mean by 'it's later than you think'?

Well, that depends on who's reading it, I suppose.

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2016, 12:31:18 AM »
We (being the privileged) will most likeley live to 90 or 100 (or far longer, as I postulated here).

90 or 100 years (or 10,000 years) is nothing.  A blink of an eye.

Eternity are in the seconds, but the years are nothing. ...

One thing that I always respected about a former friend of mine was that he steadfastly maintained that he would live forever.

It's actually not as far-fetched as it sounds, especially if we adopt a generous definition of "live forever". One of the relatively clear approaches to eternal life would be to develop technology that is able to scan a person's brain and extract the algorithms and memories that make them who they are, and then reimplement those algorithms in a different medium not subject to the frailties of the human body.

Personally, I've generally assumed that I will die at some point, but maybe that just means I'm not taking on a challenge. Maybe assuming that we will die makes us wussypants. Instead of just accepting death, perhaps we should rise to the occasion and beat it. This project might just be worthy of your time in retirement.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:37:03 AM by Cathy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2016, 05:11:11 AM »
Instead of just accepting death, perhaps we should rise to the occasion and beat it.

I don't see anything that needs beating. Death is not an enemy.

Michread

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2016, 05:29:34 AM »
Write a book on the math of real estate investing and FI.  I would buy it.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2016, 06:47:05 AM »
I would borrow it.  😉

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »
We aren't even FIRE yet and I already sort of relate.  At this point our savings habits are pretty well ingrained and while we do still make efforts at tweaking and optimizing further, the fact is that we are past the point of being able to make huge money saving changes like switching to a bike commute instead of driving or cutting the grocery bill by eliminating booze and filet mignon.  It is still fun to challenge myself to make small tweaks--I remind myself that even a savings of $50/month on a regular basis is a $15k decrease in required stash, so it is worth it to look for those kinds of reductions, especially if they are relatively painless.   But our current situation is more like "just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine", so there isn't quite the same thrill as there was a few years ago when I first started really socking money away. 

All that said, surely there are other things you can turn into a spreadsheet?  I feel like I have quite a bit to keep track of that isn't FIRE!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
Do what you want to do, and who cares about how it's labeled?
Oh, I'm with you 100%, and that's why I figured this might be relevant to your missing the math. I'm sure there's a way to get that mental exercise without feeling like you went back to the rat race.

I love that line. I get it.

I don't see anything that needs beating. Death is not an enemy.
FIRE has turned you into a muhfuggin' Zen master.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2016, 09:41:19 AM »

Hey I'm out!.. Well in 3 weeks I wil be.. Just one more sheckel to add to the stash.. Ca I pay for the SE Asia trip for the 17th time in the next 3 weeks.. maaybe...:)

mishek01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2016, 11:38:29 AM »
Before FIRE, I updated spreadsheets.  I made projections.  I worked, and reworked numbers.

Now, there's nothing to project.  Sure, I have a few estimates around what my FIRE spending will be, or income around my rentals, but that's mostly just waiting to see what the data comes in as.  There's no "what if..." tweaking.  There's no "if I change THIS variable."

I miss that tinkering.  The projecting.  It was fun to do that, and then see the progress, and to update those estimates with data, and make new ones.

Just me?  :D
Haha, I am playing with spreadsheets currently, and I really do enjoy it... I didn't even think of how much I enjoy messing with them until you mentioned this. I guess it is an engineering nerd kinda thing...

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »
He he, I was just reading this thread sat in a coffee shop on the outskirts of Shanghai when I had one of those "WTF are you doing?" Moments.

Oh wait, never mind I am sat contentedly in a Chinese coffee shop typing on a Kindle.. Life is good... :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2016, 09:10:09 PM »
That's the dream.