Author Topic: I bought a compact tractor  (Read 5748 times)

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
I bought a compact tractor
« on: December 01, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »
Que: "Now I'm not the world's most physical guy". I designed computer cards for a living. But I have do have 3+ acres with pond and beach to maintain. Its a Deere 3025e with a front loader/pallet forks/brush mower/box blade. After a year I think I have already recouped the value. I find uses I never imagined like as a platform to hang hurricane shutters. They do hold their value very well it seems.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: I bought a compact tractor
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 05:56:40 AM »
I'm sure with 3 acres is was a good buy. I have a simplicity and dont know how I would get along without it.

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 10:20:04 AM »
Over the Thanksgiving holiday the young ladies we had over for dinner went for a paddleboat ride. They happened to cross paths with a harmless water snake. I have never seen a paddleboat get up on a plane before. For me having just a few acres and the privacy it affords does increase the quality of life.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 06:55:48 PM »
You need a backhoe for that bad boy so you can do some REAL damage around the place.  Ask me how I know.

:)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 09:12:04 PM »
You can make a lot of friends with a tractor. 

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 07:10:02 PM »
You need a backhoe for that bad boy so you can do some REAL damage around the place.  Ask me how I know.

:)

Thinking of getting a piranha tooth bar that bolts on the loader so it can dig better. It can also clear brush. A backhoe would be very handy.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 09:50:29 AM »
Nice 3E! I've got a 3038E and have been pretty happy with it, aside from hydraulic leak down on the bucket.

I've read that the front axle seals are prone to leaking if you use MFWD a lot (no pressure vent) so I make it a habit to crack the front axle fill momentarily after I shut down. Had it a few years and no leaks yet!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 11:02:06 PM »
We have one too.  Can't remember the model number, but it has a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel (I think).

Ours had an issue with the fuel pump leaking diesel into the crankcase.  Instead of properly repairing the fuel pump I drained the oil and replaced it, and now just turn off the fuel petcock each time I use the tractor.  Cheapest and simplest solution.

We learned the hard way to trim down the driveshaft for PTO driven tillers, that lesson broke the PTO shaft housing. 

Be careful carrying heavy loads in the bucket because the little tractor tips over quite easily.  Keep the bucket low and be extra careful on any kind of incline.  The small front wheels seem to be part of the tip over problem.   

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 07:47:40 AM »
Nice.  I've got the orange tractor, a Kubota BX1860 with a bucket and rear box to balance weight.  I mostly use it to haul firewood out of my woods (I forest manage a bit over 13 acres) and help clear snow when it gets deep enough that the plow on my Wrangler doesn't have any place to put it anymore.  I make "snow farms" in the woods.   I used it yesterday to reposition my snowplow as I convert my Wrangler over from offroad summer mode (steel front bumper with winch) to winter mode (plow adapter frame). 

I use it for more frivolous things as well like bringing the trash and recycling bins to the bottom of my driveway (steep hill and 800 feet). 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 04:25:21 PM »
Nice.  I've got the orange tractor, a Kubota BX1860 with a bucket and rear box to balance weight.  I mostly use it to haul firewood out of my woods (I forest manage a bit over 13 acres) and help clear snow when it gets deep enough that the plow on my Wrangler doesn't have any place to put it anymore.  I make "snow farms" in the woods.   I used it yesterday to reposition my snowplow as I convert my Wrangler over from offroad summer mode (steel front bumper with winch) to winter mode (plow adapter frame). 

I use it for more frivolous things as well like bringing the trash and recycling bins to the bottom of my driveway (steep hill and 800 feet).
[/quote

Love the Kubota. My friend has one and I use it more than him! Hes had to have had it for 20+ years and its very dependable

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 07:35:48 AM »

Although you could spend more to be frivolous!
 Ya, it's a Hummer.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 09:55:30 AM »
I can't live without a tractor, have had several, currently using a Deere 5085, 85hp 4wd rig with; loader, 7' rotary mower, 7' rotary tiller, planter, disk, forks, etc.
Also have a Case 580 backhoe loader with extendahoe, 4 in one loader bucket and cab.

Be careful, it gets addictive.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 05:09:31 AM »
Pick up a cheap AC stick welder off of craigslist and build your own tooth bar. 

A '69 Sears Suburban does the work on our small farm.  Incredible what the little machine can do once I weighed down the back end.  Which beings up a good point.  If you haven't already, fill the rear tires with fluid, add wheel weights, and put a heavy rear implement on when doing loader work, helps keep the tires on the ground!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 12:53:34 PM »
I actually have a rack that I welded up years ago like on the front of that hummer.  It goes into the plow adapter frame.  It can fold up while installed to be out of the way and installs with a single spring clip.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm sure with 3 acres is was a good buy. I have a simplicity and dont know how I would get along without it.

My father has a five acre homestead in interior Alaska and small simplicity tractor for each acre... I don't think he paid more than a couple hundred dollars for any of them. They are all older than I am. His logic behind having so many is that he only needs to change implements twice a year this way. Some of tractors are also better suited for some implements (he prefers the hydro static drive for the loader but the manual is fine for the lawn mover and blowing snow)... Last summer his garden produced so well that he's actually been saving a couple hundred dollars a month by eating all the vegetables he froze from it.

requiredwhen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »
We have a 1975 John Deere 2130 with a bucket (mid size tractor, about 70hp). We're in the process of converting old pastures to a pine nut farm. Love driving over junipers with a rotary mower!

I agree with the comments to get a backhoe, or maybe even a used mini excavator. You could make a little side cash with that thing.