Author Topic: Hunger makes food taste amazing  (Read 2315 times)

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
Hunger makes food taste amazing
« on: April 13, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
I am not really used to feeling hungry. Fortunately it has never been a real concern for me, not even once in my 59 years. I wanted to get into tip top shape so that if I did get the virus I might survive it. Along with two hour workouts I gradually cut back to two smaller but healthier meals a day and little snacking in between. Sometimes my stomach starts reminding me to eat. "Hey buddy, how about a little something for me?". I kinda like it, a little growl, feeling very alive. And when I do have my meal, wow it tastes so good !!! Luckily no blood sugar issues here. What are your thoughts on letting yourself feel hungry sometimes?

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
Re: Hunger makes food taste amazing
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 02:31:38 PM »
I've been doing intermittent fasting for about two years.  It becomes the "new normal" over time and you don't get hunger pangs most days.   Lost about 40 pounds.

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 06:43:48 AM »
I've been doing intermittent fasting for about two years.  It becomes the "new normal" over time and you don't get hunger pangs most days.   Lost about 40 pounds.

Wow! Way to go. I am shooting for a 10lb loss and stronger core muscles. That will put me back at my high school weight. Real tired of that aching back every time I work on something around the house.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 07:24:51 AM »
Did some intermittent fasting and totally agree.  I also found even when eating more regularly this to work much more intensely per category than you'd think as well, as when we turn indulgences into habit it really kills the experience.  People forget how amazing coffee is when they have it every day.  A fast food hamburger got so disgusting when I was on the road a lot, but I had one the other day for the first time in a couple months and thought it tasted amazing.  If refined sugar doesn't make your eyes open and your heart race you're getting way too much... I'm convinced just an attempt at the right balance for all these things will make you healthier and happier

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »
i was thinking of the opposite approach for prepping for the virus and a long-term survival plan: put on a bunch of weight and live off of it after grocery stores have been ransacked. i'll save the stockpiled food for my kids.

Mike in NH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 12:43:58 PM »
"...but the best of all sauces is hunger." - Edward Abbey

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 12:47:15 PM »
If refined sugar doesn't make your eyes open and your heart race you're getting way too much...

That's a great way to look at it. At the age of 21 I was finishing up a 30ish mile three summit hike with a buddy from school. I didn't eat much sugar at the time and was feeling pretty beat when he offered me a GU. It kicked in a few minutes later and I ran the rest of the way back to the car! I started eating them on lots of hikes and bike rides and they slowly lost that effectiveness. I've cut them out since then and now use sugar for emergency energy boosts. Even knowing for years how it impacts my body it's still always a temptation to eat too much of the tasty stuff.

Nice job!

I am not really used to feeling hungry. Fortunately it has never been a real concern for me, not even once in my 59 years. I wanted to get into tip top shape so that if I did get the virus I might survive it. Along with two hour workouts I gradually cut back to two smaller but healthier meals a day and little snacking in between. Sometimes my stomach starts reminding me to eat. "Hey buddy, how about a little something for me?". I kinda like it, a little growl, feeling very alive. And when I do have my meal, wow it tastes so good !!! Luckily no blood sugar issues here. What are your thoughts on letting yourself feel hungry sometimes?

I had a similar thought about cardio health and used it as the final push to get myself running again this spring. It's always been a struggle to stay fit in the winter in AK... As I get older it seems more important though.

I especially like the feeling of being hungry because I burned a lot of calories. Saturday I ran 4.5 miles before breaking my fast at noon. It felt good. Then I spend 5 hours cutting down beetle kill trees in the yard. I'm pretty sure running a chainsaw is a form of HIIT :)

Mike in NH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 07:20:52 AM »
@Alternatepriorities isn't it an amazing feeling though on a hike when you are so depleted, you can literally feel the energy come back to your body? Such an interesting contrast to everyday life with cheap energy almost constantly within arms reach.

Hope you are well, wish we were back in Alaska right now, I came home from that trip last year and ended up quitting my job to become a mountain guide :)

Roger D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 08:33:15 AM »
Hunger is the best appetiser, but nowadays most people are constantly eating and never get hungry.

The trick is: you just need something to do that's more interesting than eating. Then, which you finish doing that, after not having thought about food in the meantime, suddenly you feel really hungry, and any food - even healthy food - tastes wonderful!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 09:22:28 AM »
@Alternatepriorities isn't it an amazing feeling though on a hike when you are so depleted, you can literally feel the energy come back to your body? Such an interesting contrast to everyday life with cheap energy almost constantly within arms reach.

Hope you are well, wish we were back in Alaska right now, I came home from that trip last year and ended up quitting my job to become a mountain guide :)

Mike that is awesome. The mountains are not closed here and for that I am thankful. It is an amazing feeling as the energy enters depleted muscles. The hiking, running and biking are usually the only times I feel it. I’ve been doing some experimenting with my diet this spring and actually felt myself hit the “muscles are out of energy” point while running a chain saw after going for a run last weekend. I’m not eating any sugar right now though. I couldn’t get the rush of energy eating cheese and nuts but it did eventually return. It’s fun seeing how my body responds to different foods!

How is guiding going? Did you start your own company or join one?

ShastaFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 10:52:11 AM »
Hunger is the best appetiser, but nowadays most people are constantly eating and never get hungry.

I have a friend who teaches high school kids (for 20+ years, a total hero), and one thing she noticed changing over the years is how much snacking and sipping increased...now they are always eating or drinking something.  I'm a genXer, and I can't remember snacking at all between classes. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 11:18:46 AM »

I have a friend who teaches high school kids (for 20+ years, a total hero), and one thing she noticed changing over the years is how much snacking and sipping increased...now they are always eating or drinking something.  I'm a genXer, and I can't remember snacking at all between classes.

DW teaches high school and she's seen the same thing.

Class room snacking wasn't allowed when i went to high school. Sometime around when I graduated I started hearing about a study showing "hungry kids don't learn as well" so it became and education priority to feed kids. As someone prone to snacking when bored (like in class) and given the explosion of childhood obesity and diabetes, I can't help but wonder if those studies were funded by snack food companies...  I don't eat much candy, but Snickers was my favorite bar for years. Their "Hungry? Why wait?" campaign really turns me off though.

Mike in NH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »

Mike that is awesome. The mountains are not closed here and for that I am thankful. It is an amazing feeling as the energy enters depleted muscles. The hiking, running and biking are usually the only times I feel it. I’ve been doing some experimenting with my diet this spring and actually felt myself hit the “muscles are out of energy” point while running a chain saw after going for a run last weekend. I’m not eating any sugar right now though. I couldn’t get the rush of energy eating cheese and nuts but it did eventually return. It’s fun seeing how my body responds to different foods!

I joined a company that already had a good presence in the area and the owner is well-respected. Perfect fit for a part-time FIRE gig. It was going really well, then we voluntarily shut down pretty early on in this ordeal since a lot of our clients travel in from out of state. Spring shoulder season is my least favorite time to hike, so at least in that sense the timing is pretty good. Hoping to get back out there soon.

I find that whenever I'm trying to cut...carbs, sugar, etc...I have to be really careful with strenuous activities. My body might not need a sugar laden clif bar, but it still needs something, and I tend to bonk out pretty quickly if I take it too far.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »

I joined a company that already had a good presence in the area and the owner is well-respected. Perfect fit for a part-time FIRE gig. It was going really well, then we voluntarily shut down pretty early on in this ordeal since a lot of our clients travel in from out of state. Spring shoulder season is my least favorite time to hike, so at least in that sense the timing is pretty good. Hoping to get back out there soon.

I find that whenever I'm trying to cut...carbs, sugar, etc...I have to be really careful with strenuous activities. My body might not need a sugar laden clif bar, but it still needs something, and I tend to bonk out pretty quickly if I take it too far.

I did an awesome 3 day hike two summers ago while eating keto. We did allow one hot mountain house for dinner each day, but everything else was cheese and nuts... It was an interesting experiment. I have some interest in trying a longer thru hike that way.

If you want to do some hiking up here when this mess is finally over just let me know. :)

ShastaFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 08:32:15 PM »

DW teaches high school and she's seen the same thing.

Class room snacking wasn't allowed when i went to high school. Sometime around when I graduated I started hearing about a study showing "hungry kids don't learn as well" so it became and education priority to feed kids. As someone prone to snacking when bored (like in class) and given the explosion of childhood obesity and diabetes, I can't help but wonder if those studies were funded by snack food companies...  I don't eat much candy, but Snickers was my favorite bar for years. Their "Hungry? Why wait?" campaign really turns me off though.
Yeah, you have to wonder.

ShastaFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 08:50:13 PM »

Nice observation - I am a backpacker myself, and a well-timed, good snack or that first real meal off the trail is about enough to send me into the ether.