Author Topic: How to quit a job and leave the door open for future contract work?  (Read 1086 times)

4tify

• Bristles
My contract is up at work this fall and I'm planning not to renew. I've been with them for about 7 years and it's been a good job overall, but I'm ready to step out and move into the next phase. There's a possibility I could do some consulting or one-off jobs for them in the future. I don't want to burn any bridges I guess is what I'm saying.

I'm FI and this could end up being my launch into RE, but I'm just not 100% sure I am done with this career. I AM sure I don't want a full time high stress job anymore! I also know they are going to put up a fight and try to keep me on.

How would you advise communicating the decision to leave while also keeping the door open for future work? I've thought about the "I've decided to take a sabbatical" route but not sure.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
Re: How to quit a job and leave the door open for future contract work?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 09:34:37 AM »
What do you think "put up a fight and try to keep me on" will look like?

One thing I can advise is to make it really clear you're not fishing for a raise/retention offer by declining to renew your contract. It does leave a bad taste in people's mouths if the people you report to burn their social capital going to their superior to put something together and you still turn it down.

4tify

• Bristles
Re: How to quit a job and leave the door open for future contract work?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 09:36:36 AM »
Thanks @maizefolk that's a really good point. I'm definitely NOT fishing for money so I'll all that in.