Author Topic: How Much Are You Increasing Your FIRE Spending Budget For 2022?  (Read 5048 times)

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
How Much Are You Increasing Your FIRE Spending Budget For 2022?
« on: January 12, 2022, 12:38:18 PM »
As the December, 2021 CPI numbers just came out, how much are you thinking of increasing your spending limit for 2022? 7% seems crazy to me, but I guess that's what we're going to increase ours by. Not that we'll spend that much more, but it seems like we should at least put it down on paper, since that's what the BLS says expenses have gone up by. Curious what other FIREees are thinking...

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
Re: How Much Are You Increasing Your FIRE Spending Budget For 2022?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 01:02:20 PM »
My partner and I review our spending vs. budget in December to see where we are and to set up our tracking spreadsheet for the next year.  We ignore CPI.  Certain things, like utilities are up more than 7% for us.  Other things are down, like travel (due to COVID). 

I suspect you're asking because of the 4% rule.  The following is just my opinion, and is not intended as a criticism of you or anyone who follows the 4% rule after FIRE.  This is just how I approach it.  I see the 4% rule as a fantastic rough rule of thumb to get into the ballpark for an amount to have saved to begin FIRE.  I see it as very sub-optimal for actually planning FIRE spending.  If someone finds themselves FIREing into an economic downturn, they may want to spend less than the "rule" says.  Most people who FIREd a few years ago are probably able to spend a lot more than they planned when they FIREd.  The further you get from the last day of work the less the rule applies.  There are lots of variable spending approaches that work better to figure out how you can spend. 

Of course, you may have been asking for another reason, but either way I just ignore the 4% rule, including increases for inflation, at this point of my FIRE journey (2.5-3 years post-FIRE). 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 02:13:36 PM by FIRE 20/20 »

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 01:13:13 PM »
I'm not increasing it. 

I budgeted for $30k last year, but only spent $19k.  I budgeted $25k for 2022.  So I decreased my budget, but could end up spending more than 2021.  It'll be what it'll be.

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 05:32:37 PM »
My budget is really just tracking spending. I suppose it's a budget because if I can see we are spending too much on something we can adjust. For me a better question is do you expect your spending to increase and the answer is no.

Inflation isn't the big issue for us. It's just random spending that can occur especially due to having kids.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 07:25:03 PM »
One of the reasons we built in a bevy of safety margins into our FIRE plan was so we didn't have to sweat the small stuff.

We'll spend what we spend.

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 07:37:53 PM »
I will know how much we spend in 2022 on December 31, 2022.
We don't have a budget. We spend as much as we want. But we live frugally and comfortably.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 08:26:05 PM »
My interest in tracking spending and increasing our 'allowance' based on CPI, each year, is mostly academic. In 2021, we spent ~2.4% of invested assets, so it's not like we're, exactly, chafing at the bit to spend more money. I just like to keep track of how much we could spend, based on the 4% 'rule', which includes increasing the yearly spend by CPI. So far, the yearly CPI increases have always been under 2%, but it compounds, so our allowance has already gone up pretty significantly. Adding another 7% on top of the cumulative increases we've made since 2016 is going to really jack up the amount we could be spending. Was just curious how others were thinking about this. Personally, we're not a typical family, so we're not near as affected by inflation as most normal people. For example, we bought the first new car of our entire lives in 2019. Drove it up the West Coast from L.A. to Vancouver, B.C., then, across the country to the East Coast. For the past two years, the car has mostly sat parked in front of our house, which seemed kind of dumb. So, we just sold the car to CarMax, with 15K miles on it, for almost as much as we paid for it brand new in 2019. The proceeds from the sale of our car will easily pay all of our living expenses for 2022. So, we shouldn't need to spend anything from our investments this year. I just like keeping track of how much we spend, and on what. It helps me to sleep better at night.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 07:43:14 AM »
I haven't updated my budget in over 5 years. I do check my annual spend at the end of each year. It hasn't changed since 2015. I will just keep living my life like I always do and I will see if my spending goes up a little this year. Not really that concerned about it.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 08:09:25 AM »
Budget?  What's that?

I buy things I need and sometimes things I want with money I'm able to spend.

I was around in the 70's when car loans were 20% and gas prices went up every single day.  7% doesn't phase me.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 08:34:32 AM »
Inflation is very specific and we are not affected by some of the inflationary factors that affect others:

Housing: we own our house outright and are not looking to buy or rent.

Energy: Since I am retired, I barely drive around much and my wife commutes in a hybrid which is very economical. We have solar panels installed on our house that offsets a lot of the electricity we consume. We use oil filled room heaters instead of our natural gas furnace whenever possible.

Food: Wife and I are both vegetarians and consume relatively little in the way of meat and dairy products. I've barely seen any impact on the cost of groceries. We don't eat out all that much either.

Entertainment: None of the online services we consume has become significantly more expensive.

Vehicles: We don't need or plan to buy a car in the next couple of years.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 03:12:30 PM »
My interest in tracking spending and increasing our 'allowance' based on CPI, each year, is mostly academic. In 2021, we spent ~2.4% of invested assets, so it's not like we're, exactly, chafing at the bit to spend more money. I just like to keep track of how much we could spend, based on the 4% 'rule', which includes increasing the yearly spend by CPI.

This is basically what I do. I never used 4% as my WR, and on my 4th year it does seem largely academic, but I kinda want to see how it all works out as against the hypothetical plan.

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 08:47:23 PM »
We'll spend what we spend.

This is how we live and I just can't see it failing. All with a WR of 5% to start off with. I just got sent a letter today that my company owes me $3k as well. Ka-ching. The same thing happened to my wife about 1 year ago. We both worked for the same company.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 09:17:51 PM »
No plans to increase. Same rough target and we see where we are at the end of the year.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 10:44:00 PM »
I haven't adjust plan planned spending level since I came up with a FIRE budget a few years ago. I don't track spending in any detail, but by end year I can see what happened in overview. My necessity spending has actually gone down as I got more efficient with my lifestyle costs. Some of my luxury spending went up, but overall it's basically flat.

I have no plans to increase spending due to inflation.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 12:31:00 AM »
My budget is 31k excluding travel and I have no plans to change it. I cut back on some things such as phone and cable which helped make up for other items increasing.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 06:48:56 AM »
DH and I retired six months ago so we aren't as experienced as the other responders on this thread.  Although I've lived on an academic calendar (July to June) for many years, I want to move back to a yearly calendar. I think six months is too soon to give ourselves a raise, so we'll wait another year.

I doubt we'll need a raise anytime soon, but I plan to track what it would be whether we spend it or not. I don't feel comfortable winging it this early in the game. I don't want to run out of money, and I sure as hell don't want to go back to work. On the flip side of that, I tend to be too frugal sometimes. I'm ok with that for me, but I'm not ok making my husband do without when we have plenty of money. Tracking and at least knowing where we are re. the 4% rule allows me to balance the two sides.

Maybe someday I'll feel as cavalier as the other responders, but today is not that day.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 12:49:02 PM »
DH and I retired six months ago so we aren't as experienced as the other responders on this thread.  Although I've lived on an academic calendar (July to June) for many years, I want to move back to a yearly calendar. I think six months is too soon to give ourselves a raise, so we'll wait another year.

I doubt we'll need a raise anytime soon, but I plan to track what it would be whether we spend it or not. I don't feel comfortable winging it this early in the game. I don't want to run out of money, and I sure as hell don't want to go back to work. On the flip side of that, I tend to be too frugal sometimes. I'm ok with that for me, but I'm not ok making my husband do without when we have plenty of money. Tracking and at least knowing where we are re. the 4% rule allows me to balance the two sides.

Maybe someday I'll feel as cavalier as the other responders, but today is not that day.

As DW and I are both naturally frugal, keeping close track of spending and increasing our 'budget' each year allows us to feel comfortable spending a little more sometimes. Recently, DW has been having some neck and shoulder pain, but she was really reluctant to spend $45/week to go to a chiropractor or $75/week to go for a massage, because it seemed "too expensive". Only after I showed DW that our typical monthly spending is a couple thousand dollars under our SWR, based on the 4% 'rule', did she agree to spend the money to start going for weekly visits to a chiropractor and massage therapist.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 01:03:28 PM »
15%.

Not because I'm buying anything more than before, but that's what inflation I'm seeing on my expenses - everything is going up in price!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 01:15:10 PM »
American, are there items where you can reduce the cost? For instance my son found me a T-Mobile plan for 15 flat fee with the same service I was paying Att 54/month for.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 02:39:12 PM »
I don't budget, just track.  No plans for extra spending beyond what is required to live or fix things that break.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2022, 03:26:33 PM »

I feel the same way. It is my goal to stick to the 4% rule in my first year of FIRE to provide proof of concept and reassure myself that I don't have to work unless I want to.  I really don't know what to do as far as raises after that, but I can be flexible about adding/cutting things in the budget or working part time (after I've had a break) depending on how the market behaves in the first few years and how comfortable we continue to be at this level of spend.  I can't do a "die with zero" approach because my kids are likely to have ongoing support needs into adulthood, but I also see no need to keep grinding away trying to achieve a sub-4% WR when I'm in a field where it's easy to find well-paying part time work.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2022, 04:07:06 PM »
From our 2021 Tracking Sheet, we were in the red for groceries and utilities for what comes down to ~$30 per month (one was 10, other other 20).  So we increased the respective budgets accordingly.  Overall increase of $360, or about 1%.  We considered dropping some categories that were running well in the black, but decided to just allow those to grow as sinking funds and continue to carry forward. 

Our largest increase was vehicle repair.  We had a lot of repairs this year, well over estimated budget.  Instead of just declaring them one offs (mostly from hitting pot holes, busting tires, rims, and other parts), we decided to increase the repair fund since the vehicles are all now a year older.  If we don't use it, it will rollover to next year.  1.6% increase over 2021.

So total increase about 2.5%. 

So yes, we are increasing our FIRE spending for 2022, but it is based on actual spending history.

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2022, 10:13:13 AM »
I started putting $52k in the checking account and see how it goes, and it worked OK, we didn't run out before the end of the year.   So that's about what I did for the last 3  years. However, I have had a child with an expensive tuition and another that I have been funding his Roth each year, so I had to find money to fund those outside my initial checking deposit. Thankfully we made the last of $30k per semester tuition payments at the end of last year! I will probably still fund the other kids Roth, but I know I better hurry.
 I don't expect to increase my spending for lifestyle and my kid costs have dropped significantly. Some might say I can't separate the two, but I do.

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2022, 01:19:21 AM »
I'm increasing the budget for eating out because my wife likes to eat out. That is how I budget. If we want to spend more we spend more and adjust the tracker. If I feel there is a problem I may adjust spending down but I haven't done that yet.

So I track spending and assets (including income from assets).

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2022, 07:38:38 PM »
We do not have a budget for our spending, we have caps for our spending. The first one is $100,000, the second one is $150,000, and the last one that we do not plan to exceed is $200,000.

In 2021, we spent about slightly more than $71,000. But we do hope to spend more this year for more travels and entertainments, hopefully reach $100,000.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2022, 08:00:47 PM »
I started putting $52k in the checking account and see how it goes, and it worked OK, we didn't run out before the end of the year. 

This is what we do. We put X/4 in the checking account each quarter.

We kept the 2022 budget the same as 2021, inflation be damned.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2022, 08:49:53 PM »
The point of fire is to not think about this shit. I didn't budget before I don't budget now. Currently we've spent almost 9k a month to start the year and have a stash that support 80k at 4%. I don't care bc of lots of alternative income streams. Wouldn't care even if that weren't the case either bc the high spend is due to lumpy costs. But again if you fire and money worries you to the level inflation is a problem you should rethink things a bit.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2022, 06:13:43 PM »
My budget is really just tracking spending. I suppose it's a budget because if I can see we are spending too much on something we can adjust.

That's a pretty good description of my situation. Unfortunately costs for things I can't practically adjust for have been going up: health insurance and property taxes in particular. I've seen grocery costs going up and we are partially adjusting for that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!