Author Topic: How do you keep your "sense of purpose" post FIRE  (Read 14878 times)

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
Re: How do you keep your "sense of purpose" post FIRE
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2019, 06:51:43 PM »

- SNIP -

I don’t think you’re necessarily wrong, but I’m not sure you’re taking love/passion into account? Like, if I won the lottery, I’d quit my job. But only mostly. Because the core of my job is working intensively with authors, and I’d honestly do it for free - on certain passion projects and on my own schedule, for sure, with the annoying bits cut out. I don’t think I’ll ever stop deeply engaging with books, and helping authors make them better gives me joy, and yes, a sense of purpose that’s different from my other, non-work feelings of purpose.

So while I’m sure it isn’t true in every case, it seems easily possible to me that a contractor or musician might not be in a rut, but genuinely loving aspects of what they do in a way that should perhaps be not pitied but celebrated.

I think you are right.  They have found their sense of purpose and aren't giving it up.  The title of this is How do you keep your sense of purpose post FIRE?  I guess for some of us we've just worked.  It hasn't been a labor of love.  It's been a labor of survival.  I guess there could be a "sense of purpose" after FIRE that would make like ever more satisfying.

TheSinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2019, 03:49:16 AM »
For me, it's hard losing a sense of mastery/competence. Solving problems gives a sense of accomplishment.
The social aspect is quite hard, as I got along well with my colleagues...

2 months since early retirement. I'm struggling a bit to be honest.
I'm single, mid 30s. Most of my friends are very career driven so it's hard to relate for them, starting to feel a bit isolated... Feeling a bit bored, spending too much time on my computer (default activity for me)... I'm putting pressure on myself as well to do "stuff", but end up procrastinating because I don't have a great idea on what to do...

I listened to these 2 podcasts by MadFientists which resonated with me:
https://www.madfientist.com/cal-newport-interview/ -> talks about the sense of mastery
https://www.madfientist.com/tony-interview/ -> he went back to work half-time

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2019, 07:31:48 AM »
For me, it's hard losing a sense of mastery/competence. Solving problems gives a sense of accomplishment.
The social aspect is quite hard, as I got along well with my colleagues...

2 months since early retirement. I'm struggling a bit to be honest.
I'm single, mid 30s. Most of my friends are very career driven so it's hard to relate for them, starting to feel a bit isolated... Feeling a bit bored, spending too much time on my computer (default activity for me)... I'm putting pressure on myself as well to do "stuff", but end up procrastinating because I don't have a great idea on what to do...

I listened to these 2 podcasts by MadFientists which resonated with me:
https://www.madfientist.com/cal-newport-interview/ -> talks about the sense of mastery
https://www.madfientist.com/tony-interview/ -> he went back to work half-time

In your case, you can go back too work.  The stress should be off since it is optional.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2019, 08:02:07 AM »

- SNIP -

I don’t think you’re necessarily wrong, but I’m not sure you’re taking love/passion into account? Like, if I won the lottery, I’d quit my job. But only mostly. Because the core of my job is working intensively with authors, and I’d honestly do it for free - on certain passion projects and on my own schedule, for sure, with the annoying bits cut out. I don’t think I’ll ever stop deeply engaging with books, and helping authors make them better gives me joy, and yes, a sense of purpose that’s different from my other, non-work feelings of purpose.

So while I’m sure it isn’t true in every case, it seems easily possible to me that a contractor or musician might not be in a rut, but genuinely loving aspects of what they do in a way that should perhaps be not pitied but celebrated.

I think you are right.  They have found their sense of purpose and aren't giving it up.  The title of this is How do you keep your sense of purpose post FIRE?  I guess for some of us we've just worked.  It hasn't been a labor of love.  It's been a labor of survival.  I guess there could be a "sense of purpose" after FIRE that would make like ever more satisfying.
What I craved in reaching for FIRE was control of my own life. Six years in, it was worth all the effort. I am busy, happy and fulfilled most of the time. While it's not perfect, it is incredibly more fulfilling than work ever was. I love it!

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »

What I craved in reaching for FIRE was control of my own life. Six years in, it was worth all the effort. I am busy, happy and fulfilled most of the time. While it's not perfect, it is incredibly more fulfilling than work ever was. I love it!

I'm sure it will never be perfect.  Maybe Shinyhorse needs more thn 2 months to adjust.  Nice problem to be in.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!