Author Topic: How Did You Celebrate Your Transition to Retirement?  (Read 16021 times)

Metta

• Pencil Stache
How Did You Celebrate Your Transition to Retirement?
« on: March 20, 2015, 07:20:19 AM »
I'm wondering how you marked the transition from working for a living to simply living. Did you go on a big trip? Have a party? Celebrate with a great meal and a bottle of good wine? Did you mark it at all with something special?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
Re: How Did You Celebrate Your Transition to Retirement?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
Yes, a very expensive bottle of wine (or two) was involved. That was a memorable Friday night. It was actually the genesis our Red Wine Friday tradition...which reminds me, gotta go grab a bottle (or two).

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »
I went on a six week video game bender.  I must have put on 10 pounds from junk food and soda. lol.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 02:44:30 PM »
I went on a six week video game bender.  I must have put on 10 pounds from junk food and soda. lol.

Wow!  6 weeks! 

I was thinking about a party, but I think that our friends might take it the wrong way.  I think I am going to take a little vacation instead!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »
Didn't drive the 80 mile one way commute and cashed the "Never darken our doorstep again check"...:)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 11:04:02 PM »
I stopped going to work.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 12:09:03 AM »

I stopped going to work.

lol. I laughed. Good choice.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Steveo57

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 08:20:41 AM »
My transition started with a bang! I left work on my last day and headed up to the Berkshires for a week of relaxation. On the way there a bear ran out in front of me on the Mass turnpike and I hit it. Spent a few hours dealing with that and finally made it to the place we were staying at. That evening while enjoying an adult beverage on the balcony the thought that kept going through my mind was what the hell have I done now? A few days later we were driving the bear damaged car home to swap it for our other car and we just missed a tornado that had cut a path right across the highway we were on. Other than that it was an uneventful an enjoyable transition:)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »
I can definitely relate to the "OMG, what have I done" feeling..:)

k290

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 01:25:01 PM »
I love these threads and hearing about people's first days of FIRE.The absolute bliss and excitement I had when simply quitting one very stressful job (in order to take up a less stressful one) was one of the most memorable days of my life.  That is probably nothing compared to what Day 0 of FIRE will feel like.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »
Walking out the door of your job for the last time is the ultimate celebration of financial independence. A planned event would have felt quite anticlimactic.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 06:03:17 PM »
As a teacher I always had summers off, so it didn't really hit until the morning I would have been back at school.  I sat on the back deck with my coffee and thought "Back at school people are doing.....".  After the second coffee it was "they are doing .... and I am sitting here in the sun enjoying my second cup of coffee, with no commute, no stress.  Maybe at some point I will cook breakfast, but no rush".  It felt good.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 07:10:50 PM »
I slept until 8am, then DH (already retired) and I rode our bikes to breakfast and the library.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 06:27:17 AM »
I’m assembling my ideas for my retirement celebration from your experiences here.

I absolutely need to put on my checklist the following:
  • Wine
  • Cake
  • Sleep late
  • Stop commuting, avoid going to work, and don’t forget to get the final check.
  • Avoid bears (and tornados), but not to the extent of avoiding hiking.
Still not sure about traveling. I will have airline retiree travel benefits once I retire so it feels like I should make use of them, but I’m not sure I want to.

It's interesting to me that no one had a big party. Perhaps it seems rude to do when we are retiring sooner than everyone else?

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 06:55:10 AM »
I'm planning on doing the same thing Milton from Office Space did.

Honestly I want to sleep late and then spend as much time outside as possible, just walking around.  I don't know if that qualifies as a celebration, but I'm pretty sure it'll feel terrific.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 08:10:45 AM »
Welcome to the club, Doom.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »
I want to spend the day doing whatever I feel like without feeling like I don't have time for it.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »
Hooplas are expensive.. my buddy rented this fancy club for $2000...  I'm like yeah I'm really doing that.. Not..:)

downtownshuter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
I'm not there yet, but I had a great manager who retired (early) last year and she gave me a nice bottle of champagne. My plan is to drink that when I FIRE, probably with some backstraps. Yumm

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 06:33:58 PM »
I slept a lot. Still do ;-)

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 06:33:26 AM »
My coworkers threw me a potluck party at work.  Also had cake, coffee and tea supplied by the hospital I work for since I had almost 40 years in.  My kids and husband showed up as a surprise.  Usually the retirement parties are just coworkers, sometimes spouses, so it was a big surprise!  I had a great time and it was a lovely sendoff!

Now I am just going to spend one whole day not doing much of anything and then will get on with my plans to get rid of "stuff" that I don't use.

Miss Prim

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »

+1  I've really enjoyed your blog lately. Congrats!

Allen

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »

MY DREAM!  I have a list of all the games I've been meaning to catch up on.  A hose of doritos and I'll be ready.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »
I haven't had time for video games for oh say 15+ years...it would be nice to have time again.

My Own Advisor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Own Advisor
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 07:00:06 PM »
We plan on taking a month-long trip.  Somewhere, place TBD.  Hopefully only 10-15 years away and before age 55.

teacherwithamustache

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 02:42:30 PM »
I haven't had time for video games for oh say 15+ years...it would be nice to have time again.

Was a  top of the line gamer dork in 1997-2002.  Remember picking my college on their ability to network computers and played DOOM until 3AM most nights.  Then I discovered alcohol and girls and did not play as much.  When I got married I took all of my stuff to the PAWN SHOP and have not played any PS3/XBOX games since.  Now with kids I refuse to let them play any games that can not be run on Ipads. 

So yeah my first day of FIRE I am going to Pawn Shops and buying a bunch of game systems and games.  I would think that if it was nice outside I would go outside but there is a lot of rain and heat here in Houston so I will need something to do.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:08 AM »
Thanks, guys, it's incredible to have finally made the leap. 

BTW, I love the video game talk on this thread.  I have a stack of games that I will be slowly making my way through over the coming months, and I'm also working to build up skills in the old arcade Donkey Kong release (using MAME).  So fun!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »
The celebration was internal being that I just felt relieved. From day one i got up and started doing stuff around the house challenging myself to do it all. We are planning our first family vacation this summer in over 16 years.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »

BTW, I love the video game talk on this thread.  I have a stack of games that I will be slowly making my way through over the coming months, and I'm also working to build up skills in the old arcade Donkey Kong release (using MAME).  So fun!

If you haven't seen the documentary King of Kong, you should check it out.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 11:09:46 AM »
I have to say that I'm video gaming FAR LESS than I had anticipated. I'm picking my way through Dragon Age: Inquisition at such a pace that I may not finish it for YEARS. And that's OK.

My FIRE'd life is a busy one. ;)

BBub

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 01:15:15 PM »

Doom - I've also enjoyed your blog immensely.  Congrats man.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
Dude, dude, dude... I go to FunSpot twice a year.  That's the arcade where Billy and Steve went to record their records, in NH near Lake Winnepesaukee.  Incredible place, actually, feels like you're trapped in the 80s while you're there.  And who doesn't love that?

SUCH a good documentary, though.  Not 100% accurate, there was some messing around with the truth in order to make a more compelling story, but even so, it's highly entertaining, very well done.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »
Dude, dude, dude... I go to FunSpot twice a year.  That's the arcade where Billy and Steve went to record their records, in NH near Lake Winnepesaukee.  Incredible place, actually, feels like you're trapped in the 80s while you're there.  And who doesn't love that?

SUCH a good documentary, though.  Not 100% accurate, there was some messing around with the truth in order to make a more compelling story, but even so, it's highly entertaining, very well done.

Hahaha awesome!  I figured that if anyone had seen it, you had.  But I had to throw it out there on the off chance.  :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 04:17:33 PM »
So... anyone mind if I brag about my dad's ER party?

He retired from his job at age 55. He had worked about 30 years for the city as an engineer. He quit in part because he could, but also because his boss, sadly, died of a heart attack, and my dad figured that it's better to get out while you still can.

Anyways, I digress.

To celebrate, his staff wanted to throw him a party and give him a watch. My dad informed them that, once he was "off the clock", he planned on never wearing a watch again... so they tried to come up with something new. Hey, how about a custom bicycle? My dad was ALL OVER that idea, and now has a pretty schmany road bike that he loves. Really wonderful gift from his staff, and the party (or "roast" - ha!) involved a huge turnout and lots of good food.

So a party + free bike, I think that's a pretty epic way to leave the workforce. My dad now bikes and woodworks and farms. He's pretty happy. I'm super proud of him. He's never even been on MMM! Nevertheless, a good example for us all, I think!

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 06:50:56 PM »
I didn't do much when I retired except recover from work.

To keep myself amused until DW retires, I've just recently - like last week - taken up the guitar. It wasn't very frugal, but I like my new Strat, and 80 watt amp.

Haven't touched a guitar since I was 15, so it's like starting from scratch. At least we now have the internet and YouTube to assist.

Learning songs is a good memory workout, now just need to get those fingers toughened up!

Al

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
Here's a thought for those still planning their exit: If I was doing it again, I might consider making the last day a Tuesday or Wednesday instead of on a Friday, like I did. In a way, Friday just felt like the start of a normal weekend with the next couple of days off instead of the start of a 40-year vacation. That is, it was a little more anti-climactic. The next Monday was awesome not having to go to work, but I think it would be even cooler to have the very next day be a day that would have been full of work drudgery instead of a day off like everyone else.

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2015, 02:41:52 PM »
Like a true mustachian!  My fellow workers had a retirement party for me at work.  It was a potluck and they gave me some nice presents!  My daughter asked it I wanted to go out to a nice restaurant for a retirement dinner and I said no it will be too expensive and that my work party was fine for me.  My son, daughter and husband showed up for the potluck and surprised me!  So we all ate for free!  Worked for me!

Miss Prim

sequim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2015, 06:57:36 PM »
My last day is next Friday but we are celebrating Thursday since my husband is already not working, by going to Canlis, a very iconic, well known restaurant in Seattle.  We both love good food and have wanted to see what it was like so yes, a big splurge.  Sometimes you can't be mustachian but have to go with the gusto.  We are frugal in many ways but we both feel a good restaurant experience involving fantastic food and outstanding service is worth the money.

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2015, 07:28:37 AM »
We bought a second home in AZ to get the hell out of Dodge for the winters!  Just spent our 5th year out west, and are loving it more every year!  Eventually we'll make the jump to full-time in AZ, but for now - we are between the two.   Life is so damn good! :-)