Author Topic: Has anyone taken on any environmental projects post FIRE?  (Read 3434 times)

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
Has anyone taken on any environmental projects post FIRE?
« on: June 16, 2016, 04:23:11 PM »
I saw a project that isn't a huge time commitment for anyone who is interested.

Apparently the monarch butterfly populations are in decline because they only lay their eggs on a certain type of plant: the milkweed.  So if you have a garden, consider adding some milkweed.

More info is here:  http://monarchjointventure.org/images/uploads/documents/GardeningforMonarchs.pdf

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Has anyone taken on any environmental projects post FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:02:36 AM »
I saw a project that isn't a huge time commitment for anyone who is interested.

Apparently the monarch butterfly populations are in decline because they only lay their eggs on a certain type of plant: the milkweed.  So if you have a garden, consider adding some milkweed.

More info is here:  http://monarchjointventure.org/images/uploads/documents/GardeningforMonarchs.pdf

I was amazed when I  first heard about the Monarch and its long migration to Mexico a couple of years after I came to the US.

I was sad to hear of  the drop in the Monarch population due to loss of habitats (and also the overuse of insecticides).

Thank you. What a great idea.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:12:49 PM »
Our garden had some last year but the heat took them to task (but we did host some Monarchs and Empires). When we redo the garden this fall, we'll definitely plant more.

wynr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:39:30 PM »
A half day into retirement and I got that one done! Only three milkweed plants, but it is better than last year when they all died.

wynr

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 06:14:28 PM »
I tried this once, but apparently you can't just set it up and let it go.

I also planted a bunch of Arbor Day Foundation trees.  All but one died.

I tend to look after them for a little while, then kind of lose interest, and they die.

Clearly, I'm not much of a gardener. :)

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »
Milkweed grows up everywhere on my property as we have 4 plus acres, but only mow about an acre.  So, butterflies welcome here!

Miss Prim

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 07:02:10 PM »
Cheers everyone! 
This has been a great response.

In case you're interested I found a very cool site where they track the sightings of the first monarchs in various parts of the continent.  I see on the map that the monarchs are up in Manitoba already.

The map is at:  http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/monarch.html

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 01:53:18 AM »
I guess they are a pest species here (Australia), as they were imported in 1871, have probably replaced a native butterfly, and make birds violently sick. They are as common as muck. Maybe I should start a Monarch Butterfly eradication program.

And I always thought they were native!

scrubbyfish

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 02:59:46 AM »
Yep, some campers ripped out a bunch of milkweed for no reason :(     So we planted a bunch more where the campers can't get at it. Go, butterflies!!!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 03:45:47 AM »
I guess they are a pest species here (Australia), as they were imported in 1871, have probably replaced a native butterfly, and make birds violently sick. They are as common as muck. Maybe I should start a Monarch Butterfly eradication program.

oh yes, they're a pest. Makes then great for teaching kids, though. I think the milkweed itself is a bigger problem since they're dependant on it.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 12:50:49 PM »

oh yes, they're a pest. Makes then great for teaching kids, though. I think the milkweed itself is a bigger problem since they're dependant on it.
From the web site, I think they are not dependent on milkweed in Australia. In fact, I recall monarch caterpillars on oleanders or something like that in our front yard in Queensland when I was a kid - definitely no milkweed there.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!