General Discussion > Post-FIRE

Has anyone FIREd with less than 1,000,000 in net worth?

(1/7) > >>

Gretamom:
Here's the situation: My hubby and I are both 41 and planned on retiring (for the most part) at the end of 2018 with $1,000,000 in net worth. Even with 1,000,000 we are a little worried just because at that time we would have a 16, 12, and 11 year old at home. However, recently we have been feeling extremely unhappy and uncomfortable at one of our main jobs. This job is further complicated by the fact that family are involved. We would like to instead drop our main job (the one that is making us unhappy) in December 2017 and continue to pursue other interests which include hospital work and our property management / rental business. We would have a net worth of $800,000 at that time and it would continue to increase our net worth every month, just not as fast.

I'm thinking it's not worth the mental stress and abuse I feel from other family members to stick it out for another 18 months even though we would make about an extra $100,000. What do you all think?

I can make the numbers work, I just don't know what I'm so worried about! I guess the unknown? Unexpected costs?

daverobev:
https://www.amazon.com/Early-Retirement-Extreme-Philosophical-Independence/dp/145360121X/

Yes, lots of people. The biggest issue you Americans have is healthcare.

$40k is a lot of money.

thunderball:
I haven't but I would!

2Birds1Stone:
You must be really new around here.....yes....thousands (if not many many more) of people have quit work before amassing $1M+

It doesn't sound like you are FIREing anyway, just scaling back income.

Gretamom:

--- Quote from: daverobev on July 20, 2017, 06:08:46 PM ---https://www.amazon.com/Early-Retirement-Extreme-Philosophical-Independence/dp/145360121X/

Yes, lots of people. The biggest issue you Americans have is healthcare.

$40k is a lot of money.

--- End quote ---

I do worry about healthcare but the other job I have at the hospital takes care of that with minimal cost to me & I only have to work 16 hours a week to keep the insurance. In addition, my hubby is also at the hospital and works 20 hours a week and so one of us could quit entirely and we would still have healthcare (there is no extra healthcare benefit to both of us getting healthcare there, only monetary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version