Author Topic: Hardly sleeping after quitting work!?  (Read 7728 times)

nancy33

• Stubble
Hardly sleeping after quitting work!?
« on: August 12, 2022, 04:38:04 AM »
I am 2 weeks out from retiring and I hardly sleep! I seem to require only about 5 hours of sleep now? I wonder is it because working and studying all of these years took so much of my energy? Anybody else experience this when you retire? There is no pressure to be on any sleep schedule now because I can always nap?  Also I am feeling very relaxed. Amazing.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Hardly sleeping after quitting work!?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 04:40:56 AM »
It takes a lot longer for your body to adjust to a major change than 2 weeks.

That said, it's entirely possible that your body only needs 5 hours. The research on sleep is deeply flawed and fundamentally confounded and we actually have no clue how much time people need to sleep. Source: I'm trained in sleep medicine.

Learn to listen to your body. That's one of the major benefits of not having your time controlled externally.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 09:00:04 AM »
I would love for you to come back and update this post in a month and 6 months and see how things play out.  In the meantime, "listen to your body" is rarely bad advice so I wouldn't get overly hung up on the trustworthiness of what your body is telling you right now. 

To answer your question, I didn't experience that when I FIREd, but I also was sleeping more than 5 hours before I quit, and I sleep about the same now.  I actually would like to sleep more, but having a DH that still works and loves to get up bright and early to do so, plus the fact that we harbor demons in our house (in the form of cats) means my body still doesn't get to dictate my sleep schedule.

Just to be clear, when you say 5 hours, that's how much you sleep in a 24 hour period *including* the naps? 

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 09:14:10 AM »
Few simple things to try:

When sun is up in the morning make sure you go out and get some sunlight, may be go for a walk.

When sun sets, dim all your lights and reduce device usage.

Make sure you get some exercise.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 02:19:23 PM »
Few simple things to try:

When sun is up in the morning make sure you go out and get some sunlight, may be go for a walk.

When sun sets, dim all your lights and reduce device usage.

Make sure you get some exercise.

OP may not need more sleep at this point. It all depend on whether or not they feel rested.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 03:00:05 AM »
I am 2 weeks out from retiring and I hardly sleep! I seem to require only about 5 hours of sleep now? I wonder is it because working and studying all of these years took so much of my energy? Anybody else experience this when you retire? There is no pressure to be on any sleep schedule now because I can always nap?  Also I am feeling very relaxed. Amazing.

There was such a feeling of lightness for the first few weeks after I retired and I slept only a few hours. Eventually, after a few months, I returned to my normal sleep schedule but it felt unreal not to have to work every day.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »
Some people do require less sleep, maybe you are one of them, but you wont know for a while.  Right now, you might just be high on life :D.

I am not someone that requires less sleep.  I always knew I required more sleep so through out life tried to give myself more than 8 hours.  I just built it into my life, college through working.  Now that I am retired, I still get over 8.  I'm okay with less, but I seem to accumulate debt that needs to be paid down the line and I am not as sharp for as long.  I am also a night sleeper.  I only nap if I haven't gotten enough sleep by a significant amount or had to out put an enormous amount of energy over multiple days with a more "normal" (6-8 hour) sleep schedule.  I manage to avoid this most of the time.

Loren

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 07:06:49 PM »
What i learned when I stopped having to punch a figurative clock was that my body doesn't naturally want a 24 hour schedule.  I went through a period where I had no job, my spouse was deployed so I lived alone, and I was a new place and thus had no friends and no real social activities or other scheduled events.  So I could wake and sleep pretty much as I pleased.  I soon settled into a schedule where I'd sleep for 12 or even 14 hours, then be comfortably awake for 20+.  I slept and woke and slept again whenever I felt tired, or woke and felt done sleeping.  I don't think I slept more, and I'm nearly certain I didn't sleep less.  Sadly, this type of pattern isn't sustainable if one wants to regularly interact with other humans or have any kind of schedule since some days I might sleep through most of the daytime hours and be awake for the night time, and the hours I was awake were constantly shifting so I couldn't predict what time on Thursday four days from now I might be awake, if I continued to just sleep and wake as my body craved.  But it was perhaps the best I've ever felt, physically, in my life.  It also helped me to only eat when truly hungry, because my mind didn't aim to fit meals into a schedule, and just as I did with the sleep, I simply ate when i was hungry.  Being feral was an incredibly healthy lifestyle for me!

I have never been able to nap.  My body takes a long time to fall asleep, so napping is somewhat pointless as, if I lay down for half an hour, I'm maybe just dozing off, or not even that.  This is true even when I'm exhausted.  So I think it makes sense that I'm better off sleeping for longer periods of time.  That "wind down" process buys me more sleep per instance, if that makes sense. 

Anyway, no I didn't find that ending regular work meant I needed less sleep.  I did learn about my body's preferences and what worked best, but I also learned that this ideal schedule was anything but ideal in the context of the real world. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 07:14:34 PM »
What i learned when I stopped having to punch a figurative clock was that my body doesn't naturally want a 24 hour schedule.  I went through a period where I had no job, my spouse was deployed so I lived alone, and I was a new place and thus had no friends and no real social activities or other scheduled events.  So I could wake and sleep pretty much as I pleased.  I soon settled into a schedule where I'd sleep for 12 or even 14 hours, then be comfortably awake for 20+.  I slept and woke and slept again whenever I felt tired, or woke and felt done sleeping.  I don't think I slept more, and I'm nearly certain I didn't sleep less.  Sadly, this type of pattern isn't sustainable if one wants to regularly interact with other humans or have any kind of schedule since some days I might sleep through most of the daytime hours and be awake for the night time, and the hours I was awake were constantly shifting so I couldn't predict what time on Thursday four days from now I might be awake, if I continued to just sleep and wake as my body craved.  But it was perhaps the best I've ever felt, physically, in my life.  It also helped me to only eat when truly hungry, because my mind didn't aim to fit meals into a schedule, and just as I did with the sleep, I simply ate when i was hungry.  Being feral was an incredibly healthy lifestyle for me!

I have never been able to nap.  My body takes a long time to fall asleep, so napping is somewhat pointless as, if I lay down for half an hour, I'm maybe just dozing off, or not even that.  This is true even when I'm exhausted.  So I think it makes sense that I'm better off sleeping for longer periods of time.  That "wind down" process buys me more sleep per instance, if that makes sense. 

Anyway, no I didn't find that ending regular work meant I needed less sleep.  I did learn about my body's preferences and what worked best, but I also learned that this ideal schedule was anything but ideal in the context of the real world.

I relate to this on a visceral level.

I too don't have a 24hr circadian rhythm, and can sometimes be up for great lengths and sometimes sleep 12+hrs. It is, indeed, annoying when trying to be a normal human.

I also don't nap, and find it unbelievably weird that other people do. If I fall asleep during the day, it's not a nap, it's a crisis and my body is too exhausted to function. DH knows, if I'm asleep during the day, something is very, very wrong.

Meanwhile he naps daily. He can lose a few hours on any given day to napping. I thought there must be something terribly wrong with him and sent him for a sleep test.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 07:34:07 PM »

What a wild experiment you had the chance to do!  I'm so curious - did the sunlight/dark patterns just have no discernible effect on you?  Or maybe you were somehow not really exposed to the outside light patterns?  Or maybe living near one of the poles at the time?

I just am so effected by dark and light this is hard for me to comprehend.  On days where it's foggy/overcast vs. sunny I'm like a different person, so I can't even imagine being awake for many consecutive dark hours (as is obvious I have never lived or even traveled to the poles in the dark half of the year).

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 08:06:30 PM »

What a wild experiment you had the chance to do!  I'm so curious - did the sunlight/dark patterns just have no discernible effect on you?  Or maybe you were somehow not really exposed to the outside light patterns?  Or maybe living near one of the poles at the time?

I just am so effected by dark and light this is hard for me to comprehend.  On days where it's foggy/overcast vs. sunny I'm like a different person, so I can't even imagine being awake for many consecutive dark hours (as is obvious I have never lived or even traveled to the poles in the dark half of the year).

I'm a bit of the Princess and the Pea when it comes to sleeping. I need optimal conditions, or I can't sleep.  So I have black out curtains and therefore the sunlight had no effect on my sleeping.  On the other end of the spectrum, the dark didn't seem to make me sleepy, though I generally wasn't sitting in a dark room with no tv, or reading light or computer, or other source of light.  If I had been sitting in a truly dark room, I don't know if that would have triggered sleepiness.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 06:59:15 PM »

This sounds a bit like my husband.  When I travel and he stays home his sleep pattern goes feral since he has no time obligations.  He will sleep for very long periods of time, then wakes and does what ever is roughly time appropriate (no power tools late at night).  Then when he gets tired he sleeps.  Some times its for a few hours, some times its for most of a day.  Usually he ends up rotating to more nocturnal, though if the sun is up, he goes outside to work on his art, so it isn't a lack of seeing the sun. 

He does nap though, and if he is laying down, especially if it is dark-ish, his body will start to go into sleep mode.  If he is actually tired, it takes him less than a minute to fall asleep. 

I'm far more picky.  I need dark and quiet.  I also need some time.  The sun going down also helps. 

Loren

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 01:07:53 AM »
This happened to me but under different circumstances, I’m not retired. Basically, during a holiday in the very north during summer when it’s continuously light, I slept based on how my body felt and when. I would sleep around 4-5 hours after which I was wide awake and then another 3 hours about 12 hours later. Always feeling rested and excited about the day. All without black out curtains or such so that my body slept, so to speak, with the light. I felt so incredibly rested the few weeks. But then again, I didn’t have any obligations or responsibilities, and I was on vacation. I wish you can continue to enjoy such a rhythm and also feel rested.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 01:19:24 AM »
This happened to me but under different circumstances, I’m not retired. Basically, during a holiday in the very north during summer when it’s continuously light, I slept based on how my body felt and when. I would sleep around 4-5 hours after which I was wide awake and then another 3 hours about 12 hours later. Always feeling rested and excited about the day. All without black out curtains or such so that my body slept, so to speak, with the light. I felt so incredibly rested the few weeks. But then again, I didn’t have any obligations or responsibilities, and I was on vacation. I wish you can continue to enjoy such a rhythm and also feel rested.
OMG, that sounds delicious.

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 02:07:05 AM »
Update one month later. I am still not sleeping much. I have way more energy and almost feeling like I did in my early 20’s. I am napping if needed as well. I do have to get up around 6:45 am during the week to drive my youngest kid to school now. I am taking an art class once a week, water aerobics twice a week, zumba and a groove dance class. I have taken bird walk classes and now I am going to do a bat walk class at night!  I am very busy I do not know how I was running a business self employed and raising my kids etc before FIRE.

tennisray

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 05:35:37 AM »

That said, it's entirely possible that your body only needs 5 hours. The research on sleep is deeply flawed and fundamentally confounded and we actually have no clue how much time people need to sleep. Source: I'm trained in sleep medicine.

Learn to listen to your body. That's one of the major benefits of not having your time controlled externally.

I used to sleep a good 7.5hr/night soundly.  As I aged into my late 30's, I started to sleep only about 5 hours/night (now in my late 40s).  I was reading all these articles about how "8 hrs" of sleep is just as important as diet and exercise.  It scared me that something was really wrong with me.  But I never felt tired from the "lack" of sleep.  I exercise a lot and it didn't appear to change my energy level.  I was desperate so I tried ambien, trazadone, valium.  Nothing seems to work.  But then I listened to some experts in the field that said what you wrote...nobody really knows.  It helped me just accept where I am with sleep and it's reduced my anxiety about it.  When I get up, if I feel ok, I'll just start my day, even if it is 3am.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2022, 06:12:33 AM »

I used to sleep a good 7.5hr/night soundly.  As I aged into my late 30's, I started to sleep only about 5 hours/night (now in my late 40s).  I was reading all these articles about how "8 hrs" of sleep is just as important as diet and exercise.  It scared me that something was really wrong with me.  But I never felt tired from the "lack" of sleep.  I exercise a lot and it didn't appear to change my energy level.  I was desperate so I tried ambien, trazadone, valium.  Nothing seems to work.  But then I listened to some experts in the field that said what you wrote...nobody really knows.  It helped me just accept where I am with sleep and it's reduced my anxiety about it.  When I get up, if I feel ok, I'll just start my day, even if it is 3am.

Yeah...health articles are terrible.

The thing with sleep research that scientists now understand is that it's impossible to separate waking research subjects from the stress of waking research subjects.

That famous deep sleep experiment where it was reported that rats died fairly quickly if they were prevented from getting deep sleep. Did they die because of the lack of sleep, or did they die from the extreme stress of being pushed into cold water in their sleep multiple times a night?

It wasn't until stress was respected as something that can have major physiological impacts were we even able to see that literally all sleep research is confounded and the existing conclusions cannot be supported.

But that's not a well disseminated fact within the clinical world. Most schools are still teaching the 8hr requirement based on good science interpreted poorly.

The tentative generalizations are that if your system is stressed it often needs more sleep. This might be a contributing factor to why older people sleep so much less, retirees who volunteer for sleep research may have a lot less stress. That's a very, very tenuous and rough hypothesis, just to illustrate how all sleep research can be re-evaluated through the stress lens.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 08:53:43 AM »
Update one month later. I am still not sleeping much. I have way more energy and almost feeling like I did in my early 20’s. I am napping if needed as well. I do have to get up around 6:45 am during the week to drive my youngest kid to school now. I am taking an art class once a week, water aerobics twice a week, zumba and a groove dance class. I have taken bird walk classes and now I am going to do a bat walk class at night!  I am very busy I do not know how I was running a business self employed and raising my kids etc before FIRE.

How wonderful to almost feel like you are in your 20s again!

The last sentence has to be one of the most common experiences of FIRE.  Whether it's sleeping more or a myriad of other things, it really shows how life with a western-traditional job is so limiting.  Of course, everyone has to make choices and you can't have everything, but even going "back to work" at all of about 15 hours per week lately for me, for some short-term passion projects has shown me just how many tradeoffs jobs require.

Also, I had posted above that I still don't get as much sleep as I'd like in FIRE given my household composition, but last week while backpacking some environmental conditions let me sleep very little for most of 3 nights and I suddenly re-learned what it really means to not be getting enough sleep.  Who knows what it means to our bodies to be on the margins/edges and feel like you'd want/need another half hour or hour per night, but I'm suddenly very grateful for the sleep I am able to get because recovering from that is rough.  Three days later and I'm still not back to normal!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 10:23:45 AM »
Allie Ward had a very interesting double episode of the Ologies podcast on sleep research for anyone who's interested. I only listend to it a few months ago but it's a few years old. Still very interesting though.

Somnology (SLEEP) with Dr. W. Chris Winter

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 10:37:03 AM »
I feel like sleep is a problem when you want to get more of it but are unable to . . . so you stumble through the days like a zombie hoping that at some point you'll be able to feel anything beyond dissatisfaction and an inability to concentrate.

If you're popping out of bed energized and ready to live life to it's fullest . . . who cares how many total hours you're sleeping?  You've won!

NWOutlier

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 10:39:14 AM »
now you get to spend your energy on you, your family, gardening, volunteering, anything you choose - and none of what I listed.  but yea, your body has energy to spare now.  enjoy :)

Steve (NWOutlier)

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2022, 08:57:11 AM »
That famous deep sleep experiment where it was reported that rats died fairly quickly if they were prevented from getting deep sleep. Did they die because of the lack of sleep, or did they die from the extreme stress of being pushed into cold water in their sleep multiple times a night?
There's actually a genetic disease where people in their 40s or 50s (forgot which), they 100% lose the ability to sleep.  They start having delusions, and then start getting psychotic... and it is 100% fatal in months.  It's called "fatal familial insomnia".  So the answer is already available in humans - a complete lack of sleep is fatal.

The studies in the book "Why We Sleep" were convincing to me.  The latter stages of sleep are deep sleep, which is what is cut short when people don't sleep 7+ hours.  I think short sleep has been correlated with tau & amyloid build up in the brain, and those have been correlated with Alzheimer's, but I don't think anyone has proved the full link from short sleep to Alzheimer's yet.  If you like anecdotal examples, both Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Regan bragged about sleeping very little, and both got Alzheimer's.

There's also studies of immune function in people with insomnia.  When flu vaccines are administered, it doesn't work 100% of the time.  And it turns out the rate of failure is 10x higher in people with insomnia.  Since natural killer cells are produced in deep sleep, it would fit with a lack of deep sleep.

There's also some interviews and talks by Matthew Walker, who wrote "Why We Sleep".

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2022, 02:18:05 PM »
There's actually a genetic disease where people in their 40s or 50s (forgot which), they 100% lose the ability to sleep.  They start having delusions, and then start getting psychotic... and it is 100% fatal in months.  It's called "fatal familial insomnia".  So the answer is already available in humans - a complete lack of sleep is fatal.

The studies in the book "Why We Sleep" were convincing to me.  The latter stages of sleep are deep sleep, which is what is cut short when people don't sleep 7+ hours.  I think short sleep has been correlated with tau & amyloid build up in the brain, and those have been correlated with Alzheimer's, but I don't think anyone has proved the full link from short sleep to Alzheimer's yet.  If you like anecdotal examples, both Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Regan bragged about sleeping very little, and both got Alzheimer's.

There's also studies of immune function in people with insomnia.  When flu vaccines are administered, it doesn't work 100% of the time.  And it turns out the rate of failure is 10x higher in people with insomnia.  Since natural killer cells are produced in deep sleep, it would fit with a lack of deep sleep.

There's also some interviews and talks by Matthew Walker, who wrote "Why We Sleep".

Yes, I've studied the neuroscience of sleep extensively, and then spent several years studying sleep medicine.

The current understanding of almost *all* sleep science is that it's deeply confounded and you cannot separate the cause of lack of sleep from the effect of lack of sleep.

Is sleep necessary? Yes. Why? Who knows. How much is needed? Depends.

People who don't sleep much tend to be very stressed. How on earth are we supposed to separate out the impact of stress when making people sleep less also *causes* stress?

I've read just about every interpretation of sleep research that exists, and I'm inclined to agree with Pinel and Barnes, who are the top textbook authors on neuroscience, and therefore the most respected curators of current knowledge and their take is basically that the current state of the research indicates that we actually know much, much less about sleep than we thought we did 20 years ago.

Most sleep "facts" that are cited as supported by research are not actually very supported now that the research has been revisited with more updated presuppositions. Similar to how most of the old research supporting the benefit of moderate alcohol consumption has been revisited and found to be interpreted wrong.

Data is objective, but how it's interpreted can change dramatically over time with new information, and sleep in one of those disciplines that right now the scientific world is nervously laughing and saying "oops..."

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2022, 03:32:04 PM »

Yes, I've studied the neuroscience of sleep extensively, and then spent several years studying sleep medicine.

The current understanding of almost *all* sleep science is that it's deeply confounded and you cannot separate the cause of lack of sleep from the effect of lack of sleep.

People who don't sleep much tend to be very stressed. How on earth are we supposed to separate out the impact of stress when making people sleep less also *causes* stress?

I've read just about every interpretation of sleep research that exists, and I'm inclined to agree with Pinel and Barnes, who are the top textbook authors on neuroscience, and therefore the most respected curators of current knowledge and their take is basically that the current state of the research indicates that we actually know much, much less about sleep than we thought we did 20 years ago.

Most sleep "facts" that are cited as supported by research are not actually very supported now that the research has been revisited with more updated presuppositions. Similar to how most of the old research supporting the benefit of moderate alcohol consumption has been revisited and found to be interpreted wrong.

Data is objective, but how it's interpreted can change dramatically over time with new information, and sleep in one of those disciplines that right now the scientific world is nervously laughing and saying "oops..."

I don't understand this argument. Please explain this to me like I'm a 5 year old.

It sounds like you are saying that because many things causes a lack of sleep, and also causes many of the things that a lack of sleep is associated with, that we should simply throw out all the studies linking lack of sleep to various negative outcomes because there is only a correlation there and not a confirmed causative relationship?

I don't understand how you can simply rule out lack of sleep as a potential cause though..? I understand that correlation is not the same as causation but it seems like you are implying that a simple correlation means no causation..? Or at least you are implying this enough to say that a lack of sleep isn't something to be concerned with.

Also - my very lay mans understanding of sleep is that it is involved in cleaning out various toxins that are generated during daytime neuronal activity and generally help replenish the cells that support the neurons and neuronal activity. Is this incorrect?

Not trying to start an argument at all, just seeking further explanation as this is a very interesting subject.

Are there any books or studies you would recommend?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2022, 03:57:55 PM »
I don't understand this argument. Please explain this to me like I'm a 5 year old.

It sounds like you are saying that because many things causes a lack of sleep, and also causes many of the things that a lack of sleep is associated with, that we should simply throw out all the studies linking lack of sleep to various negative outcomes because there is only a correlation there and not a confirmed causative relationship?

I don't understand how you can simply rule out lack of sleep as a potential cause though..? I understand that correlation is not the same as causation but it seems like you are implying that a simple correlation means no causation..? Or at least you are implying this enough to say that a lack of sleep isn't something to be concerned with.

The problem is determining if the things that cause lack of sleep (like stress) are the source of the problem or the sleeplessness that go along with them are.  I don't think Malcat's ruling out sleep as a potential cause . . . but it's not possible to say that sleep is the cause of the problems with the research available at this time.

Also - my very lay mans understanding of sleep is that it is involved in cleaning out various toxins that are generated during daytime neuronal activity and generally help replenish the cells that support the neurons and neuronal activity. Is this incorrect?

This is tricky . . . because sleep is really inconsistent.  Two people can sleep for seven hours and get different cell regeneration/toxin clearance outcomes.  Quality of sleep is impacted by the drugs you take during the day (caffeine/booze/even theobromine in chocolate), exercise during the day, stress, emotional state, etc.  It's very tough to do a study that controls for these variables well enough to be meaningful.

goindeep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2022, 04:56:47 PM »

I work from home a lot and notice when I WFH I am usually not tired unless I do a big workout.
When I go into work I am a lot more tired.
My suggestion, hit the gym and then have a glass of wine and you'll sleep like a baby.
Also as you get older I have read that you generally require less sleep. But I think this also likely has to do with older people not getting enough sunlight and exercise.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2022, 05:08:27 PM »

Not trying to start an argument at all, just seeking further explanation as this is a very interesting subject.

Are there any books or studies you would recommend?

I'm not saying the studies should be thrown out, I'm saying that authors who draw conclusions based on studies in pop science books have little to no basis for their conclusions.

If you ever want to study anything about the brain, always start with Barnes and Pinel Biopsychology, which is the go-to intro reference for the current state of science on any neuro topic explained at a level that someone straight out of highschool should be able to understand.

The more you understand about neuroscience, the more you will come to understand that anyone invoking neuroscience to explain complex, practical ideas is 99.9% full of shit.

I've studied this shit for decades, and I'm still learning how much we don't know. 20 years ago I was taught many "facts" about the brain that I only learned this year are now considered total crap.

There isn't a pop science book about how the brain or body works that hasn't made a research scientist want to cry.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 05:29:10 PM »
Thanks @Malcat - I will read through the book.

While my background is in software development I have always been more interested in neuroscience and psychology, for various reasons. I never pursued this years ago because ... not sure what career I can have with bachelors in neuroscience vs software development.

I have considered going back to school for this to work in a research capacity - that would probably be my dream job, but I assume I would need masters level degree at least to work in this capacity.

Sorry getting off topic. Thanks for the book suggestion.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2022, 06:09:19 PM »
Thanks @Malcat - I will read through the book.

While my background is in software development I have always been more interested in neuroscience and psychology, for various reasons. I never pursued this years ago because ... not sure what career I can have with bachelors in neuroscience vs software development.

I have considered going back to school for this to work in a research capacity - that would probably be my dream job, but I assume I would need masters level degree at least to work in this capacity.

Sorry getting off topic. Thanks for the book suggestion.

I can save you a lot of effort and tell you that a career in neuroscience research is very, very unlikely to be a dream job. But yes, enjoy the book, it's very, very good and will give you an enormous amount of insight into the current state of understanding of all neural systems, except for the auditory system. It is infinitely more complicated and requires a far more advanced level of understanding to even understand what makes it different, which just means we understand it substantially less. Lol

Neuroscience research mostly means measuring the tiniest little neurotic details of how we already know something works, and then still having no idea what it means.

I worked in neuroscience research for 6 years including managing a lab. Most neuroscientists work on the most neurotic specialized tiny little sliver of science to the point that we actually can't really understand each other's research.

The first post doc I worked with had an entire career revolving around measuring how neurons in a specific part of the brain responded to increasingly short increments of sound pulses and the various envelopes of wave form used to generate the sound pulses in white noise vs tone. Seriously, 30+ years of ever so slightly altering pulsed sounds and measuring neural voltages in response.

I used to think I wanted to be a neuroscience researcher because so little was known, it seemed like this huge potential to discover new and exciting things. After 6 years I realized that the reason we don't know anything is because we just keep spinning our wheels.

That hasn't changed. 20 years later and we know fewer "facts" than we did about the brain 20 years ago because decades of ground breaking discoveries have mostly just shown us that our previous interpretations were stupid.

20 years ago: here's how the visual system works
Now: uhh...not quite...we've figured out its way more complicated

Same for language, fear, anger, hunger, facial recognition, memory, balance, etc. All things we *thought* we at least knew the basics about.

Oops.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2022, 07:00:13 PM »
@Malcat Oh - well - that makes me feel better about my current career choice and path in life. At least with software development I didn't have to invest much in traditional schooling to have an easy good paying career (technically I have an associates degree but I got this after getting into software development career wise) It was the path of least resistance that led to FIRE as quickly as possible to free up my time to focus on other things. Basically I did this for the money. Mostly I just like learning about things out of pure curiosity, thus my username.

Just reading through the chapters list and book introduction this book sounds like it will be an awesome read. Maybe I should just switch to reading college textbooks - this book has way more detail on everything than the normal books I read. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Maybe this question is answered in the book somewhere. Mostly I wonder about the hard problem of consciosness. i.e. what in the brain makes what we would call 'awareness'? I.e. if we go into a sensory deprivation tank and have a thought what is the field that is registering this thought in. Or if we see a light stimulus that gets converted into electrical impulses in the brain that then triggers some chemical transmitters to be released, what is the part of the brain that is experiencing this?

It seems like we have the ability to be aware of many different stimuli at once, both internal and external, and also have the ability to focus in on certain trains of thought or stimuli. We also have the ability to experience some of the hormonal chemical messages i.e. emotions. Then when we sleep this conscious experience goes away unless we are lucid dreaming or something. With how interconnected the brain is I struggle to understand how one piece can be aware of everything, or even register all the stimulis.

I'm sure this is answered in the book somewhere...I'll keep reading.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2022, 07:30:16 PM »
@Malcat Oh - well - that makes me feel better about my current career choice and path in life. At least with software development I didn't have to invest much in traditional schooling to have an easy good paying career (technically I have an associates degree but I got this after getting into software development career wise) It was the path of least resistance that led to FIRE as quickly as possible to free up my time to focus on other things. Basically I did this for the money. Mostly I just like learning about things out of pure curiosity, thus my username.

Just reading through the chapters list and book introduction this book sounds like it will be an awesome read. Maybe I should just switch to reading college textbooks - this book has way more detail on everything than the normal books I read. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Maybe this question is answered in the book somewhere. Mostly I wonder about the hard problem of consciosness. i.e. what in the brain makes what we would call 'awareness'? I.e. if we go into a sensory deprivation tank and have a thought what is the field that is registering this thought in. Or if we see a light stimulus that gets converted into electrical impulses in the brain that then triggers some chemical transmitters to be released, what is the part of the brain that is experiencing this?

It seems like we have the ability to be aware of many different stimuli at once, both internal and external, and also have the ability to focus in on certain trains of thought or stimuli. We also have the ability to experience some of the hormonal chemical messages i.e. emotions. Then when we sleep this conscious experience goes away unless we are lucid dreaming or something. With how interconnected the brain is I struggle to understand how one piece can be aware of everything, or even register all the stimulis.

I'm sure this is answered in the book somewhere...I'll keep reading.

Fucked if I know.

No, it's not in the book, we seriously have no clue about anything. Even the shit we knew about the structure of neurons and how they connect turned out to be wrong, or at least a very limited picture.

Also, once you wrap your mind around how the vast majority of your brain's function isn't conscious, then you will really start to grasp how complex it is.

Awareness and consciousness are a very small part of the puzzle, btw. Consciousness is a mostly after-the-fact interpretation of what has already happened subconsciously.

Seriously, a core academic understanding of brain science will permanently alter your entire perception of the human experience.

Lol, I used to teach auditory neuroscience. That was fun because that shit will bend your mind sideways.

ETA, after you read basic neuro, get into cognitive science, that's where the actual good stuff is.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 07:50:18 PM by Malcat »

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2022, 08:26:23 PM »
@Malcat - Interesting. So science doesn't yet have all the answers either.

I've experienced a lot of pretty messed up things, from a brain functional perspective, in my life. Mental health issues run in my family. Things have occurred that neuroscience doesn't really seem to recognize can occur. Such as, for example, waking up in a timeless void with no stimuli, having thoughts destroyed followed by the most intense feeling of personal death I have ever had. The feeling of energy running up the spine followed by intense euphoria and a feeling of 'God' everywhere. Various forms of psychosis and out of body experiences...Lucid dreams, etc.

I have always snapped back to reality but the idea that you can lose parts of your inner perception or other parts of your reality that are actually put together by your brain is quite terrifying.

I'm convinced a lot of our reality is heavily processed and edited before we ever experience it, and other inner perceptions are self created projections on our awareness by parts of our brain that can malfunction. Such as, for example, the perception of a personal self, the perception of time and space, perception of a sense of balance, etc.

I wish I had some answers for some of these experiences...So far I have only found answers in some books on spirituality, but frankly, I'm convinced most of these people could be nutcases similar to the religous nutcases.

Anyway - I'm getting way off topic now. I'm just another clueless human being wondering how I even have the capacity to experience existence.

To bring this back on topic - many of the most messed up experiences occurred upon waking in the middle of the night, around 2 am, four hours after going to sleep. Another reason I am so interested in sleep research.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2022, 06:05:54 AM »
@Malcat - Interesting. So science doesn't yet have all the answers either.

I've experienced a lot of pretty messed up things, from a brain functional perspective, in my life. Mental health issues run in my family. Things have occurred that neuroscience doesn't really seem to recognize can occur. Such as, for example, waking up in a timeless void with no stimuli, having thoughts destroyed followed by the most intense feeling of personal death I have ever had. The feeling of energy running up the spine followed by intense euphoria and a feeling of 'God' everywhere. Various forms of psychosis and out of body experiences...Lucid dreams, etc.

I have always snapped back to reality but the idea that you can lose parts of your inner perception or other parts of your reality that are actually put together by your brain is quite terrifying.

I'm convinced a lot of our reality is heavily processed and edited before we ever experience it, and other inner perceptions are self created projections on our awareness by parts of our brain that can malfunction. Such as, for example, the perception of a personal self, the perception of time and space, perception of a sense of balance, etc.

I wish I had some answers for some of these experiences...So far I have only found answers in some books on spirituality, but frankly, I'm convinced most of these people could be nutcases similar to the religous nutcases.

Anyway - I'm getting way off topic now. I'm just another clueless human being wondering how I even have the capacity to experience existence.

To bring this back on topic - many of the most messed up experiences occurred upon waking in the middle of the night, around 2 am, four hours after going to sleep. Another reason I am so interested in sleep research.

Perhaps if you were hooked up to a FMRI someone could tell you *something* about your brain and these episodes, but no, you're not likely to find any explanations in studying neuroscience.

But that doesn't mean that neuroscience doesn't recognize that it can occur. Because we have so little understanding of consciousness, we don't posit much about what can and can't occur.

Also, yes, our entire conscious perception *is* highly edited and occurs generally after the fact as an interpretation of what's happening. Life happens and your conscious mind is just constantly trying to keep up and rationalize what's happening. This is more cognitive science than neuroscience. We know a lot more about how consciousness works than how the brain works, even though we have no idea what actually creates consciousness, consciousness is a very, very easy thing to study.

As for all of those perceptions, yeah, they can get fucked up. As someone with a brain that doesn't work properly, I can tell you that having sensations and perceptions that aren't actually happening is usually just a HUGE pain in the ass.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2022, 08:46:03 AM »

If you're making an appeal to authority, and placing yourself as the expert, then Matthew Walker is a professor of neuroscience at UC Berkeley.  I would view him as a greater expert than you, based on qualifications presented so far.  So from that, I view "Why We Sleep" as better representing the forefront of neuroscience of sleep.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2022, 09:34:05 AM »

If you're making an appeal to authority, and placing yourself as the expert, then Matthew Walker is a professor of neuroscience at UC Berkeley.  I would view him as a greater expert than you, based on qualifications presented so far.  So from that, I view "Why We Sleep" as better representing the forefront of neuroscience of sleep.

Not placing myself as an authority, I'm explaining why I have been exposed to information that has altered my perspective on information, even from highly respected sources.

In fact, it's only in reading material from this very past year that I've discovered that my own "expertise" in a lot of neuroscience is totally outdated.

You can listen to whatever authority you want, but far, far more authoritative experts than I have heavily criticized that book, and I generally take pop-science/pop-medicine books worth a grain of salt, regardless of the expertise of the author. They're not a particularly respected form of literature in the medical or scientific world.

So even if a researcher produces excellent quality peer-reviewed research, often the books they produce for public consumption are not considered authoritative at all, and could never be cited within the academic world.

Even a quick google search of "Why We Seep" describes it as "riddled with scientific and factual errors" and more to be story-telling about sleep than a factual analysis of it. This is very, very, very common of pop literature produced by excellent scientists who step outside of their scientific competency to write what amounts to commentary, but they tend to frame it as science because of their credentials.

This is most common in the diet book industry, which is probably the realm of the worst offenders.

Again, the more convincing/compelling a scientific narrative is around the functions of the brain, the less defensible it generally is within the rigor of the scientific world.

I am no scientific expert on sleep, not at all, that wasn't my area of research, but I am a clinician and an expert consumer of scientific knowledge that needs to be translated into actionable interventions, which basically amounts to trial-and-error/witchcraft.

Note I'm not claiming any authority over what is, I'm only claiming to mistrust anyone who claims to know "what is" about an unknowable system.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2022, 10:16:13 AM »

I was going to make a similar comment, since I have also read through the "Why we Sleep" book as well as several other books on sleep...but I don't consider myself an expert in this field. Or any field really, lol. I am always open to learning though.

I am reading through the biopsychology book she mentioned. It's a very broad neuroscience college textbook, not specific to sleep, but it does have some mentions so far of concepts being outdated, and lists the 8 hours of sleep needed as one of those outdated concepts. I'm sure they have some research studies to backup this claim that I can dig into, or sounds like a different interpretation of the existing research. There is such a shit ton of research on sleep and negative health outcomes associated with lack of sleep I would be very surprised if they can reinterpret it all away though to be associated with other things.

I'm always open to the idea I could be wrong - which is why I'm reading through the book. It's a large book so I haven't gotten to the sleep section yet.

I have listened to a ton of very educated medical doctors who all have the same ideas that they learned about from the same college textbook 20 years ago and interpreted the data the same way and took the same exams and believe that all their knowledge is amazing...There are problems with this sort of thinking also. I mean - look at all the shit that was taught in science textbooks 100 years ago. The academics back then thought they were geniuses also. At least @Malcat will give us her data sources so we can look into and judge for ourself. Some doctors I have met are just like "trust me I'm a doctor"

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2022, 10:28:10 AM »

I was going to make a similar comment, since I have also read through the "Why we Sleep" book as well as several other books on sleep...but I don't consider myself an expert in this field. Or any field really, lol. I am always open to learning though.

I am reading through the biopsychology book she mentioned. It's a very broad neuroscience college textbook, not specific to sleep, but it does have some mentions so far of concepts being outdated, and lists the 8 hours of sleep needed as one of those outdated concepts. I'm sure they have some research studies to backup this claim that I can dig into, or sounds like a different interpretation of the existing research. There is such a shit ton of research on sleep and negative health outcomes associated with lack of sleep I would be very surprised if they can reinterpret it all away though to be associated with other things.

I'm always open to the idea I could be wrong - which is why I'm reading through the book. It's a large book so I haven't gotten to the sleep section yet.

I have listened to a ton of very educated medical doctors who all have the same ideas that they learned about from the same college textbook 20 years ago and interpreted the data the same way and took the same exams and believe that all their knowledge is amazing...There are problems with this sort of thinking also. I mean - look at all the shit that was taught in science textbooks 100 years ago. The academics back then thought they were geniuses also. At least @Malcat will give us her data sources so we can look into and judge for ourself. Some doctors I have met are just like "trust me I'm a doctor"

They won't.

No one disagrees that sleep is necessary and that there's an amount that is needed, just that pretty much every study we have ever done to quantify it is fundamentally confounded. So we're still stuck at:
-It's critically important
-We don't know why
-We know not getting enough is bad
-We don't know how much "enough" is, but it might be closer to 5hrs for healthy unstressed people...maybe...maybe not

ETA: Awesome that you're actually reading the book! It's so good.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 10:35:39 AM by Malcat »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2022, 09:39:59 AM »

Not placing myself as an authority, I'm explaining why I have been exposed to information that has altered my perspective on information, even from highly respected sources.

In fact, it's only in reading material from this very past year that I've discovered that my own "expertise" in a lot of neuroscience is totally outdated.

You can listen to whatever authority you want, but far, far more authoritative experts than I have heavily criticized that book, and I generally take pop-science/pop-medicine books worth a grain of salt, regardless of the expertise of the author. They're not a particularly respected form of literature in the medical or scientific world.

So even if a researcher produces excellent quality peer-reviewed research, often the books they produce for public consumption are not considered authoritative at all, and could never be cited within the academic world.

Even a quick google search of "Why We Seep" describes it as "riddled with scientific and factual errors" and more to be story-telling about sleep than a factual analysis of it. This is very, very, very common of pop literature produced by excellent scientists who step outside of their scientific competency to write what amounts to commentary, but they tend to frame it as science because of their credentials.

This is most common in the diet book industry, which is probably the realm of the worst offenders.

Again, the more convincing/compelling a scientific narrative is around the functions of the brain, the less defensible it generally is within the rigor of the scientific world.

I am no scientific expert on sleep, not at all, that wasn't my area of research, but I am a clinician and an expert consumer of scientific knowledge that needs to be translated into actionable interventions, which basically amounts to trial-and-error/witchcraft.

Note I'm not claiming any authority over what is, I'm only claiming to mistrust anyone who claims to know "what is" about an unknowable system.
I searched for "Why We Sleep flaws", which shows the #1 result by Alexey Guzey, and the #2 result someone else quoting Alexey Guzey.  "Alexey is a writer and researcher studying the structures of science."  This is who you quoted in your reply, above, as evidence that "Why We Sleep" has "riddled with scientific and factual errors".  He's not an expert in sleep at all - nor neurobiology, for that matter.  If there's a flaw here, it's using Google search results without understanding the qualify of the source.
https://newscience.org/team/

Compare that Google search to relying on the CDC, Harvard Medical School, and experts who wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) a few months ago.

The CDC states that adults require "7 or more hours per night" of sleep, which contradicts the discussion you had with the OP.
https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/how_much_sleep.html

"Researchers found that individuals who slept fewer than five hours per night were twice as likely to develop dementia, and twice as likely to die, compared to those who slept six to eight hours per night."
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/sleep-well-and-reduce-your-risk-of-dementia-and-death-2021050322508

"Alzheimer disease (AD) ... Even during the more than 15-year preclinical (presymptomatic) stage of AD, decreased sleep quality and fragmented circadian rhythms are associated with AD pathology".
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2793873

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2022, 10:52:10 AM »
@Malcat I did read through the sleep chapter in the biopsychology book now. It is interesting that the author does his own sleep deprivation experiment on himself while writing the chapter and then reports this as evidence in the book. Honestly that sounds more like something I would read in a pop-sci book, not an academic textbook. If I did a sleep experiment on myself, then gave it to him, I'm sure he would not include it, lol. It is an excellent chapter though, and an excellent book overall.

They also primarily see sleep through a neuroscience lense, and don't have much discussion about the immunological or physiological effects or other long term effects, outside of the one all cause mortality study that seems to indicate 7 hours as the optimal sleep duration. It is great that the brain can adapt to sleep deprivation and still do well on cognitive performance tests with 5 hours of sleep but I'm not convinced that the body can adapt as well. Also, all cause mortality does not indicate if somone got dimentia later on, so this is a flawed way of thinking about sleep. I would not artificially limit my sleep for research purposes based on the totality of the evidence and personal experince.

Personally I think Matthew Walker, who is both a professor of neuroscience at UC Berkley and also their sleep lab director makes more compelling argumemts and has a better presentation on the subject of sleep in general for the average person. Why We Sleep is also a 360 page book specifically about sleep by a subject matter expert who has spent his life studying the subject, so it is perhaps not a fair comparison. Pinel and Barnes are neuroscientists who seem to primarily see sleep through that lense, who refererence other sleep experts in their book, which makes sense.

With all that said - these two works don't disagree that much, actually. Walker does repeat some recommendations from WHO that may be outdated now to help make some of his points,  and Pinel and Barnes don't address many things that are addressed by Walker. The biggest point of disagreement seems to be the amount of sleep that is needed for optimal health and if people in modern society are getting enough sleep or are constantly sleep deprived. It is interesting that Pinel and Barnes reference Jim Horne, who is another sleep researcher and who has opposing views to Walker in this regard.

I am personally more inclined to take Walkers point of view here. Even disregarding all the research, think about this from an evolutionary point of view. A sleeping organism is incredibly vulnerable to predation. Sleep would have to be absurdly important to organisms to make this tradeoff worth it. We evolved in a world where we were still hunted. Why would we evolve to make this sort of tradeoff if sleep doesn't have enormous benefits?

The answer to how much sleep we need is not universal or right for everyone or even people in difference circumstances or ages. Frankly I think the answer is probably: How much sleep would you get in ideal sleeping environment while exercising, seeing the sun everyday, and maintaining a good circadian rhythm? That is probably how much sleep a person needs, barring some medical condition or mental health issue, etc.

Arriving at this answer is explained in much more detail in the why we sleep book which I would recommend to most people.

Just my .02 cents.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2022, 10:59:27 AM »
I searched for "Why We Sleep flaws", which shows the #1 result by Alexey Guzey, and the #2 result someone else quoting Alexey Guzey.  "Alexey is a writer and researcher studying the structures of science."  This is who you quoted in your reply, above, as evidence that "Why We Sleep" has "riddled with scientific and factual errors".  He's not an expert in sleep at all - nor neurobiology, for that matter.  If there's a flaw here, it's using Google search results without understanding the qualify of the source.
https://newscience.org/team/

Compare that Google search to relying on the CDC, Harvard Medical School, and experts who wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) a few months ago.

The CDC states that adults require "7 or more hours per night" of sleep, which contradicts the discussion you had with the OP.
https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/how_much_sleep.html

"Researchers found that individuals who slept fewer than five hours per night were twice as likely to develop dementia, and twice as likely to die, compared to those who slept six to eight hours per night."
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/sleep-well-and-reduce-your-risk-of-dementia-and-death-2021050322508

"Alzheimer disease (AD) ... Even during the more than 15-year preclinical (presymptomatic) stage of AD, decreased sleep quality and fragmented circadian rhythms are associated with AD pathology".
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2793873

Fair enough, I did do a shitty quick Google search to make that point. Criticism taken.

However, I stand by my position that pop science books by doctors and scientists are rarely seen as reputable scientific evidence of anything.

Also note, never once did I say anything about lack of sleep not being damaging. I don't know where you got that idea.

I said that the research that specifically quantifies amount of sleep is profoundly confounded. I also just stated above that some of the current thinking is that the minimum might be somewhere around 5 hours for people who don't have additional stresses on their systems.

Saying research is confounded is not the same as saying it's wrong or useless. It's just that many specific conclusions that are drawn from it are being revisited and looked at through a broader lens of the influence that other stressors have on sleep and overall health.

Basically, you can't ignore the "why" when it comes to length of sleep. If someone is chronically sleeping too little, why are they sleeping too little? And what impact is that having on their body?

I think it's fairly logical that a healthy, happy person who sleeps 5 hours a night, wakes rested, and has plenty of energy is going to have very different impact on their well being than a person who is stressed out of their mind, working long hours, doom scrolling before bed, drinking at night, and then waking exhausted and low key hung over.

What is very, very, VERY reasonable to draw from the research is that people who sleep at least 7-8 hours fare better. But we can't rule out the confounding factor that consistently sleeping those hours correlates with already being healthier.

7-8hrs of nightly sleep is an extremely good predictor of health, but is it causal? Unsure.

This is similar to how sooooo much of the research on the health benefits of moderate alcohol consumption were fundamentally confounded. The data was good, but the conclusions were terribly wrong. Why? Because it's all correlational and rarely was the *reason* for not drinking accounted for. This meant that the non-drinker group was often populated by ex-drinkers who had drinking related health problems, or other health problems that precluded drinking.

So did abstaining from alcohol *cause* worse mortality and morbidity rates? Obviously not. But that's how the data were interpreted, and then a pile of scientists went off and found plausible explanations for the mechanism, which further supported the assumptions.

Speaking of alcohol, that brings me to my next point. Just because I'm repeating that the sleep research is confounded does NOT mean I'm saying length of sleep isn't important. Nor do I think I've said anything of the sort.

Is alcohol damaging to health because of direct damage to the tissues or is it because of it severe impact on quality of sleep?

Lack of sleep correlates with all sorts of seriously negative lifestyle issues, and it's absolutely possible that the main mechanism is that they cause poor sleep and it's the lack of sleep that is causing the most damage. That's very possible, because we have no idea what sleep is or why we need it.

But the data just can't tell us that. Are people who have low stress, healthy lifestyles and no health issues all fine with 5 hours of sleep? Possibly. Or are there rare people who only need shorter amounts is sleep, and everyone else gets sick when they have less than 7.5 hours. I have no idea.

What I do reasonable know though, is that literally every single scientific study I've read on sleep has HEAVY hedging language in it where even the researchers indicate that their interpretations are limited and subject to change with more information. 

This happens all the time. Presuppositions get reformulated when new data and new interpretations come about.

All I'm describing is what I've been taught is a very normal part of science. I don't see why there's an issue with anything I'm saying. Except yes, my shitty quality google search, I'll own that one.

But interpretations of data often change, especially correlation data, and *especially* health data. Hell, in the duration of my career many, many things we were taught as facts changed.

It's also common that there's a massive lag in the scientific discourse where old interpretations hang around a lot longer than they should. It's a known, major issue in healthcare in particular where doctors rarely update their foundational knowledge.

I for one contributed to my own misdiagnosis for a long time because I learned an outdated foundational fact about my own illness in med school.

I really don't think I'm saying anything unreasonable. I'm not claiming to have greater expertise than anyone, I'm claiming that no one has a level of expertise on this mysterious subject to draw many solid conclusions. I've certainly never seen any in the actual scientific literature, as I said that shit is always hedged to ends of the earth with "can't conclude" and "unsure" and "subject to change" and "requires further investigation."

I've studied under some of the so-called "world experts" in sleep medicine and literally walked out after paying thousands to see them because they're claiming very compelling conclusions that just aren't supported by the literature they're citing.

It's infuriating sometimes.

ETA: perhaps this will clarify my position. I worked in a specific area of sleep medicine where many practitioners horribly abused conclusions from confounded sleep science to justify extremely invasive and heinously expensive (70K) treatments for patients.

I was the second opinion doc offering a treatment that did the same thing, but for $500 and offering no explanation as to why it might work and no predictions either.

So I'm coming from a place of extreme mistrust of abuse of scientific interpretations.

Perhaps that's clears a few things up??
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:05:48 AM by Malcat »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2022, 11:02:28 AM »
@Malcat I did read through the sleep chapter in the biopsychology book now. It is interesting that the author does his own sleep deprivation experiment on himself while writing the chapter and then reports this as evidence in the book. Honestly that sounds more like something I would read in a pop-sci book, not an academic textbook. If I did a sleep experiment on myself, then gave it to him, I'm sure he would not include it, lol. It is an excellent chapter though, and an excellent book overall.

They also primarily see sleep through a neuroscience lense, and don't have much discussion about the immunological or physiological effects or other long term effects, outside of the one all cause mortality study that seems to indicate 7 hours as the optimal sleep duration. It is great that the brain can adapt to sleep deprivation and still do well on cognitive performance tests with 5 hours of sleep but I'm not convinced that the body can adapt as well. Also, all cause mortality does not indicate if somone got dimentia later on, so this is a flawed way of thinking about sleep. I would not artificially limit my sleep for research purposes based on the totality of the evidence and personal experince.

Personally I think Matthew Walker, who is both a professor of neuroscience at UC Berkley and also their sleep lab director makes more compelling argumemts and has a better presentation on the subject of sleep in general for the average person. Why We Sleep is also a 360 page book specifically about sleep by a subject matter expert who has spent his life studying the subject, so it is perhaps not a fair comparison. Pinel and Barnes are neuroscientists who seem to primarily see sleep through that lense, who refererence other sleep experts in their book, which makes sense.

With all that said - these two works don't disagree that much, actually. Walker does repeat some recommendations from WHO that may be outdated now to help make some of his points,  and Pinel and Barnes don't address many things that are addressed by Walker. The biggest point of disagreement seems to be the amount of sleep that is needed for optimal health and if people in modern society are getting enough sleep or are constantly sleep deprived. It is interesting that Pinel and Barnes reference Jim Horne, who is another sleep researcher and who has opposing views to Walker in this regard.

I am personally more inclined to take Walkers point of view here. Even disregarding all the research, think about this from an evolutionary point of view. A sleeping organism is incredibly vulnerable to predation. Sleep would have to be absurdly important to organisms to make this tradeoff worth it. We evolved in a world where we were still hunted. Why would we evolve to make this sort of tradeoff if sleep doesn't have enormous benefits?

The answer to how much sleep we need is not universal or right for everyone or even people in difference circumstances or ages. Frankly I think the answer is probably: How much sleep would you get in ideal sleeping environment while exercising, seeing the sun everyday, and maintaining a good circadian rhythm? That is probably how much sleep a person needs, barring some medical condition or mental health issue, etc.

Arriving at this answer is explained in much more detail in the why we sleep book which I would recommend to most people.

Just my .02 cents.

Fair enough, most sleep literature, even pop lit isn't giving bad advice. I just take issue with the conclusions they draw.

What I liked about Pinel's personal experiment is that he's kind of making the point that the science doesn't provide enough evidence for the individual to know what they need.

The advice derived from pop science books isn't bad, as I said. But if someone, like the OP of this thread is sleeping less and feeling fine, there isn't a shred of scientific evidence to say that they should be stressed about it.

That's really my only point.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2022, 11:32:23 AM »

Just my .02 cents.

Fair enough, most sleep literature, even pop lit isn't giving bad advice. I just take issue with the conclusions they draw.

What I liked about Pinel's personal experiment is that he's kind of making the point that the science doesn't provide enough evidence for the individual to know what they need.

The advice derived from pop science books isn't bad, as I said. But if someone, like the OP of this thread is sleeping less and feeling fine, there isn't a shred of scientific evidence to say that they should be stressed about it.

That's really my only point.

I do agree with your point. I also agree with most everything you have said in this thread.

Stressing out about lacking sleep for some people might actually be the cause of their lack of sleep.

And yes - pop sci books do generally suck. I tend to only buy books that are written by medical doctors or leading researchers in their field, with a very large reference section, for this reason.

Academic textbooks can also suck though. They typically only include things that are peer reviewed extensively and already replicated several times by other labs. So the information can be outdated, and some things, frankly,  get excluded for dumb reasons or are simply brushed under the rug because they don't agree with existing thinking about a subject.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2022, 11:38:48 AM »

I do agree with your point. I also agree with most everything you have said in this thread.

Stressing out about lacking sleep for some people might actually be the cause of their lack of sleep.

And yes - pop sci books do generally suck. I tend to only buy books that are written by medical doctors or leading researchers in their field, with a very large reference section, for this reason.

Academic textbooks can also suck though. They typically only include things that are peer reviewed extensively and already replicated several times by other labs. So the information can be outdated, and some things, frankly,  get excluded for dumb reasons or are simply brushed under the rug because they don't agree with existing thinking about a subject.

Very true. Very very true. I've read some shit textbooks that were better off as kindling than sources of knowledge.

Pinel is respected as a great curator of current neuro knowledge, which is why I read the whole textbook, despite my course only requiring a few chapters.

I was amazed how many neuro "facts" that I had personally not only believed, but taught at the university level were now "welp, that was wrong, lol!"

The more I study and the more industries I work in, the more suspicious I am of *anyone* who has a really compelling explanation for a complex concept where the research is difficult to conduct.

As I added to a previous post, in my world this kind of flashy, convincing invocation of science equals harm. I've spent my entire career learning to be wary of experts with explanations, especially neuro explanations.

There's one elite institution that leans heavily on a neuro interpretation of chronic pain and I just want to scream every time I hear it.

As you know, I'm also a chronic pain patient on top of being a sleep and chronic pain medical professional, so seeing the "scientizing" of pain treatment, which is mostly just blind trial and error, makes my blood boil. Because the biggest quacks have the most convincing "science/neuro" marketing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:57:03 AM by Malcat »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2022, 12:12:39 PM »
Oh! Here's a better example:

The biggest offenders in this space are those medical professionals contributing to the confusion and junk scientific interpretations of the weight loss world.

How much harm has been done by experts adding to the confusion around weight loss. I can't get over how many people say they're "so confused" about what they can and cannot eat to lose weight.

I mean, this is not actually complicated. We know very little about the impact of specific diets, it's impossible to study them effectively, and most people would benefit from eating more whole foods, but not too much food overall.

And yet an army of scientists and medical professionals have profiteered off of the obesity epidemic with extremely convincing pop-science versions of what scientific research actually says (in heavily hedged language).

I lost a lot of weight and have talked to a lot of people trying to lose weight, and it's bonkers what people have been lead to believe based on "science" being stretched well beyond what it actually indicates. There are people out there utterly convinced that most vegetables are making them fat and very sick.

I mean...it's possible... But I don't believe for a second that there's existing science out there that substantially supports that. Mostly because there's virtually no really well controlled nutrition science at all.

People are making billions of off weird interpretations of science in the weight loss world. When the only reliable scientific finding we have is that their approaches generally result in long term weight gain.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2022, 12:32:02 PM »
Oh! Here's a better example:

The biggest offenders in this space are those medical professionals contributing to the confusion and junk scientific interpretations of the weight loss world.

How much harm has been done by experts adding to the confusion around weight loss. I can't get over how many people say they're "so confused" about what they can and cannot eat to lose weight.

I mean, this is not actually complicated. We know very little about the impact of specific diets, it's impossible to study them effectively, and most people would benefit from eating more whole foods, but not too much food overall.

And yet an army of scientists and medical professionals have profiteered off of the obesity epidemic with extremely convincing pop-science versions of what scientific research actually says (in heavily hedged language).

I lost a lot of weight and have talked to a lot of people trying to lose weight, and it's bonkers what people have been lead to believe based on "science" being stretched well beyond what it actually indicates. There are people out there utterly convinced that most vegetables are making them fat and very sick.

I mean...it's possible... But I don't believe for a second that there's existing science out there that substantially supports that. Mostly because there's virtually no really well controlled nutrition science at all.

People are making billions of off weird interpretations of science in the weight loss world. When the only reliable scientific finding we have is that their approaches generally result in long term weight gain.

Ok - I was actually just going to reply with this exact example. You finally made me get on my laptop and off my phone, lol. Typing up these things on my phone becomes challenging after a while.

Anyway - yes - nutrition is the best example of misinformation. Followed by the world of finance, imo. I have noticed there seems to be a correlation between how much money is to be made behind selling a product and how much misinformation there is, generally speaking.

Some of the misinformation with nutrition has even crept into some research studies, which is frightening.

For example, researchers may get paid by company selling y product that treats x issue. The research study then gets setup with another factor that is known to fix x issue as well, conveniently occuring while taking y product,  but this is just an 'artifact' of how the study is setup. I have seen this - mostly in some nutrition studies. It passes peer review because technically this is all disclosed in the study and it's not factually wrong and this is disclosed as a potential confounding factor.

Then same small obscur study gets referenced in pop-sci books and news articles interpreting it as 'y' product fixing all their issues. It's all backed by 'science' so it makes sense to the lay person. Lay people throw their money at company making y product and process repeats itself.

I have read probably 30 books on nutrition and tons of research reports because of this sort of confusion and nonsense. Eventually I just gave up and used the books as a general guide and switched to my own personal observations about how I feel after eating various things, etc. I lost 30 lbs in 30 days simply by eating 2 lbs of vegetables and fruit everyday. The body is incredibly complex though, and the books certainly did help a lot in understanding things.

The BioPsychology book is awesome - I don't mean to distract from how awesome the book is. Thanks for the recommendation!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2022, 12:46:17 PM »
I'm really so glad you're enjoying it.

I have to say, the main reason I respect that book so much is because I read the exact same textbook from the exact same authors 20 years ago. So for me, all of those facts that he's saying are now in question are facts I originally learned FROM HIM.

So that was a riot for me reading that. And never in a million years would I have picked up an introductory neuroscience textbook if I weren't starting a whole new training from scratch.

The more I learn, the less I trust what I've been taught, and the more I look to understand what isn't known behind what's claimed to be known.

I'm actually preparing to give a lecture at my second school all about clinician burnout, and one of the key points I plan to make is that this insane pressure clinicians put on themselves to be perfect is irrational because they're not dealing with perfect information. The evidence upon which they base their entire practice is spotty and partial at best.

They're indoctrinated to believe that if they just learn enough of the "right" science their outcomes will magically be better, but it's nonsense. Our treatments are unpredictable because of what we can't yet know, not what we've failed to learn.

I take zero credit for the above, that all comes from one of my friends who does research on mental health of medical professionals.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 12:51:04 PM by Malcat »

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2022, 01:03:29 PM »

I have to say, the main reason I respect that book so much is because I read the exact same textbook from the exact same authors 20 years ago. So for me, all of those facts that he's saying are now in question are facts I originally learned FROM HIM.

So that was a riot for me reading that. And never in a million years would I have picked up an introductory neuroscience textbook if I weren't starting a whole new training from scratch.

The more I learn, the less I trust what I've been taught, and the more I look to understand what isn't known behind what's claimed to be known.

Oh wow - that's awesome! Some people get very identity - attached to their knowledge and see it as some sort of part of themselves that needs to be defended. There must have been some time in human history where being right or wrong about something was a matter of life and death or something, based on how people defend their views at times. I don't understand - a person's belief isn't a part of them. The fact the authors changed so much is a good indication they are simply following data changes and it is an accurate textbook based on our current knowledge base.

I am interested - do you have any book suggestions that go more into detail about potentially where consciousness/awareness comes from in the brain? I am looking for the field that registers the stimuli, etc. There is a brief moment when we wake up where we are conscious but not aware of any external or internal stimuli yet. It is like - when the braining is booting up from sleep for lack of a better word. Any recommendations?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2022, 01:31:29 PM »

Oh wow - that's awesome! Some people get very identity - attached to their knowledge and see it as some sort of part of themselves that needs to be defended. There must have been some time in human history where being right or wrong about something was a matter of life and death or something, based on how people defend their views at times. I don't understand - a person's belief isn't a part of them. The fact the authors changed so much is a good indication they are simply following data changes and it is an accurate textbook based on our current knowledge base.

I am interested - do you have any book suggestions that go more into detail about potentially where consciousness/awareness comes from in the brain? I am looking for the field that registers the stimuli, etc. There is a brief moment when we wake up where we are conscious but not aware of any external or internal stimuli yet. It is like - when the braining is booting up from sleep for lack of a better word. Any recommendations?

Not off the top of my head.

My intuition is that what you are looking for doesn't have a satisfactory answer. However, I would look less into neuroscience, the world of epic bullshit, and look more into cognitive science, which sounds like bullshit but isn't.

Cog sci is the study of what the conscious mind does with whatever the brain sends up. We may not know much about how the conscious mind exists and why, but we have ENORMOUS volumes of exquisitely well designed research that explores *what* it does.

I'm not a cog sci person, which is why the vast majority of my neuro background is beyond useless (and outdated) beyond a very, very narrow, and very weird area.

But some of my friends are big in the cog sci space, and it's probably the topic I enjoy reading pop-science about the most (cuz yeah, I read a ton of pop science, I just keep the conclusions in context), but it's suuuuuper abused. Like, all of scientology is basically just an abuse of cognitive science.

The more convincing...I think you get my point by now.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »

My intuition is that what you are looking for doesn't have a satisfactory answer. However, I would look less into neuroscience, the world of epic bullshit, and look more into cognitive science, which sounds like bullshit but isn't.

Cog sci is the study of what the conscious mind does with whatever the brain sends up. We may not know much about how the conscious mind exists and why, but we have ENORMOUS volumes of exquisitely well designed research that explores *what* it does.

I'm not a cog sci person, which is why the vast majority of my neuro background is beyond useless (and outdated) beyond a very, very narrow, and very weird area.

But some of my friends are big in the cog sci space, and it's probably the topic I enjoy reading pop-science about the most (cuz yeah, I read a ton of pop science, I just keep the conclusions in context), but it's suuuuuper abused. Like, all of scientology is basically just an abuse of cognitive science.

Right - the best thing I have found are some theories. My background is computer science so originally - when I was younger - I was visualizing some sort of neuronal cluster that is 'consciousness' and some sort of conscious/unconsciousness neural barrier where once a signal passes this area it is now in the 'conscious' part of the brain and we are now aware of it. Sort of like the CPU of the brain.

The more I have read about it the more I have discovered how little I know and how much more complicated the brain is than a traditional computer. It's like - this is the whole reason we can experience stimuli, either external or internal, one would assume we would have devoted more research dollars to probe this question. idk. I struggle to understand how a part of the brain has the ability to experience everything that comes into conscious awareness. I know there are some outlandish theories about it being an electromagnetic field that arises when enough neurons are firing in sync or something, then everything is registered in this field, but it sounds like some psuedo science.

Anyway - I will go back to rambling. If anyone has any clue why you're able to experience reading the words you're reading on the screen right now, or even have the ability to experience anything, please let me know.

If no one says anything I will assume we're all equally clueless.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2022, 05:08:40 PM »

Right - the best thing I have found are some theories. My background is computer science so originally - when I was younger - I was visualizing some sort of neuronal cluster that is 'consciousness' and some sort of conscious/unconsciousness neural barrier where once a signal passes this area it is now in the 'conscious' part of the brain and we are now aware of it. Sort of like the CPU of the brain.

The more I have read about it the more I have discovered how little I know and how much more complicated the brain is than a traditional computer. It's like - this is the whole reason we can experience stimuli, either external or internal, one would assume we would have devoted more research dollars to probe this question. idk. I struggle to understand how a part of the brain has the ability to experience everything that comes into conscious awareness. I know there are some outlandish theories about it being an electromagnetic field that arises when enough neurons are firing in sync or something, then everything is registered in this field, but it sounds like some psuedo science.

Anyway - I will go back to rambling. If anyone has any clue why you're able to experience reading the words you're reading on the screen right now, or even have the ability to experience anything, please let me know.

If no one says anything I will assume we're all equally clueless.

Not as outlandish as it sounds.

This has to do with the synchronization between brain areas, basically it was found that chunks of the brain synchronize rhythmic activity without being directly connected, or directly communicating with each other, and back in the day it was posited as a possible manifestation of consciousness.