Author Topic: Gave my FIRE notice yesterday  (Read 20417 times)

stuckinmn

• Stubble
Gave my FIRE notice yesterday
« on: February 04, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »
And it feels that a weight has been lifted off my shoulders now that the decision is official. I agreed to stay until Memorial Day as my boss is an awesome guy and I do not want to put him in a bind, but those 4 months will be a piece of cake now that I know that FIRE awaits on the other side.

To make this appropriate for this subforum, here is a question for the already FIREd-  what the heck do I change my Linkedin profile to?  I'd like to keep it up and running in case I ever decide to do some part time stuff.   "Retired" seems kind of bragging at my age (45, so old for mustachians but younger than anyone in my personal peer group) and I don't really want to field a bunch of questions.  "On Sabbatical", perhaps? 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Gave my FIRE notice yesterday
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:03:31 AM »
Congrats!!! Must feel amazing. :)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »
Sweet!

Most folks I know put "Indepedent Consultant".

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:40:26 AM »
Gogogogogogogo!

My LI declares I am an "independent securities trader."  It is true, even if it only covers what do for about 3 hours a week.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »
Congrats!  Love hearing about fellow mustachians pulling the trigger!

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
Congrats, that's awesome!

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »
One guy I know changed his to "Enjoying the next phase of life".  Similar to sabbatical.

I guess my only recommendation is to put something that won't look "bad" if/when you want to change it later.

Or, just use a title similar to the work you've done.  You won't have a company listed, but it would state the sort of work you do. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
Congrats, that's awesome!  45 is quite young to ER!  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:57:08 AM »
Welcome to the club! I look forward to watching the trickle of new arrivals here on the Post-FIRE forum. Hopefully, it will someday become a TORRENT. :)

stuckinmn

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »

Listen here dude in his 20's/early 30's who will soon be RE, I don't appreciate your patronizing tone- I made it as quickly as I could.  But seriously, thanks to all for the kind words and good advice on the LI profile.  Looking forward to actually contributing to this forum starting this summer.   

[Editing to clarify that the above post is teasing, and arebelspy's original comment was made in nothing but good faith and was taken as such.  Playful sarcasm is a dangerous thing when all you have to go on is typed text and I never should have tried it.  I'll have much more time to hone my message board etiquette beginning this summer. ]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:20:23 AM by stuckinmn »

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 12:15:32 PM »
Awesome, nice work.  those last few months are going to pass fast, then you can enjoy the hell out of your summer.  Perfect!

bikerdood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 01:58:01 PM »
Congrats!!  Mid-twenties here still on the first quarter of the ER trajectory.  Great to hear!

I know no one who's done it personally so it's always motivational to here that people _do_ _do-it_.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 02:00:46 PM »
Congrats!

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
Congrats!  Was it actually a "FIRE notice" (as in, "I am now financially independent and, after giving effect to this notice, retired early"), or just a standard resignation notice?

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »

Listen here dude in his 20's/early 30's who will soon be RE, I don't appreciate your patronizing tone- I made it as quickly as I could.  But seriously, thanks to all for the kind words and good advice on the LI profile.  Looking forward to actually contributing to this forum starting this summer.

Not sure where you got patronizing out of that.... ????

But congrats on your ER, may it be wonderful!

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 04:52:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm :)
Not sure where you got patronizing out of that.... ????

But congrats on your ER, may it be wonderful!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »
Woohoo!  Congrats! 

Listen here dude in his 20's/early 30's who will soon be RE, I don't appreciate your patronizing tone- I made it as quickly as I could.

Ha!  Have some respect for your elders 'Rebs.  Jeez!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 05:12:06 PM »
My bad.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

stuckinmn

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 07:49:20 PM »
My response to the young whippersnapper(aka arebelspy) was completely tongue in cheek- no offense intended.

Brooklyn- it was a FIRE notice.  He and I have often discussed what our magic numbers are, so I opened the conversation by saying I've hit my number.  He said he was jealous.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »
I gave mine 2 weeks ago. I'm out on March 31.

stuckinmn

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 08:11:58 PM »
Nice, iris lily.  Feels good, doesn't it?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 08:34:27 PM »
And the ranks of the FIRE'ed grows...it's fun to watch.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 09:50:38 PM »
Congratulations - I think I will call you 'unstuck' now ;)

And congratulations to iris blossom too.

I hope to join you all in July.

roadtofreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 10:53:32 PM »

And it feels that a weight has been lifted off my shoulders now that the decision is official. I agreed to stay until Memorial Day as my boss is an awesome guy and I do not want to put him in a bind, but those 4 months will be a piece of cake now that I know that FIRE awaits on the other side.

To make this appropriate for this subforum, here is a question for the already FIREd-  what the heck do I change my Linkedin profile to?  I'd like to keep it up and running in case I ever decide to do some part time stuff.   "Retired" seems kind of bragging at my age (45, so old for mustachians but younger than anyone in my personal peer group) and I don't really want to field a bunch of questions.  "On Sabbatical", perhaps?
congrats, really good news

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

roadtofreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 10:54:48 PM »
Congrats, really good news

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

downtownshuter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 09:18:53 AM »
Congrats!! These are my favorite threads; it's great to see people move from "want to FIRE" to "FIREd".

BTW half of my fired (not FIRE) former colleagues just leave their LinkedIn profile untouched so it still says their last position, sometimes for a few years. So I wouldn't feel rushed to update it.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »
Congrats to all of you, can't wait to join you later this year! I'm curious how you settled on the exact date? I'm thinking June or July? I feel like there's always going to be "I'll just wait for a few more paychecks...", "just wait for the bonus", "just wait for ..." even though my calculators and spreadsheets already tell me I'm FI.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »
Congrats!  Welcome to the club. :D

LinkedIn was a snap. The default nomenclature is (title) at (company). I just kept the same basic title and removed the company. I also selected the option not to spam every contact with a status update, as that's normally a signal for recruiters to contact you. Obviously I had no interest in that.

FIRE didnt change who I am. I figure I'm still a great Mechanical Engineer until I decide my next expertise to add to the resume.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »
I always had a NW "number"  in mind...once I hit it, I was determined to pull the ripcord and embrace the FIRE'd life - I did battle with OMY Syndrome for a spell though.... I picked September 15, 2014  as my last day...mostly because I didn't feel like working through another soggy PNW winter - 25 years was more than enough. And I was determined to use the winter to get in the best shape of my life so that in the Summer of 2015 I will be physically ready for what I am going to put it through...so much badassity lined up starting in the Spring...my body is ready. :D

stuckinmn

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 10:44:52 AM »
Congrats to all of you, can't wait to join you later this year! I'm curious how you settled on the exact date? I'm thinking June or July? I feel like there's always going to be "I'll just wait for a few more paychecks...", "just wait for the bonus", "just wait for ..." even though my calculators and spreadsheets already tell me I'm FI.

I calculated the standard 25 times expenses number, which I hit late last summer.  Since my annual comp is heavily tied to a bonus payable in December, I had always planned to work through December so I could get a little cushion and get down to a SWR of below 4%, but the whole month of January was basically me battling OMY syndrome and getting comfortable with the decision. 

I settled on the end of May because that's the start of summer up here and I want to do nothing but fish and play baseball/softball with my kids for 3 months.  I basically told my boss I can leave any time between now and Memorial Day, you tell me a date that is most convenient for you. 

As you are experiencing, there is a big difference between dreaming of retirement and actually pulling the trigger.   Actually doing it gets a lot harder when you have a well paying job that does not make you miserable (yes i know, 1st world problems), but try to figure out something you really want to do that can only be done at a certain time so you give yourself a deadline.  If you want to do something with your kids, summer is an easy target.  If you have no kids, go hike the Appalachian trail (better start in March or April if you want to complete it), run with bulls (July), attend Oktoberfest in Munich (September, suprisingly), etc.  You need some goal to force you to act.   

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »
Jon_Snow: sounds like you have a lot planned this summer, I hope you'll post about it here so we can all read about what you're up to!

stuckinmn: good thoughts, I'll have to think about this. It does sound like I just need to put the stake in the ground by picking a date. I can't off hand think of a particular big thing I want to do at a particular date, although for the last few summers I told myself I didn't want to spend another beautiful summer cooped up in an office, so maybe I just need to pick a date towards the beginning of summer.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 06:21:30 PM »
My response to the young whippersnapper(aka arebelspy) was completely tongue in cheek- no offense intended.

Brooklyn- it was a FIRE notice.  He and I have often discussed what our magic numbers are, so I opened the conversation by saying I've hit my number.  He said he was jealous.

And I was about to go all quotey and say he wasn't being rude! :-)  Congratulations on the FIRE notice!!! You rock!!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 06:32:14 PM »
Jon_Snow: sounds like you have a lot planned this summer, I hope you'll post about it here so we can all read about what you're up to!

stuckinmn: good thoughts, I'll have to think about this. It does sound like I just need to put the stake in the ground by picking a date. I can't off hand think of a particular big thing I want to do at a particular date, although for the last few summers I told myself I didn't want to spend another beautiful summer cooped up in an office, so maybe I just need to pick a date towards the beginning of summer.

The real ERE folks probably don't worry about the impact on social secipurity, but I've heard you need to bank 1000 hours in a year (so half of a year) to have the year used in benefit calculations.  I haven't verified this yet.  If that (SS) is a factor for you...

I like the Oktoberfest target!!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
I've heard you need to bank 1000 hours in a year (so half of a year) to have the year used in benefit calculations.  I haven't verified this yet.  If that (SS) is a factor for you...

False. The Social Security Administration has no idea how many hours you worked. You need to accumulate 40 "quarters of coverage" (QCs) to be eligible for retirement benefits. All you need to do to earn a QC is earn $1,220 at a job where you pay Social Security tax. You can't earn more than four QCs per year, so if you earn at least $5k in at least ten separate years, you're all set. After you've met that requirement, your monthly benefit is based on your total lifetime earnings (with each year of your earning history adjusted for inflation).

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 09:53:33 PM »
I've heard you need to bank 1000 hours in a year (so half of a year) to have the year used in benefit calculations.  I haven't verified this yet.  If that (SS) is a factor for you...

False. The Social Security Administration has no idea how many hours you worked. You need to accumulate 40 "quarters of coverage" (QCs) to be eligible for retirement benefits. All you need to do to earn a QC is earn $1,220 at a job where you pay Social Security tax. You can't earn more than four QCs per year, so if you earn at least $5k in at least ten separate years, you're all set. After you've met that requirement, your monthly benefit is based on your total lifetime earnings (with each year of your earning history adjusted for inflation).

Thanks, someone at work was full of crap - there's a surprise.
I thought the benefit was based on the highest 35 years of earnings? But maybe I misread that part of the site.  Again ERE folks probably don't care ....

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:21 PM »

I thought the benefit was based on the highest 35 years of earnings? But maybe I misread that part of the site.  Again ERE folks probably don't care ....

Fairly certain, that the highest 35 years of earnings is basically the same thing as your whole career. It might vary a little if you worked... 45 years but 35 is pretty close to *all the years*

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 01:04:45 PM »
The real ERE folks probably don't worry about the impact on social secipurity, but I've heard you need to bank 1000 hours in a year (so half of a year) to have the year used in benefit calculations.  I haven't verified this yet.  If that (SS) is a factor for you...

Our employee sponsored pension works like this, I imagine a lot of others do as well...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:38:16 PM by So Close »

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »

Yeah, it is the highest 35 years. On this forum I just assume nobody plans on working that many years. :-)

Happy in CA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 03:34:50 PM »
Congratulations, you've achieved a major milestone.  Now, as a former Minnesotan, I'm curious: are you planning to get "unstuck" any time soon?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »

Yeah, it is the highest 35 years. On this forum I just assume nobody plans on working that many years. :-)

I am already old and even I won't make it 35 years of FT employment!

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »

Ha! Thanks for the clarification. :)

rathga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • P2P Investment Review
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 10:40:55 AM »
Same situation - gave my notice in last week too!  It's only now starting to sink in properly

LinkedIn also been on my mind as a triviality!  "Professional Bum" was what I was gonna go for.... maybe!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 10:48:52 AM »
Same situation - gave my notice in last week too!  It's only now starting to sink in properly

LinkedIn also been on my mind as a triviality!  "Professional Bum" was what I was gonna go for.... maybe!

How about 'relaxation specialist'?

Congratulations  - love to see some updates here as you discover the joys of post-fire life.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »

I was 'forced' into it, a few months earlier than planned, as we're going to the Middle East. Could have waited a few extra weeks to get company bonus but then would have waited for something else and something else and something else.

Now I've just found out that for the first time in the 15 years I've been there there's no bonus this period as we haven't met our target. Timed it right after all.

4 weeks and 2 days at work, minus 1 day leave = 21 days. Not that I'm counting you understand :)

May go with "independent securities trader" on LI, thanks for that. Or "prudency specialist".

stuckinmn

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2015, 12:02:52 PM »
Congratulations, you've achieved a major milestone.  Now, as a former Minnesotan, I'm curious: are you planning to get "unstuck" any time soon?

My youngest is 10 so I've got 8 more winters.  I know I'm a complainypants about winters here, but I'm a native texan who lived in Colorado ten years, so I had no idea what I was agreeing to when I agreed to my Minnesotan wife's request to relocate.  Hats off to the hardy folks who can like it here, but it's not for me.

Part of the allure of RE is spending more time with my kids over the warm months so I can take frequent trips to warmer climes over the long winter.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »
What are your plans for health insurance?

stuckinmn

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 07:51:51 PM »
Pdx- my wife is going to keep working for at least a year.  After that, we'll figure it out.

morning owl

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2015, 05:17:43 AM »
Congrats stuckinmn!

Ok, if this was sarcasm, then it's really rude! Dude, you are a moderator here, show a little maturity.

Many (most?) of the people here plan to retire in their 40s or 50s. It's still a huge accomplishment to do so! If you really feel that retiring at 45 isn't early, or isn't somehting worthy of congratulations, then maybe you should go moderate the ERE forum instead.

I think you owe the OP an apology, and "my bad" doesn't cut it IMO. And if you're thinking of replying wih an insincere, sarcastic fake apology, then I have two words... grow up!

I would hate to come in here with something I'm really proud of and have some snarky arrogant dude respond with sarcasm. At the very least you could delete your own insult.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2015, 05:48:13 AM »
Congrats stuckinmn!

Ok, if this was sarcasm, then it's really rude! Dude, you are a moderator here, show a little maturity.

Many (most?) of the people here plan to retire in their 40s or 50s. It's still a huge accomplishment to do so! If you really feel that retiring at 45 isn't early, or isn't somehting worthy of congratulations, then maybe you should go moderate the ERE forum instead.

I think you owe the OP an apology, and "my bad" doesn't cut it IMO. And if you're thinking of replying wih an insincere, sarcastic fake apology, then I have two words... grow up!

I would hate to come in here with something I'm really proud of and have some snarky arrogant dude respond with sarcasm. At the very least you could delete your own insult.

Whoa - I think you may be the one that owes an apology. There was nothing in that message to indicate sarcasm.  And, having seen other posts by Arebelspy, he is nothing but supportive of otheRs. I'll chalk this up to you having a bad day, or this being a hot button issue for you. Ironically, Rebs probably won't be that bothered by your comment. But, I personally feel that level of vitriol was cpmpletely uncalled for in this context, no matter to whom it was addressed. No reason to derail this celebratory thread this way.

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2015, 05:55:38 AM »
"Gentleman of Leisure" or "Private Investor" will probably be what I hope to go with.