Author Topic: Fit or Fat in FIRE  (Read 57824 times)

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
Fit or Fat in FIRE
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:40:58 AM by spartana »

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Fit or Fat in FIRE
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:29:42 AM »
Interested to hear about this as well.  I am telling myself I will have to do mandatory daily exercise once RE as I can put on weight pretty quickly if I don't watch it.  I don't know if it is a good thing or not, but I am considering housekeeping and exercise my new "job" that has to get done each day no matter what. Don't think it will take much more than 1-2 hours a day if I stay on top of it. 

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »
Hmmm, I'm in the "about the same" category as far as weight (overweight).  I'm definitely getting more exercise though.  ~2 miles/day walking the kids to/from school.  Plus more physical work around the house and in the yard.  And the fairly frequent walking trips to the store, library, community center, park, etc. Some days I get in 4-5 miles of walking. 

I still haven't returned to my old push up/sit up/stretching/core exercises I've done off and on throughout my adult life.  I did do 2 pushups a few days ago when I realized I haven't done much more than sit on my ass all day! 

Overall, my lipid profile is better, blood pressure is better, and I honestly think my hair is growing back on my bald head since FIREing.  The weight hasn't gone away, but that's probably because I'm eating a full lunch during the day instead of whatever I might pack for lunch at work.  I'm pretty sure walking 2+ miles a day 4-5 days a week is way better for me than sitting at a desk 95% of the time.  :) 

I have a 2 year old that makes working out a little of a challenge, but it will be a lot easier soon.  And I could always find an arrangement where he's out of the house for a couple hours so I could work out.  It's just that I'm lazy and haven't prioritized that aspect.

DanielleS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 09:45:40 AM »
Definitely more fit and trim. I've changed my diet from vegetarian to low-fat vegan and it's made a big difference in my weight and health. Thus I'm more tempted to exercise! I've always been a big exerciser (is that a double entendre!??!) but now I get to hike and walk in different and beautiful and interesting places because we travel. Also, I am able to practice more yoga because I'm not crushed for time. Practicing right after a meal or too long after a meal is not good for me. Nowadays I usually practice yoga in the afternoon, about 2 hours after lunch. What a luxury.

I know that always having liked to be active is a big reason why I continue to do so post ER. It's true that whatever you were before retirement, you remain after retirement! A la 'wherever you go, there you are.'

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
I've been pretty open about my goal of becoming a "lean, mean, ER machine". I'm down 50 lbs since last August. I've been documenting my fitness journey in the "Throw down the Gauntlet" thread.

Basically, I am determined to see what my fitness ceiling is for my 42 year old self. Got a half marathon booked for April and would like to do it sub-2 hours.

I've got a big "ER to-do list" - a lot of the goals are big, ambitious ideas that are only possible if one is fit...REALLY fit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:49:06 AM by Jon_Snow »

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »
I've been pretty open about my goal of becoming a "lean, mean, ER machine". I'm down 50 lbs since last August. I've been documenting my fitness journey in the "Throw down the Gauntlet" thread.

Basically, I am determined to see what my fitness ceiling is for my 42 year old self. Got a half marathon booked for April and would like to do it sub-2 hours.

I've got a big "ER to-do list" - a lot of the goals are big, ambitious ideas that are only possible if one if fit...REALLY fit.

I stand in awe!  You rock it and you're very correct about being fit going hand n hand with a good life.  I think part of the appeal of MMM is that outwardly he appears very healthy.   

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
I was already pretty fit pre-RE, but became more so after. While working full time, I'd sometimes use that as an excuse for skipping workouts, but I almost never skip now. I'm lifting about 15% heavier weights now, and I can see a visible difference in my appearance (others have noticed as well).

I think once you're RE there really is just about no excuse for not getting fit.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 10:52:32 AM »
I was already pretty fit pre-RE, but became more so after. While working full time, I'd sometimes use that as an excuse for skipping workouts, but I almost never skip now. I'm lifting about 15% heavier weights now, and I can see a visible difference in my appearance (others have noticed as well).

I think once you're RE there really is just about no excuse for not getting fit.

+1000. No excuse whatsoever. Unless you have one of those pseudo-ER's in which you are in fact a stay at home parent. ;)

Another thing I'm noticing is that the fitter I become, the friskier my wife is getting. Nothing but wins all 'round. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:56:21 AM by Jon_Snow »

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 10:52:51 AM »
Still working, but, I put exercise ahead of work on the priority list.   (Also, lately, posting on MMM is higher in the queue than working.)

I alternate long runs with P90X-style body-weight workouts, lots of pullups, squats, pushups, and core.  An hour a day of something that involves sweating is about right.  170, 5'11". 

I've considered getting into the ultra-psycho stuff in ER, like tough mudders and ultramarathons.  Did a Spartan Challenge last year and found it to be very do-able.  Additional exercise is something I look forward to...   Very much doubt I'll move backward, as I'm addicted to the mental benefits and it's a great excuse to be outside.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
Dr. Doom, how's this for psycho? I'm thinking about paddling around Vancouver Island. As a cursory glance at a map shows, that's ONE BIGASS ISLAND.

This is one of my "Big RE Ideas"....or "follies". :)

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 11:11:23 AM »
Dr. Doom, how's this for psycho? I'm thinking about paddling around Vancouver Island. As a cursory glance at a map shows, that's ONE BIGASS ISLAND.

That sounds utterly bad-ass, JS.  Schedule your adventure during a typhoon or something for bonus points! 

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 11:15:34 AM »

That's awesome, and just goes to show how you can think and do big things without a stupid work schedule or TPS reports to get in your way.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »
Decided to become fit 5 years ago. Have worked my way up to competing in triathlons as my motivator to stay fit.

When I retire, I can increase my triathlon work and bang out some ironmans ;)

Life is too short, get fit now not later.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 12:26:32 PM »
Ever since being pretty darn fat just before puberty, I have maintained a healthy weight.  I worry that once I let it slide, it will be too difficult to get back, especially now that I'm in my 40's.  I have never had any success with diets. 

Doing the Houston Half Marathon this weekend.  I have dreams of integrating travel in with half marathons, including international travel.  Nothing better for getting over jet lag and finding your way around an unfamiliar city than forcing yourself to go for a jog (with a cell phone, just in case...)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »
That's awesome EV2020. I'm crossing the border to do a "half" in the San Juan islands in April.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 03:06:08 PM »

Oooohhh WHEN you do this please write a book and take lots of photos. I want to read all about it! :D

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 03:09:13 PM »
I've always hated exercising, but I finally found a strength training program I really like by Mark Lauren. He has a beginner level book I highly recommend even though it's marketed towards women, it's for beginners ("Body by You") and advanced book (You are Your own gym).  I see daily improvement and it's NOT boring because you can see your advancement through stages and adjustments of each exercise category. I've been doing these for about 4 months 3x a week in the living room. The author is a former Navy seal who really believes you don't need to go to a gym or buy equipment to learn traditional strength training.  In fact if you look at the history of physical fitness, the act of joining a gym and using equipment is somewhat of a modern concept (and it's how gyms make a ton of money from people who never show up).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:12:06 PM by meteor »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 03:34:48 PM »
That's awesome EV2020. I'm crossing the border to do a "half" in the San Juan islands in April.
Sounds like fun, and we have to do what we can to make running for 2-ish hours interesting right :)

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 04:34:59 PM »
Go psycho for sure! I'm an ultra-runner and it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on - unless, like me, you are also a Hash House Harrier ("a drinking club with a running problem"), then clothes are.... well, not optional exactly but just a bit "less"  :-)!
[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement.  HHH sounds awesome, btw(!)

I'm also signed up for a half marathon in this May and did 2 last year, too - just a great time.  Probably will try for mudder in August, and full M in October.  Maybe that's too lofty, I dunno, but it's worth a shot.  I just like running - after 8-9 miles I have absolutely nothing in my brain.  It's great.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 04:35:29 PM »
Sad to admit that I've let myself go a bit since retiring 6 months ago. The first 2 months I really got into cooking and was trying all kinds of new stuff (then trying to eat it all it doesn't go to waste). Then I traveled a bit (about 2 months total) and it was all about eating and drinking. I'm back home now getting into a new routine so I hoping I stick to it...need to be ready for my speedo before summer ;).

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »
In August I decided to eat less & exercise daily & have lost 20 lbs with another 10 to go. I feel much better.  My dogs love the daily, long fast walks. Some days we go twice. I never use elevators anymore & park far from a store when I shop.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 08:36:07 PM »
I've gained about ten pounds since retiring last year.  But I put this down to the fact that I've been cooking a lot more than when I was working.  Now that time isn't a factor anymore I've been going a bit nuts in the kitchen!

The key to daily exercise is to find something that you enjoy doing.  Far too many folks feel that they have to "go to the gym" and then get on a treadmill and think, "Damn, I hate working out."

Avoid this rut if at all possible!

I try to get outside and exercise every day.  XC skiing right now and running, hiking, kayak fishing, biking, kettlebells, yoga etc...the rest of the year.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:37:10 PM by vern »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »
This is a breakdown of my workouts this past week (copied and pasted from my other post in the Throw Down the Gauntlet sub-forum).

Monday: Stationary bike - 10 miles. 5 mile treadmill run. Strength training: arms, back, abs
Tuesday: Stationary bike - 10 miles. 7 mile road run. Strength training: chest, shoulders, triceps
Wednesday: Stationary bike - 10 miles.  Strength training: legs, abs
Thursday: Stationary bike -10 miles. 5 mile treadmill run. Strength training: arms, back, abs
Friday: Stationary bike - 10 miles. Strength training: chest, shoulders, triceps

Once I decided to ER, "getting fit" was priority #1. The way I see it, our bodies are the physical "vessel" by which we navigate this world - and I feel an urgency to maximize my physical abilities in order to help me make the next 20 years count. I think one can expect to be quite capable of pretty much anything into their 60's if we take care of ourselves. That is my goal.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 05:02:31 PM »
I'm not anywhere near FI however I'm reasonably fit. I intend to lose more weight prior to getting to FI. I view health as just as important as my finances.

I put weight on easily and what works for me is simply doing stuff that I like. I do jiu-jitsu and it keeps me fit. I also eat better when I train because I feel that I have to eat well to recover. My problem is drinking alcohol and then eating crap usually once per week. I want to minimize that. I can also get injured because jiu-jitsu is tough. When I get injured I typically put a couple of pounds on that takes a while to take off.

So when I FI I want to be really healthy with a dialed in diet and plenty of activities that I like to do.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »
Go psycho for sure! I'm an ultra-runner and it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on

If you want to add some altitude for an extra challenge to your ultra running, come over to my neck of the woods and try the Hard Rock 100!  It is definitely psycho!

http://hardrock100.com/

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 04:05:14 AM »
Slob here. I keep on starting on things, and they work for a while, then life happens. I started the beginners bike challenge a couple of weeks ago, as I see that one thing that will help is to get my bike sorted out.

SO and I started to walk more than an hour every other day - then my father got sick, and I had to go there every second week for over a year (they live 7.5 hours drive away), and we just haven't got back into it. Other ideas have worked for a while. However, if I try enough different things, one will stick!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »

Happy in CA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »
My goal in 2015 is to get my endurance back.  Though FIRE'd in 2010, I worked for my old employer for nearly six months in 2014, and my fitness plummeted.  I'm done with working for the time being and can now get back to what I love, mainly running and biking.  I'd like to run another marathon, something I haven't done since 2011, but it seems like every time I ramp up the miles I end up injured or sometimes even sick.  So I'm trying to build my training base by incorporating enough rest that that doesn't happen.

I'd love to run an ultra, but if I can't manage a full marathon I don't see how finishing an ultra would be possible.  That Hardrock 100 looks gorgeous but ridiculously hard.  I did a mountain bike ride on the Uncompaghre Plateau just west of the San Juans a few years back and the elevation kicked my ass!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »
That Hardrock 100 looks gorgeous but ridiculously hard.  I did a mountain bike ride on the Uncompaghre Plateau just west of the San Juans a few years back and the elevation kicked my ass!

Yep--I'm sure it is ridiculously hard.  I routinely hike a segment of it during the summers and falls, and I can't imagine trying to RUN it.  A couple times, I have been hiking on that trail as the race is being run, and it's pretty cool to see these amazing athletes.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 10:41:14 AM »
I never had any of these "extreme" challenges in mind when I started my fitness journey 5 months ago...but...maybe. Considering how far I have come in so short of time - and if I can stay on track - then perhaps. My half marathon in April is a good first step. I think my enjoyment (or hatred) of this event might determine whether or not I want to pursue bigger things: marathon, ironman, ultra's and the like. 

A year ago, such thoughts would have been ridiculous.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 10:54:25 AM »
I never had any of these "extreme" challenges in mind when I started my fitness journey 5 months ago...but...maybe. Considering how far I have come in so short of time - and if I can stay on track - then perhaps. My half marathon in April is a good first step. I think my enjoyment (or hatred) of this event might determine whether or not I want to pursue bigger things: marathon, ironman, ultra's and the like. 

A year ago, such thoughts would have been ridiculous.

Here are the deets on qualifying for the Hardrock, Jon.  Not to early to start planning!  ;-)

http://hardrock100.com/hardrock-qualify.php

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »
94, I just had a closer look at the specifics of the Hardrock 100. Yeah, I'd be shocked if I ever did ANYTHING like that. As good as my knees feel these days, I DO have some history of knee pain - that race would probably WRECK ME.

I just got back from a morning run with my wife - 10km at about a 6min per km pace - a nice tidy 1 hour run. Some decent hill work in there too.

Now I get get ready for some nervewracking football watching - GO SEAHAWKS!!!!

Seems outrageous to not have some cold beer in the fridge (no beer pledge WILL succeed) - but I will have some crunchy, salty snacks on hand...albeit probably the least "unhealthy" ones - pretzels with a mayo/dijon mustard dip of my own creation.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 10:13:48 PM »
There's a reason why so many extreme athletes have the Ironman insignia tattooed on them - because they want everyone to know that they are crazy!  Incidentally, as I was coming toward miles 11 and 12 today, there was a guy moaning about his knee.  We were so far into the race, I had to offer him encouragement to just finish, 'we were so close!'.  For me, it was just another half marathon, but knowing what I know now, I wish he would've taken the bio-feedback.  He ended up sprinting past me some 10 - 15 minutes later.  I was a little dehydrated, so I didn't need to turn it into a footrace.  When you're in the peanut gallery, you are only competing against yourself.  As the army-looking tee-shirt ahead of me said, 'Be All that You Used to Be'.  You get lots of time to think during these races.  I enjoyed that, and the girls holding the 'I admire your stamina' posterboards...
I saw that poor bastard in a wheelchair after the race.  Yes, running can be addictive, there are documented cases of very healthy people dying from drinking too much water before or after a race.  So I guess where I'm going with this is to try to push yourself in a natural way.  Some people naturally go to the extreme, but it doesn't destory their knees.  Know thyself.  I want to be able to run half marathons for the rest of my life.  That sounds like a pretty good outcome.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 10:53:57 PM »
I'm  a good 15 pounds overweight and am farting deeply into my couch cushions as I write this with some pasta carbonara extracts.

Now I work out seven days per week - a lot of body weight exercises (pull ups, push ups, squats, sit ups), 11 miles per week of running on a bad hip, some Tabata burpees to see if I can heart attack myself. Plenty of walking around the town and a bit of biking to run errands in the summer months.

Alum of one Tough Mudder. Not again. The heights are what psyched me out, not the electricity or cold and wet tunnels or ice water.

Alum of one half marathon. Unlikely to do again due to the hip, but absolutely loved every part of it.

Happy in CA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 12:08:18 PM »
Congratulations, EV, on the half marathon finish.  I also want to be a lifelong runner.  Some of my running buddies are already dropping out of the club, and knees seem to be the biggest offender.  One of my friends ran a half in 2013 on an already injured knee.  Bad idea, she had to have surgery and is now unsure she will ever be able to run without pain.  The first rule?  Live to run another day!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »
Thanks Happy.  They can do amazing things for hips and knees nowadays (as my Dad and wife, respectively, can attest to).  Don't know about farting though, Rapmaster :)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 09:19:13 PM »

I was curious about this little challenge of yours and decided to look at a map and see what kind of distance you were talking about. I figured paddling around an island, although an admirable task, was within the bounds of reason. Am I correct in calculating that the distance around Vancouver Island is about 600 miles?!?!?

Wow...that puts to shame the Ultimate Florida Challenge, which was the only other big kayaking event like that I've seen. I had read about it in the past and thought some day maybe...but need to get ER to truly get ready for something like this. Nothing like a little challenge to get me off my OMY ass.
http://www.watertribe.com/Events/UltimateFloridaChallenge/Default.aspx

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »
Daisy, I'd come down to Florida for something like that - its right up my alley! Actually, that looks every bit as challenging as a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island.

Our island where we have our acreage - well, I can paddle around it in around 3 hours - it's tiny.

I have been thinking about doing a "warm up" paddling challenge - our little island is just one of dozens of similar islands in the Salish Sea, between Victoria and Vancouver. I think I might want to paddle around all of them one Summer - some islands, like Saltspring, are quite large and would be a 2 day paddle...

Got me thinking....ER is so full of juicy opportunities.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »
Sad to admit that I've let myself go a bit since retiring 6 months ago. The first 2 months I really got into cooking and was trying all kinds of new stuff (then trying to eat it all it doesn't go to waste). Then I traveled a bit (about 2 months total) and it was all about eating and drinking. I'm back home now getting into a new routine so I hoping I stick to it...need to be ready for my speedo before summer ;).
After I posted this I decided to start going to the gym again...already dropped 6 lbs.

whiskeyjack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »
You all are very inspiring.   We're about 3-5 years out from RE but I'm hoping that with more free time exercise will get a boost.   I will still have to schedule my activities around children and homeschooling but I'm working on it.   Possibly I'm using that as an excuse to avoid anything more hardcore.

I recently decided that I should start doing aikido, because we are paying for the kids and I've been informed that since we already have them enrolled I can come for free.   I went for the first time last Saturday, over-did it, and couldn't walk normally for 3 days!   I'll try again later this week.

And, John_Snow, I'm very interested in hearing about your kayaking adventures because we are near Seattle and I've been looking into getting into that more seriously as well (currently I get out only about 4-5 times a year).

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 09:58:40 PM »
Years ago it occurred to me to 'exer-errand' rather than exercise.  I biked to get groceries, to Target, to Home Depot.   Sometimes I even biked to work, 12 miles away.   I biked everywhere doing errands.  When I had my son - I just clamped a burly trailer to the back of my cruiser bike and belted him in - with helmet - and lion bobo - and baba water - of course. The weight of the trailer just gave me a better workout (and extra space for groceries and bike pump and tubes).   

I remember one sunny California day - cruising past a Gold's gym on my way to Home Depot.  Out-of-shape people bulging out of newly-purchased spandex parked their cars to go inside to work out on lab-rat equipment.  It was around 10am and 70 degrees out.  WTH people?  WTH!?

I still go for 'exercise' walks or rides, and do yoga daily.  But the bulk of my 'exercising' comes from biking and walking as much as possible - to the banana hawkers or the local wet market.   

To me, this is one of those things where you just need to get started now.  Incorporate activity as much as you can in everything you do - whether you're working or not.  The MMM take on biking - well - that was him singing to the choir in my case. 

So I guess my long-winded answer is: in FIRE: fit.   Not bad-ass Jon_Snow fit.  But fit enough.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 10:34:36 PM »
@M41 - Lol...not bad-ass fit yet. June. Yes, by June I may be worthy of such a title. As long as the lasagna and red wine shenanigans of tonight are not repeated too often.

@whiskeyjack - I will be talking about my paddling adventures here so often it will probably start to irritate the locals at which point I will probably have to start a proper blog of my own. Below is a picture of an especially fine sunset paddle last summer, looking west towards Saltspring and Vancouver Island - your American San Juan Islands are unseen to my left - I want to explore the U.S. cousins of my own islands BADLY...it's on my list of "post FIRE" stuff to do.  I remember this day as well because there must have been 30 harbour porpoises frolicking about me. This picture pretty much sums up why I worked so hard for FIRE...this is what FEEDS MY SOUL. Maybe our paths will cross on the briny PNW highways someday whiskeyjack...

whiskeyjack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2015, 12:01:53 PM »
@John_Snow that's pretty glorious. If you get driven off to a blog let me know where.

Your photography is better, but here's my reply.   This is from 2 years ago on San Juan Island looking toward Vancouver Island.  The whales are from "J" pod.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »
Years ago it occurred to me to 'exer-errand' rather than exercise.  I biked to get groceries, to Target, to Home Depot.   Sometimes I even biked to work, 12 miles away.   I biked everywhere doing errands.  When I had my son - I just clamped a burly trailer to the back of my cruiser bike and belted him in - with helmet - and lion bobo - and baba water - of course. The weight of the trailer just gave me a better workout (and extra space for groceries and bike pump and tubes).   

I remember one sunny California day - cruising past a Gold's gym on my way to Home Depot.  Out-of-shape people bulging out of newly-purchased spandex parked their cars to go inside to work out on lab-rat equipment.  It was around 10am and 70 degrees out.  WTH people?  WTH!?

I still go for 'exercise' walks or rides, and do yoga daily.  But the bulk of my 'exercising' comes from biking and walking as much as possible - to the banana hawkers or the local wet market.   

To me, this is one of those things where you just need to get started now.  Incorporate activity as much as you can in everything you do - whether you're working or not.  The MMM take on biking - well - that was him singing to the choir in my case. 

So I guess my long-winded answer is: in FIRE: fit.   Not bad-ass Jon_Snow fit.  But fit enough.

I had a wonderful weekend of exer-errands. I didn't spend any money except for the food I already had at the house.

My city just shines in the winter months as it caters to tourists and locals alike with lots of free events, and the best weather of the year.

Saturday night, I went on a 12 miles round trip cycling venture to hear the symphony play live music. The concerts are broadcasted outdoors for free on a huge screen with an amazing sound system while they are playing live indoors. I saw four live concertos.

On Sunday, I rode the equivalent of a marathon distance on my bike in going to see the actual Miami Marathon as some of my friends were participating. I followed them along the path to cheer them on, having packed my food goodies for the day in my backpack. On the way home, I caught yet another free outdoor symphony performance right before dusk. Then, continuing to ride my bike back home, I was surrounded by the most beautiful sunset I've seen in a while.

Not one extra cent spent, lots of exercise to go around, and plenty of enjoyable stuff to do. I thought to myself...this could be what FIRE is like all of the time.

Along the way, there were tons of traffic jams all around due to all of the events going on, and I easily passed all of the cars stuck in traffic while on my bike. Priceless.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2015, 06:47:27 PM »
Between walking my dogs daily and doing regular physical DIY work since RE, I am much fitter than the office slob I was two years ago.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 10:58:34 AM »
Retiring last October freed up a lot of time for workouts, but I have yet to take advantage of it. So consider my case a control for isolating other factors from exercise routine.

I've already lost about 10 pounds in the last three months.  I attribute it primarily to eating better (and less) than before.  Food choices are more deliberate when you have no stress or schedule driving poor decisions.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 02:15:07 PM »
After I posted this I decided to start going to the gym again...already dropped 6 lbs.
Still glad this was thread was started. It was the kick in the pants I needed. I'm now down 30 lbs since January and my BMI in finally in the normal range. Bring on the summer!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 02:37:41 PM »
I have now lost 30lbs & am shooting to lose the last 17.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »
I have now lost 30lbs & am shooting to lose the last 17.

That is incredible Cassie!

Prior to FIRE, fast food and beer were unfortunate "addictions" of mine. Unwise methods of coping with job stress.

Now 7 months in, fitness and exercise are now my addictions. Much, much better. There is 55 pounds less of me than before. My goal is to be a lean, fit, 6'4", 190 pound specimen.

I hope to make the ladies SWOOOOOOOOOONNNNN this Summer...and if it turns out that only my wife is impressed, well, that's fine too. ;)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
When I turned 50 I tuned down my exercise alot & gave up on watching my weight. Needless to say when I turned 60 last year I was disgusted with myself. The way I looked, how I felt ,etc. So bought a fitbit, walked 10,000/steps a day, with 60 min being fast walking which the dogs love & eat 1600 calories 6 days a week. I feel so much better, look better, my back no longer goes out regularly & my hubby did the same. It has been 9 months so feel like it is a permanent lifestyle change.  I know JOn that you have lost a ton of weight also:))