Author Topic: FIREd last year but have a job interview today!  (Read 10024 times)

AlexK

• Bristles
FIREd last year but have a job interview today!
« on: March 24, 2016, 11:39:46 AM »
The wife and I have $1M+ in investments and live on <$25k/yr. We saved this from nothing in 8 years after being exposed to ERE and MMM philosophies. We quit our jobs to travel in July 2015 but because of stubbornly long lived pets we could only be away for a few months. Now we are at home but doing shorter trips, hobbies, projects, etc. Loving life actually but still with some idle time. One of my hobbies has become crazy popular recently and now there is a startup in my town using this hobby technology to do cool stuff. A friend I met through the hobby years ago works for them. He encouraged me to send a resume (I am mech engineer) and now I have an interview with the CEO this afternoon. I took a tour of their offices yesterday and it is full of 3D printers, young eager engineers, and expensive gadgets.

If the job happens I would be traveling to exotic locations to play with their expensive toys instead of playing with my own toys at my expense here. Sounds great but my friend is working 60 hour weeks for them and so does everyone else at the company. That is simply not an option for me. I cannot go from ultimate freedom to complete slave like that. I want to see if we could work out some kind of part time position. Should I bring this up during the interview or later if and when an offer is presented? Am I crazy to be considering becoming a wage slave again?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: FIREd last year but have a job interview today!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:43:39 AM »
They need your skills, you don't need the money. You have the upper hand in the negotiations. Don't ask for a less-than-60-hour job...tell them that you won't be working more than X hours per week and they should set your salary accordingly.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 12:01:13 PM »
They need your skills, you don't need the money. You have the upper hand in the negotiations. Don't ask for a less-than-60-hour job...tell them that you won't be working more than X hours per week and they should set your salary accordingly.

+1

I was in this exact situation a few months ago -- happily FIREd, when a company I like called me and asked for help.  I made it very clear that I was interested but did not want a full time job.  I specifically offered to work no more than three days a week at a fair hourly wage doing certain tasks that I find most rewarding and where I can provide the most value.  I was also very open that if either of us ever finds the arrangement isn't working for any reason, we can simply move on with no hard feelings.  They happily accepted my terms.

Know what you want when you go in, and be honest about it.  The worst case scenario is that you stay happily FIREd. 

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »
One of my hobbies has become crazy popular recently and now there is a startup in my town using this hobby technology to do cool stuff.

Drones?

AlexK

• Bristles

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 02:43:51 PM »
Interview went well and I'm no longer retired. I found something that I didn't think existed; a part time engineering job with health insurance!

My blog name is unfortunate though :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 02:47:29 PM by AlexK »

NorcalBlue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 03:40:49 PM »
Good for you!  Congrats!!

SMCx3

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 03:53:15 PM »
Happy it went well. 

Welcome back to the workforce.  Nice interviewing when you have the upper hand.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 04:23:32 PM »
My hubby is an engineer and works p.t.  Congrats!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »
Now see, I don't think you are mad for taking a PT job.. Your mad for coming on MMM and telling everybody about it! Has the two years of of virtual toungue lashing I have receieved taught you nothing?..:)

Seriously though, I hope you find your new "hobby Job" as rewarding as I found mine. Mine was a job I did before but HATED it.. So why do I love it so much now?

Simple, I don't have to be there plus they pay me hourly which I especially like when sitting on an airplane flying to and from Brazil..:)

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 07:04:34 PM »
Once you FIRE, no going back!  We will find you and we will....  never mind.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 10:16:17 PM »
Interview went well and I'm no longer retired. I found something that I didn't think existed; a part time engineering job with health insurance!

Congrats!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 11:00:16 PM »
Congratulations, I guess....no seriously, congrats ;) !
Sounds like fun!
I would not mind some fun hobby job with health insurance once I FIRE, but
I don't feel I have any skills to market like you engineer folks do.

DH has IT consultant hobby job and loves it, turns down more work than he accepts...

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 10:04:12 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a sea change.  The generation before us and the generation after are going to have significantly different 'work experiences', notwithstanding all of this ER stuff.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 06:33:48 PM »
Congrats! if the shoe fits then might as well wear it!  I hope at sometime i find a shoe like that...if not thats ok too!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 02:29:07 AM »
Congrats Alex!  That's awesome.  :D

Now you can have your cake and eat it too:
- Plenty of time off (since it's part time work) to do fun ER activities
- Getting to play with your hobby, with their dollars
- Extra funds, because why not?

Now see, I don't think you are mad for taking a PT job.. Your mad for coming on MMM and telling everybody about it! Has the two years of of virtual toungue lashing I have receieved taught you nothing?..:)

Ah, but see there's a huge difference, you refused to acknowledge you were still working.

Notice his declaration:
Interview went well and I'm no longer retired.

(Emphasis added.)

We don't have a problem with people going back to work.  If that's the most fulfilling thing for them once FI, more power to them!  It was the self deception that we objected to, and tried to get at by ribbing you about it.  :)

Your newest blog title mostly fixed that.  No one needs to do the ER part of FI, but it's worth figuring out which is right for you, and then committing.  :)

Back on topic, I've been enjoying your boating adventures, Alex, I hope more adventures continue (though likely not in the same way), despite the new job!

What does your SO think?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:30:55 AM by arebelspy »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 10:58:02 AM »

My blog name is unfortunate though :)

Congrats! That's awesome!

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 01:57:13 PM »
Working with drones on your own terms? Sounds like a great semi-retirement gig to me!

Btw, the internet retirement police have a warrant out for your arrest.  I heard nothing', I swear...

Cheers!
-PoF

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 02:19:39 PM »
STOP!  Not allowed!
I will report you to your mother, that you are a failure at retirement.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 07:25:08 PM »
STOP!  Not allowed!
I will report you to your mother, that you are a failure at retirement.

I knew I heard sirens and jack boots!

Mr.Tako

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mr. Tako Escapes
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 02:42:19 PM »
This sounds like a "good problem" to have!

See, FIREd people have problems too!

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 07:30:10 PM »
I have "worked" for two weeks now, a total of 43 hours. Having a blast! The company is very secretive so I can't really say anything about what we're doing. They even covered up the drones when my wife came by the office to say hi. That was hilarious considering how technically inept she is.

I don't care about the retirement police or what people say. My mom said she thought I would go back to work, but she thought we would run out of money. Actually the investment income has far exceeded expenses and the NW keeps growing. I expect this job to last until I get bored of flying drones or the pets die and we can travel full time. That could be a few years or months.

My dad just retired at age 67 from his public servant job. I was hoping we could go on some adventures together but he immediately filed to run for State Assembly position and the campaigning seems to be a full time job. I can't give him a hard time about that now!

What does your SO think?
She is on board, however the job will likely have frequent traveling to New Zealand. So she is stoked at the idea of coming with me.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 04:46:46 AM »
I have "worked" for two weeks now, a total of 43 hours. Having a blast! The company is very secretive so I can't really say anything about what we're doing. They even covered up the drones when my wife came by the office to say hi. That was hilarious considering how technically inept she is.

I don't care about the retirement police or what people say. My mom said she thought I would go back to work, but she thought we would run out of money. Actually the investment income has far exceeded expenses and the NW keeps growing. I expect this job to last until I get bored of flying drones or the pets die and we can travel full time. That could be a few years or months.

My dad just retired at age 67 from his public servant job. I was hoping we could go on some adventures together but he immediately filed to run for State Assembly position and the campaigning seems to be a full time job. I can't give him a hard time about that now!

What does your SO think?
She is on board, however the job will likely have frequent traveling to New Zealand. So she is stoked at the idea of coming with me.

Congrats! Sounds like a great position and a fantastic attitude.  Sounds like everything is going well. Always good to hear another retirement success story.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 06:05:20 AM »
What does your SO think?

Nice!  We'll be in NZ around September or so--if that lines up with one of your trips (even plus or minus a few weeks, cause we're flexible, especially if we have a few weeks notice), email me.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

gardenarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 01:31:57 PM »
Congratulations!
I'm also working part-time, post FIRE, and having a lot of fun, meeting people, and the extra cash doesn't hurt :)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 01:40:06 PM »
Congratulations.. Yes those exotic trips are tough.. especially when you get paid to sit on the airplane..:)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!