Author Topic: FIRE but still working?  (Read 8065 times)

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
FIRE but still working?
« on: February 13, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »
Curious if anyone here has reached FIRE but still chooses to work because they love their field/ trade? If you do still work, do you ever plan to stop?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: FIRE but still working?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 03:13:53 PM »
Just a quibble, but if you choose to keep working, then you're FI (financially independent), not FIRE (financially independent, retired early). The other term for this is a Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual (SWAMI). We seem to really like acronyms around here. (WSTRLAAH)

:)

And if I still enjoyed my job, I totally would have worked until I was physically unable to. I know there are many SWAMIs on the forum, and wish I was one of them really.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:50:21 PM »
We're partially in this camp, although we're thinking of changing roles within it. My wife is currently a SAHM but is thinking of going back a few days a week while we split homeschooling duties, if we choose to. I'm a teacher but would stay home full time if we decided to homeschool. Technically we could both stay home full time, but we think it would be better for her to go back perhaps 2d/wk to be able to socialize, and I hesitate to leave my job because I love working with kids, despite all the administrative nonsense. If we decide to stick with my working, she's still likely to go back PT, but we'd put the kids in either public or private school.

The funny thing is that our passive income supplemented my day job income more than a year ago, but until a few months ago, we'd gotten into regular debates because I'd wanted to stay home with her and have us both raise the kids full time. She won me over (as did reading longevity research about the importance of purpose and how a lot of long-lived folks found that in work), and I completely reframed my POV and opened my eyes to how much good I was doing for my kids every day I put up with the nonsense parts of work. Now, a few months later, she'd like me to pull the work plug and homeschool with her (I'd teach two days while she worked outside the home, she'd teach two days while I managed our passive streams, and we'd teach together via field trips on the 5th day each week), and even though it's tempting, I'm having a hard time switching gears again.

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:51:55 PM »
I will be switching jobs (same general career field, different job), as I don't want to be completely retired at this point in my life.  It's more fair to call this a FIES (Financial independence with early semi-retirement).  But that's not as nice of an acronym to say as "FIRE."

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 12:12:27 AM »
Sure.. I'm well beyond FI and have RE'd but I have a part time hobby job.

Although PT in the last part of 2015 looked suspiciously like FT.

Much has been written in my journal.. link below..:)

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:47:17 AM »
SWAMI- I love it! FIRE just sounds so powerful  and appeals to my pyromania though :)

Tobitonit- sounds like a rock and a hard place. I love my career it sounds like as much as you do. The longevity studies are just the cherry on top but it is hard to also deal with the politics and the bs that goes along with every good thing.... Hopefully you can talk to the Mrs. and maybe push the start date back? At least see your classroom kids out through the year?

I work with animals and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I deal with the blood, poop, pus, anal glands, and bite wounds that send you to the ER as just the cost of doing business.

It is great knowing that just the money isn't the light at the end of the tunnel for those that have already make it to FI. I just want to make a difference in this world and still have amazing relationships with the people closest to me. I will capture the leprechaun that is work-life balance.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:51:32 PM »
Curious if anyone here has reached FIRE but still chooses to work because they love their field/ trade? If you do still work, do you ever plan to stop?

I guess that I am now one of these people, as of Dec. 3, 2015. To retire or not is something I have struggled with, but ultimately, I have re-defined work as 'hobby'. It is now low-stress and I can do it for 30 years, or just three years, or three months, if I chose. The important part is that it is my choice and I am not a slave to my lifestyle.

Why do I still work?

A) It's not that stressful/hard/frustrating/annoying, etc.
B) Gotta do something during the day!
C) The money is very good considering the effort (See A above)

I think that even in 30 years time, I'll still be out hunting deals and doing deals. (My current business model is based on arbitrage.) The thrill of the chase. That, and working for yourself can be very emotionally rewarding. I'll be doing it on my terms and because I enjoy it, not because I need the money or want to spend the money.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 08:20:07 PM »
SWAMI- I love it! FIRE just sounds so powerful  and appeals to my pyromania though :)

Tobitonit- sounds like a rock and a hard place. I love my career it sounds like as much as you do. The longevity studies are just the cherry on top but it is hard to also deal with the politics and the bs that goes along with every good thing.... Hopefully you can talk to the Mrs. and maybe push the start date back? At least see your classroom kids out through the year?

I work with animals and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I deal with the blood, poop, pus, anal glands, and bite wounds that send you to the ER as just the cost of doing business.

It is great knowing that just the money isn't the light at the end of the tunnel for those that have already make it to FI. I just want to make a difference in this world and still have amazing relationships with the people closest to me. I will capture the leprechaun that is work-life balance.

Thanks FunkyChopstick. Totally agree with you on loving the job but not wanting to deal with the nonsense that surrounds the job. :D

Since then, she's gone back to wanting me to stay with it at least until our oldest (2) is school-age (5), while noting she'll support me if I decide I want out at any time. Works for me for now. And I hear what you're saying about wanting to make a difference but not neglecting important relationships. Every day I show up at work I know I'm doing good by those kids, but, my oh my there is a lot of nonsense involved with being a teacher these days. I know it's the same in a lot of helping careers (e.g., medicine) where the data worshippers have taken over.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 12:09:24 PM »
DH FIREd almost two years ago, but I kept working and plan to keep at it indefinitely. That said, I am a self-employed writer (I write romance novels). So my schedule is flexible and the work is portable (as long as I meet publisher deadlines I am good.)  When he retired I did drop all my side-gigs -- teaching writing, writing nonfiction and doing the books for his business. So it feels like I have a lot more free time these days.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 02:35:38 PM »
WE are semi-retired by choice. I can do my work from anywhere. 

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 11:26:40 AM »
We are also FI but not RE.  We are in a situation where we cannot implement our RE plans due to family commitments, emotional support and physical assistance of elderly parents.

We could RE if we wanted but there is no point.  So we continue working for now, building stash for the future.  We will R"E" when our family situation changes or if we finally get completely fed up with work.

It is very freeing to know we are FI and are working because we choose to, not because we have to.

Cap_Scarlet

• Bristles
    • EarlyRetireFree
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »
We are FI.

I am not able to RE because:

1. I am scared that it will be the wrong decision.
2. I actually can't decide whether I like the job or not.
3. I'm earning around $30,000 per month net

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 05:16:33 PM »
As I mentioned in several places that I am FI and my work is really easy, so I consider myself semi-retired. I think that if I decide to fully retire, I will very much be likely to sleep every day and get up very late. Sometimes I did wish that I did not have to get up in the morning (at around 8:00AM).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 05:24:06 PM »
Well, I'm FIRE, but DH is still working. When his dad died a few years ago, we realized his mom had Alzheimer's. We bought a clown house on a short sale and moved her in with us. DH's college-age son lives with us too, which does give us a greater amount of freedom. As long as she's living with us and our feet are tied to home, he might as well work at a job he enjoys and keep contributing to his pension. This way, our current withdrawal rate is 0.0%. Once we reach mandatory withdrawal age, there is a very (un)real possibility that our income in retirement will actually exceed our income in our working years. WTF? How did that happen?

Since we can't travel, we have focused on the things we can do. We flipped a house last summer, then put the profit down on another fixer that we fixed and kept as a rental. We are actively shopping and planning for our next two fixer/rental projects. I just hope and pray that the day will come when we will be able to explore the world together. Until then, we enjoy each other every day, and I try not to let his mom and her Alzheimer's quirks drive me batty.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 06:01:42 PM »
I have a close friend with early Alzheimer's and it is really hard. She was hiding things all over the house wrapped in kleenex, would pull things out of the garbage, dirty wash, etc. Her husband had to hide anything he wanted to see again himself and finally bought a big safe otherwise he could not find his car keys, wallet, etc. Then she started accusing him of being controlling and taking her things when she couldn't find them (he was not).  She is a wonderful person and it is so sad. Then his cancer returned and he was dying so could no longer care for her so we had to put her in a home since she has no family left. WE go see her a lot but I could not imagine living with her. WE used to be able to take her places but now we can't because she gets scared and every 2 minutes wants to run out the door.  This has got to be one of the worst diseases I have seen. You are an angel for living with your MIL but eventually it will be diapers, spoon feeding, etc and just too much. Many don't sleep at night or act worse at night (called sundowner).  Hugs:))

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
We are FI.

I am not able to RE because:

1. I am scared that it will be the wrong decision.
2. I actually can't decide whether I like the job or not.
3. I'm earning around $30,000 per month net

I would love to know what kind of work you do....   :)

Cap_Scarlet

• Bristles
    • EarlyRetireFree
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 03:20:23 PM »
I would love to know what kind of work you do....   :)

Partner in a "big 4" consulting firm.

gardenarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 11:21:53 PM »
I am a retired academic, but I decided to work part-time. I feel it's the best way I can make a contribution to the community (at present) and I enjoy the comradery.

I feel I am almost ready for the completely unstructured life of a full retiree...but not quite yet.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 12:36:42 AM »
I have a close friend with early Alzheimer's and it is really hard. She was hiding things all over the house wrapped in kleenex, would pull things out of the garbage, dirty wash, etc. Her husband had to hide anything he wanted to see again himself and finally bought a big safe otherwise he could not find his car keys, wallet, etc. Then she started accusing him of being controlling and taking her things when she couldn't find them (he was not).  She is a wonderful person and it is so sad. Then his cancer returned and he was dying so could no longer care for her so we had to put her in a home since she has no family left. WE go see her a lot but I could not imagine living with her. WE used to be able to take her places but now we can't because she gets scared and every 2 minutes wants to run out the door.  This has got to be one of the worst diseases I have seen. You are an angel for living with your MIL but eventually it will be diapers, spoon feeding, etc and just too much. Many don't sleep at night or act worse at night (called sundowner).  Hugs:))
Thanks for the kind words, but I assure you, I'm no angel...I have drawn my line in the sand for the sake of my sanity.  When she can no longer care for her personal hygiene, she will go to an Alzheimer's care facility. She has over $2MM and LTC insurance. She is physically strong as an ox. We moved her in with us to preserve her capitol, since she may need it to last for a very long time. I did not know her before she had Alzheimer's and she doesn't know who I am, which helps in some ways. She calls me "the lady who lives here"...

I agree that the disease is horrible, but occasionally there's humor. Like the other day: I've had three pumpkins on the back porch since Halloween. I finally used one to make pumpkin soup. Two days later, the other two pumpkins were suddenly under the kitchen table. When I asked her why, she said she brought them in the house because somebody was stealing them. Oy vey. She does the Kleenex thing, too. Strange.  Also, if she says something and I don't hear her, she will not repeat herself. We think it's because she cannot remember, even in the space of a moment, what she just said. So fucking sad. What a waste of human lives. A cure cannot come fast enough...

ronindeniro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 01:37:18 AM »
I still send my resume when I get something interesting from LinkedIn maillist. Almost all the times I'm not accepted because it is something beyond my professional capabalities, or because I'm asking too much money. These are the only possible things that would make me go back to Corp. Inc. Ltd. Planet. If project is interesting or is paying a lot.

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 03:04:10 PM »
FI but not RE, so yes, still working.  I have a pretty cool job, and it pays really well, so I'm looking at at least another 5 years. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 04:05:55 PM »
Diane: my friend could do her own hygiene in Oct and by Dec she could not. All of a sudden she went downhill fast. Something else we learned that once a person is in a nursing home and their $ runs out Medicaid will kick in and most facilities will not throw you out. They won't take someone new with Medicaid but usually keep the ones they have.  Paranoia and hiding stuff are really common. I read that the kleenex thing is too.  Often people wrap jewelry up in kleenex.