Author Topic: FIRE as a pain management therapy?  (Read 4856 times)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
FIRE as a pain management therapy?
« on: February 23, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
I just read this article at Science Alert and got to wondering, have any of you who are post-FIRE noticed that you use fewer OTC pain meds? Did you have aches and pains that disappeared post-FIRE?

Financial stress can cause you physical pain, scientists find
http://www.sciencealert.com/financial-stress-can-cause-you-physical-pain-scientists-find

"Overall, our findings reveal that it physically hurts to be economically insecure," said lead researcher Eileen Chou from the University of Virginia. "Results from six studies establish that economic insecurity produces physical pain, reduces pain tolerance, and predicts over-the-counter painkiller consumption."

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: FIRE as a pain management therapy?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »
Why would anyone on the FIRE path suffer from financial stress?  If anything, it allows you to not worry about money.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:51:51 AM »
This would make sense. No job means sleeping more, eating better, and having time to take care of yourself. I can see how FI could positively affect your health.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 11:08:16 AM »
Why would anyone on the FIRE path suffer from financial stress?  If anything, it allows you to not worry about money.

The article shows a connection between financial stress and more pain, I'm wondering if the opposite has proven true for you. Does your ibuprofen sit on the shelf collecting dust?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 02:04:03 PM »
I rarely get headaches anymore. I also don't stress out if I am sick because I don't have to worry about getting back for work. My back also goes out less often.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 09:08:06 PM »

The article shows a connection between financial stress and more pain, I'm wondering if the opposite has proven true for you. Does your ibuprofen sit on the shelf collecting dust?

I think Eric's point was that this (less financial stress) isn't just for people who have hit FIRE, but people who are on the path, because presumably if you're on track to FIRE, you don't have many money struggles.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 05:28:48 AM »

I think Eric's point was that this (less financial stress) isn't just for people who have hit FIRE, but people who are on the path, because presumably if you're on track to FIRE, you don't have many money struggles.

Well, I see quite a few people posting on this forum, presumably on the path to FIRE, who are still worried about losing their job or finding out their SO secretly spent down the 'stache or the fate of aging spendthrift parents they can't afford to support, but okay.

I am on the path to FI and have noticed a number of stress-related symptoms diminish as I approach my goal. My sleep disorder seems to be completely under control. It's been awhile since I had a migraine. I rarely suffer with allergies/asthma anymore, and when I do it's easily managed.

My ibuprofen does not gather dust on the shelf though, and occasionally I have to use Aleve for a week or so to manage various aches and pains. This week has been particularly rough (was tempted to ask my Dr. for a few Tramadol to get me through) so the article caught my attention.

I get regular checkups and recommended screenings, I eat a healthy diet and my BMI is well within normal, I exercise and get my 10000 steps in almost every day, my doctors (MD and DC) say there is no physical cause so stress is the only explanation.

The study describes how pain increases with stress, but they apparently did not study what happens when financial stress is resolved. Does the pain diminish, or have pain receptors been permanently reset to hyper-vigilance? I'm hoping that when leave my job behind in 3 years I will leave the pain behind as well, is that a pipe dream? I'm wondering if any of the folks here who are already FI can share their experience.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 09:12:54 AM »
Um, different kind of pain? I have more time to work out, so sometimes post- FIRE otc's are still utilized, albeit for much different reasons.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 07:48:57 AM »
My chronic pain (cervical dystonia) is the same but I need anti-histamine almost never now while I lived on them before.  I think I was literally allergic to work.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 11:53:32 AM »
I have different pain especially from sitting in my leather chair so damn much...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 12:45:19 PM »
I have different pain especially from sitting in my leather chair so damn much...

I feel like a lot of people with white collar jobs sit more while working than in FIRE, but that's just a hunch, I have no data to back it up.

Either way.. GET UP!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »

I feel like a lot of people with white collar jobs sit more while working than in FIRE, but that's just a hunch, I have no data to back it up.

Either way.. GET UP!  :)

I suspect that may be part of my problem, though I invested in an ergonomic chair and height adjustable desk. My mouse arm is nearly always aching.