Author Topic: FI, horrible workplace yet I stay. Why?  (Read 49231 times)

patrickza

• Bristles
    • The Investor Challenge
Re: FI, horrible workplace yet I stay. Why?
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2015, 05:48:28 AM »
Also glad you posted an update. I'll keep watching the thread to see how things go.

Btw, your day driving the sports car and going to the farmers market sounds pretty good to me :)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2015, 07:29:39 AM »
Sounds like you have a good plan!  I hope everything works out well!

begood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2015, 12:22:20 PM »
Glad to see an update, Francis! We're rooting for you!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Financial Velociraptor
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
You have taken an action.  You have set a date.  Good for you.  Hope you get the part time gig!!!

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2015, 09:48:46 AM »
Francis:

Your work royally sucks. You have literally NO benefit to staying and filling up your 401k for 2016. NONE.

Here's my prescription (ha!) for you.

1) Send me half of your stash.

2) We both retire. You will still have 40x annual expenses. This is a SHITLOAD of margin to spare, not even considering the Social Security you will start drawing in 7-15 years.

Seriously. QUIT NOW.

Even after half your stash went away, you would easily have the finances to draw your living expenses forever, even if we start in the worst retirement date in the last 100+years.

Indexmantra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2015, 12:51:49 PM »
Francis:

Your work royally sucks. You have literally NO benefit to staying and filling up your 401k for 2016. NONE.

Here's my prescription (ha!) for you.

1) Send me half of your stash.

2) We both retire. You will still have 40x annual expenses. This is a SHITLOAD of margin to spare, not even considering the Social Security you will start drawing in 7-15 years.

Seriously. QUIT NOW.

Even after half your stash went away, you would easily have the finances to draw your living expenses forever, even if we start in the worst retirement date in the last 100+years.

I agree with both statements. If I weren't FI already, I would have proposed we split 80 times expenses three way ( and there would be $$$ for the three of us with a 4% withdrawal rate)

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2015, 08:52:45 PM »
I just read all four pages of this hoping to see that FrancisinPA would come back to report pulling the plug on the horrid job.  But I understand going with your gut. 

Sending warm fuzzies to you, Francis!

JN2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • FIRE notice
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
Francis, you're 57 with 80x income in savings. I'm also 57 and just FIREd with 6x income in savings. Less than 10% of your stash, but enough to last until my $3k per month pensions kick in.

So why do you stay? You don't need the money! Are you a martyr-type personality? Or extreme protestant work-ethic? Go for the sports car and the wine and the freedom you so obviously enjoy. I did :)

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »
Francis, you're 57 with 80x income in savings. I'm also 57 and just FIREd with 6x income in savings. Less than 10% of your stash, but enough to last until my $3k per month pensions kick in.

So why do you stay? You don't need the money! Are you a martyr-type personality? Or extreme protestant work-ethic? Go for the sports car and the wine and the freedom you so obviously enjoy. I did :)

Hell, he can give me half the money and still have more than enough.

Werthless

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2016, 08:19:51 AM »
Any update? Still at same employer?

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »
I soooo gotta see how this turns out. 

jim555

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2016, 10:14:07 AM »
FrancisinPa do tell us what happened!

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »
Joining the crowd to add my vote for escaping. Hon, get out. You deserve better than this.

jan62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2016, 01:47:38 PM »
would love to hear an update also, this thread has been really helpful for me,in a similar toxic work situation but nowhere near enough to retire - but some really good advice here, thanks.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2016, 02:59:56 PM »
Quit.  I understand, believe me. 

Last December I was off work for surgery.  Work had been a rollcoaster for years but lately had plummeted to new lows.  Soul sucking, hand wringing, drinking too much after a stressful day, sleeping pills to sleep at night.   At home recovering from surgery,  as the date drew closer to return to work I started to panic about going back to that hell hole.  Every night my husband would come home from work to  find me crying on the couch.  I was starting the countdown on the days until I return.  He was the one who suggested that I retire now.  Literally I would ask over and over and over, "really?  is it possible?  I can retire?  You mean I never have to go back there?"  I could not wrap my head around it. 

I am 56 and I planned to work until 60.  It just went against everything in my work ethic, upbringing whatever to "bail" 4 years early.  I just about drove my husband crazy asking him repeatedly "is it possible, really? really? give up a "good" government job? You mean I don't have to work 4 more years?" 

Finally, as the day grew closer to return to work after surgery, I decided that I won't make a decision now I will wait and see how I feel after I get back to work.  Long story short, two days back to work and I was done. 

FUCK you assholes!  I typed up my letter giving two weeks notice and with outstanding vacation owing I only had to work 4 days.  I spent three days dealing with hell, shit hitting the fan and taking a moment here and there to shred.  Shred shred shred.  Day 4 morning I handed in all my company property (badge, etc.)  Before going to lunch with my co-workers I told my boss I won't be back after lunch.   My heart was pounding at the elevator like I had robbed the bank, broke out of prision, escaped from being held hostage, got away with murder, you get the picture. 

Not for a second have I regretted it.  I am eating homecooked meals (made by moi), drinking is probably 1/3 of what I was drinking.  No more sleeping pills.  Gym 5 days a week. 

I did feel guilty in the beginning that my husband is still working but now, not so much.  The stress on him is far less, we are not rushing around trying to grocery shop, clean the house, yardwork etc.   He loves it because he sees I am finally happy.  I am putting my health first now instead of last.  I have had two surgeries in two years and have a few other medical issues that need attention. 

I know it sounds crazy but I think I had PTSD (mild).  The first couple of weeks I apparently was crying, shouting and screaming in my sleep.  It seems insane now and it was only last month. 

FU money is the truth.  I get up when I want.  I go to bed when I want and in between I do what I want. 
I know it sounds arrogant but on a beautiful day like today, I was sitting out in the backyard reading a book with a coffee thinking how great life is now and "I am far too rich to put up with their bullshit"

This, from page 1 of the thread, has been one of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum. 

avrex

• Bristles
    • Avrex Money (it's been dormant for awhile)
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2016, 10:20:44 PM »
+1 agreed.  Great post there.

clarkfan1979

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
Your best options:

1) Quit now
2) Start throwing your weight around. You are in a position of strength. You have the leverage to quit at any moment. Make the workplace what you want it to be and if they fire you so be it. Make it clear that your vacation schedule is non- negotiable.

I agree with #2

HovEratoTo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »
Francis, did you quit? How did things play out?

markbike528CBX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2018, 07:20:53 PM »
Francis, did you quit? How did things play out?

Paging @FrancisinPa   

Not hopeful about a response, as FrancisinPa has no activity since may 2016

HovEratoTo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »
Thanks @markbike528CBX it was probably a long-shot but as I'm in a period of transitioning away from work myself, I was curious!

Happily Irrelevant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2018, 03:17:31 PM »
I just read all this and didn't get to find out how it ended.  It's like someone ripped out the last page of a book.  When you find yourself in a situation like Francis, you just need to imagine it's your mother in a terrible work environment with 80x expenses.  What would you advise/demand that she do?  Now follow your own advice.