Author Topic: FCC Emergency Broadband Benefit  (Read 2839 times)

jim555

• Magnum Stache
FCC Emergency Broadband Benefit
« on: April 12, 2021, 04:18:51 AM »
https://www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit

About the Emergency Broadband Benefit

The Emergency Broadband Benefit will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on Tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute $10-$50 toward the purchase price.

The Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.

Who Is Eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?

A household is eligible if one member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below: Emergency Broadband Benefit alt logo

Qualifies for the Lifeline program;

Receives benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, or did so in the 2019-2020 school year;

Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;

Experienced a substantial loss of income since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or

Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating providers' existing low-income or COVID-19 program.

The Emergency Broadband Benefit is temporary. It will expire when funds are exhausted or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) declares the end of the COVID-19 health emergency.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:41:20 AM by jim555 »

Abe

• Magnum Stache
Re: FCC Emergency Broadband Benefit
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 09:10:17 PM »
So if one person had a substantial loss of income but still made $98,000 a year during the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, and another needs food assistance to not starve, both get “emergency” money for internet access? Ok.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 03:01:54 AM »
So if one person had a substantial loss of income but still made $98,000 a year during the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, and another needs food assistance to not starve, both get “emergency” money for internet access? Ok.
Yeah, it works out that way because there are too many people who won't give any assistance if it only goes to poor people because poor people are obviously lazy and incompetent failures who don't deserve any help.  They'll only give the help if it goes to people like them as well.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 02:22:20 PM »
It will expire when funds are exhausted
I love how in the other thread your argument for using welfare programs was funds would be there for needy regardless of how many use it.  Here we see a program with limited funding for the needy that would be exhausted early.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit is an FCC program to help families and households struggling to afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic.
I don't think that applies to anyone that is FIREd.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 04:16:33 AM »
I almost forgot about this, must apply, you snooze you lose.  LOL

crewof4boys

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 05:39:51 AM »
Thank you for sharing this ! I know of two families that could truly benefit from it .

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 09:29:54 AM »
You are a morally bankrupt individual.  Don't forget to take your Tesla by the food bank later.  Also, get your application in early to request some toys:
https://www.toysfortots.org/request_toys/apply-for-toys.aspx

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 11:57:43 AM »
You are a morally bankrupt individual.  Don't forget to take your Tesla by the food bank later.  Also, get your application in early to request some toys:
https://www.toysfortots.org/request_toys/apply-for-toys.aspx
Thanks for the tips.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 12:20:17 PM »
How do I apply? There is no application link
I heard in the next few days the FCC will have the links.

Looks like May 12th.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/04/50-per-month-emergency-broadband-subsidies-to-become-available-may-12/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:19:51 PM by jim555 »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 10:17:36 PM »
All that free Internet is sweet and the Bipartisan Infrastructure bill extends the EBB indefinitely, but at $30 a month. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 04:11:34 AM by jim555 »

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 04:35:20 PM »
All that free Internet is sweet and the Bipartisan Infrastructure bill extends the EBB indefinitely, but at $30 a month.

Not a bad deal if you qualify!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021, 05:18:10 PM »
Posting to find this later.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 03:22:23 PM »
The new program is called the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). $30/month benefit and expanded eligibility to 200% FPL.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!