Author Topic: Electric Bike Parking Lot  (Read 2184 times)

smoghat

• Bristles
Electric Bike Parking Lot
« on: October 17, 2019, 09:27:34 PM »
So! I bought a Yamaha Wabash electric bike. It’s about $4,000, which is a lot to be sure, but my car is sitting in my garage, used only about once a week for drives that involve highways.

It’s so much less stressful riding my bike anywhere in town since parking just means using my key to lock the bike to a stand or other suitable object as opposed to finding a spot in a lot (not always easy). It’s great exercise, even when I’m tired, since I can give it as much output as I want. I can fit at least 12 bottles of wine in the pannier bags (I put 6 in one, for a party, and I suspect I could have put in 8 ...and there are two bags). Most of all, I live on a nightmare of a hill (even my cyclist friends say this) and it makes it easy to cycle back home anytime.

Over three years, it’ll be $1333 a year, but I bet it’ll be cheaper than the miles I put on my car, which given that I’m FIRE’d, are mainly around town anyway.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Electric Bike Parking Lot
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 12:38:51 AM »
Yay! I am completely on board on the ebike train as well, though I didn’t spend quite that much on mine. I also view it as a car replacement and go as many places on it as I can.

In addition to parking anywhere, like you mention, I love skipping ahead of long lines of cars. I do this regularly on the commute to school when all the big vehicles are lined up for a light or something. Suckas.... :)

I hope you spent money on a really good lock. Before I picked up my crazy one I was using a cheap one that made me nervous, so I would also remove my battery when parking it. I have basket on the back of mine (so handy) and most of the time a bike trailer is hooked up also for taking my kid to school. I joke that this is the closest I’m going to get to a minivan!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:40:40 AM by ysette9 »

smoghat

• Bristles
Re: Electric Bike Parking Lot
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 08:48:01 PM »
Yay! I am completely on board on the ebike train as well, though I didn’t spend quite that much on mine. I also view it as a car replacement and go as many places on it as I can.

In addition to parking anywhere, like you mention, I love skipping ahead of long lines of cars. I do this regularly on the commute to school when all the big vehicles are lined up for a light or something. Suckas.... :)

I hope you spent money on a really good lock. Before I picked up my crazy one I was using a cheap one that made me nervous, so I would also remove my battery when parking it. I have basket on the back of mine (so handy) and most of the time a bike trailer is hooked up also for taking my kid to school. I joke that this is the closest I’m going to get to a minivan!

I too LOVE zipping by the long lines of cars, especially when i hear the ring-a-ding and realize that the gates for the local train are closing behind me and in front of all the other cars. Yes, the $4,000 included not only a bike but also an ABUS lock plus fenders, a rack and so on.

I went for a regular bike ride for exercise yesterday. Hadn’t ridden my Trek Domane racer in a month but I found myself in a good space, riding faster than I had been and eager to hit 18-22mph. I found that my cadence was WAY better after I’d been riding the Yamaha all the time.

I’ve found that the danger of expensive bikes is that when I ride them and compare them to bikes that I intend to buy, I buy the pricier bike. Then again, I bought an entry-level road bike a while back and that didn’t last long, I wound up with the Trek Domane. At least with the Wabash, I’ve got a bike I love.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 04:20:19 AM »
Sounds like fun, I love the fun factor of the Ebike, makes commuting something to look forward to.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 07:15:55 AM »
Sounds like fun, I love the fun factor of the Ebike, makes commuting something to look forward to.
I was just remembering the first ride I took on an ebike. It was pure joy when the motor kicked in and suddenly I was flying around the parking lot. I was tapping my inner kid again.