Author Topic: Eek! ER decision made for me!  (Read 6673 times)

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Eek! ER decision made for me!
« on: May 14, 2017, 12:29:10 AM »
I was feeling good about ER'ing at the end of June. As I posted earlier - I was feeling peaceful about this decision. Well, last week my employer let me go! Even though I know intellectually I'm fine, for some reason this is stressing me out and I can't figure out why. I know even if my stash is not quite big enough, I could always get a part time gig, so not sure what is driving this new feeling. I am having trouble coming to terms with the loss of the big paycheck -even though I was going to leave in June anyway. Is this a typical start to decompressing? Thanks! 

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Eek! ER decision made for me!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:38:18 AM »
Did you get a severance package? Do you qualify for unemployment? That could make up for the lost income.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:42:02 AM »
Sure, you've been planning to leave...on your own terms. You just had the rug pulled out from under you, which sounds like it was something of a surprise. Were you fired or laid off? Can you collect unemployment?

You'll be fine, even if you didn't get to exit in a blaze of glory

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »
Even with a plan to ER in place, the transition from accumulating money to living off a stash can be a challenge mentally. I can speak from personal experience. You just have to trust the math and work the plan. Those feelings will probably start to go away as the first few weeks and months pass and you realize everything is going as you expected it to.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
Try for the biggest severance you can get :D

gardenarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »
It's always easier to be the one who breaks up :/

Once you get over the shock, it'll be okay. Best of luck!

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »
Congratulations! Enjoy your freedom!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 04:13:38 PM »
Sure, you've been planning to leave...on your own terms. You just had the rug pulled out from under you, which sounds like it was something of a surprise. Were you fired or laid off? Can you collect unemployment?

You'll be fine, even if you didn't get to exit in a blaze of glory

This is why it is tough. It isn't the same, but I can very much relate. Back when I was in junior college I had a rather nice part-time job doing wet chemistry testing for a small pharmaceutical company. Great experience relevant to my major and the pay and working conditions were way better than working retail. However, it got increasingly difficult to juggle work with school and I started talking about quitting my job. I talked and talked about it and then one day was laid off unexpectedly. Objectively it was the best of both worlds because I got to focus on school and collect unemployment. However, emotionally I was depressed for the next week. We humans really value doing things on our own terms.

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 07:31:03 PM »
I think you folks nailed it - I did not leave on my own terms and it was a surprise, but yes - the unemployment is nice! Also - the mental challenge that Mr.Green mentioned I think is also in effect.  I'm gonna take advantage of  the free services that were offered to me by my former employer, including the financial planner. I'm gonna run my stache by her which will either make me feel better about ER or might prompt me to look for a part time gig.... eventually :) Thanks!

tzukulika

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »
Very similar situation - to THE T - happened to my last year.

I was ready and mentally prepared to quit. I have planned my sabbatical and took it, not in the summer time, but in April. Plan was to give 2-4 weeks notice and sail in June into summer. Instead  I was lay-off first day after I came back from sabbatical. And I did receive a VERY generous severance package (almost ONE YEAR!).
However, I had a bit of a resentment,  because I did not leave one *my* terms, even though I have received MORE money then expected.

A year later I'm thinking I was *stupid*. Emotions>>logic. Also had the anxiety about money. And come to realize it is just money :-).  But i have still not found my groove/purpose. Focus on that, it will bring I think more closure then a bucket of money.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »
It's always easier to be the one who breaks up :/

Once you get over the shock, it'll be okay. Best of luck!

I actually think it's easier when you have a plan to break up and the other does it first (as long as your a good actor/actress and don't reveal your plan).  They feel that the choice was theirs, and may feel bad about it, and you have the relief of not having to break a heart.  I'm speaking from relationship experience, not professional.  I left in a blaze and it was great. 

OP, Good luck in your early Early Retirement!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »
Well hey, congratulations!! Hope things work out. Good luck!