Author Topic: Dream Vacation Plans post FI  (Read 30875 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
Dream Vacation Plans post FI
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:40:01 PM »
So, when I was growing up, my family stopped off in Hawaii on way back from Australia.  It was a hazy 6th grade memory, but I kept a pretty tight journal back in the day.  As I was going though these things with my son (that is old enough now that I encourage to journal) I ran across an entry that had a promise to bring my future wife to this beautiful place. So there you go :)

So I am closing my eyes (just this one last time) and spending a substantial sum to take a dream cruise through several Hawaiian islands.  Maybe I'll find some place in the world that I'm interested to come back to, and investigate more affordable ways to live there as a second home.  But for now, I'm happy to have a way to explore.  And this is the genesis of my thread - what dream vacation do you have planned or hope to do?

avrex

• Bristles
Re: Dream Vacation Plans post FI
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 10:51:19 PM »
I love this post, EscapeVelocity.
I'm glad that you are getting back to the Hawaiian islands with your wife.

Last year for my vacation, I explored two of the Hawaiian islands over the course of 11 days.  I would like to go back there to explore further when I reach FIRE.

Another dream vacation that I have after FIRE, is to spend several months exploring Australia / New Zealand.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 06:50:42 AM »
We want to hike through New Zealand and tour Australia. Given the airfare and distance involved we'll likely wait to do this trip when we can take off at least a month (preferably 2-3) for this trip.

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 08:03:12 AM »
I have several trips planned as part of a life-long plan to see as much as possible with my wife and 11yo son and check off bucket list items.  We currently are in Chile for two months.  I fly fished for Andean trout, trekked the Andes on horseback, and heading to Easter Island in a couple of weeks.  A motorcycle ride across Patagonia is planned for January 2017 as well as a two week tour of Tuscany with my wife in Sep 2017.  1 May 2018, I plan to step off from Spinger Mountan, Ga on a thousand mile trek of the AT to Harper's Ferry.  On the list: Alaska, New Zealand, Wyoming, motorcycle trip from Key West to Seattle.....

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 12:15:38 PM »
My dream travel plans aren't necessarily about a specific place, but more of a specific approach - basically, just being able to travel indefinitely, and go from place to place without being tied down to time constraints. A couple years ago I did something close to this, in which my partner and I traveled with the thought that it would be indefinite (we did book a ticket home for Christmas, but we were still open to the idea of continuing our travels afterwards - we ended up deciding to stay put, though, so in the end the trip was only several months, not years or anything like that). Anyway, the sheer freedom and joy I experienced during those months were amazing! Definitely want to do it again, might not even wait till FI, after all, that didn't stop me the first time around. ;)

freeat57

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »
Since I am now FIRE, I plan to do some slow travel.  I have "seen" a lot of places, but now I want to go and stay and experience the places I visit.  I have been to Hawaii maybe a dozen times, but it would be great to go and stay a couple of months.  Same goes for several European countries.  (I lived in Sweden for almost two years and it went by in a flash!)  After I get more experience with this, I want to try India and Thailand

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »
Too many dream vacations to list, but I've got my heart set on a 2-3 month road trip to rock climb, hike, bike and surf all across America.  Want to hit a number of National Parks, visit and connect with friends in various places across the country, and just drive the backroads of America coast-to-coast in search of adventure.  My retirement gift to myself.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »
Sounds like slow travel is a recurring theme!  Can't say I'm surprised, I find myself daydreaming on slow-travel blogs from time to time.  It's quite addictive to 'fast travel' through their posts and pictures.

Work in Houston was cancelled due to flooding today so I caught up a bit on my son's Nancy Drew book he's reading (so we can talk about it).  The characters are on a Chicago to Toronto cruise, and I find myself checking out the unfamiliar towns they are stopping off at (Door County / Sturgeon Bay WI, Alpena MI)...  It's getting me excited to get back out there after some time off from travel! 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 12:41:52 PM »
WE are taking an Alaskan cruise in Aug. Northern Wi is really beautiful so I am sure you would like it. I used to live there.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »
My views on this have changed over time. I used to think that trying to visit every country would be super cool. But I have really ratcheted back my future travel interest for a few reasons.

One, travelling is hard. Jetlag. Getting sick. Language differences. Everything is work to figure out how to get from A to B and to pack and unpack all your stuff and figure out how to deal with new situations and find out where you can get all the things you need (reliable, affordable food, etc). Slow travelling reduces the proportion of your trip dedicated to this kind of thing. But it's still an issue. If you have a problem in the US, it's pretty easy to deal with. A problem somewhere else can be harder to navigate. I never worry about losing my passport while at home.

Two, a lot of things end up being pretty similar. There's a big difference between the US and South America. But not as much difference between a lot of similar countries in a region. And even in places that are pretty different, a lot of things are similar (the old churches are ornate and impressive, the mountains/coast/animals are fantastic, the food is different in some ways but pretty similar in others, etc). The marginal benefit of seeing yet another city or country is rapidly decreasing.

Three, I don't want to work longer to pay for it. I'm getting increasingly impatient to do other things with my time besides spend it at my job. There are too many free activities that I'd prefer to do than continuing to work for expensive trips.

I've been to 3 continents. I think I will end up hitting all 7. But maybe by doing a big international trip every 5 or 10 years. We'll see. I am much more likely to spend a lot of time going around the US visiting national parks for a long time. And I'll probably end up waiting until the kid(s) are older before taking them on anything. It's probably easier and they will be able to take it in and appreciate it more.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »
We also enjoy going to Europe where the language barrier is not so bad. In the bigger cities there is always someone that speaks English. In smaller towns we still managed to communicate and get our needs met.  Thailand was impossible to communicate so we took tours for everything which is something I usually don't like to do. WE like to do a variety of things such as RV travel thru the states, go to europe and take cruises.  All are totally different experiences.  Cruises in particular appeal to older people because all the decisions are made for you-no need to figure out where to eat, etc. After 3-4 weeks I am ready to come home.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
I actually think the language barrier is something that's becoming more porous.  Technology is making it far easier to instantly translate documents, menus and signs, and I've literally had interactions where I've communicated with someone via Google Translate.

My mantra when traveling where I don't speak the language: I want to pay for something, and people want to accept my money.  Together we will figure it out.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 01:43:10 PM »
I am much more likely to spend a lot of time going around the US visiting national parks for a long time.

Several people have mentioned this, and I agree.

There is so much to see and do by slow-travelling the US (and Canadian) parks.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »
Travel is my weakness. If there is one thing that will delay retirement for me, it is travel.

Right now I'm interested in adventure travel. I want to climb mountains and swim in oceans, and bike through cities. Then I want a beer to congratulate myself for surviving that. South America is great, and I'd love to see Paris and Rome. Along with a few dozen other places.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »
Just this week I came up with a plan to travel around Italy for 6 months.  This is a ways off, probably 7 to 10 years. 

We plan to do a lot of slow travel once we are FIRE, in about 1 year and a half.  First on the list is South America and then probably Central America.  Hopefully, by that point, we will have enough in our stache to move to Europe and live there for a few years.  That's when we would do the 6-month Italy trip.  I am sure that there will be many more adventures, but that is this week's fascination.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 03:02:58 PM »
We have been doing our Europe travel for the past 14 years because you need to be in decent shape to get around,etc since things are not  very accessible like in the states.  WE also like to see the states, national parks, etc.  Some people at work were seeing the states first and then waiting until much later to do Europe and I told them that was a mistake.  Now many of you on this forum are retiring earlier then most so may not be a problem. 

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 05:31:35 AM »
Too many dream vacations to list, but I've got my heart set on a 2-3 month road trip to rock climb, hike, bike and surf all across America.  Want to hit a number of National Parks, visit and connect with friends in various places across the country, and just drive the backroads of America coast-to-coast in search of adventure.  My retirement gift to myself.
Are you me? ;-). This^ has pretty much been exactly what I've been doing since FIREing - and what I'll probably continue to do. It's pretty awesome and can also be very very inexpensive. Once my dog is gone I hope to travel backpacker-style overseas doing all the same things.

HAHA!  I definitely sense we're kindred spirits, spartana!  I also spent many days playing beach volleyball on the sands of California (Long Beach in particular) back when I was in the Navy! Used to play with a bunch of regulars on the beach not far from Yankee Doodles in the Belmont Shores area (not far from Second Street, where my favorite dive bar of all time is (was?) -- the Acapulco Inn (or "AI" as we all called it)).  Ah, I miss those SoCal days SO MUCH . . .

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 05:33:12 AM »
Looks like I'll be taking a dream vacation next spring! Skiing the Westfjords of Iceland from a sailboat!  Hell fkng yes!

Mr.Tako

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mr. Tako Escapes
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 10:31:59 AM »
We just got back from Hawaii - our biggest travel excusion so far in 'FIRE'.  Multi-part post about it here: http://www.mrtakoescapes.com/2016/04/01/visiting-hawaii-on-the-cheap-part-1/

Looking forward, our next trip I'd like to visit Okinawa and Thailand.  Maybe for a month!  That's probably about a year away though.

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »
Still figuring this out, but in the mean time we've got a super-spendy vacation planned with grandparents this year. They're...not getting any younger, so a vacation with them post-FI probably won't be an option.

When we're FI - yeah, at least a little slow travelling around the world. Something like 1-3 months at each stop along the way for a year or two. I think it would amazing to spend a year in a country that doesn't speak English and just focus on adapting a learning a new language - but it seems hard to get Visas for that long in most countries without an anchoring employer.

Sounds like slow travel is a recurring theme!  Can't say I'm surprised, I find myself daydreaming on slow-travel blogs from time to time.  It's quite addictive to 'fast travel' through their posts and pictures.

Work in Houston was cancelled due to flooding today so I caught up a bit on my son's Nancy Drew book he's reading (so we can talk about it).  The characters are on a Chicago to Toronto cruise, and I find myself checking out the unfamiliar towns they are stopping off at (Door County / Sturgeon Bay WI, Alpena MI)...  It's getting me excited to get back out there after some time off from travel!

What are your favorite slow travel blogs? :D

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 09:30:05 PM »

Can't say I have favorites (don't want to hurt any internet feelings:), but some goodies are:
http://freedomwithbruno.com/ (has a thread here under 'ponchoape')
http://bottlingmoonlight.com/
ER stalwarts Paul and Vicki Terhorst (https://sites.google.com/site/paulvicgroup/)
and the Kaderlis (http://retireearlylifestyle.com/blog/)
Other members here like Arebelspy and Spoonman are regularly regaling us with their worldly travels...
or I'll just google 'rv travel USA' (which got me here at one point) or 'sailing around the world'.  And many blogs link to their favorites...

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 06:50:33 AM »

Can't say I have favorites (don't want to hurt any internet feelings:), but some goodies are:
ER stalwarts Paul and Vicki Terhorst (https://sites.google.com/site/paulvicgroup/)
Other members here like Arebelspy and Spoonman are regularly regaling us with their worldly travels...
or I'll just google 'rv travel USA' (which got me here at one point) or 'sailing around the world'.  And many blogs link to their favorites...

Thanks much! I'll check them out.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 08:53:09 AM »

Thanks much! I'll check them out.

Also be sure to check out www.ouropenroad.com -- amazing couple who take stunning photographs.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 09:02:59 AM »
When I was in my teens, I did one of those 7 countries in 6 days European bus tour. It was a whirlwind...but one part stood out. We got to spend about 5-6 hrs in Lucerne doing whatever we wanted. I paired off with another teen boy in our tour and we strolled the lake, had a blast in the museum there and just generally had an amazing time. I thought it was incredibly beautiful and I promised myself to return for my honeymoon. Well, honeymoon came and went and it didn't work out to travel to Switzerland.

Almost 20 years after that first trip, we decide to travel to London to visit our new baby niece and i was able to arrange to spend 2 nights in Zurich in March. Unfortunately, my stepfather's local friend pushed hard for us to spend our day in Interlaken (although after my research, I had wanted to go to the charming village of Appenzell). We ended up going to Interlaken (way too far of a drive away) because it was a big deal to my stepfather to follow his friend's advice. Unfortunately, the fog rolled in, there was no point taking the $$ tram up the mountain, and the town itself is not particularly charming. We spent a couple of hours and then started the long drive back. I was a bit disappointed to I asked to detour to Lucerne. The fog was there too :( and we couldn't enjoy the beauty of the lake. We had a nice time strolling through the very pretty town then hopped back in the car to head back to Zurich for dinner.

So unfortunately, our Switzerland stop that I had been SO excited for and dreamed about for years....was largely a bust (although the family time was amazing). Oh well. I'd like to go back someday but no longer have a burning desire the way I did.

I'm more realistic now. And dream of slower travel when we FIRE. Right now, we scratch the travel itch with a lot of weekend trips.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:05:32 AM by elaine amj »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »
We're planning a 3-4 month long road trip across the US and Canada. My partner and I have not spent much time in the Eastern US so we'll head there first and return along southern Canada.

It was supposed to happen this Spring but has been delayed a year. This fall, we may do some 2-3 week trips.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 07:39:56 AM »
Are you me? ;-). This^ has pretty much been exactly what I've been doing since FIREing - and what I'll probably continue to do. It's pretty awesome and can also be very very inexpensive. Once my dog is gone I hope to travel backpacker-style overseas doing all the same things.

HAHA!  I definitely sense we're kindred spirits, spartana!  I also spent many days playing beach volleyball on the sands of California (Long Beach in particular) back when I was in the Navy! Used to play with a bunch of regulars on the beach not far from Yankee Doodles in the Belmont Shores area (not far from Second Street, where my favorite dive bar of all time is (was?) -- the Acapulco Inn (or "AI" as we all called it)).  Ah, I miss those SoCal days SO MUCH . . .
Sadly Yankee Doodles is gone - great place for an after VB beer. I still play down there but more in HB and Newport now. Fun times for sure. Looking forward to hearing g about the sailboat/ski trip to Iceland as that is the first place I plan to go once dog-free (even put it on Jordan Reads post FIRE map awhile ago). Guess great minds really DO think alike ;-)!

Yankee Doodles gone?  :-(  How about the Acapulco Inn on Second St, do you know if it's still there?  It was still there when I visited the area 8-10 years ago.  Re: HB -- I can't imagine how much that place has changed since I left.  When I was there, it was still pretty much all residential houses lining that road (PCH?), with some development by the pier.  But it had changed a lot when I returned 8-10 years ago. I probably wouldn't recognize it any more.  Used to surf HB when I lived in Long Beach.  Damn, I miss SoCal so much (or at least I miss the SoCal I used to know).

Edited to add:  It looks like the AI is still alive and well!  Though the outdoor area was not there back in the day!

http://www.gazettes.com/news/acapulco-inn-serves-shore-for-years/article_18215df2-d8c1-11e4-8d07-43074b654b42.html

http://www.laweekly.com/best-of/2013/bars-and-clubs/best-long-beach-bar-2694826

Woo-Hoo!  I gotta plan a trip back to SoCal soon!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:44:14 AM by dude »

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 09:29:57 AM »
A 1-2 year (maybe up to 3 if we love it) RV road trip across the US (and maybe Canada) right after FIRE.

After that, I want to sail the Caribbean for 1-2 years.

Other trips:

New Zealand: I actually looked into emigrating there about 10 years ago, but it seemed a difficult task. The pace of life in NZ seems very mustachian.
Hawaii: As we're currently on the west coast and I really want to see/hike Kauai. This will probably be a pre-FIRE trip.
Italian/Austrian Alps: My family is originally from this area (Tyrol) and it looks absolutely gorgeous. I'd also like to incorporate a larger Italian trip into this.
Through hike of PCT or Appalachian Trail (or both): We live near the PCT, and I'd like to do the John Muir trail before FIRE; potentially taking a 1-2 month leave of absence. These are kind of low on my list just because I'm not sure I'm really up for it, nor whether my body will be able to handle it.

gardenarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »
I've been to Europe for the past two summers. We recently moved and I plan to spend the summer getting to know our new state - Oregon. There are a zillion great trails, waterfalls, rivers, forests, lakes, ocean beaches. I'm really looking forward to it. And very happy NOT to be getting on a plane.

I'm in Southern Oregon and will explore the local stuff first. That may take the whole summer right there.

PawPrint53

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 03:53:57 PM »
We went on a walking tour (i.e., self-guided, walking village to village, baggage was shuttled to each B&B) of the Cotswolds several years ago, and I'd love to do that in other countries or other parts of the U.S., particularly New England.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »
Like many others, the more I travel the more I am inspired to travel even more. There is no way I will ever realise all of my travel dreams.

I have 1,000 dream post fire travel adventures on my mind, despite having already visited more than 50 countries.

My post-Fire budget will include a healthy allowance to provide for around 3 months international travel for the next 30-40 years or so.

We will also spend a lot of time travelling and camping around our home country of Australia.

We have decided we want to keep a home base in Australia to keep our stuff, even if it's not the cheapest way to go amd it will be empty for 4 or 5 months a year. Sigh.

Next year's dream plan is:
- we will head back to Nepal to hike the Everest region (I hiked Annapurna circuit when I was 21 amd have always wanted to return),
- we will spend a few months in Spain and will walk the Camino Samtiago in May.
- We will spend a few weeks with friends in the UK and will then walk the Penine Way in Aug,
- In Sept we will spend some time camping in Iceland before spending maybe a month in PEI and Nova Scotia.
- We will prob spend a week or 2 in NYC and then fly down to Central America and the Carribean for 3 months, before heading back to Australia.

We will throw our jobs in at the end of this year but will realistically have to get some fairly regular work to supplement our stash a little over the coming 10 years (unless we get a flat mate for our house....hmmm )

It's a difficult decision whether to aim to work around 3 months a year on average for the next 10 years, or just work 2 more years doing what we are currently doing, amd then we will be 100% free.

Decisions, decisions, dreams, dreams......

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 09:22:58 AM »
We went on a walking tour (i.e., self-guided, walking village to village, baggage was shuttled to each B&B) of the Cotswolds several years ago, and I'd love to do that in other countries or other parts of the U.S., particularly New England.

Ha!

My Parents used to run a B&B on the Cotswold way and did the luggage transfer for guests :D  Makes for an easy way to travel.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 09:55:49 AM »
Like many others, the more I travel the more I am inspired to travel even more. There is no way I will ever realise all of my travel dreams.

I have 1,000 dream post fire travel adventures on my mind, despite having already visited more than 50 countries.

My post-Fire budget will include a healthy allowance to provide for around 3 months international travel for the next 30-40 years or so.

We will also spend a lot of time travelling and camping around our home country of Australia.

We have decided we want to keep a home base in Australia to keep our stuff, even if it's not the cheapest way to go amd it will be empty for 4 or 5 months a year. Sigh.

Next year's dream plan is:
- we will head back to Nepal to hike the Everest region (I hiked Annapurna circuit when I was 21 amd have always wanted to return),
- we will spend a few months in Spain and will walk the Camino Samtiago in May.
- We will spend a few weeks with friends in the UK and will then walk the Penine Way in Aug,
- In Sept we will spend some time camping in Iceland before spending maybe a month in PEI and Nova Scotia.
- We will prob spend a week or 2 in NYC and then fly down to Central America and the Carribean for 3 months, before heading back to Australia.

We will throw our jobs in at the end of this year but will realistically have to get some fairly regular work to supplement our stash a little over the coming 10 years (unless we get a flat mate for our house....hmmm )

It's a difficult decision whether to aim to work around 3 months a year on average for the next 10 years, or just work 2 more years doing what we are currently doing, amd then we will be 100% free.

Decisions, decisions, dreams, dreams......

Are you the guy who writes the comic? I love that comic.
Got any tips on cheap travel? Suggestions on how to tour Norway are good too. :)

Dan_Breakfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • BREAK FREE
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:38 AM »
I am much more likely to spend a lot of time going around the US visiting national parks for a long time.

Several people have mentioned this, and I agree.

There is so much to see and do by slow-travelling the US (and Canadian) parks.

Add me to this list. My wife and I traveled the world for nine months in 2013, moving very quickly with five continents and 25 countries visited. Now, I'm trying to talk her into 6-9 months across the US and Canada. I want to buy a vintage Airstream, fix it up over the next few months, and take off when her contract is up in September. We gained a whole new appreciation for the US when we traveled the world - because we have so much here to see! After we're done with that, I'd like to slow travel with a base somewhere in the US. I'd like to spend 2-3 months in each location and really get to know it, but still have a home to come back to.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 11:53:34 AM »
Nope, not a comic writer.

As to Norway, we caught the Hurtigruten which is definitely not Moustachian, but we did love the pricey trip. We'd probably even do it again....

We cruised from the Russian border in the north east all the way down to Bergen on 3 different ships over the course of 2 weeks.

We saw lots of people cycling around the Lofoten Islands, which made us rather envious, but we were a bit pressed for time. Our 4 days on the Lofoten Islands were awesome. We did some great hikes and were blown away by the amazing scenery. Travelling slowly by bike would have been perfect.

I fell in love with Trondheim and wouldn't mind living there for a few months.

Norway is spectacularly beautiful and spectacularly expensive. When we go back I hope we will be travelling in a camper. I do hope we find a way to go back!

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 12:59:23 PM »
I want to buy a vintage Airstream, fix it up over the next few months, and take off when her contract is up in September. We gained a whole new appreciation for the US when we traveled the world - because we have so much here to see!
That's awesome, Dan.  Do it!

Dan_Breakfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • BREAK FREE
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 01:23:21 PM »
I want to buy a vintage Airstream, fix it up over the next few months, and take off when her contract is up in September. We gained a whole new appreciation for the US when we traveled the world - because we have so much here to see!
That's awesome, Dan.  Do it!

**Looks around to see if anyone co-workers have entered cubicle**

Thanks avrex, appreciate the support. The plan is to give notice Wednesday and probably stay through the end of May to offer a smooth transition. We're not quite FIRE yet, but I don't want to deal with this bullshit anymore :).

We found a vintage Airstream around where we live and will go take a look on Saturday...

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2016, 01:59:14 PM »
Thanks avrex, appreciate the support. The plan is to give notice Wednesday ..... I don't want to deal with this bullshit anymore :)
I hear you, brother.  I'm almost there myself.
I'm aiming to break free at some point later in 2016.
Eventually, my wife will do the same and we'll then purchase a travel trailer and hit the great roads of the USA/Canada.

I hope to meet you on the open road at some point.  :)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2016, 03:58:50 AM »
Thanks avrex, appreciate the support. The plan is to give notice Wednesday ..... I don't want to deal with this bullshit anymore :)
Eventually, my wife will do the same and we'll then purchase a travel trailer and hit the great roads of the USA/Canada.

Excited for you two!

Dan_Breakfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • BREAK FREE
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 04:03:32 PM »

Excited for you two!

Thanks! I put in my six week notice yesterday... we're not really fully FIRE'd but trying to talk my wife into quitting soon so we can get on the open road!!