Author Topic: Difficult FIRE decompression/transition, anyone?  (Read 51414 times)

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
Re: Difficult FIRE decompression/transition, anyone?
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2019, 05:21:39 AM »
Maybe all those relaxation techniques would help.

It kinda sounds like you are still judging yourself by "their" rules.

Deep Stuff:

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/invictus

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2019, 07:41:06 AM »
Post Traumatic Work Disorder, just made that up.

It takes a long time for someone to heal from all the BS that is work/school.  Years even.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2019, 10:47:19 AM »
<quote>
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
</quote>

Injunctions against necrobumping are unwelcome. I will follow my bliss and ignore them.

Been feeling pretty down this week for a variety of reasons (injured myself running leading to gaining back weight I'd lost in January) but mainly I think it's the aftereffects of a life of psychological abuse. Much of it was from my father and from relentless bullying in my high school, but stupidly I picked a career (academics!) that I thought would be fun and rewarding. Nope. It's only now that I realize that I received the same sort of abuse that I endured from my father— moving goalposts, nothing is ever good enough, being told you won't ever succeed—was a constant in my job.

Maybe actually realizing this will help, I hope so. But it's been four years since I started the process of early retirement and I feel more like a mess than I was before (in fairness, I only finally quit doing it part time last year).

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from going to therapy. Run, don’t walk. It doesn’t mean you’re crazy or weak. Those people aren’t bs charalatans, they actually can help you. Don’t sit on it, internet strangers can only do so much, find a professional, spend some time and heal your heart and mind. You’ve got all the time and resources you need to do more than complain about, you have the power to fix it. Choose to be healthy.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2019, 10:55:12 AM »
I left academia after grad school, smoghat, because of the exact type of goalpost-moving abuse you mentioned. Last year I went down the list of emotionally abusive behaviors... and academia, as a culture, is a fucking jackpot of toxic, trauma-inducing behavior. The worst part of it to me is that everyone perpetrates it, and everyone thinks it's normal.

I don't know for sure if the hurt of it ever necessarily leaves -- but it does get better. You get stronger, you learn what your fragile spots are and how to gently shore up those spots. It may take some real time, and some real work, especially if you were in for a long time and if you have other background stuff going on. It DOES get better though.

I'm rooting for you, smoghat.

FreeBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »
I left academia after grad school, smoghat, because of the exact type of goalpost-moving abuse you mentioned. Last year I went down the list of emotionally abusive behaviors... and academia, as a culture, is a fucking jackpot of toxic, trauma-inducing behavior. The worst part of it to me is that everyone perpetrates it, and everyone thinks it's normal.

I don't know for sure if the hurt of it ever necessarily leaves -- but it does get better. You get stronger, you learn what your fragile spots are and how to gently shore up those spots. It may take some real time, and some real work, especially if you were in for a long time and if you have other background stuff going on. It DOES get better though.

Yep, been there, done with that crap.  Did the grad school thing, just to see my untenured advisor and his students get kicked around by the big dogs. Left for the business world and saw the same crap there, but it paid good money to suck it up.  I've been retired 4 years now and most of the pain has faded, slowly.  I'm glad I got out when I did.  I was getting very lost and the w*rking environment grew more abusive. 

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2019, 08:39:23 PM »
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from going to therapy. Run, don’t walk. ...

In it. It’s helping somewhat. I’m heartened by all the folks who say it’s taken years but healing has happened. That’s awesome.

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2019, 08:40:39 PM »
Have to remember my mom saying living well is the best revenge.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2019, 04:17:26 AM »
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from going to therapy. Run, don’t walk. ...

In it. It’s helping somewhat. I’m heartened by all the folks who say it’s taken years but healing has happened. That’s awesome.

It really does take years, and the longer you were in it, the longer it takes to heal. It would be weird if you could experience a lifetime of severe psychological abuse and then turn around and be happy and mentally healthy out of nowhere.

Happiness and mental health are not natural, given states in the absence of suffering. They are active skills that require training, experience, and constant practice.

Look around you, most people aren't happy and healthy. It's because they expect it to just happen and are perpetually surprised that it actually takes a lot of work.

A prisoner who is staved and beaten every day doesn't suddenly become an athlete once they escape the beatings. They're just as sick and injured as when they were in prison. It's just that now they have a chance to heal as much as possible, although some damage is permanent.

FIRE does not make you happy. It only helps create a more favourable environment within which you can now work towards happiness and health without constant barriers in your way.

Just because no one is beating you anymore doesn't mean that you aren't still beaten. Cut yourself some slack, and give your mind the space it needs to convalesce and recover.

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2019, 08:56:50 PM »
It really does take years, and the longer you were in it, the longer it takes to heal. It would be weird if you could experience a lifetime of severe psychological abuse and then turn around and be happy and mentally healthy out of nowhere.

Just because no one is beating you anymore doesn't mean that you aren't still beaten. Cut yourself some slack, and give your mind the space it needs to convalesce and recover.

Thank you, unknown friend for caring enough to write this. it means a lot to me to read this and there's deep truth here. Why indeed should we be better right away? 

Since a year of Insight Timer premium is 1/3 the price of one session with my therapist, I figured what the heck. I'm on day 2 of Sarah Blondin's course and I'm blown away. I was in tears in the first one (and I'm a guy). I think she may be able to help. 

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2019, 10:09:43 AM »
@Malkynn - Thank you for your post.   One former employee at my company I talked to compared it to an emotionally abusive relationship and it takes time to seperate

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2019, 04:41:26 PM »
Since a year of Insight Timer premium is 1/3 the price of one session with my therapist, I figured what the heck. I'm on day 2 of Sarah Blondin's course and I'm blown away. I was in tears in the first one (and I'm a guy). I think she may be able to help.
Just chiming in to say I think it's terrific that you're doing Sarah Blondin's stuff. It helped me a lot, too. I wish you easier times ahead, FIRE friend!

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »
I’m nearly done with the course on insight.  I’m eagerly awaiting her book (and audio book!) out later this year. If you have suggestions of who to try after, I’m all ears!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!