Author Topic: Did you feel peace when you decided to FIRE?  (Read 2764 times)

freeatlast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Did you feel peace when you decided to FIRE?
« on: May 04, 2017, 10:38:56 PM »
So I have been planning for FIRE for a number of years now, like most everyone else on this site.  I've come close to throwing in the work towel before - but the money thing always stressed me out. This time, MMM folks seem to think I can make it on what I have (see prior thread), although it will be a modest life.   Given this, I've decided to finally at least take a very long break, if not permanently FIRE. I want to work thru the end of June to wrap some things up, but that's it.

This time, I feel peace.  I feel happy and light. I'm wondering if that means it's the right decision. I'm wondering if others have experienced this sort of feeling after making the decision.

It's quite a nice feeling I must say!

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Did you feel peace when you decided to FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:47:31 PM »
If you've done the math a 1000x times, got some double checks here, and come to the realization you can always pick up extra work if needed. Then it sounds like the right thing.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 06:00:40 AM »
I was so frustrated with what I was doing that even though I didn't have what I exactly wanted in my accounts and still had/have 4 kids at home I had to take a leap of faith for physical and mental health reasons. Knowing as well I could always find a way to pick up some extra bucks. Going on a little over two years I have found a certain peace and it gets easier as time goes on and proves to be the right decision. And my net worth is closer to what I wanted to be thanks to my investment strategy. Lifes to short to not take some calculated chances.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 07:08:21 AM »
I didn't know about MMM, the FIRE community, Trinity study or any of that when I pulled the plug.  It was a wild assed guess on my part and was pretty antsy for about 2-3 months.  But then I settled in and have been enormously happy since.