Author Topic: Did you celebrate when you reached "The Number"?  (Read 8601 times)

Bardo

• Stubble
Did you celebrate when you reached "The Number"?
« on: May 02, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »
After a better-than-expected April, I realized that after lo these many years I will likely hit my FI target number in a couple of months, about six months ahead of schedule.  I can't tell you how exciting this is.

So for those of you who already made it, did you celebrate on reaching the milestone?  I'm thinking of getting a big sushi dinner.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Did you celebrate when you reached "The Number"?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:47:49 AM »
We haven't reached our FI number yet, but we decided to celebrate when we got our mortgage paid off. We're celebrating by using a couple mortgage payments (to ourselves) to take a multi-state road trip and seeing a bunch of internet friends that we've never seen before.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »
I was having dinner with my Wife and she was debating whether she should order a margarita...

So I said "well we are millionairs"... She almost gagged (this seems way too decadent to her "poor thinking of herself").. Needless to say she had NO idea we had anything like that kind of money.

Of course I found this highly amusing..:)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:43:02 AM by Exflyboy »

lagniappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 06:12:09 AM »
I celebrated in many ways, large and small.  I went for lunch with a trusted friend, then made a (small) purchase of a collectors item I had been delaying for years.  My friend pointed out that it was less than 0.01% of my net worth, so why delay any further.

My real celebration was a couple of months later, when I told my boss I would no longer be working there.  I took a celebratory drive to the beach, had a lovely glass of champagne, and smiled all day.  That was the best!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:12:55 AM »
If/when I hit, I damn sure will celebrate!  On pace to hit it sometime within 3-5 years, depending on the rate of return (5%-7%).  Probably just take the wife out for a nice dinner somewhere, maybe a weekend in NYC.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:36:39 AM »
No we never celebrated. It was a plan and just kinda got to it and was another day. The celebration is each day not having to deal with the bs.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 08:26:49 AM »
Just a coincidence, but we hit barebones FI the day before a two week vacation.  Made the vacation feel a bit like a celebration! 

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:51:10 AM »
Not really.  I was too wrapped up in plans to bail on my career and all the emotional baggage that went with that, adjusting to a new lifestyle, etc.  Now when DW occasionally says "we can't afford *whatever*" I remind her we are millionaires and can do what we like.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 01:39:17 PM »
I got married. Loving life more than ever now. Every day starts with a smile. Sappy, but 100% true.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 01:48:25 PM »
Our "number" came at a time when I was very sick. I didn't believe it, it actually flirted with me for 6 months until this year when it finally locked in and I don't believe it will drop below that magic number unless something really bad happens with a rental or the stock market. I did have major surgery and am 5 months post op feeling AWESOME. Still haven't done anything celebratory yet because I am now in OMY mode for another 1.5 years. If I was still unwell, the path would have been very different (think SSDI) So I am thrilled to be physically able to work again and hope that it tempers my wish to no longer work for the man. At least right now I am physically able to work and not be in pain, I am relishing in that.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 02:52:23 PM »
We hit our number 3/18. I celebrated by taking a snapshot of our personal capital account. I didn't know how long it would last, so I didn't want to celebrate prematurely.  We're actually a year ahead of schedule, which gives us some time to save a little more before my husband retires next year.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 04:37:17 PM »
If you celebrate hard enough you can repeat the celebration ever few months ;)

Lukim

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 06:04:48 PM »
I just set another higher number and went back to work, then when I reached that I set another higher number and I am still at work.

The number is one thing, changing the mind set is another.

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »
Our "number" came at a time when I was very sick. I didn't believe it, it actually flirted with me for 6 months until this year when it finally locked in and I don't believe it will drop below that magic number unless something really bad happens with a rental or the stock market. I did have major surgery and am 5 months post op feeling AWESOME. Still haven't done anything celebratory yet because I am now in OMY mode for another 1.5 years. If I was still unwell, the path would have been very different (think SSDI) So I am thrilled to be physically able to work again and hope that it tempers my wish to no longer work for the man. At least right now I am physically able to work and not be in pain, I am relishing in that.

Congratulations on your successful surgery, recovery and being able to continue to work.  All the money in the world isn't useful without the health to enjoy it.  Congrats too on hitting your number as that gives you the cushion to stop work when it feels right.

pom

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 04:25:12 AM »
Glass of champagne for my wife and I, that was it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 07:28:50 AM »
If you celebrate hard enough you can repeat the celebration ever few months ;)

Excellent reasoning!

So far our biggest milestone was making the transition to me being SAH full time. Just about every weekend has been a "celebration" of sorts because we are able to get out and enjoy so much more about life now that I'm not stuck out of the house on weekends.

When we actually hit our real number, though, damn sure we're going to celebrate.

Carolina on My Mind

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »
I got married. Loving life more than ever now. Every day starts with a smile. Sappy, but 100% true.

How funny -- that's how I celebrated too!  :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 09:48:41 AM »
We didn't have a "number," so nothing to celebrate there, but we did go out for dinner when we hit 1MM, and we'll probably go out for a mini-celebration when we FIRE.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Maxman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 07:08:46 PM »
Sold my business and worked for the new owner for five years. He did not renew my contract so I retired at 56 years old. I did not celebrate because I wanted to work till 59.5. All in all it's been a good ride retiring early, but money is tight until we turn 62 in 12 months. This forum makes frugality a pleasure. It's been a wonderful find.

So I think we will celebrate next May and take a long awaited vacation.

k290

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 02:48:05 AM »
My real celebration was a couple of months later, when I told my boss I would no longer be working there.  I took a celebratory drive to the beach, had a lovely glass of champagne, and smiled all day.  That was the best!

When I read that I thought that is exactly what I'm going to do when I get there. Its about a 10 hour drive to get to the coast but it will be well worth it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 12:27:47 PM »
We hit a networth target that would realistically allow us to FIRE some time ago, but am having trouble 1) convincing DH to stop working and 2) convincing him to see our apartment and leave Beijing.  I hope that those two things will happen within a year.  Plan to celebrate with a major trip of some sort when they do.  We have more than enough to afford it, especially once the apartment is sold.

Oh, and I quit my job recently and most likely won't go back to full time work again.  So that is probably the best type of celebration you can have!

Is your signature out of date then?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 10:50:02 PM »
Rather than celebrate one magic number, we have celebrated various milestones as we have reached them. Hit 1mm in the ira's last week... Ordered pizza and toasted with a nice IPA. When we realized our real estate was worth a lot more than we thought, we celebrated with pizza and a nice wheat beer. When we reach a net worth of 2 mm we will end the jobs and celebrate with.... Maybe a pizza and a tequila.  Fire date is coming. We will celebrate with champagne and....maybe a pizza. I can't wait!