Author Topic: Did you "finish strong" or "coast" through your last 6 months of work?  (Read 16319 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
I'm finding that it is difficult to stay motivated with the end in sight...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:15:02 PM by So Close »

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Did you "finish strong" or "coast" through your last months?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
Me too.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »
Just for clarity: do you mean effort at work or motivation in savings rate? And how close to the end?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:14:33 PM »
Just for clarity: do you mean effort at work or motivation in savings rate? And how close to the end?

Sorry for the lack of clarity.  Let's say your last 6 months at work.  Title amended to reflect.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:19:22 PM by So Close »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Did you "finish strong" or "coast" through your last 6 months of work?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 12:22:52 PM »
Hardest thing ever.

Thankfully I went into work like Jan 2nd and I only had to work another few days.. I thought I was going to be stuck there till April/May.

So between the time I decided I was done and  leaving was about a month or so.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 12:24:19 PM »
Had no choice but to "finish strong". Starting to dog it in my old job would risk death or at least a serious maiming. Gave er' hell right till I left the job site for the last time.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »
I've got at least 5 years to go and I'm struggling already.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 04:19:51 PM »
I've got two and a half months to go and I am mostly "finishing strong" in that I'm as dedicated to my students as ever, but I've taken two sick days to avoid PD Day bullshit. 

When my son was trying to convince me not to quit, he said, "You don't have to be such a good teacher.  Just half ass it."  Uh no.  I care too much about my students for that.  As for PD...

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
I gave my firm a long lead time, so for the last quarter I was mostly handing off clients. I went to meetings to introduce and credentialize her and then sat back and watched her do an excellent job. I was on the road a lot, but it was low stress.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »
Coast. I gave my office 6 months' notice even. I didn't have to, but wanted to get it over with.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 05:03:32 PM »
Coast.  My main complaint in the last 9 months was there wasn't enough to do.  I spent a lot of time "looking busy" for a management team that felt it mattered.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 07:03:54 AM »
SIX MONTHS???!!  Holy shit, I've got 3.5 years to go and I'm already on cruise control!  That's partly because, after 18 years of doing this shit, I know what's important and what's bullshit (hint: 95% of it is bullshit), and I can do the 5% pretty much in my sleep.  I'm doing enough not to be a burden on my co-workers, who also happen to be my subordinates. But for sure my motivation is pretty low at this point.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:16:33 AM »
I've got two and a half months to go and I am mostly "finishing strong" in that I'm as dedicated to my students as ever, but I've taken two sick days to avoid PD Day bullshit. 

When my son was trying to convince me not to quit, he said, "You don't have to be such a good teacher.  Just half ass it."  Uh no.  I care too much about my students for that.  As for PD...

PD?

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 07:29:15 AM »

PD?

Probably Professional Development. I think it is called different things in different districts (I've heard staff days too), but some days when the kids are off, the teachers are still required to come in.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 07:40:47 AM »
I'm in total coast mode, trying to hang on for another 77 weeks but I'm dying. The boredom and and "looking busy" is just sucking the life out of me. I could bail in 37 weeks and that seems more appealing by the day. I don't know how people make it for extended periods like this. What do you do, surf the internet all day? Take lots of breaks? Ugh.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:35:59 AM by Mr. Green »

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »
I don't know when I will quit as I only work two half days a week. But I have lost motivations in my work. I spend a lot of time on my garden.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 11:05:01 AM »
In the last couple of years my workplace has gotten pretty crummy. (Morale is pretty low for everyone.) I'm hanging on until I can officially retire and get the retirement health and travel benefits, which as of today is just 1 year and 24 days away. I'm having incredible difficulty motivating myself to work.  I'm normally a high energy, positive person who loves working but that is no longer part of my personality. I could probably be that person again in another job and I expect to return to my normal self once I've retired and am working for myself. But for now... meh!

I spend a portion of my time everyday running the numbers to reassure myself that this is temporary and that I will soon be done. And another portion of each day is spent preparing for my future life. So far the numbers are my friends. They whisper to me that I could leave today. I am FI. I could be RE. Today. But I've committed to my husband to get the time in to receive those benefits that will make our extended future so much better. So here I am. Coasting. Praying. Running my numbers and hearing their sweet whispers.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
I have been riding the wave since I was let go at my old job in March 2007. My reputation as a no-BS, incorruptible (or so they think, I was never handed a thick envelope under the table...) environmental scientist has preceded me and allowed me to coast along without having to do much, if nothing at all. But there might be some big changes very soon, as I just learned today that a couple of very senior executives on my board have been let go, and this usually means some big changes at my level. But whatever happens will be a blessing in disguise, not a crash landing, as I have been in a one-more-year mode -and terribly bored at work, for quite some time, and I was ready to pull the plug this coming spring.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »
I have about five years left and I feel like I'm coasting, but it's a struggle some days.

In defense of "coasting"... let me just say that I still take great care to get my job done as required, and the longer I'm in it I also continue to try to go overboard communicating professionally with the huge number of parties that I work with.  A good portion of my job (as an accountant) is bullshit, and the longer I'm in it I've also realized what's material and what isn't.  I've definitely re-prioritized what I futz around with, and stuff that's less material will only get futzed with quarterly or annually -- so this judgement has made me more efficient at work.  So, I think what's perceived as "coasting" sometimes really has more to do with the fact that you've mastered huge chunks of a repetitive job and you're quite competent at it.  I try to look at it like the company is benefiting from my experience and reliability which has been garnered over a long period of time.  I'm starting to document key aspects of my job in "real time" so that in a few years I can hopefully have a clean exit.  This has been an eye-opener, because I remember learning aspects of the job that used to be much more time-consuming and difficult.  Now as I document them I'm aware that I have learned a lot, and that a monkey couldn't do my job.  I hope to be helpful to the next person, but I won't go overboard and hand it to them on a platter when I leave either.  My analogy is that it's like teaching someone to make spaghetti:  I can teach them what "al dente" means and how to make a good fresh sauce, but if I have to tell them to take out the pan and boil water then that's their problem.

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
A bit of both.  In the last 3 to 6 months before I left I knew I was leaving but did not give more than 2 weeks notice.  I stopped doing all the bullcrap busy work, continuing ed, looking busy, etc.  I came in when I felt like it and left early when I felt like it.  However, I also had a specific slate of things I wanted to accomplish and knowledge I wanted to pass on so that the program I had set up could be continued and so that I wasn't leaving my coworkers in the lurch.  So I spent a fair amount of time and effort getting things sorted out and tying up loose ends, I did a bunch of brain dumps for coworkers who wanted to learn what I could pass on, and I gave a list of specialty resources and access codes to those who would have to pick up the pieces when I left.  When I finally gave noticed it was about all done and I left on good terms and had things done to my satisfaction as an ethical professional.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »

PD?

Probably Professional Development. I think it is called different things in different districts (I've heard staff days too), but some days when the kids are off, the teachers are still required to come in.

That's right!  The  bane of my existence.  Initiatives I don't agree with pushed by people I have little respect for.  Not the reason I got into teaching.  In our most recent collective agreement, we were granted one more PD Day a year.  We all groaned.  That's not what we wanted: time away from the kids to do more bullshit.   Argh.

72 more days.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »
+1

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 11:08:19 PM »
+1

We should have a thread on how to bludge and still get paid. Today I went to work for 3 hours, left to go the gym and then went home. I've answered some emails and pinged a couple of people.

I should feel bad. It'd really suck if they paid me a retrenchment package.

rob/d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Grumpy ? me ?
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 01:04:03 AM »
 It's funny really, i finished with a wimper rather than a bang .
 I only had a few months left to finish by my calcs at 51ish  and broke my arm , had 8 weeks off work , came back and just couldn't hack it .
Told my boss straight up that i have  had enough and he offered me up to a years sabatical , which i have  took.
 No fireworks or leaving party . No tears .
 Up to the busted arm i was still at 110% effort but the pressure was building still , got back to work and realised i'd  got " get it done itus ". 
 Some things happen for a reason ?

I already know i am not going back !
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:12:54 AM by rob/d »

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 03:57:56 AM »
Thanks for the link

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 08:45:25 AM »
(Not FIREd, so talking about leaving jobs in general)

When I was working for a boss from hell in a job that was making me ill, I was coasting before I'd even found a new job. I didn't respect her, the company wasn't all that, and no-one was having to pick up my slack (stuff didn't get done, but no-one suffered). I gave my four weeks notice the week before a massive event when I'd already booked three weeks' holiday. I explained she could either have no hand over or the event collapse and she should pick one. When she offered to give me two weeks' pay in exchange for working an extra week after the holiday to hand over I laughed in her face. I deleted some of the work I had done from the shared drive and my laptop because I knew it would be a pain to do again and I already had my reference letter. Good times, looking back I think I would have worked even less (and I was seriously slacking, I planned my entire wedding in work hours).

When I was leaving the Air Force I spent about six months responding to bullshit task requests with 'Nope, what are they gonna do, fire me?' And also breaking the intention of my contract by working a second job (it wasn't the letter because I was working for free in exchange for a massive sign on bonus the day after I became a civilian). I'd do the same again.

However when the funding ran out for the place I was volunteering for, I was working hard, every hour, bringing extra work home so that we could do as much as possible before the programme was culled. Again, I'd do the same thing because I'm really proud of what we achieved in that time.

When I get offered dull-sounding training or networking I only attend if I think it'll make or save me money in the next decade. (I'm including free drinks in money saved).

@Mr Green, I'd think about all the things that you can do while sitting in your chair, and looking at a first glance like work. Start a blog? Listen to podcasts, research cool places you'd like to travel. If possible try to make it productive on some level as spending the day wasting time really drags. Do you know anyone with a personal project that could use some remote assistance with? Are there any side hustles you could run from your desk without getting caught breaking your contract?

Deo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »
Wow, I have to say that I'm shocked by this thread. I'm amazed that so many people hold their employers in such low esteem.

I like to be "badass" in everything I do, and will give it my 100% up to the very last minute.

I supposed I'm very fortunate in that I like and respect everyone at my company who is in a more senior position than I.  It's probably a good thing too, as I'm only 30 and probably have another 14 years before reaching financial independence.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
Wow, I have to say that I'm shocked by this thread. I'm amazed that so many people hold their employers in such low esteem.

I like to be "badass" in everything I do, and will give it my 100% up to the very last minute.

I supposed I'm very fortunate in that I like and respect everyone at my company who is in a more senior position than I.  It's probably a good thing too, as I'm only 30 and probably have another 14 years before reaching financial independence.
It's a two way street. I would love to give 100% all the time. However, I have learned that giving 100% in a sub-par environment where the people around you are not the right people for the job and nothing is done about it because the employer just don't know how grow people is a great way to become angry and bitter. This is where the "money vs. satisfaction" internal dialogue begins for many people.

Mr Money Mutton Chops

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »

I wish I could say this surprised me.... But it really doesn't. Lots of people shouldn't be bosses.

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 01:55:47 PM »

It's a two way street. I would love to give 100% all the time. However, I have learned that giving 100% in a sub-par environment where the people around you are not the right people for the job and nothing is done about it because the employer just don't know how grow people is a great way to become angry and bitter. This is where the "money vs. satisfaction" internal dialogue begins for many people.

Definitely.  I have also had a number of jobs where the reward for working hard, caring deeply, and going the extra mile was mostly more work.  I am not dumb enough to be suckered by that kind of deal more than once.  In my last cube job they did an employee survey every two years.  The last one I was around for had record low numbers in a number of areas, so management held a bunch of conference calls to try to address some of it and hear puissant concerns.  I knew I had FU money so I spoke up to the effect that there was literally no incentive to do anything but the minimum and even small monetary rewards would make a huge difference.  The decision maker literally could not understand what I was talking about.

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »
I think there is a difference between being emotionally invested and doing a good job.

I think it's fine not to be emotionally invested at the end, but one should still do their job to a high standard and not saddle their team with a mess or unhappy customers.

I can see how motivation would wane, but hopefully your interest in being excellent does not.

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 03:01:39 PM »
I think there is a difference between being emotionally invested and doing a good job.

I think it's fine not to be emotionally invested at the end, but one should still do their job to a high standard and not saddle their team with a mess or unhappy customers.

I can see how motivation would wane, but hopefully your interest in being excellent does not.

At least for me, there is usually a big gap between "gets the job done well" and "giving my all."  An employer only gets the latter from me if they treat me well and incent me.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 06:51:49 PM »

Definitely.  I have also had a number of jobs where the reward for working hard, caring deeply, and going the extra mile was mostly more work.  I am not dumb enough to be suckered by that kind of deal more than once.  In my last cube job they did an employee survey every two years.  The last one I was around for had record low numbers in a number of areas, so management held a bunch of conference calls to try to address some of it and hear puissant concerns.  I knew I had FU money so I spoke up to the effect that there was literally no incentive to do anything but the minimum and even small monetary rewards would make a huge difference.  The decision maker literally could not understand what I was talking about.
Totally had a flashback to Office Space where Peter is meeting with the Bobs. That movie was pure genius. We all laughed our asses off while, the entire time, it was mocking our actual lives (some of us anyway).

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
Just gave my HR department a heads up today that I plan to leave in about 8 months time. I'm being so transparent about it so as to ensure they can find someone to replace me because I don't want my staff to suffer through the transition.

It's a crazy busy job, so I can't coast but I desperately want to. I'm burning out which is making my decision to leave all the easier.

Interestingly enough, the HR manager asked what I need to stay. Part time? Another location? 'Tell me and I'll try to make it happen'.

I don't think there is anything they could offer to make me stay at this stage. It seems like something has finally clicked in my brain and I'm finally on my way to FIRE at 39.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 03:37:50 AM »
Totally had a flashback to Office Space where Peter is meeting with the Bobs. That movie was pure genius. We all laughed our asses off while, the entire time, it was mocking our actual lives (some of us anyway).
You've piqued my interest in this movie, so I have added it to my watch list on Netflix. Thanks!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 04:00:53 AM »
Just gave my HR department a heads up today that I plan to leave in about 8 months time. I'm being so transparent about it so as to ensure they can find someone to replace me because I don't want my staff to suffer through the transition.

It's a crazy busy job, so I can't coast but I desperately want to. I'm burning out which is making my decision to leave all the easier.

Interestingly enough, the HR manager asked what I need to stay. Part time? Another location? 'Tell me and I'll try to make it happen'.

I don't think there is anything they could offer to make me stay at this stage. It seems like something has finally clicked in my brain and I'm finally on my way to FIRE at 39.

Congrats on making the decision. I was wondering when you'd pull the plug.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 04:29:44 AM »

With you not posting here, or on your blog, very much over the last few months, I was beginning to think you were loving your new job so much that you had stamped your FIRE out! Good to hear you are pulling the pin and proceeding as filed.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 05:29:22 AM »

With you not posting here, or on your blog, very much over the last few months, I was beginning to think you were loving your new job so much that you had stamped your FIRE out! Good to hear you are pulling the pin and proceeding as filed.

Nope. Just too darn busy! Work is consuming my life and I'm not really enjoying that aspect of it. Attended a seminar last week and it's confirmed I'm ready to go. Now I just need to work through all the paperwork!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 05:41:35 AM »

Ha. I'm planning on hanging on til I can pull a partial pension (and full medical) in 11.5 years.

Motivation is sometimes an issue, but it gets easier when I take a day off using the PTO I keep accumulating on the books. Personal life has been stressful (not MrsTX or toddlerTX thankfully) - taking a full week at Thanksgiving, two at Christmas.

I get my work done and more. I guess I'm still enthusiastic. I'm definitely enthusiastic about the actual work - it makes a difference, I'm good at it. I am often less than enthusiastic about some co-workers, bullshit policies and training, etc.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 08:20:07 AM »
I gave 6 months notice that I was quitting. I tried to maintain high standards until the end.  My duties where going to be divided among three different employees, two of which were new to our department, so I spent a lot of the last two months training my replacements.  I must have done a good job because they only called me at home 3 times after I quit (or maybe my job wasn't that important after all). It also helped that I retired at the end of the year.  The last couple weeks around Xmas are pretty slow with lots of people burning up their remaining PTO before the end of the year.  On my last day, there was almost nobody left to say goodbye to. Towards the end, I did spend a lot of time going over my spreadsheets and getting my finances, health insurance, etc.in order. I did take a lot of pleasure every time I completed some bullshit task for the last time ever.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 08:45:01 AM »
You've piqued my interest in this movie, so I have added it to my watch list on Netflix. Thanks!
You are in for a treat!

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
You are in for a treat!
Just finished watching it. I couldn't stop laughing in the first half of the movie in particular at the piss the movie was taking out of the office environment, especially those TPS reports. The bane of my existence in my last job before FIRE was having to put together a weekly report for my big boss that I knew he never read but that didn't stop my direct boss endlessly fretting over the production and formatting of said useless report each week. I can totally relate to the TPS report with cover sheet saga and thankfully never have to suffer it again!

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
You are in for a treat!
Just finished watching it. I couldn't stop laughing in the first half of the movie in particular at the piss the movie was taking out of the office environment, especially those TPS reports. The bane of my existence in my last job before FIRE was having to put together a weekly report for my big boss that I knew he never read but that didn't stop my direct boss endlessly fretting over the production and formatting of said useless report each week. I can totally relate to the TPS report with cover sheet saga and thankfully never have to suffer it again!

Just in case you didn't get the memo...

http://www.chrisglass.com/journal/downloads/TPSreport.pdf

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »

Things change in life. Employers change. We change. Everything changes. This is why having FU money is so critical. Most people want to feel passionate about their work. They don't want to be unhappy or work for people they don't respect. But sometimes that happens.

As it turns out, giving 100% to my job would actually require 100 hour weeks for no extra pay. I've reduced down to a 40 hour week and do good work while I'm there. I don't need to give over my whole life to my job.

smiller257

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Enjoys lifestyle freedom & financial independence
    • We Retired Early
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2015, 07:44:57 AM »
Yeah, I found that I coasted those last 6 months. I was too busy thinking about all the things I was going to do once I finished working.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2015, 09:13:03 AM »
Coasted, and definitely lacking in motivation for the job.

googily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm coasting, but there hasn't ever really been enough for me to do in this job for most of the past 20 years. But they value me very highly for what I do, so i just have become very adept at killing time at my desk. I kind of see "coasting" not as letting the work suffer at all, but just not caring about whether a boss might think you aren't doing enough, and not stressing about any part of your day. What's the worst that could happen, after all? If they decided to fire me I'd be thrilled. :)

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2015, 10:57:27 AM »
I wish they would fire me.  4-7 months to go - nearly zero motivation.  All the cracks are starting to show.

Until recently, I harbored a misconception that FI would turn me into a SWAMI, but my candid remarks in meetings have had the opposite effect.  I was recently asked to tone it down.  I guess I'll downshift now and coast.  This unpleasant surprise is making me count the days in near desperation.  I expected FI to have a calming effect, but I find myself experiencing impatience, agitation, and even resentment (not good, i know).  I'm trying to stick it out until we relocate at the end of the school year, but could be sooner.