Poll

Compared to pre-FIRE, how much happier are you post-FIRE?

Much less happy
4 (2.8%)
Somewhat less happy
0 (0%)
About the same
11 (7.7%)
Somewhat happier
35 (24.6%)
Much happier!
92 (64.8%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: Compared to pre-FIRE, how much happier are you post-FIRE?  (Read 61828 times)

The Pigeon

• Stubble
  • Now *I* drive the bus! *FIREd*!
Re: Compared to pre-FIRE, how much happier are you post-FIRE?
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2016, 08:47:54 PM »
Ten thousand billion percent happier.
100% I do what I want. It's almost been a year, and I've *NEVER* been bored. Actually, I'm so busy now that I wonder how I ever managed to work a full-time job. I'm a musician, and now I can spend as much time as I want on improving my skills, or learning songs, or writing music.

Anyway. I can't imagine anyone being unhappy in FIRE.

Every time I'm out and about and see employees and bosses, I just think about how I couldn't stand to go back to that ever again. UGH!

No one tells the Pigeon what to do!

Coo! Coo! Coo!

-The Pigeon

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »
100% I do what I want. It's almost been a year, and I've *NEVER* been bored. Actually, I'm so busy now that I wonder how I ever managed to work a full-time job. I'm a musician, and now I can spend as much time as I want on improving my skills, or learning songs, or writing music.

Every time I'm out and about and see employees and bosses, I just think about how I couldn't stand to go back to that ever again. UGH!

Coo! Coo! Coo!

-The Pigeon

To me, this highlights the fact that people shouldn't ER expecting to 'go back to work if they have to'.  Nope, ride that job into ER and then burn the idea that you'll do a little more work sometime when you're older. 

Also, I think people that hated their jobs will enjoy retirement substantially more than I will, although I'll still enjoy it quite a lot when I feel that the 'trade-off' is right.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2016, 11:34:15 AM »

Coo! Coo! Coo!

-The Pigeon
To me, this highlights the fact that people shouldn't ER expecting to 'go back to work if they have to'.  Nope, ride that job into ER and then burn the idea that you'll do a little more work sometime when you're older. 

Also, I think people that hated their jobs will enjoy retirement substantially more than I will, although I'll still enjoy it quite a lot when I feel that the 'trade-off' is right.

I loved my job. I love FIRE even more.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2016, 10:54:08 PM »
I'm in the ten thousand billion percent happier club.  :)
4 months into an endless weekend and loving it.
I hated my job but now I can't really even imagine taking a job I like - it's that thing about them expecting you to show up, like everyday...  ;)

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2016, 07:17:19 PM »
100% I do what I want. It's almost been a year, and I've *NEVER* been bored. Actually, I'm so busy now that I wonder how I ever managed to work a full-time job... Every time I'm out and about and see employees and bosses, I just think about how I couldn't stand to go back to that ever again. UGH!

This. 100% this. I have been so busy this past year that I have no idea how I ever worked a full-time job. I know I did, I just cannot fathom HOW. Fortunately, my mom and stepdad retired the same year DH and I achieved FIRE, so now we can all be irritating and marvel to each other that we don't know how we ever managed to work. ;)

Like you, I live in San Francisco, and occasionally (rarely) have found myself downtown during a weekday, and oh, my heart breaks for everyone: all the clusters of upset coworkers, getting yet another coffee to escape the office hell, complaining about their (justifiably horrible sounding) bosses; the awkward "one on one" meetings with managers and their direct reports; the commuting hell. I would have to be starving to go back to that.

Lake161

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2016, 08:37:07 AM »
I didn't realize how stressful my job had become until I left it behind. I'm just wrapping up my first year post-FIRE and couldn't be happier. I took a full year to just explore new places and study random topics. I think in year two I will try to get a little more involved in the community, but I've loved having a year with no responsibilities.

montanan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »
I am much more relaxed, even my wife noticed a big difference in me. 

We are extreme DIY's so we basically work for ourselves.  So I don't feel bored and anything like that.  I am lazy though & will put off any chore to hit the road or whatever.

I am 49 and my wife is 32.  We do not fit into anyones group so we are mostly loners.  We split our time evenly between AZ and MT.  Most snowbirds don't want anything to do with us in AZ.  In MT we have family & a couple of friends although they have kids,  school activities, jobs, etc. so we don't hang with them much.  Just stuff we have experienced, but we wouldn't change anything at all.  We have been fully retired for two years.

azure975

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
There is another thread going on about whether FIRE is subject to hedonic adaptation:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/if-hedonic-adaptation-exists-what's-the-point-of-early-retirement/

For those who indicated that they are happier after FIRE, do you feel like it is something you will eventually adapt to, or do you feel like it has resulted in a real, permanent change to your happiness level?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:52:44 PM by azure975 »

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2016, 08:57:05 AM »
Well I really hope I don't just adapt!  I was thinking about this recently and wondering if I'm just in the honeymoon phase  (4 months free).  I think my happiness comes from a heightened awareness now that I'm not in drone mode.  I have such gratitude and appreciation for all the good things in my life.  I just enjoy everything more, from that cup of tea to the walk in the forest - it's like I just NOTICE everything more.  Another big part is that I get to decide when and what I'm going to do each day so I always 'feel like' doing what I'm doing, instead of 'having to' do something, if that makes sense?  The fun stuff is obvious but even the chores are easy.  I might decide that today is a great day to hang the clothes on the line or it's a nice day to bike to the grocery store.  I have the time and flexibility rather than having to do the laundry and groceries around a work schedule.  Or I can just blow the chores off if an unexpected invite comes along - because I feel like I have all the time in the world!  And not only have I gained the physical hours of my week back, but I have gained the mental freedom from thinking about my job.  That’s priceless!
I think it is a permanent change because I am now in control of my time.  If I find that I am less happy - then I am free to make changes.  I'm free to do what I want, when I want.  What could be better than that?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »
It really is a gift to be able to choose what you want to do each day.  I invited a group of friends from HS to come visit with their spouses for a week. They will be here tomorrow from all over the country.  If I was still working f.t. I would not have been able to do this. It has been so fun to plan, cook, clean and get everything ready for them.  WE have been semi-retired for 4 years now and it still feels good.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »
Does FIRE also improve one's positive empathy?

I would suspect it does.  Being at or very near FI, I have become far more happy for other peoples accomplishments and goals.

I was more competitive and petty when hearing others' good news in the past.  I always had the black cloud of needing a steady paycheck hovering over me.  That seemed to dampen my ability to be as positive for others' success as I could have been.

When the lever flipped to work becoming optional or simply as a means to reduce RE risk, I suddenly started being less of a jerk so to speak.  (I'm still part jerk so no worries there)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »
I loved my job. I thought I would miss it - the interactions, the teamwork in achieving things you couldn't achieve alone...

I am much much happier now, and like others, I am happier every day. The other day we were driving somewhere, and I couldn't believe the traffic. Then I noticed that it was 5:30pm, and the traffic was normal peak hour, and I thought how happy I was that I didn't have to contend with this each day. Those sorts of thoughts come up each day - seeing a flock of King Parrots during the day, not having to drag oneself to work when you are not feeling the best. Being able to sleep in if you want to. All these things bring happiness because life is infinitely more pleasurable.

And I have been retired for more than a few years now.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
It's clear to me that all of my mental health issues were work related.  I absolutely love my life now and wake up excited every day.  I'm achieving my dream of being a professional student.  I was a bit worried that I would feel isolated because I am an extrovert, but nope!  I feel happy and connected the vast majority of the time.

I found the last few months before FIRE stressful, but I wouldn't change my mind one bit.

I'm just over six months in. 

Free_at_50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2016, 07:14:43 AM »
3 month update.  Just passed the MUCH MUCH Happier level and still climbing!  :)

biker77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2016, 10:22:03 PM »
6 months update

6000 km done on the road bike and 20 lbs less weight

no more stress and worries...

Every day is great...

Livingthedream2015

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2016, 11:28:55 PM »
For me personally, the worry and stress has been removed now that I know I'm financially free; that for me is a huge burden that's been lifted off my mind and means I can relax and enjoy life.

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2016, 01:49:08 PM »
Oh man this thread makes me want to FIRE so bad... lol

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »
One thing I love is not having to set an alarm anymore or going into work when you don't feel well but are not deathly sick.  Also that feeling that although not sick you just need a mental health day so no one dies:))  All that kind of stress is gone.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2016, 04:29:34 AM »
One thing I love is not having to set an alarm anymore or going into work when you don't feel well but are not deathly sick.  Also that feeling that although not sick you just need a mental health day so no one dies:))  All that kind of stress is gone.

Ugh. I can't imagine how hard it must be for people that have to set alarms everyday to get up out of bed. I'm convinced its a sign of severe sleep deprivation.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2016, 01:53:10 AM »
Not only is that horrible Sunday night letdown gone, but recently I've noticed that I now like weekdays better than weekends. There are less people to compete with if you have to do any kind of errand.

This is after years of Friday afternoon giddiness anticipating the weekend. And a THREE DAY WEEKEND - well that was heaven. It's a strange post-retirement world.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
I've been free 6.5 weeks and it's been like a light switch. I've always been a happy person outside of work but most of my days at work were filled with boredom and my personality can't handle boredom. Ironically, most days since quitting I've just been sitting at home, yet it's still infinitely better than work. I'm about to start building a house (which is the main reason I've been doing some waiting) so I've been reading state building codes, learning about electrical and plumbing. I've spent full days reading, I've watched TV when I've wanted to. I go for walks or run whenever I feel like it. Already, I'm losing track of the days because there's nothing that usually requires me to know what day it is. It's literally a completely different life, like the work Mr. Green has been replaced by a leisure Mr. Green. Here in another week or two I'll be starting a period of long, intense physical labor for days on end. I'm really looking forward to it.

The oddest thing that I've noticed so far is that I'm waking up naturally, earlier than when I did when I went to work. Without an alarm it would be between 8 and 9 AM when I would wake up before. Now it's rare that I wake up after 8 and it's usually closer to 7 AM, just after my wife walks out the door.

The only stress in my life is all the new stuff I have to learn for building this house. One thing I still need to figure out is exercise. I need to develop a habit of doing something every day. Now that there are no requirements of my time I have no excuse not to, and I have a rower so I can't even use dangerously high heat as a reason not to get my heart rate up.

Retirement has been everything I thought it could be so far, and I know that I'm barely touching the tip of the iceberg since I'm still hamstrung a bit by the fact that we're moving to another state but I have to build the house first.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:58:40 AM by Mr. Green »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2016, 07:34:38 PM »
The only stress in my life is all the new stuff I have to learn for building this house. One thing I still need to figure out is exercise. I need to develop a habit of doing something every day. Now that there are no requirements of my time I have no excuse not to, and I have a rower so I can't even use dangerously high heat as a reason not to get my heart rate up.

Retirement has been everything I thought it could be so far, and I know that I'm barely touching the tip of the iceberg since I'm still hamstrung a bit by the fact that we're moving to another state but I have to build the house first.

Wait. House building to commence in a week or two. And you're worried about exercise? Relax. Your exercise worries are about to resolve themselves for at least the next couple of years.

Source: have built one.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2016, 11:35:23 AM »
Wait. House building to commence in a week or two. And you're worried about exercise? Relax. Your exercise worries are about to resolve themselves for at least the next couple of years.

Right? Also the stress level with not likely drop until it's built; just the source changes. Constantly. Having been in the same situation, an exercise regime that does not involve moving dozens of 2x4's multiple times or hoisting 70lb sheets of 'rock above your head may help reduce the effects of the stress. Good luck!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »

Right? Also the stress level with not likely drop until it's built; just the source changes. Constantly. Having been in the same situation, an exercise regime that does not involve moving dozens of 2x4's multiple times or hoisting 70lb sheets of 'rock above your head may help reduce the effects of the stress. Good luck!
I keep reminding myself not to get too worked up over any of it. When I have a project like this I tend to focus on it with great intensity. I must remember to relax!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »
As predicted, the amazing post fire experiences are starting to pile up and memories are being made. When compared to the monotony of office life, I'm no doubt happier. Still can't relax though, I'm pretty much in overdrive trying to make up for 12 years at a desk.  Maybe this winter;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:54:23 PM by Gone Fishing »

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2016, 05:32:10 PM »
Very. Extremely.  Our favorite phrase:  "Living the Dream!"  :-)

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2016, 05:19:36 AM »
Haven't used an alarm in 3 months, surf and read all day instead of playing with meaningless spreadsheets in an office, spend way more time with the wife and kids and go on crazy adventures together... What's not to love?

Yes, I voted much happier.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2016, 07:36:41 AM »
Posting for doses of happy motivation. Love this thread.

Bolshevik Artizan

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »
I am not FIRE but I wanted to offer some insight.

I have been, 2 times in my life, able to stop working for an extended period of time.  These were temporary situations.

Both times, I went in to big depression. The problem I found, was that I had nothing to do.

In my mind, and this may go against the grain here, I never want to retire.  I always want to work at least part time until I die.  I never want to work full time for life mind you.  But I never want to be completely without a job to go to.  I find it keeps me grounded in real world life.  When you have no anchor to the normal heart-beat of the rest of the world, it seems I was lost and alone.  Maybe cause I am single as well.

I wish there was a method for FIRE that included working your whole life.  I'd rather not FIRE and instead, do a half FIRE.  Instead of building u a huge nest - egg that FIRES me (trading huge amounts of labor to get there), I'd rather start working part time now and do so for life.

Thanks for a very interesting post. I'm in a different situation, and so far things are working out. I DO work part time - maybe 15-20 hours a week - as a freelance writer for newspapers and corporates, and then write fiction for another 2-3 hours a day. Plus I have my son to look after, am a member of a soccer team, and have made friends with a lot of retired/semi-retired/full time artist folks in their 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

I would like to add two things to the discussion as follows: firstly, and this is personal, the only thing I've not enjoyed about the last year has been the (relatively) restricted access to cash compared to when, as a couple, we earned 3x as much as we now have in income. I have an aversion to touching my stash, you see, which makes me even more mustachian. But that capacity to just say screw it and order in a bottle of wine and a pizza because you're feeling lazy/tired is precious.

The second thing I want to add is how quickly one forgets the boredom, inanity, stupidity and politics of working life. It's all too easy to look at the money given by jobs and forget the 20+ years in a cubicle (in my case) which led to the decision to FIRE. From the outside, many day jobs look comfortable, pensioned, etc etc and relatively easy to accomplish. It was, in the main, the spirit-crushing BOREDOM of them that I found, er, diffcult.

BA

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2016, 02:31:20 PM »

I have been, 2 times in my life, able to stop working for an extended period of time.  These were temporary situations.

Both times, I went in to big depression. The problem I found, was that I had nothing to do.

In my mind, and this may go against the grain here, I never want to retire.  I always want to work at least part time until I die.  I never want to work full time for life mind you.  But I never want to be completely without a job to go to.  I find it keeps me grounded in real world life.  When you have no anchor to the normal heart-beat of the rest of the world, it seems I was lost and alone.  Maybe cause I am single as well.

I wish there was a method for FIRE that included working your whole life.  I'd rather not FIRE and instead, do a half FIRE.  Instead of building u a huge nest - egg that FIRES me (trading huge amounts of labor to get there), I'd rather start working part time now and do so for life.

Thanks for a very interesting post. I'm in a different situation, and so far things are working out. I DO work part time - maybe 15-20 hours a week - as a freelance writer for newspapers and corporates, and then write fiction for another 2-3 hours a day. Plus I have my son to look after, am a member of a soccer team, and have made friends with a lot of retired/semi-retired/full time artist folks in their 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

I would like to add two things to the discussion as follows: firstly, and this is personal, the only thing I've not enjoyed about the last year has been the (relatively) restricted access to cash compared to when, as a couple, we earned 3x as much as we now have in income. I have an aversion to touching my stash, you see, which makes me even more mustachian. But that capacity to just say screw it and order in a bottle of wine and a pizza because you're feeling lazy/tired is precious.

The second thing I want to add is how quickly one forgets the boredom, inanity, stupidity and politics of working life. It's all too easy to look at the money given by jobs and forget the 20+ years in a cubicle (in my case) which led to the decision to FIRE. From the outside, many day jobs look comfortable, pensioned, etc etc and relatively easy to accomplish. It was, in the main, the spirit-crushing BOREDOM of them that I found, er, diffcult.

BA

Yes, I can relate to the down side of not working. I do feel isolated sometimes in retirement, which is why I'm semi retired. First and foremost I wanted the ability to do things that don't necessarily make money, but that keep me socially and mentally active. So, my part time gig addresses that.

Second, I'm finding a new downside to retirement or semi retirement, that will most likely pass, but is a bit hard to get used to. A lot of friends just don't get it. Some do, or don't care, or are happy for us, but others are really, really hung up on it. Even after I have explained the situation as best as I can without giving them financial details, they still ask if DH or I have a job yet, and are we looking, aren't we bored, etc etc. I sense part confusion, part jealousy. Every time - no, we are not bored, no, we are not looking, we are fine, semi retired, yadda yadda. Not a huge deal but it does get a bit annoying - like we are just too different, and they can't get over this difference in lifestyle, or maybe they were mostly friends with the miserable workaholic side of our selves, which is thankfully gone. All this to say, that it's sad to let go of friendships.

Otherwise we are definitely happier than before!

Free_at_50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2016, 06:03:04 AM »
Just checking in since it's been almost a year..  Still much much happier!  Just a note to the post above.  One reason I think I don't miss working is that I moved to a community that is largely retirees.  There are many many things going on here to keep one occupied.  If I had retired in the home/location I lived when I worked I could see myself getting totally bored.  Cheers!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2016, 08:50:39 AM »
2.5 years away from FIRE now and it seems like an eternity to go!  So psyched to see the overwhelming number of people in the happier/much happier camp.

lordmetroid

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »

Both times, I went in to big depression.
Me too, I have had extended time periods of unemployment. They both ended up with me going into depression because of the lack of any meaning.

I tried making myself do something. Like, I made up plans that tomorrow I am going to do X. Then when I woke up the next day I simply felt like surfing the internet and taking naps on the sofa was more appealing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:46:17 PM by lordmetroid »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2016, 03:49:51 PM »
Just checking in since it's been almost a year..  Still much much happier!  Just a note to the post above.  One reason I think I don't miss working is that I moved to a community that is largely retirees.  There are many many things going on here to keep one occupied.  If I had retired in the home/location I lived when I worked I could see myself getting totally bored.  Cheers!

Congrats on the upcoming anniversary! 

Where one lives in FIRE is as important as where one lives when working - and those two areas are probably not the same for most people.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2016, 04:37:36 PM »
Donuts: we lost a couple of friendships over jealousy when we semi-retired at 53 & 58 even though we had been talking about it for years and we have pensions.   WE have many of the same friends and have made some new friends too. The friends we lost openly disagreed with our choices to downsize our home while they bought a big, new house in their late 60's, etc.  We kept our mouths shut about their decisions but in the end I wasn't enjoying the friendships and dropped them.

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »
This is an extremely motivating thread. Thanks for all who have contributed. We're likely 4-5 years from FI at our current location, but we're considering part-time work for the last few years to make the transition easier, or perhaps part time work will become the norm so we have that extra cash or buffer we may want.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2016, 09:27:15 PM »
One month check-in for posterity, and I would say: relatively same level of happiness, slightly more relaxed.
Not sure, but possibly less fulfilled, that might be situation dependent, so no firm commitments on that yet :)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2016, 01:28:39 AM »
One month check-in for posterity, and I would say: relatively same level of happiness, slightly more relaxed.
Not sure, but possibly less fulfilled, that might be situation dependent, so no firm commitments on that yet :)
The first six months to a year are the adjustment period. It strikes people differently. Give it time.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2016, 06:55:28 PM »
The first six months to a year are the adjustment period. It strikes people differently. Give it time.

I expect as much. I should add, my answer doesn't mean I am unhappy now. I was quite happy before, and am quite happy now, though I find there is a lot more up and down in my days.. it was more even level of happiness before.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2016, 07:04:04 AM »
We met with a friend yesterday who early retired normally, because he worked in the military where they retire 10 years earlier than normally. He said he was banging his head against the walls after 6 months. Now he has taken a new job in a bicycle store, as cycling is one of his hobbies. He is working more than 100% there and not making a lot of money. But he is again enjoying himself. It may have played a role that his wife has not yet retired.

aGracefulStomp

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2016, 05:57:38 PM »
Oh man this thread makes me want to FIRE so bad... lol

agreed!!!

Larsg

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2017, 01:53:51 AM »
I find it interesting how often executives and other high-powered professionals have a hard time retiring. I've seen that at my old workplaces as well...old guys who come back a few months after retirement because they have nothing else to do.

This is because many of the high powered have huge egos that are fed by not just the large salaries but all those around them that are forced to fawn all over them for the same. If they are liked, they get more of that. If they are unliked, the ego feed may be fake but if they are narcissistic, then they won't recognize or care about that part.

I can't see people with large egos that need to be stroked being happy in retirement unless they can find a feedback loop that will fawn all over them again. That is why those of us that want to retire are happy because we have escaped these people and those that don't really want to wind up being miserable, especially if they can't find people on the same wave length to share their misery.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2017, 05:06:44 AM »
I see it's been 18 months since I last replied. Dec. 5 will be my five year FIRE-versary. Yup, still immeasurably happier. My goal was to be able to say "I don't know how I ever had time to work" as soon after retirement as possible. Check.

Very rarely now, but occasionally I get a call from a clueless former customer seeking business information. Such a cheap thrill to say, "Sorry, I retired X number of years ago."

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2017, 10:18:43 AM »
FIRE'd July 2015.  Aside from several months dealing with a family illness/death* I find myself thinking "Goddamn, life is awesome!" at least once a day.

*FIRE also enabled me to spend lots of time with family during a bad stretch of time.  Yes, FMLA would have made this work as well, but it was just easier and without emotional work strings pulling on me.

+1 - even on spending time with ill parents, but thankfully they are okay for now. Sorry about your loss, but understand how thankful you likely are to have had that time to spend with them.

stashing_it

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2017, 01:41:37 AM »
I wake up each day happier than the one before. But I also did that before I retired. Life gets better and better everyday. I can't imagine being happier than I am now, but know that in the future I will be. It's a great to be FIRED, but happiness is separate from financial state.

So is today the happiest day of your life ?

The Pigeon

• Stubble
  • Now *I* drive the bus! *FIREd*!
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2017, 10:03:30 PM »
Gosh, I can't believe it's been 1.5 years since I replied to this thread. Whoo, I've been SOOO busy.

FIRE has given me the opportunity to enroll in college to study jazz music, and I've now completed my third semester. Although the classes, homework and practice can be quite difficult and challenging, and I *do* sometimes have to wake up to an alarm clock and hustle to class, I am *so* much happier engrossed in the study of something I am passionate about. Also my skills and knowledge have advanced so much faster in full-time study than could have ever happened with a once-a-week private lesson (which was the only option I had when I was working).

I still maintain that I am ten thousand billion percent happier. Once in a while I think about "hmmm, maybe you should consider a job again," but then I remember bosses, and dumb rules, and customers, and deadlines, and phones, and schedules, and being told 'no' you can't have that day off, and realize that--nope--I don't ever want to do that sh*t again.

Yep. Things are better on this side of the "desk."

-The Pigeon. Life's better when *you* drive the bus.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2017, 10:59:08 PM »
4 months in. I'm happier for sure, but I still have a few stressy loose ends to tie up before I will feel the sense freedom I desire. Also I still don't have near enough time to do all the things I want to do, and I guess I haven't decompressed enough yet to convince myself that there's no rush.

I'm curios to hear from more people who commented before when they had recently FIREd with any updates regarding:

For those who indicated that they are happier after FIRE, do you feel like it is something you will eventually adapt to, or do you feel like it has resulted in a real, permanent change to your happiness level?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:38 AM »
4 months in. I'm happier for sure, but I still have a few stressy loose ends to tie up before I will feel the sense freedom I desire. Also I still don't have near enough time to do all the things I want to do, and I guess I haven't decompressed enough yet to convince myself that there's no rush.

I'm curios to hear from more people who commented before when they had recently FIREd with any updates regarding:

Wouldn't a great lack of stress automatically mean being more happy? At least it should mean being more healthy, because permanent stress is not good for your health.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »

Wouldn't a great lack of stress automatically mean being more happy? At least it should mean being more healthy, because permanent stress is not good for your health.

That's what I believe. :)
I feel happier just visualizing the day when my stressy loose ends will be dealt with.
I also realize that when I got rid of my top stress (having to work) the second highest stress (rental house) because the new top. When I sell the rental house will there be another new highest stress thing for me to worry about and that will cause me to be less happy than I could be? It feels like more of a character flaw in my case than any real reasons to be less happy/more stressy. However with each step I AM more happy, so I'll roll with it for now.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2017, 11:32:12 AM »
<...>

That's what I believe. :)
I feel happier just visualizing the day when my stressy loose ends will be dealt with.
I also realize that when I got rid of my top stress (having to work) the second highest stress (rental house) because the new top. When I sell the rental house will there be another new highest stress thing for me to worry about and that will cause me to be less happy than I could be? It feels like more of a character flaw in my case than any real reasons to be less happy/more stressy. However with each step I AM more happy, so I'll roll with it for now.

Currently I experience stress from:
Work, for several reasons.
The house we bought is not in perfect state as it was supposed to be. We need to go to court for this.
I am now chairman of our private road. We get so much shit in form of neighbouring twists.
We have very steep roads to our house. They cause an amount of stress.
Winters around 0 degrees Celsius, when rain freezes on the ground.
Lack of snow during winter. Then I don't get enough exercize.

I am probably quite easily stressed.