Author Topic: At what age you are FIRE'd / planning to FIRE and when did you hear about FIRE?  (Read 29192 times)

myobjectivism

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
While going through different topics, got a thought to check the following..

1. At what age did you FIRE'd or planning to FIRE?
2. When did you hear about FIRE and started planning for it?
3. Top 3 goals

About me..

1. I am getting FIRE'd next month at the age of 43.
2. Heard about FIRE few months back (at age of 42) and by then, decision was made to retire early and inform d employer.
3. Spirituality, Health, Family (this includes time with them, travel plans with them)

Nice to see people at different ages (earliest I noticed is early 30s) getting FIRE'd with different goals. Based on when we are planning to retire, I feel immediate goals keep changing.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
FIRE'd at 32
Discovered the early retirement community in 2012 at 25
Started planning and getting serious in 2014 at 27

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
FIRE'd 47
Didn't hear about FIRE (movement) til about 2 years ago but had an idea or dream goal of age 50 being semi-retired
Goals stay healthy, travel, enjoy life but find something to occupy more time

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
I retired at 40.  I was 43 when I heard of FIRE movement (I started a blog and in my research on how to do that I stumbled across FIRE bloggerverse).  Was delighted to learn I wasn't alone.  Goals?  Stay retired.  Lose weight. 

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache

1. Recently at age 50
2. Discovered FiRE movement around 47, but had been saving my entire adult life.
3. Health, Family/Friends and increasing our social circle

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
1. FIRE @ 33 (2017)
2. Found ER community online @ 31 (2014)
3. Happiness, Health, No Regrets

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
I didn't FIRE until I was 54, but I was aiming for "it" for decades because...
I had cancer at 21-22 and knew I didn't want to be a work-until-65 drone...
I was striving for Early Retirement long before @2Birds1Stone and @Mr. Green were born...
I was waiting to pull the plug until 2014 when the ACA kicked in, because I was not affordably insurable otherwise...

Incredibly, I married a great guy in 2012. He loves his job and happens to have amazing healthcare, so I pulled the plug three weeks after we eloped and never looked back.

It helped that my dad retired at 50, so I knew it could be done. The difference was that my "Pops" was a retired federal employee, so he had kick-ass health insurance for the rest of his life. He lived 35+ years after retirement, rest his dearly missed soul.

chevy1956

• Bristles
1. I'm 46 and looking to retire late this year.
2. We started this path about 7 years ago. We have always been relatively frugal.
3. I don't have any goals. Maybe play more guitar and read more books.

Bettersafe

• Stubble
1.hoping to FIRE at 59 cause the kids will probably financially self depend by that time and the mortgage will be gone hopefully. Depending on DH career it might be sooner.
2. Found MMM at the beginning of this year. Due to some very harsh work-conditions I went online to see how I could retire early
3. After FIRE my goals would be gardening, traveling, giving back to community somehow.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 05:40:06 AM by Bettersafe »

Chris@TTL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Early retirement mid-pandemic
    • TicTocLife - Transitioning into Early Retirement
This month! 35. I left the 9-5 at about 28, following business pursuits but just this month my other half's plans met up with mine and...we're out!
In general, I started reading GetRichSlowly.org in 2006 just after undergrad. I followed up in 2007-08 by investing all my money in individual stocks and losing most of it. An expensive lesson.
3. Top 3 goals
  • Redefine our relationship to reflect us rather than our careers
  • We've been fortunate to travel abroad a good bit already, but haven't had enough time to steep in a culture, I'd like to see that change
  • I don't see us kicking the bucket with only a nickel to spare, and it's a goal to see the remnants offer meaning/value for those after us
FIRE offers a tremendous opportunity to clarify some of those existential questions offered up in those goals.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:58:24 PM by Chris@TTL »

LifePhaseTwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
1. FIRE’d at 54.
2. I read about FIRE a few years before that. Had always been a saver, living below my means. Could have FIRE’d sooner, but was ambivalent about my golden handcuffs...
3. More time with grandkids, more (and better) sleep, more freedom. Doing well on all 3 of these goals.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
3. Top 3 goals

1) Me at 46 and DH 49. We are FIREd since Jan 2020.
2) Maybe 12 years ago we noticed we saved a shitload of money each year by living our normal lifestyle. Then we discussed the option to retire at the age of 50, only we didn't have a clue on how much money we needed to do that. Then we forgot about it and about 5,5 years ago we spent all our savings on a clown house. Half a year later I searched on early retirement and discovered this site. Some time later I made my own excel retirement sheet and found a number. We made a plan to sell the house some years later, when we had saved up the rest of our number.
3) Being able to be in the right place at the right time and do the stuff that I want to do. Not spending all my time in an office doing work I don't really enjoy, sitting in a noisy open office, having to be in pointless meetings. Being able to go on many more and longer trips (hiking, skiing etc).

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
1.  I hope to be financially independent between 40 and 45.  I am 35.  (I could accelerate that with lifestyle changes such as moving if needed but that's not currently the plan.)
2.  I found MMM in late 2012 / early 2013.  I remember reading bogleheads in late college (2005) so savings was on my mind early.
3.  Spend time running a small business (possibly as simple as me consulting part time) and investing in real estate.  Get in fantastic shape.  Spend lots of time with friends, family, cooking, reading, hobbies. 

Basically same as now just with no mandatory meetings, no boss and an ability to just turn down crap I don't want to deal with and no expectation I'm going to be sitting in a chair 40-50 hours a week.

I may leave my job before FI since my plan involves generating income anyways but want to hit a few more financial and professional goals first. 

Edit:  Whoops, did not see this was in the post-FIRE forum.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:59:06 PM by LWYRUP »

herbgeek

• Bristles
I retired last year at 58.  I've been planning for retirement since about age 25 or so, long long before any FIRE movement.  Well, there was Your Money or Your Life, which was instrumental to me.  I had originally planned to retire by 55, but was delayed by layoffs a few times and the stock bust of 2008.  I think we could have done it sooner, but hubby is incredibly pessimistic and a worst case kind of guy.  The thing that really made it possible was a low cost ACA health insurance plan.

My goals are to continue to explore:  new ideas, new physical locations, new connections.  The physical location part is sort of on hold for the foreseeable future, and the new connections are somewhat limited, but eventually I'll get there.

myobjectivism

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Wow.. nice to read all your experiences, goals you set. Lot of learning for me few days before retiring and definitely will adjust my goals based on my learning.

I think it takes more time for me to decompress from work related things. Will go as per the flow and prioritise my goals.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
1: 64 or 65.  Real answer is "when my wife says I can".  (I'm 63)

2: 3 or 4 years ago, reading the MMM site.

3:  I'll be in what I think y'all call fat fire, maybe.  Although I plan to get random jobs doing whatever the hell I want to do, so there's going to be more income.  And my wife just got a full time job, so that money will help.  I'm a very big "safety net" guy, so I'm nearly set to withdraw 2%, ignoring social security and a small pension.  I'm also a big car guy, so I see a very NON Mustachian car in my future.  I do want to exercise more and do stuff outside more.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
I was FI at age 56 and retired early last July at age 58.

I first started thinking about early retirement in 2009 or so and came across MMM in late 2011.

My "goals" include caring for aging family members, playing hockey, hiking, and reading a lot more than I could when I was employed. Finally I expect to do some volunteer work that has some relation to the aforementioned activities.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
1. FIREd at 41 (2018)

2. Discovered FIRE community in 2017, but had been frugal all my life.  Never knew what I was supposed to do with all my extra money I was saving and people told me I was crazy to hope to retire "early" at 55....so I thought I was being ambitious already.  Once I discovered the FIRE movement and got "permission" to be more ambitious, I was like, "Ok, so I guess I can pretty much retire any time?"  So I did.

3. Do everything slower, no more rushing; do lots of very different things for fewer hours per week so I don't get sick of them and want to stop altogether (I think 7-12 hours per week for any one "thing" is my ideal); travel (this goal is...changing recently)

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
1. Our plan was to be FIREd at 29. After coronavirus -- less clear, but almost certainly by 32. Depends on our job situation.
2. I found MMM's blog when I was 20. Fortunately, when I told my then-boyfriend-now-husband about it, he got completely on board and we haven't looked back since.
3. Have as good a time at work as possible in the time we have left to do it; have our first kid in the next year or so; stay connected with friends and family.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
Read Your Money or Your Life in December 1997 while writing my dissertation (age 29) -- caught the FIRE bug and never looked back.

Graduated/started first professional job in September 1999 (age 30, barely -- my birthday is later in the Fall). 

Bought NYC apartment summer 2000 (age 31)

Had DS spring 2001.  (age 32)

Moved to China for work February 2002.  (age 33)

Sold NYC apartment for more than 2x what we paid for it spring 2003. (age 34)

Had DD early 2005. (age 36)

Quit Horrible Soul Sucking Job/moved cities/started fellowship spring 2007.  (age 38)

Started new not-soul sucking job early 2008. (age 39)

Bought fancy condo spring 2009. (age 40)

FIREd and returned to the US June 2015.  (age 46)

Sold fancy condo for roughly 3x what we paid early 2017 -- FIRE status locked in even after buying fancy US house. (age 48)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:39:31 PM by lhamo »

travel2020

• Stubble
1. In the next 2-3 years. The current coronavirus situation is a bit of an unknown as a portion of NW is tied to a small business that we were planning to sell before FIRE.

2. Probably 6-7 years ago but never really explicitly started planning. We just live below our means, save & invest the rest, and that’s about it.

3. Travel the world and live in a few different places, stay healthy, hobbies and giving back

Gardo

• Stubble
First of all, how do you define FIRE?

For me, FIRE is:

- set with my kids (no more additions and youngest past 10 years old)
- set with my house (no debt)
- set on savings to pay for expenses until ss/401K kicks in

To me that will be mid-2026, or in my early 50s.

So yes, I am going to start my sex, I mean, six year countdown starting next month. 

So the calculation of cumulative non-retirement savings is:

2020 Year End Target:  $185K  (age 48)
2021 Year End Target:  $230K  (age 49)
2022 Year End Target:  $285K  (age 50)
2023 Year End Target:  $350K  (age 51)
2024 Year End Target:  $420K  (age 52)
2025 Year End Target:  $500K  (age 53, youngest child is 10 years old, house is fully paid)

Plan A.  USA

To me, the target of  about $525K by mid-2026 at age 53 (still) is good enough for me to FIRE. From that amount, I could live off at $35K for 14 years until age 67 when SS/401K kicks in.

Plan B.  Asia

As an alternative, I can relocate in Asia mid-2026 with my youngest kid.  I would need to work for 5 years there for a simple job that pays for part of my expenses.  The other part is taking out  $10K per year for 5 years.  At night, I would do stock trading since it is daytime here in US. No conflict with work schedule there. 

2026 Year End Target:  $555K (age 54)
2027 Year End Target:  $620K (age 55)
2028 Year End Target:  $700K (age 56)
2029 Year End Target:  $785K (age 57)
2030 Year End Target:  $880K (age 58)

From 2031 onwards, I can retire and increase my COL budget to $30K per year with savings still growing each year.

2031 Year End Target:  $970K  (age 59)
2032 Year End Target:  $1,070K (millionaire at age 60)
2033 Year End Target:  $1,190K (from here on in retirement baby!  just enjoying life and spending on stuff)
2034 Year End Target:  $1,300K
2035 Year End Target:  $1,400K

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:57:09 AM by Gardo »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Planning to FIRE around 41ish.

Heard about it probably 2008-2009, didn't take much stock in it until a year later or so.

Give more of my time/resources to making my community better, keep decoupling from some negative systems in our culture, maybe start a business?, I'll add a fourth one - train an awesome pupper.

Body Surfer

• Stubble
Retired age 59 last week.

Started reading MMM 2 years ago.

We love mtn biking and trail running among other activities (body surfing).

Looking forward to the new life

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
First of all, how do you define FIRE?

For me, FIRE is:

- set with my kids (no more additions and youngest past 10 years old)
- set with my house (no debt)
- set on savings to pay for expenses until ss/401K kicks in

To me that will be mid-2026, or in my early 50s.

So yes, I am going to start my sex, I mean, six year countdown starting next month. 

So the calculation of cumulative non-retirement savings is:

2020 Year End Target:  $185K  (age 48)
2021 Year End Target:  $230K  (age 49)
2022 Year End Target:  $285K  (age 50)
2023 Year End Target:  $350K  (age 51)
2024 Year End Target:  $420K  (age 52)
2025 Year End Target:  $500K  (age 53, youngest child is 10 years old, house is fully paid)

Plan A.  USA

To me, the target of  about $525K by mid-2026 at age 53 (still) is good enough for me to FIRE. From that amount, I could live off at $35K for 14 years until age 67 when SS/401K kicks in.

Plan B.  Asia

As an alternative, I can relocate in Asia mid-2026 with my youngest kid.  I would need to work for 5 years there for a simple job that pays for part of my expenses.  The other part is taking out  $10K per year for 5 years.  At night, I would do stock trading since it is daytime here in US. No conflict with work schedule there. 

2026 Year End Target:  $555K (age 54)
2027 Year End Target:  $620K (age 55)
2028 Year End Target:  $700K (age 56)
2029 Year End Target:  $785K (age 57)
2030 Year End Target:  $880K (age 58)

From 2031 onwards, I can retire and increase my COL budget to $30K per year with savings still growing each year.

2031 Year End Target:  $970K  (age 59)
2032 Year End Target:  $1,070K (millionaire at age 60)
2033 Year End Target:  $1,190K (from here on in retirement baby!  just enjoying life and spending on stuff)
2034 Year End Target:  $1,300K
2035 Year End Target:  $1,400K

Curious as to why plan B is so radically differ from plan A.
Plan A is coasting until you reach 67.
Plan B is moving to Asia but still working and build you savings to an extraordinary amount.
Like 2 totally different mindset. Seems to me if you're going to move to Asia, you certainly can live on a lot less and still coast to 67 and still have savings left until 67.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
1. FIRED at 60.   Thought I would have to work until I dropped.
2. Heard about it at age 55.   It was a revelation.
3. Make sure our mentally disabled daughter is provided for after we're gone, make sure we're provided for while we're still here, have fun and do some good in the world.

br89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
1. Planning to FIRE whenever I have kids. So 33ish hopefully? I'm 30 now and could probably FIRE within the next two years or so

2. 24 - while googling how to escape Biglaw LOL

3. I probably won't retire in the traditional sense (I'm pretty entrepreneurial), but I want to be able to spend as much time with my friends and family as possible, travel, take care of my health (no more all-nighters!), and spend more time, money, and energy giving back to society and helping others. Basically, I want to do whatever I want haha

former player

• Walrus Stache
Retired aged 50 10 years ago, on the back of always spending less than I earned, investing in property and getting a deal from my employer to go away and stop being an annoying (elected, unpaid) union rep.
Heard about FIRE 6 years ago (when I joined this forum, wow).
Moved from the big city to the rural seaside: got a dog, got involved in local politics, did several years of caring for my elderlies.  Now still got a (nother) dog, still involved in local politics, making a garden, seeing friends (at a social distance) and spending too long on the internet.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
1. Planning to FIRE whenever I have kids. So 33ish hopefully? I'm 30 now and could probably FIRE within the next two years or so

3. I probably won't retire in the traditional sense (I'm pretty entrepreneurial), but I want to be able to spend as much time with my friends and family as possible, travel, take care of my health (no more all-nighters!), and spend more time, money, and energy giving back to society and helping others. Basically, I want to do whatever I want haha

I am a biglaw refugee.  We should start a support group, lol. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
1. Planning to FIRE in two years after my contract ends at age 41. Unless I am offered another contract  and decide to renew, in which case I’ll only be FI and not RE.

2. First read about the FIRE movement in 2015 after getting my first real job when I had lots of extra money left over each month.

3. Just one goal: Live well.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
My wife and I retired at age 55 a little more than 5 years ago.  I had a pension with an early payout option at age 55. That was my golden handcuffs, so I never really thought seriously about retiring before 55, although, in hindsight, we probably could have if we had made it a goal early on.  We always made good money and lived below our means. We planned our lives so that the mortgage would be paid off and the kids would be through college by the time we were 55.  I did not discover MMM or FIRE until about a year before I retired.  It did help us realize that we were in a good position to retire and confirmed that we had covered all the bases planning wise.
We did not have a really detailed set of goals for retirement.  We both wanted to travel, pursue our hobbies and build/maintain our relationships with friends and family. Mostly, I was just tired of working and wanted a life without being bothered by deadlines other people's needs.

xbdb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Last August at age 51.

August 16, 2015. :-) It helped me realize I was already FI, but there were some more things I wanted to do career wise before I retired. 

3. Top 3 goals

1. My health - physical and mental.
Physically, since retirement I have gotten into good shape by eating better and exercising. Mentally, that I am still working on. I was pretty happy go lucky and then the virus struck. Even though I am "ok," it's hard to watch others who are not. The world seems crazy right now, but I know that "this too shall pass."

2. Travel (obviously this is somewhat challenging at the moment). Between my retirement and the virus hitting I was able to enjoy two weeks in Key West, which is my happy place. Going to make a bee line back there once things improve.

3. Work on some projects that are of interest to me (mainly open source). The trick is to not turn that into a "job."

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
3. Work on some projects that are of interest to me (mainly open source). The trick is to not turn that into a "job."

Oh hey, you work on open source? What's that like? My spouse and I have both thought about doing open source development in retirement, but it seems tricky to get into (especially compared to working on our own random projects).

xbdb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Oh hey, you work on open source? What's that like? My spouse and I have both thought about doing open source development in retirement, but it seems tricky to get into (especially compared to working on our own random projects).

It depends if you are the project owner or not and how popular it is. If you are the owner, someone will fork your project and then send you pull requests to merge their changes. People will also submit issues and requests as well. Depending on how many of those you receive it could be a "job."

If you are a contributor then you'll be submitting the pull requests etc. -- it's pretty easy -- you just have to follow the project code of conduct and coding styles/rules.

In either case, you'll run into the random asshole who is butthurt about something. That said, it's very satisfying to contribute and give something back.

Jec418

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Are you (a slightly younger) me? I'm a new biglaw partner, but hoping to be a biglaw refugee ASAP (in 1.5-2.5 years, depending on how good next year is). Got the wrong end of some geographic arbitrage by moving to Singapore and marrying a Singaporean who isn't super keen on the American suburban lifestyle that could let us fire today. Don't get me wrong - Singapore gives us a great lifestyle and I love living here, especially with 2 young kids, but the cost of living is insane. Lobbying hard to take San Diego as an "affordable" compromise...

rmorris50

• Bristles
1. Currently 46, hope to FIRE no later than 50.
2. Don't know exactly when I heard about FIRE, but was kinda aware of it for years. Just always saved as much as possible. Became serious about it in the past couple of years when I realized I am burned out and not advancing in my career anymore.
3. Goals are to do whatever I want. Mostly personal growth (fitness, learn a language), do something to give back to family/community, and relax

It's interesting that 20 years ago I said if I had x million dollars I'd retire! Now I have x million and feel like I can't quite retire yet, but I'm close. Mainly I am very much in transition phase (moving, buying a house, spouse finishing doctorate, etc) and need to get more settled and set myself up for FIRE.

xbdb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
It's interesting that 20 years ago I said if I had x million dollars I'd retire! Now I have x million and feel like I can't quite retire yet, but I'm close. Mainly I am very much in transition phase (moving, buying a house, spouse finishing doctorate, etc) and need to get more settled and set myself up for FIRE.

I assume you're familiar with the quote on "waiting until you're ready." If you have the x million you need then you're ready. I retired at 51 and had debated doing it for a few years before I pulled the trigger. I don't regret it and wish I had done it sooner. Time is the only currency we have.

myobjectivism

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Couple of things might have happened which is normal in most of the cases..

1. Expenses and responsibilities increased and were not considered against corpus of X Million you thought earlier.
2. Not confident whether we can survive with that money rest of life.. may happen if we didn't put the numbers on paper to the detail
3. Or Doubts like whether it is too soon to pull the plug, what we will do later etc

@xbdb.. Thanks for nice words.  Time is the currency. And having time and freedom completely changed how we see and live life. Having said that, good to cross verify numbers against goals and decide.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
While going through different topics, got a thought to check the following..

3. Top 3 goals

1. FIREd at 51
2. Learned about FIRE at 45.
3a. #1 - Stop working FT because I never liked that ever.
3b. #2 - Do fun stuff I enjoy. [Biking, camping, etc...]
3c. #3 - Spend time with those I care about. [Family, friends and my cat.]

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
1.  FIREd at 51.
2.  Learned about FIRE at 46, though I was already a saver. 
3.  Goals are more time with family, my passion for farming, and travel. 

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
1. FIREd at 49.
2. I've had the concept in mind since the early '90s, when I got my first career-oriented job and quickly realized I didn't want to do that for 40+ years.  Life got in the way, though my wife and I were always frugal and kept the distant goal in mind.  Got serious about it around 2013, when the end of our kid's college was in sight and investments were recovering nicely from the Great Recession.  Pulled the trigger in January 2018.
3. Do whatever the hell I want, travel, consciously avoid being overloaded (after being overloaded pretty much every day since I got my first after-school job at age 16).

duyen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
1. Planning to FIRE in 5 years at age 45
2. Heard about FIRE through MMM website 3 years back
3. Goals are to just relax and chill. Want to rent or buy a small home with a pool. Want to float in the pool reading a book for few hours every day. Go out for coffee with DW every day. Surf laptop and watch TV and laze around in the house. Add hiking and walking to the mix

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
1) will likely FIRE around age 50, but may drop to PT only before that

2) I had known I wanted to retire early (at 60) since I was a child, but realized it could be sooner at roughly 23. Currently early 30s.

3) my postFIRE goals are garden more, pet more dogs, and to never have to sit in a conference room again

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
1) Fire'd at 50

2) Started thinking/Preparing for it 2-3 years prior

3) Get fit, watch my kids grow up and just chill more.

RainyDay

• Bristles
I'm 47 and planning to be FI at 50 and then partial-RE (work part time).

Heard about the FIRE movement Aug/Sep 2019.

Planning to do more volunteer work, more hiking/walking, and live life at a slow pace.

Chris@TTL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Early retirement mid-pandemic
    • TicTocLife - Transitioning into Early Retirement
I'm 47 and planning to be FI at 50 and then partial-RE (work part time).

Heard about the FIRE movement Aug/Sep 2019.

So about 4 years from hearing about FIRE to planning to pull the trigger towards partial RE? That's pretty good! Sounds like you were already on the path.

Congrats.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
1. Firebattical at 31, again at 33, and might be going back to work soon.

2. First heard about the idea at 12/13. It wasn't called early retirement, and there wasn't a community, just a rich dude who flung off his earthly possessions and traveled the world writing about the underground economies of the countries he visited.

Read ymoyl at 28, which led to mmm/ere/bogleheads.

3. My main goals were travel, activism, and visiting friends. They've shifted after doing that for a while. Now it's long-term relationships, mental health, and charity/activism.

woopwoop

• Bristles
FIREd at 33, went back to work part time to learn something new a couple years ago.

Heard about FIRE at age 28 or so. I'd always been a saver but this pushed me to start my own self publishing business and it went really well so I was able to retire when I had a kid a few years later.

Top 3 Goals:
- homeschool my daughter (3 yo now)
- Get my CFP and start doing pro bono financial planning work
- Finish my latest novel to give to my mom by Christmas

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles

I should be bare-bones FI by 31 (3 years). I like to work and stay busy, so will likely not retire for many years beyond that. It's the FI part of FIRE that I'm most interested in.

I had always been a big saver, but read ERE a little over a year ago which brought things into clearer focus and started to define what FIRE might look like for me.

3. Top 3 goals

Maintain a healthy physical lifestyle, maintain a healthy mental lifestyle, give back to my community.

happy

• Walrus Stache
Found ERE/MMM Dec 2011 and drank the kool-aid and committed to follow the path Jan 2012
Retired aged 60 in October 2018, 6 years and 10months later.
Top 3 goals ( what only 3?) :
-improve my physical and mental health and well being
-learn and try new things, mainly currently in relation to my homesteading lifestyle
-get out of my comfort zone and create new or re-kindle long term relationships.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!