Author Topic: Applying to Jobs, a thing I don't miss  (Read 4385 times)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
Applying to Jobs, a thing I don't miss
« on: June 21, 2021, 11:45:07 AM »
So now that people are heading back into the office some friends and colleagues of mine are starting to hunt for new jobs etc.  I get the job of hearing all about it and rooting them on without needing to actively participate!

One applied and got a shiney new job and promotion, hurray! Very outside her field of expertise, but she's a fast learner and rocks what ever she tries.

One applied, interviewed, and got turned down, within the same company.  It is a group she has been trying to jump to for several years.  Her trying to switch jobs freaked out her grandboss and it scared up a promotion.  So still kind of a win!  Hurray!

One has been told he needs to apply to his own job because they want to expand his role to do things he doesn't want to do and isn't currently qualified to do and doesn't have time to do.  I don't miss that part of the politicking and cost savings.  Very much a situation of the higher ups not really understanding the responsibilities of the people under them (and being located far away). Ugh.  He is a few years away from classic retirement and likes his current role as is.  So not sure how a win comes out of this one. 

Glad I get to stand outside of the maelstrom and wave my "you can do it" flag!  Whoo hoo!  Occasionally I get asked for advice, that's nice too. 

Anyone else seeing changes they are happy to not be a part of?

redbird

• Pencil Stache
Re: Applying to Jobs, a thing I don't miss
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 05:57:30 PM »
The only thing I miss about working is the fire hosing of more money into my savings, investments, etc. It was kind of fun and exciting to see the numbers grow.

I don't miss anything else - the work itself, working 40+ hours, the commute, the office politics... none of it.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 06:49:20 PM »
Me neither, I definitely do not miss the climbing up and constant auditioning for the next role.   

My adult daughters are both at the beginnings of their careers and are doing that active job improvement and rapid change two-step to get on their ladders and then quickly get their salaries up to a livable amount, always getting ready to step from one stone to the next one.  It brings back all kinds of memories but exactly zero nostalgia.  I am content to cheer and advise from the sidelines.     

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 07:35:38 PM »
The only thing I miss about working is the fire hosing of more money into my savings, investments, etc. It was kind of fun and exciting to see the numbers grow.

I don't miss anything else - the work itself, working 40+ hours, the commute, the office politics... none of it.

Who does not like the money deposited to your bank account regularly?

infromsea

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 08:55:52 AM »

I am not good at self promotion, that caused issues in the civilian world. In the military, you could work hard, pay attention to the culture, look ahead and see folks "stepping aside" and move up without having to be such a "self-cheerleader".   

So far, the civilian orgs I've worked with/for require a lot of "look at what I did, aren't I grand!" and not doing that has resulted in my leaving good paying gigs (being told to leave...) and other disconnects with volunteer work etc. it's a challenge, that I don't miss.

What I DO miss, the camaraderie and social interaction. The nice thing about the workplace was you could get a quick "social" fix, but you knew you were leaving at the end of the day and had lots of breaks (weekends, long holidays etc.) and  I have yet to find a similar replacement, though not from a lack of trying (to be honest, I'm a hard case...).

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 09:28:56 AM »

I am not good at self promotion, that caused issues in the civilian world. In the military, you could work hard, pay attention to the culture, look ahead and see folks "stepping aside" and move up without having to be such a "self-cheerleader".   

So far, the civilian orgs I've worked with/for require a lot of "look at what I did, aren't I grand!" and not doing that has resulted in my leaving good paying gigs (being told to leave...) and other disconnects with volunteer work etc. it's a challenge, that I don't miss.

What I DO miss, the camaraderie and social interaction. The nice thing about the workplace was you could get a quick "social" fix, but you knew you were leaving at the end of the day and had lots of breaks (weekends, long holidays etc.) and  I have yet to find a similar replacement, though not from a lack of trying (to be honest, I'm a hard case...).

You really hit some spot on things for me too. 

I was also a terrible "self -cheerleader" so my promotion track was really stunted my whole career.  The people doing work for me (I wasn't a people leader, but I had to cajole people to help me get lab work done) were always more than happy to help me since I was a good promoter of other people's work and rewarded well.  Not good for my own advancement though.  I always got the hard and terrible projects done correctly and on time though (thanks to others!).  You think management would notice, nope nope.  Oh well.  Done!  Don't miss that at all. 

I do miss some of the interaction and the organizing of smart and talented people that want to work with me to get hard projects done.  That was pretty awesome.  Filling that void has been hard, but I haven't given up yet.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 10:00:14 AM »

The US military is structured very much as an "up or out" career progression. Many companies are happy to just let you languish in a position for decades while adding responsibilities.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »
I've only had to apply for jobs four times in my life.   Didn't enjoy the process, especially when unsuccessful getting out of grad school, with an estimated 30-50 failures.

Job application successes came 3? times by replying to newspaper ads.

I looked at the self cheer-leading part of the annual review process as an exercise in creative writing.
Often my bosses would have me ghost write my review and then not bother editing it, so it sometimes was a bit "over-the-top", even though truthful.

Edit to  add examples:

Objective 2 - Accurate reporting
.... Fixed spelling for objective title (Accurate was spelled incorrectly)......
  I aid in this by on-time timesheet management.  --- yes I specifically gave myself credit for doing my timesheets.  I mean, why not :-)

Objective Title Utilization
Leach on to every charge code possible.      Ensure that B+P (Random Questions) have charge codes to go with them.

Talent Management
With new chemist R****, I actually have someone to mentor, Whohoo!!!   --- did I mention that I tried to have as much fun the creative writing in annual appraisals as possible?

Strategic Thinking
Definition: Using information from diverse and broad sources to influence and set organizational or industry direction.
1. Thinks and acts beyond boundaries of own unit.

My goal here is to bring global Foreign Owner Co/SemiBigCorp activities to the attention of the chemistry group and management as appropriate.
I get news on Foreign Owner Co. by checking on the 500 Foreign Owner Co. ADR (American Depository Receipt) shares I own.

Also, I spit back any buzzwords-du-jour that were on the review form.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 12:56:44 PM by markbike528CBX »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 06:44:28 AM »
Ugh, I also don't miss writing goals or end of the year reviews. 

Even with flowery speech anything that was our normal job responsibilities would get us a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being top performer.  And your normal job role had to be considered challenging (working towards your next promotion).  My bosses and grand-bosses wouldn't let me look too good since they could only give away so many 4s and 5s and I was not in his/her 4s and 5s buckets.  Once I realized this, it saved me a lot of time with the write ups.  They could also only give away so many promotions, and I was rarely on that list either.  I was mostly on the retain no matter what (since I really got a ton of work done) but that's about it.  Come to think of it, maybe that's why they didn't want to promote me.... :D

Loren

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 02:00:22 PM »
I still apply for jobs sometimes; I choose things that are TOTALLY outside of my expertise and sometimes even write these humorous cover letters as to why they should hire me with zero experience. I've gotten a couple of responses but no jobs not that I am upset about it; just killing time periodically while drinking morning coffee :)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 03:47:41 PM »
Okay @Rdy2Fire that's pretty funny!  Would you take the job if they offered it? How far out of your expertise? 

LV

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 08:10:28 AM »

Even with flowery speech anything that was our normal job responsibilities would get us a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being top performer.  And your normal job role had to be considered challenging (working towards your next promotion).  My bosses and grand-bosses wouldn't let me look too good since they could only give away so many 4s and 5s and I was not in his/her 4s and 5s buckets.  Once I realized this, it saved me a lot of time with the write ups.  They could also only give away so many promotions, and I was rarely on that list either.  I was mostly on the retain no matter what (since I really got a ton of work done) but that's about it.  Come to think of it, maybe that's why they didn't want to promote me.... :D

Loren

I hated reviews, receiving and eventually giving them as a boss.  It was a 2x yearly puppet show as an employee and a marathon of exhaustion as a boss.  Blech.  I am so glad I never have to give nor receive another one.     

After college my first boss (a VP level guy, slick and 100% talent-free) refused to give high marks on reviews.  His stated reason was that if an employee was "exceeding requirements" then he simply was not giving them enough of a challenge.  Clearly it never occurred to him that #1, he wasn't giving enough of a challenge to someone and they were in fact exceeding and could use new targets to do more, #2 there is a terrible psychological impact of telling your staff they will only ever hit the middle (so why put in extra effort).  He was a useless fool and was eventually fired. 

He put me down for a reference for his next job because I was young and grateful for my first job out of college so he figured I would schmooze right and proper.  I gave a completely honest and accurate verbal reference over the phone-- I was very kind and cheerful and enthusiastically told them about his fire-ready-aim style, his meetings without an agenda, how his staff knew they could never exceed in his mind, and how he often didn't have a vision to share and expected his staff to develop that (these were things he openly bragged about to us, he thought he was quite the hot shot maverick).  He didn't get the job and called me to ask what the hell.  I told him what I said, with the same kindness and high energy delivery. 

He had no idea that the fact he refused to give an 'exceeds' rating once in a while to staff members would be enough to deny him a six-figure job one day.  I doubt he changed once he learned that, either. 

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 10:37:05 AM »
Okay @Rdy2Fire that's pretty funny!  Would you take the job if they offered it? How far out of your expertise? 

LV

I'd consider it sure, why not. I mean nothing is out of the question. I worked in tech and the things I send in for have ZERO to do with tech

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »

Loren

I hated reviews, receiving and eventually giving them as a boss.  It was a 2x yearly puppet show as an employee and a marathon of exhaustion as a boss.  Blech.  I am so glad I never have to give nor receive another one.     

After college my first boss (a VP level guy, slick and 100% talent-free) refused to give high marks on reviews.  His stated reason was that if an employee was "exceeding requirements" then he simply was not giving them enough of a challenge.  Clearly it never occurred to him that #1, he wasn't giving enough of a challenge to someone and they were in fact exceeding and could use new targets to do more, #2 there is a terrible psychological impact of telling your staff they will only ever hit the middle (so why put in extra effort).  He was a useless fool and was eventually fired. 

He put me down for a reference for his next job because I was young and grateful for my first job out of college so he figured I would schmooze right and proper.  I gave a completely honest and accurate verbal reference over the phone-- I was very kind and cheerful and enthusiastically told them about his fire-ready-aim style, his meetings without an agenda, how his staff knew they could never exceed in his mind, and how he often didn't have a vision to share and expected his staff to develop that (these were things he openly bragged about to us, he thought he was quite the hot shot maverick).  He didn't get the job and called me to ask what the hell.  I told him what I said, with the same kindness and high energy delivery. 

He had no idea that the fact he refused to give an 'exceeds' rating once in a while to staff members would be enough to deny him a six-figure job one day.  I doubt he changed once he learned that, either.

This makes me so happy.  Good on you!  He reaped what he sowed.  He couldn't succeed because you can always do better or it just wasn't challenging enough :).   Would have been scarier if they decided he had fit into their culture :S.

I am so glad I never had to do the reviews from the boss' side of things.  Our management would have to lock themselves away for several days to argue about who would get to be the 4s and 5s then the 2s and 1s (the 1s got to go on performance improvement plans).  If there were too many 4s and 5s upper upper management would tell them to go back in the room and chop more.  Talk about a waste of money.  The percent bonus different between being a 3 and a 4 was not that great (when 100% normal raise, I think you would get a 105 or something for a 4 and a 5 got 110).  The normal raise was 3% or so.  Having all of our technical experts (that were also our management) locked in a room for days make most problematic work screech to a halt. 

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 04:51:07 PM »
@Loren Ver
[/quote]

I am so glad I never had to do the reviews from the boss' side of things.  Our management would have to lock themselves away for several days to argue about who would get to be the 4s and 5s then the 2s and 1s (the 1s got to go on performance improvement plans).  If there were too many 4s and 5s upper upper management would tell them to go back in the room and chop more.  Talk about a waste of money.  The percent bonus different between being a 3 and a 4 was not that great (when 100% normal raise, I think you would get a 105 or something for a 4 and a 5 got 110).  The normal raise was 3% or so.  Having all of our technical experts (that were also our management) locked in a room for days make most problematic work screech to a halt.
[/quote]

OMG yes.  I can tell you what happens in those little rooms where ratings are discussed.  As with all teams, some members do the work and other members ride coattails.

I always came in with my teams' reviews and salary recommendations ready to go and spent painful hours advocating and explaining my reasoning.  In contrast, there were a couple bosses who just gave all of their teams 3s out of 5 and had the rest of the executives argue the ratings up and down-- a field staff member could have saved the whole system from shutting down because he dashed out at 1am to fix something and he would be given a 3 until the rest of us reminded his boss about the heroics. OK, tick him up.  Another guy on his staff had an at-fault work vehicle incident that same year but came out of the blocks at a 3 until we reminded the boss about that, too.  Oh, golly that's right, let's tick him down.  It was awful to argue over the raise budget especially when it felt like it didn't matter and half the leaders didn't even come prepared, and yes, in the end we were arguing about $100 annual difference between a shining star and the also-rans.       

Whole lotta wasted time.  Reason #79 that FIRE is purely glorious and I shall live longer for having freed myself from such bullshittery.     

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2021, 06:45:23 PM »
@MissNancyPryor Yep, kinda like I thought it might be.  Thank you for the insight and confirmations.  Ugh.

Unrelatedly, I love the way you write!  Your questions (like on the ACA thread you linked to me on a different thread) are succinct and well organized and your stories are engaging and highly entertaining.  :D .  I'm glad you didn't wander off after FIREing!

Loren

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 08:30:31 AM »
@MissNancyPryor Yep, kinda like I thought it might be.  Thank you for the insight and confirmations.  Ugh.

Unrelatedly, I love the way you write!  Your questions (like on the ACA thread you linked to me on a different thread) are succinct and well organized and your stories are engaging and highly entertaining.  :D .  I'm glad you didn't wander off after FIREing!

Loren

Thanks!  That is kind of you to mention. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 10:16:57 AM »
I miss nothing.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 11:02:29 AM »
I miss nothing.

Very definitive :)

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »
The cool thing to do these days is to have your team write their own goals and then review themselves. All you have to do as middle management is double check and then sign. If anyone complains, you call it part of their development.

Such a useless song and dance.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 12:54:24 PM »
I still apply for jobs sometimes; I choose things that are TOTALLY outside of my expertise and sometimes even write these humorous cover letters as to why they should hire me with zero experience. I've gotten a couple of responses but no jobs not that I am upset about it; just killing time periodically while drinking morning coffee :)

You must be a very hardworking person. I can't imagine applying for jobs I don't need.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 07:33:45 PM »
The cool thing to do these days is to have your team write their own goals and then review themselves. All you have to do as middle management is double check and then sign. If anyone complains, you call it part of their development.

I had to write my goals at the beginning of the year, then review myself at the end of the year (all the goals always changed - making the first part always a waste of time).  The boss reviews this review with us (And has us make changes and needed).  This part could take FOREVER with multiple revisions.  Set font, set number of lines. The Boss also reviews us (number scale, some writing - we didn't get to see this).

Is this what you are talk about or something else?  If so, my company was doing it for the ~ 14 years I was there.  Ugh.   

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 08:33:17 PM »

I had to write my goals at the beginning of the year, then review myself at the end of the year (all the goals always changed - making the first part always a waste of time).  The boss reviews this review with us (And has us make changes and needed).  This part could take FOREVER with multiple revisions.  Set font, set number of lines. The Boss also reviews us (number scale, some writing - we didn't get to see this).

Is this what you are talk about or something else?  If so, my company was doing it for the ~ 14 years I was there.  Ugh.
Yep that’s it in a nutshell. Sorry to hear you had to deal with it too.

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »

You must be a very hardworking person. I can't imagine applying for jobs I don't need.

I was :) But these are jobs that just pop up and are 'interesting' (to me) but I really have ZERO qualifications for. I mean I truly believe I can do anything if someone gives me an opportunity and I've proven that in the past so I just throw a resume out there with some humor and see what happens

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 01:46:08 PM »

Yep that’s it in a nutshell. Sorry to hear you had to deal with it too.

Well, at least we have commiseration!

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 02:12:27 PM »
During my time as a boss at MegaCorp we were told that all staff must have a Development Plan.  Cue more wasted time and frustration. 

My staff were mostly long-service, senior technical experts.  Their goals were to keep their heads down, do excellent work, and GTFO with a grandfathered pension plan tucked under their arms as soon as they could.  I fully supported that attitude since these were top notch people who I frankly did not want to see bogged down with corporate fad bullshit.  Their attitude was the same as mine except I funded my own FIRE "pension."   

During annual reviews we had to fill out the Development Plan forms and had a lot of fun in our 1:1 talks about it, trying to find ways to put their attitude into words that were not simply, "No, thanks, I don't want to do this, would love to see you try to make me, and furthermore, you are driving this business onto a reef in case you hadn't fucking noticed." 

They certainly were not going to attend seminars at the Holiday Inn or other similar time wasters at this point in their careers so we had fun with some word salad that veiled what was essentially a middle finger salute, and ultimately agreed that they should use their time to act as mentors for up and coming staff who might replace them one day.  They could choose who to take under their wing and didn't have to put up with any whiners, and it had the long term affect of making my group a destination spot for top performers. 

That was it, and they were glad to do that much.  Problem solved.       

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 04:33:19 PM »
During my time as a boss at MegaCorp we were told that all staff must have a Development Plan.  Cue more wasted time and frustration. 

My staff were mostly long-service, senior technical experts.  Their goals were to keep their heads down, do excellent work, and GTFO with a grandfathered pension plan tucked under their arms as soon as they could.  I fully supported that attitude since these were top notch people who I frankly did not want to see bogged down with corporate fad bullshit.  Their attitude was the same as mine except I funded my own FIRE "pension."   

During annual reviews we had to fill out the Development Plan forms and had a lot of fun in our 1:1 talks about it, trying to find ways to put their attitude into words that were not simply, "No, thanks, I don't want to do this, would love to see you try to make me, and furthermore, you are driving this business onto a reef in case you hadn't fucking noticed." 

They certainly were not going to attend seminars at the Holiday Inn or other similar time wasters at this point in their careers so we had fun with some word salad that veiled what was essentially a middle finger salute, and ultimately agreed that they should use their time to act as mentors for up and coming staff who might replace them one day.  They could choose who to take under their wing and didn't have to put up with any whiners, and it had the long term affect of making my group a destination spot for top performers. 

Have you ever considered writing a book about these experiences?  You really are a brilliantly funny and unique voice on these subjects.  I also love the term “bullshittery” that you used earlier.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2021, 10:55:37 PM »
This afternoon I sat on my friend’s porch nursing a glass of Pinot Grigio for two hours as we related our quitting tales and memories of our last year at work.  Time gives you perspective, and you realize what a comical charade so many workplaces are. 

I miss nothing.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2021, 07:28:46 AM »

I agree - annual reviews are the very worst aspect of corporate life. It was especially hard as a researcher since I never stuck to my objectives. Thankfully, I had a long run of good managers who allowed me to retroactively fix my objectives to match what I had actually done :-) But my luck in having supportive management had ran out by 2019 so I knew it was time to quit the big company where I was working at the time.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2021, 12:26:11 PM »

I agree - annual reviews are the very worst aspect of corporate life. It was especially hard as a researcher since I never stuck to my objectives. Thankfully, I had a long run of good managers who allowed me to retroactively fix my objectives to match what I had actually done :-) But my luck in having supportive management had ran out by 2019 so I knew it was time to quit the big company where I was working at the time.

This year will be a unique one for annual work goals and objectives.  I will soon be creating my goals for our fiscal year, however, I will be retiring a few months before the year is over so I really can put any damn thing I want in there lol.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2021, 04:24:51 PM »

This year will be a unique one for annual work goals and objectives.  I will soon be creating my goals for our fiscal year, however, I will be retiring a few months before the year is over so I really can put any damn thing I want in there lol.

That is a great feeling!  Way to go.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2021, 04:32:25 PM »

Ah yes, I was one of the minions that had to write personal development plans every 3-5 years.  Unfortunately I didn't have the most supportive management.  The plans were suppose to be a process to help identify the skills I would need to develop my career as I moved through the company,  this is not how my management used them.  It was more of a check box exercise for us since we didn't have much in the way of guidance and stating your 5 year plan was to be not working in that department was probably not the wisest move.  Though upper management did LOVE to hold up people that used their plans to make big career moves as success stories, for the minions, it was not, uh, encouraged. 

LV