Author Topic: Anyone "Unretire"?  (Read 4301 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Anyone "Unretire"?
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2022, 09:06:33 AM »
The fear of running out of money keeps nagging at me, irrational as it may be. Retired in January with just over 7 figures, still > 900k. The plan was 3% wr the first 2 years to get good aca rates and start SS in 2 years at 62. I had a some unexpected health costs early this year but am still on track for 3%, probably lower.   I've done some contract work with my old employer that has helped. I could go back to my old job if I wanted I'm sure but I was a workaholic, the stress both real and self inflicted was starting to get to me. I wanted to do all the things I was reading about.

Is it the money or is it the change that is the issue?  Financially if you can cover your expenses off of your stash and then have SS coming in 2 years as a backup, you are really set.  Given you likely have the frugal mindset you may have to push yourself to spend or do more.  I am not retired but I know i am in the same spot where we set aggressive saving targets and actually end up almost always surpassing them.   I have to push myself to spend a little more on vacations and what not.

There is also an element of adaptation to retirement.  I am not retired but  I took some time off earlier in my career and it was not what I expected.  Work makes you appreciate the small things and without work the small things become irrelevant.  I found it was actually effort, not a job but real effort, to keep myself motivated and occupied. You have to set goals and push yourself outside of your boundaries. Take chances and don't let yourself get into too much of a routine.  Keep pushing to find new things, new experiences.  They don't have to cost a lot but do spend the money you do have on these things.  I can't stress it enough, retirement does not mean the end of effort, it's not easy and if you don't push yourself you can fall into a routine that may not satisfy you. 

I don't mean to sound critical of you in particular, just thinking of my own experience taking long work breaks and the real struggle after the first month or so.  I think some personalities do a lot better with that type of freedom and I am not one of them.
This is some profoundly excellent advice.

BicycleB

• Magnum Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2022, 04:13:23 PM »
I might unretire soon, but not to onsite full time. More like "remote coastFIRE until confident" or "remote coastFIRE until I really don't want to work".

A friend showed me his easy online job, put the word out to the employer that I'm ready the next time they staff up a project. We'll see.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2022, 06:23:21 PM »
I might unretire soon, but not to onsite full time. More like "remote coastFIRE until confident" or "remote coastFIRE until I really don't want to work".

A friend showed me his easy online job, put the word out to the employer that I'm ready the next time they staff up a project. We'll see.

I feel like there are so many online opportunities for work. My spouse plans on finding some part time online work after retiring just to keep herself busy.