Author Topic: Any Americans retire abroad?  (Read 19680 times)

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
Re: Any Americans retire abroad?
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2016, 04:37:48 PM »
I wanted to follow back up with the tool I've been building over the past few months. I alluded to it upthread and wanted to follow up.

https://www.theearthawaits.com/

It's called the Earth Awaits, and it can be used to build custom budgets, generated on the fly and just for you, for over 500 cities around the world.  Based on your lifestyle choices, budget, family size, housing needs, and some other inputs, you'll get up-to-date budgets for the cities that suit your needs. Check it out and please feel free to share with friends and family.  You can read a little more about it here if you're so inclined:

http://frugalvagabond.com/2016/09/07/earth-awaits/

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2016, 05:02:40 PM »

Any Italian blood on your father's side?  Italy recognizes citizenship back for as many generations as you can document (with some caveats).
[/quote]

That's good to know. 

We're planning to travel a good bit.  My wife lived in Italy for a couple of years while in high school, and wants to show our daughter and me around.  I've also read a bit on other sites about traveling & living in Latin America and am looking forward to visiting.

Are Air B&B and Craigslist good ways to find rentals?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:13:30 PM by GreenEggs »

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2016, 07:16:51 PM »
I am wondering if the UK can be a frugal destination?  I have heard it is very expensive. 
One good thing is no worry about health insurance costs.  One of my backup plans in case the ACA goes away.

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »
Interesting thread! I was born in the UK and also have US citizenship. I hope to FIRE in 2022 (so long away) and spend about 6 months in Europe whilst keeping a base in Dallas. It will be interesting how Brexit plays out but the panic of losing the right to live in other European countries as a Brit seems to have calmed down and I agree that there will be some kind of free movement in place which should keep things status quo.

frugaldevil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2016, 07:03:23 PM »
Love the new The Earth Awaits site. One quick question -- I didn't see a link to a map out of the city details. Might be a good addition to the results. Looks great though! I've already tried a run on my current 4% budget.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2016, 09:14:08 PM »
Love the new The Earth Awaits site. One quick question -- I didn't see a link to a map out of the city details. Might be a good addition to the results. Looks great though! I've already tried a run on my current 4% budget.

Thanks! It's definitely on the roadmap.  Right this second I'm working on tags (so you can filter on amenities like Skiing, Mountains, Good Free Wifi, Hostels, etc. being nearby, or abstract concepts like LGBT friendly, etc.) and after that I'll likely move to currency conversion.

The map interface might coincide with actually placing points of interest on said map, so it's sort of an idea that's still in progress.  I also need to buckle down and add user accounts so that people can save favorites and store budgets, which is probably the most important task at the moment, but also the hardest/most daunting for me.

Needless to say, lots to do :)  Please keep sharing with friends so that I can try to develop enough of a following that the site is sustainable.  Thanks again :)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2016, 06:47:55 AM »
iamlindoro,

What other forums do you promote your travel info sites on?  I am on ADVrider.com which has 300K+ members, many that travel the world via motorcycle.  I think there would be a lot of interest about your site there. 

Horizons Unlimited is a big motorcycle travel forum too. 

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2016, 08:02:32 AM »
)  Please keep sharing with friends so that I can try to develop enough of a following that the site is sustainable.  Thanks again :)
Hi. Just looked at Earth awaits site. Very interesting, good work.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2016, 08:52:30 AM »
iamlindoro,

What other forums do you promote your travel info sites on?  I am on ADVrider.com which has 300K+ members, many that travel the world via motorcycle.  I think there would be a lot of interest about your site there. 

Horizons Unlimited is a big motorcycle travel forum too.

Thanks, Greeneggs!  I am trying to be cautious about sharing the site, so I've limited it to places where I am an active participant. Since most sites have strict rules about self-promotion, especially when you're not already a member of the community, I don't want to poison my potential audience by spamming everyone about it.  I've been relying on organic sharing for the most part so far.

I'd love it if you shared a link with those sites, if you're active on them, though! I'd be extremely grateful if that was something you wanted to do.  Really, anywhere that might be interested in it is fair game!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2016, 06:38:50 PM »
iamlindoro,

Thanks, Greeneggs!  I am trying to be cautious about sharing the site, so I've limited it to places where I am an active participant. Since most sites have strict rules about self-promotion, especially when you're not already a member of the community, I don't want to poison my potential audience by spamming everyone about it.  I've been relying on organic sharing for the most part so far.

I'd love it if you shared a link with those sites, if you're active on them, though! I'd be extremely grateful if that was something you wanted to do.  Really, anywhere that might be interested in it is fair game!

I'm only active on ADVrider.  I'll look over your site & then start a thread there about it.  I'll send you a link to it, so you can answer questions & say "hello". 

Horizons Unlimited is a very large site too, but I don't spend any time there.  You may want to look it over, may be okay to post about your site if done correctly (in the right place & in a manner that is okay with their TOU rules)  Your site seems like it would be a valuable resource to them. 
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ 

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2016, 07:54:21 PM »
I'm only active on ADVrider.  I'll look over your site & then start a thread there about it.  I'll send you a link to it, so you can answer questions & say "hello". 

Horizons Unlimited is a very large site too, but I don't spend any time there.  You may want to look it over, may be okay to post about your site if done correctly (in the right place & in a manner that is okay with their TOU rules)  Your site seems like it would be a valuable resource to them. 
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Thanks, that would be awesome!  I'll check out Horizons Unlimited later on this evening. I'm debugging a few small issues with the site that I've got to get nailed down before Google gets angry with me :)