Author Topic: Already FIREd: What did you do today?  (Read 7352 times)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
Already FIREd: What did you do today?
« on: March 30, 2019, 05:06:25 PM »
Already FIREd, but life goes on.  What did YOUR day look like?  Were you busier than ever?  Did you wake up at the crack of noon?  Did you go you work?  (IRP alert)

Give us glimpse into your post FIRE lifestyle!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
Re: Already FIREd: What did you do today?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »
Today was a quiet but productive day.  My DW is out of town for the weekend on an annual retreat so I had the day to myself.

Today I:  Baked bread, Cleaned the oven, Spent an hour weaving, Biked to the library to return some books, Read.

This evening I may watch a free movie or read some more. 

For me this is just about a perfect FIREd day.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 06:02:21 PM »
Woke up at 7am and wrote Morning Pages.  Breakfast, etc. Walked 10 minutes to Rec Centre and swam lengths from 8:45-9:45 then picked up 4 library holds (it never rains but it pours).  Walked home then drove with DH to check on a former family home and had lunch at a diner in the area. (DH and I are on a mission to eat at any and all diners we can find.  They are disappearing from our city because of changing demographics.) 

Back in our 'hood, went on a 45 minute walk to admire the cherry blossoms which have appeared suddenly on many streets, then read the newspaper on the sunny back deck.  Now waiting on DH to get home from his bike ride so we can cook dinner together.

This is a pretty typical weekend day.  We avoid stores or anywhere with crowds. Tomorrow I'm getting my hair cut then meeting friends for a late afternoon coffee/drink.  DH is in charge of dinner.  :)

During the week I have a couple of afternoons of volunteer work and DH has a 3 day/week job.  I like to structure my days lightly with a base of Morning Pages and an outside walk of at least 30 minutes. I also like to structure my week lightly to include a few sessions of swimming/Aquafit, socializing with friends at least once, and doing something fun with DH.  I spend a lot of time reading and language learning (yay!) and a fair bit of time watching TV/surfing (not always yay!). I'm going to be adding in a literature or music appreciation course in May and June.

I am always tweaking the balance between too much/too little structure or commitments.  The great thing about being retired is that the choices are all mine.  I sometimes use a To Do list to focus on a few things that have been hanging around or that I particularly want to do.  Baking bread and cleaning the oven would make that list!

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 07:16:40 PM »
DH and I are driving home from a weeklong visit with my parents and other family members a few states away. It was great and would have been difficult to do if we were still constrained by someone else's idea of how many days off we should have every year.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 07:58:32 PM »
Not much excitement here, just a lazy Saturday (but then everyday is Saturday now). I got up before sunrise and read the news and had a pot of coffee. Cooked breakfast. Got out my bike to go for a ride and check out the neighborhood garage sales. On the way out I noticed one of the sprinkler heads was broken so I fixed that. Then I went to the library to return a book and to the brew store to pick up supplies. When I got home, I cooked up a batch of beer. Read a book for a while and then talked to my sister on the phone. My son came over for help with a computer problem, I ended up giving him one of my old laptops. Just finished eating dinner and here I am.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 03:56:23 AM »
3/30 I woke up around 4:45 and went to the gym at 6am. Got a good 2.5 Hour workout in and then stopped at store on way home for groceries for rest of the month via my budget. Made myself some breakfast and sat in my chair and took about a 30 minute nap. Then took one of my younger ones to soccer practice and I walked the turf field during that and came home had a smaller lunch and watched some womens basketball march madness. Around 5pm took the DW and my two sons out to Dinner and then for Ice cream with the remaining fun $ we got from a cc churining check we received. Came home and started a new series on Prime call Hanna and fell asleep in my chair around 9:30 ish and got up at 10:20 and went to bed. That was my day.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 04:20:38 AM »
Up about 5:30, coffee and a quick dip in the hot tub.
Hit the grocery store at 7am.
Installed drapery rod and drapes in my wife's craft room and our kitchen.
Took my kids and dog for a nearby hike.
Drank a homebrew as I prepared sous vide burgers for the family.
6:30 hot tub dip with my kids.
TV for an hour with my DW and then read in bed for a bit.  Out by 9pm.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 08:01:52 AM »
A perfect golden autumn day here. Woke 8ish and had a coffee, while wandering around the garden looking at the last of the summer crops.Did a load of washing and hung it out.
home made sourdough bread toasted for breakfast.
Made 7 jars of passata. Walked down to the beach and had a swim. Ate leftovers for lunch, and lay on the sofa to read a book relating to planned travel in a couple of weeks.
Read 2 pages and dozed off for an hour.
Had a cup of tea while sitting outside, saw a neighbour walking their new baby, and chatted for a while.
Finished dealing with the rest of the tomatoes.
Brought washing in and folded and ironed it.
Cooked and ate spicy vegetable stew with beans over couscous, there is enough for tomorrow and some for the freezer.
cleaned up the kitchen.
Checked the give a little page for the Christchurch mosque massacre and cried some more.
wrote two emails
made the bed with fresh sheets
watched a magnificent sunset while listening to the radio
Headed to bed, to read, flick ovr the forum, lights going out shortly

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 12:28:50 PM »
Reading these responses you'd think us retirees (early or not) do a lot of napping, cooking, and eating and you wouldn't be wrong! :)  Set out like this it could make our days seem pleasant but maybe a bit boring.

So then I thought about how I would have described one of my work days (and I really liked my work).  "Got up at 6. Breakfast, etc. Walked to transit (30 min), transit to work (30 min).  At work: made tea, opened email, handled anything urgent, planned meeting agenda for distribution, met with a small group of direct reports, met with my own boss, ate lunch at desk, had one-one meetings with a couple of reports, drafted a few CCE's (Carefully Crafted Emails) to other units, met a colleague for coffee, transit home (30 min), walked (30 min). Home, read a bit/watched TV, prepped and ate dinner, TV/web, read, bed.

Not very exciting and a lot of it not even very pleasant!  To get the full flavour of my work though, and why a lot of it was satisfying, I'd need to think in terms of annual or even multi-year achievements, e.g. hired and mentored excellent people, developed programs that made an impact, negotiated consensus on tricky issues for worthy ends, and so on.  The values were "work hard, have fun, do good" (Dilbert before Scott Adams went strange...)

So same thing for FIRE, the full flavour isn't in the details of the daily routine, it's in the values that are being expressed; health, family, friends, service, fun, learning, pleasure.   And this is how our daily details add up to something great!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 07:51:02 PM »
Today was quite special because tomorrow morning my wife and I leave for a seven month tour of the Western US. Today was spent checking off all the final to-dos. The car got washed and a minor detail inside. Most everything is packed in the car now, ready for our departure in the morning. We share a house with another family, our best friends, so we didn't have to worry about anything related to being away from home for so long, other than cleaning up our bedroom. My dad came over and we went to a local pub where a mutual friend was playing guitar. We had a pint and all said goodbye. I called my grandfather to chat with him and he wished us a safe journey. Everyone one the household (4 adults, 3 children) had dinner together and we said our goodbyes tonight, though we'll probably wake up early enough tomorrow to say goodbye again before they all head to work/school. It's a tiny bit bittersweet. We're extremely excited about the trip but the last two days have been such an idyllic picture of enjoying family and friends that we hate to tear ourselves away from it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:56:10 PM by Mr. Green »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 01:00:02 AM »
Today was quite special because tomorrow morning my wife and I leave for a seven month tour of the Western US. Today was spent checking off all the final to-dos. The car got washed and a minor detail inside. Most everything is packed in the car now, ready for our departure in the morning. We share a house with another family, our best friends, so we didn't have to worry about anything related to being away from home for so long, other than cleaning up our bedroom. My dad came over and we went to a local pub where a mutual friend was playing guitar. We had a pint and all said goodbye. I called my grandfather to chat with him and he wished us a safe journey. Everyone one the household (4 adults, 3 children) had dinner together and we said our goodbyes tonight, though we'll probably wake up early enough tomorrow to say goodbye again before they all head to work/school. It's a tiny bit bittersweet. We're extremely excited about the trip but the last two days have been such an idyllic picture of enjoying family and friends that we hate to tear ourselves away from it.
What a wonderful trip you have planned! I hope you have a great time and don’t get too hot. ;-)
I suppose you always have the option of cutting the seven months short of the trip fails to live up to your expectations in any way. Conversely, you could probably extend it too if you found it is the best thing since sliced bread. (“The best thing since early retirement”?) :)

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 03:22:21 AM »
It was not the perfect post-FIRE day, but even after FIRE, there are still challenges and sadnesses.

I woke up and had tea with my husband before we went to the park for his long run (my walk). Since he runs so long, I end my walk before he ends his run and I go to a cafe and sit with my computer to write while he finishes.

Today I was upset that my life lost a lot of structure after several trips in January and February and since a long-term houseguest moved in. As a result two things that are important to me (writing and healthy eating) have slipped from prominence in my life. So after my husband finished his run and found me writing in the cafe I suggested that we take another walk together and talk about my concerns, which we did.

We returned home in the early afternoon and our houseguest greeted us. (Here's the thing, without FIRE there is no way I could have a houseguest for three months. It would strain our system too much. With FIRE it is still challenging but it is also fun.)

My husband went off to stretch, prepare his post-run smoothie and shower while I socialized with my houseguest.

We watched some educational videos about writing while I tried to revive an old computer to use as a solo writing computer. (This was one idea from my walk with my husband: take an old computer, strip it down to just writing apps, and use it while writing so as not to be distracted by social media.) Then we all went to our rooms and wrote.

We gathered for dinner (various leftovers) and conversation.

Later, I lit a candle to commemorate my father's death and selected the charity that would receive money in his honor.

Normally after dinner my husband would do a weight routine while watching something on television, but tonight he seemed to have a fever so he went to bed a bit early. My houseguest also went to bed.

I ate some additional noodles in broth while contemplating my lack of productivity,  as well as writing, sickness, and death. I also considered that I might be stress-eating and should probably do something about that.

I read an excellent novella by one of my favorite authors and then went to bed.

I woke up around 3:30 am filled with nameless dreads and came to MMM, one of my happy places, and found this interesting thread.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 03:33:02 AM »
It was not the perfect post-FIRE day, but even after FIRE, there are still challenges and sadnesses.

I woke up and had tea with my husband before we went to the park for his long run (my walk). Since he runs so long, I end my walk before he ends his run and I go to a cafe and sit with my computer to write while he finishes.

Today I was upset that my life lost a lot of structure after several trips in January and February and since a long-term houseguest moved in. As a result two things that are important to me (writing and healthy eating) have slipped from prominence in my life. So after my husband finished his run and found me writing in the cafe I suggested that we take another walk together and talk about my concerns, which we did.

We returned home in the early afternoon and our houseguest greeted us. (Here's the thing, without FIRE there is no way I could have a houseguest for three months. It would strain our system too much. With FIRE it is still challenging but it is also fun.)

My husband went off to stretch, prepare his post-run smoothie and shower while I socialized with my houseguest.

We watched some educational videos about writing while I tried to revive an old computer to use as a solo writing computer. (This was one idea from my walk with my husband: take an old computer, strip it down to just writing apps, and use it while writing so as not to be distracted by social media.) Then we all went to our rooms and wrote.

We gathered for dinner (various leftovers) and conversation.

Later, I lit a candle to commemorate my father's death and selected the charity that would receive money in his honor.

Normally after dinner my husband would do a weight routine while watching something on television, but tonight he seemed to have a fever so he went to bed a bit early. My houseguest also went to bed.

I ate some additional noodles in broth while contemplating my lack of productivity,  as well as writing, sickness, and death. I also considered that I might be stress-eating and should probably do something about that.

I read an excellent novella by one of my favorite authors and then went to bed.

I woke up around 3:30 am filled with nameless dreads and came to MMM, one of my happy places, and found this interesting thread.

Metta, is your house guest causing you stress?

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 04:02:02 AM »

Metta, is your house guest causing you stress?

Not with anything she is doing. She's actually the ideal houseguest, fun to be around and makes amazing food for us. Also she gets along with my husband, which is both nice and unusual since he is an extreme introvert.

The stress arises from the additional calculus of having three people here rather than two of us after doing a lot of travel and spending time with other people. I long for time alone. Also it is the anniversary of my father's death, which always has me on edge the week before and after. So there is stress right now. But there is also joy in having her, so it is a mixed emotional bag.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 06:41:35 AM »
It was what I like my Sundays to be. I went for nearly a 2 Hour walk with my DW in the morning and came back and had breakfast. Received calls from our 2 oldest away in college and just had a lazy day with our two youngest. We watched both Mens and Womens NCAA Basketball and enjoyed build your own Burrito night. Not alot of Sundays home going forward the next couple months so it was a nice one.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 01:44:43 AM »
Yesterday was a perfect spring day.

At 9am, we got out our mountainbikes and did a 20k ride (includes 45minutes of highy strenuous climbing). At the top of the mountain, there is a hotel that often hosts business meetings ("workshops"). Just as we arrived, about 20 people dressed in business casual attire were enjoying the spring weather outside. Five minutes later they all had to go back inside to continue their work. They did not look happy. That used to be us. It was a great reminder of our new FIRE freedom. We smiled, enjoyed the view and flew back down the mountain on our bikes. So liberating!!

Got back at 11am. SwissMister was invited to a lunchdate with the real estate agent. I did some work at home (washing, cleaning, etc.)

At 3pm, we went out for a leisurely walk through the city, seeing many people in suits rushing through the streets totally stressed out on their phones.

At 5pm, we rented an electronic roller from our mobility provider and drove to my parents for dinner.

At 9pm, we got back and enjoyed the rest of the evening with books and wine.

A perfect Tuesday!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 04:25:21 AM »
We are headed for Disney World today, just over an hour from us. We got the Florida Resident Weekday Select Annual Pass when the 4 of the grandkids came down in February, and figured we’d have some fun with it ourselves.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 04:46:10 AM by pbkmaine »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 04:27:03 AM »

At 9am, we got out our mountainbikes and did a 20k ride (includes 45minutes of highy strenuous climbing). At the top of the mountain, there is a hotel that often hosts business meetings ("workshops"). Just as we arrived, about 20 people dressed in business casual attire were enjoying the spring weather outside. Five minutes later they all had to go back inside to continue their work. They did not look happy. That used to be us. It was a great reminder of our new FIRE freedom. We smiled, enjoyed the view and flew back down the mountain on our bikes. So liberating!!

Got back at 11am. SwissMister was invited to a lunchdate with the real estate agent. I did some work at home (washing, cleaning, etc.)

At 3pm, we went out for a leisurely walk through the city, seeing many people in suits rushing through the streets totally stressed out on their phones.

At 5pm, we rented an electronic roller from our mobility provider and drove to my parents for dinner.

A perfect Tuesday!

What is “an electronic roller”?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 04:38:27 AM »
Yesterday the weather was really nice till about 2 so I went for a 2.5 hour walk along the river and then pretty much called it a day since i had an accident the day before and have a mild concussion. I did throw a beef roast in the Crockpot in the morning and had dinner all made. I also did set up my drywall guy to come and spray and texture my kitchen out that I have ready to go. Went to bed early since my head was pounding.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 05:28:37 AM »

A perfect Tuesday!

What is “an electronic roller”?

It's an e-scooter, much like an electric Vespa. I found a picture to illustrate what I mean:

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 05:37:34 AM »
Aha! Thank you, SwissMiss!

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 01:06:45 PM »
Yesterday I woke up around 8, had some tea and toast while I surfed the web (researching for my next vacation). Then I showered and went to a vocal class that I'm taking through a nearby community college.  I came home, made a sandwich for lunch and watched an episode of Jane the Virgin.  Then I went to the beach for a walk.  After that I went to the store to pick up some special Japanese-style dishes.  I went home and cooked a Japanese meal for the first time from some recipes off the internet (japanese curry and rice, edamame, miso soup, matcha kit-kat for dessert).  DH came home and we had a lovely dinner then watched an episode of the new Twilight Zone and an episode of Star Trek Discovery.  This is a pretty typical day for me.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 02:26:33 PM »
Researched places to stay and getting to the airport for our next trip.  Booked the tickets yesterday.  Took a 2 mile walk with DW before the forecast rain.  Breakfast was free from a morning meeting yesterday, lunch was salad and leftover pork & green bean stew.  We need to eat down the refrigerator before we leave!  Finished the second of three shawls I am weaving, started on the third.  May do some yard/garden work this afternoon if the rain doesn't arrive, if it does, more weaving and trip planning. 

LifePhaseTwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 07:09:51 PM »
Slept in, woke up naturally to no alarm...Had coffee and read the paper. Walked over to the nearby health centre for a massage. Came home and did 30 minutes on our Nordic Track ski machine. Showered, dressed and did a bit of housework. Read a library book for a while. Had lunch - ham on homemade rye bread (been trying out different bread machine recipes). Organized some photos for a scrapbooking project, and did some research on digital scrapbooking. Kicked back in the easy chair and watched the season finale of Orange is the New Black. I love this life so much - it kind of seems too good to be true. When I tell my DH that, he just smiles at me and tells me to enjoy...

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 07:27:37 PM »
Researched places to stay and getting to the airport for our next trip.  Booked the tickets yesterday.  Took a 2 mile walk with DW before the forecast rain.  Breakfast was free from a morning meeting yesterday, lunch was salad and leftover pork & green bean stew.  We need to eat down the refrigerator before we leave!  Finished the second of three shawls I am weaving, started on the third.  May do some yard/garden work this afternoon if the rain doesn't arrive, if it does, more weaving and trip planning.

Wound up spending the afternoon/early evening finishing up our taxes.  They need to be done before we fly!  Necessary but not the most fun thing to do.  FIREd folk don't always fit the tax mold very well so it needs to be done carefully (T to R conversions, ACA tax credits, Self Employment expenses, SEP, IRA, HSA, etc.).  Not everyone will have all of these but we do and it was 'just a bit' complex.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 09:04:32 PM »
Up around eight, made my coffee, got on the computer surfed until about 9:30. I cooked some Japanese noodles with two eggs
and had breakfast. Someone rang the door bell, I ran and put my pants on, and opened the door before she left, she was almost back to her car, she ask where my wife was, I wasn't sure I hadn't seen her since I got up. We looked in the backyard, then I saw the truck was gone, so she left.  Wife came home shortly after and we tool a couple hours setting up more stuff to sell in a yard sale. During this time one of my buddies stopped in and we talked for a while. Then I wandered over to the neighbors, he's trying to get a kids four wheeler running, we talked I said I'd be back later.
 I got back on the computer, transferred money into two SEP's and two Roth IRA's. had a little online trouble with one so had to call Vanguard for help, YA!! got another $24K in retirement funds!!
Put an ad on Craigslist for a garage sale this week end. Talked with my daughter on the phone.
Went to Lowe's, bought a door sweep, and screws for a window security bar, took my wife to Lucky's to buy vegetables, Stopped at the bank to deposit a couple of insurance checks, and went back home.
Went back to the neighbors to help with the kids 4 wheeler. We finally got spark and could make it run with starting fluid, I left as he was removing the carburetor because we were going to family dinner at a relatives home. We were early so I decided to go for a walk a park was a 1/4 mile down the road with a playground and a walk/jog path. I told someone I was walking to the park, one of the young relatives, a 5 yr old girl said she wanted to go, I don't even know whose kid this is, so I said you need to ask someone if you can go. Great grandma and grandfather (as I found out later) said OK. So we walked to the park, played in the playground, walked the path, played on the swings, noticed leaf patterns in the concrete, picked up shards of colored plastic as souvenirs and went back to the relatives home to eat, everyone had showed up to eat by then.
 I found the little girl is living with grandpa and step grandma, because of the mothers lifestyle. She's a very out going energetic little girl. As we got ready to leave, she ran up to me with a sad face and wanted a hug as a goodbye, I picked her up and gave her big hug. Her situation made me sad.
 Got home about 8pm, did all my usual check ins on the computer, mixed a drink and wrote this. Bedtime soon.
 Hope what I wrote is somewhat understandable, the alcohol has kicked in.
 The highlight of the evening, uhm, more of a lowlight, I was talking with a nephew by marriage, I started to say something and then said, "I forgot what I was going to say" he said, "That's a sign of age", I said, "what?" he said, "That's a sign of age", I said,
"what", he said, "now you're just messing with me!" I said no, "I didn't hear you."  I think I'll take advantage of that free hearing test I got in the mail today!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
Just go back from the Mercer Arboretum (free!)  Lovely day for it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
Woke up early (a surprise!) and played a video game for a bit.  Watched part of a new (to me) series on Amazon.  Went to Lowes with my honey and picked up some mollies and some plants.   Used the mollies to fasten those bins of small plastic drawers to the wall in my woodshop.  Did some cleaning and organizing.  Put some no longer needed book cases out to the street in case anyone wants them for free.   Went to the grocery.  Cooked a steak dinner for us all.   Did some reading.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 08:28:16 PM »
not retired yet ..
woke up, getting ready for my 1 hr drive in to work and am getting pinged on my phone from work while I am getting ready!
WTF
can't wait to retire

Jantoven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 10:19:07 PM »
I am not FIRE yet, but reading this thread is VERY inspirational.  I am looking forward to designing my own schedule, much like the rest of y'all :)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2019, 04:02:01 AM »
Yesterday I Went for about a 2 hour walk , made dinner and then I started removing everything from my kitchen as I am sanding and re-texturing and repainting the whole thing on Monday. Well having a friend of mine do it for some side cash since he is in that business.

This morning I am heading out to Saint Louis to take my #3 child to his Soccer tournament for the weekend and fortunately since my oldest goes to college down there will get to spend alot of time with him as well.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 11:31:49 AM »
Yesterday I was lazy in bed all morning, walked around a state park for a couple hours, went to a coding meetup, then watched TV with a borrowed dog in my bed.

Today is driving/passengering to Tennessee to see family, maybe stopping to hike a bit. I guess I should do laundry. And buy a ticket for the next leg of my trip. And do taxes uggggh.

I was up early (7am) because of the dog, so I'm tired but can't nap in the car. Pity me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:33:23 AM by MonkeyJenga »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
Yesterday I was lazy in bed all morning, walked around a state park for a couple hours, went to a coding meetup, then watched TV with a borrowed dog in my bed.

Today is driving/passengering to Tennessee to see family, maybe stopping to hike a bit. I guess I should do laundry. And buy a ticket for the next leg of my trip. And do taxes uggggh.

I was up early (7am) because of the dog, so I'm tired but can't nap in the car. Pity me.

Single tear on cheek.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 12:50:08 PM »
Spent the last several days fishing 6 hours from home with a few retired buddies, so today I am:
Cleaning up gear from fishing.
Catching up paying a few bills.
Ran to post office, grocery and lumber yard.
Painting an item out in the shop.
Made Italian beef for supper in crock pot.
Our well is being replaced today, so assisting those guys whenever they need something.
Shooting the breeze on the internet with you fine folks.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2019, 08:38:47 PM »

Single tear on cheek.

Wipe away that tear, girlfriend. I napped in the car after all.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2019, 09:38:09 PM »

Single tear on cheek.

Wipe away that tear, girlfriend. I napped in the car after all.

So relieved!

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2019, 05:37:56 AM »
We dug 31 post holes by hand around the property for the fence we will be installing this week.

We got a quote to have the fence built for $6000. We bought the materials and tools for $2200.

This is the value of FIRE in a nutshell.

Fyi, we are two small middle-aged ladies. We move slow but we get there.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2019, 07:58:00 AM »
I'm going to write what we have planned for the day, because I know u will be too tired to write by the end of the day. 

Today is Library Book Sale Set-up Day. We will be at the library at 8:00 am to begin set-up. We will work until 11:00, then proceed across town to work on the flip house.

At 12:30, we are meeting with our silent (-ish) partner to review our spending to date and review some final design choices. We're getting down to the wire and close to our estimated spend. Partner is proposing we don't pay off the credit card this month to have greater flexibility. Oh, hell no! We"re going to propose that we kick in an extra $10k, because we have it available and we don't ever pay CC interest, ever. Partner thinks were getting low on cash, but I'm confident were not going to need the extra $10k. Should be an interesting meeting.

Then we will eat the lunch I packed and get back to work. We'll go until about 7:00, then come home and I'll prepare a quick dinner. Afterwards, we'll set up for the arts group board meeting I'm hosting tomorrow morning for 20 ladies from another group I belong to.

Library volunteering, house flipping, community arts programming. Supporting three of the things I love to do in onne day. Nice!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »
I'm doing a 5 day photography workshop in Hatteras.  Lighthouses, milky way.  Not much sleep, but lots of fun!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2019, 12:59:24 PM »
For ~1 hour I cut some brush this morning.

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »
Since I went to sleep at 3 am I woke up at noon......read a bit....ate....talked on the phone.....read a bit more...and ate again....now reading MMM blogs before I go to sleep early before 1 am.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2019, 05:16:40 AM »
Just got back last night from spending 3 days with my DS at his soccer Tournament in Saint Louis and got to visit with Oldest Son while there Since he plays College Soccer in the area so that was nice.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 03:47:19 PM »
12 hours ahead , so yesterday:
Up at 6am due to change in daylight saving
Fed goats, dogs, guinea pig
Cleaned up a bit until I got bored
Took dogs to dog beach 5km return walk, and had brunch at our fave cafe on the way back
Went to the shops to get the meat
Came home had a nap with top dog on couch
Reorganised the pantry a bit
Fed goats, dogs, humans
Was a really good mother and took DD back to uni because she forgot to flick a switch on her experiment (I offered, she didn't ask)
Ate a small amount of really good Tasmanian fudge
Bed

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2019, 08:13:06 AM »
(Yesterday)
I rode the new-to-me 10 yr old, very low mile motorcycle that I bought at a really low, off-seaon price late last fall.
I was out 8.5 hrs.  It was the first 70 deg day in 179 days.
I had breakfast and lunch at convenience stores since I had a gift card (from Valentines). 
I went to a fish farm that has opened a restaurant. The restaurat is getting really good reviews.  I didn't eat there, just wanted to find out where it is.  It's in a very nice wooded and hilly area that I will be riding to more.  At the stop sign at the end of their small road, I saw 5 hawks circling over the field on the other side of the road!
I went to the last covered bridge in the state that you can still drive over (thru?).   I got a pic of my bike in front of the bridge.   I also got a pic of snow on the side of the road (central Wisc).
The GPS took me to a neat little cafe for dinner on the way home.   I've driven past it at least a dozen times yet I didn't know it was there.  I had good, home made tomato soup and good, home made chicken tenders.

Mtngrl

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2019, 04:40:33 PM »
Breakfast and email, then took the dogs for a three-mile walk. Paid bills and wrote some. Worked in the yard and garden (spring is slowly making an appearance.) Did laundry and some light cleaning. Made cookies. Some sewing. Made dinner and listened to a ball game on the radio while knitting. May organize some photos we took on vacation. Hubby was busier -- had his annual physical this morning, then a board meeting for an organization he volunteers with.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2019, 03:13:43 AM »
Got up and saw my two younger ones of to school. Went for nearly a 3 hour walk. Picked up my one son from school and went to lunch since he had early release day and my Kitchen is being sprayed out/ New drywall texturing. Came home and went downstairs to watch Netflix but fell asleep. Woke up at 5 and had to run my kids to soccer . Stopped at Quodoba since dont have a kitchen and watched an hour of Netflix then went to bed. I have fortunately my kitchen back today as I am going to Prime and paint it and call it a wrap. Hate eating out like that.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2019, 04:58:19 AM »
(yesterday)

Went to Lowes and bought 5 gallons of primer.  We're on the home stretch of finishing our living room.

Spent about 2 hours homeschooling with our kids (history, communication, and German).

Did about 4 hours of garden work:  fertilized and mulched fruit trees, weeded, transplanted gooseberries, planted potatoes and pole beans.

Took the kids out for ice cream.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2019, 08:31:25 AM »
After I got MIL on the bus to Dementia Day Camp, I
- Finished tidying up all the stuff I used to host a board meeting/brunchy thing at my house yesterday.
- Walked urban hills with my walking partner.
- Grocery shopped at 2 Grocery Outlets on Senior Morning.
- Came home, put away perishables, left rest in car.
- Jumped in DH's truck (he walks to work) and drove to fancy millwork store to get trim pieces that our usual, more downscale millwork store was out of. Picked up 5 - 16' window sills. Had them cut to 12' + 4' to fit in the truck, then delivered them to our flip house so they could be installed today/tomorrow.
- Came home, did not unload car. Instead, grabbed a 1/2 hour *NAP* before bus delivered MIL.
- Updated the Silent Auction spreadsheet for upcoming gala.
- Showered, dressed up and attended donor party for said gala at a fancy-pants restaurant. Ate appetizers for dinner, but passed on the free booze. Got another auction idea from a guest that I will pursue tomorrow.
- Drove across town for another board meeting.

I love the things I do in my community and they seldom overlap, but when they do, it's a mad rush to get everything done. In my career, every day was chaos from beginning to end, so when I get busy these days, I love the reminder that I can still make shit happen, but now it's all optional. Sweet!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!