Author Topic: About to sell my business  (Read 7452 times)

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
About to sell my business
« on: May 10, 2020, 02:06:15 AM »
I've written (not posted) and deleted this topic 4 times over the past 8 months. Each time I've stopped for fear of the "what-if it doesn't happen" coming back to punch me in the face. It did, each time. So in any given deal, the process of selling a business is a stressful rollercoaster. Throw in COVID for good measure and it puts this rollercoaster into hyperdrive. We were due to complete the sale of our business 8 weeks ago. It was so close we were sitting in the lawyers office awaiting the contracts to come in to sign. Then the very same morning lockdown began rolling out. Everything was thrown out the window.

At the very same time of stressing about business and the scores of people we employ, the deal was pulled. I'll not lie, it was the most stressful week or two Ive ever encountered. My daily walk usually concluded with tears of worry. I stopped sleeping well and the panic that many of us felt never left me, day or night.

I am ever the pragmatist and know this time will pass, but not knowing the answers is one thing. Not even knowing the question is something entirely different. Especially when many people and their families are looking to you for answers. If we all came out of this time healthy that was the big win in my opinion.

From a FIRE perspective, I saw a 30% drop in our investments. This drop alone was a life changing sum by anyones standards. But when I readjusted to our budget COVID spend rate it still covered everything and more. Regardless of what-happened financially we'd be ok. Home paid off, a good cash reserve and no need to touch our investments.

I'd completely forgotten about the deal 4 weeks in, this was business preservation mode. By week 6 I like many entrepreneurs started looking for the opportunity this time presents (of which there will be many) and created a whole new service to assist the organisations we work with navigate this time as responsible employers. We are going to be aggressive in our marketing and come out of this time stronger and more efficient. Though not without struggle.

Anyway, fast forward to this week and I got a call from our prospective buyer. "It's time to push forward". I was floored. I'd discounted the fact that we are a big opportunity for their business and all things aside, now is of course the right time to take action. Awaiting contracts in coming days and this really might happen...First time I've allowed myself to think that, as I'm very much of the "A deal isn't complete until the money is in the bank" train of thought.

I obviously can't share this with anyone I know irl. I'm trying not to get excited, but this has been 15 years in the making.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:15:02 AM by oneyear »

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
Re: About to sell my business - 30 months to FIRE
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 02:27:42 AM »
Congratulations on taking the next step!

I've some sort of similar experiences posted elsewhere in this subforum, and it is truly a mental rollercoster.  Or was for me. 

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 02:46:54 AM »
Congratulations on taking the next step!

I've some sort of similar experiences posted elsewhere in this subforum, and it is truly a mental rollercoster.  Or was for me.

I'll go search :) Yeah you couldn't have too many goes on this rollercoaster tbf. Mentally draining.

Im hoping things move fast this week, but going by the past 8 months, it'll be at a snails pace.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:10:11 AM by oneyear »

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 05:58:38 AM »
Can't speak for everyone...I left my career in the rearview mirror over a year ago and had so many concerns. Today I can barely remember what they even were. 90% of my cellphone contacts are just a waste of memory space. Things that were so important have faded away. Life fills a vacuum pretty quickly and I like it.

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 06:14:45 AM »
Can't speak for everyone...I left my career in the rearview mirror over a year ago and had so many concerns. Today I can barely remember what they even were. 90% of my cellphone contacts are just a waste of memory space. Things that were so important have faded away. Life fills a vacuum pretty quickly and I like it.
This is what I like to hear. My business and I have been inextricably linked. The only way out of it is to pass the reigns on, otherwise I'll be there forever. Im nervous of what this week might bring but incredibly excited

ol1970

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 09:00:14 AM »
This sounds like me 6 years ago!  This is another example of when “experts” say to never take chips off the table, or not to “keep some powder dry” they need to be immediately dismissed as someone who doesn’t have a clue what they are talking about. (There are a few financial bloggers who preach such stuff)  Good luck in your sale, my favorite saying in business is the “it takes 15 years to make an overnight success”. Regardless you’ll be fine, but being free from the stress will be amazing for you and your family!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 02:28:23 PM »
I hope you succeed with your sale.

We just sold our house in March, a week before the lockdown. It was for sale since November last year, so yes, a sales process can take time and causes uncertainty if your retirement depends on it. Don't close a deal that you are not content about. If you think you can get a higher price/better deal, then comsider that highly. We earned 60.000€ by not accepting a sale for a low price in November.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 04:04:26 PM »
Sold my business about four years ago.  It was kind of weird for a while not having a job to go into every day, not having the day to day activities and interactions, etc. and I worried about money more than I should have, constantly checking investments, etc.   Now days I just don't give a damn. 

Spoke to one of the current managers the other day and he started sharing all the details that were going on in the business, etc.   Told him that he wouldn't believe how little I give a rip about all of that stuff that occupied my mind 24/7 for 40 years.

Getting out was good, probably should have a couple years sooner.

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 01:12:26 PM »
All parties back at the table so to speak. Surreal given all things that are happening .Assuming we'll hear a covid related discount coming up at some point but being honest we would rather wait it out and review in 6 months, as we know our business and are confident in its growth.Can't let it cloud my mind in the short term.

Thanks all for your insights and experience.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »
Good Luck!  The last couple years of my business was an exhausting roller coaster and that was without Covid!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 01:34:10 PM »
Good luck!  And keep your eye on the goal.  :)

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 08:59:18 AM »
Cheers all for the messages and notes. Yeah Eyes on the Prize is the order of the day. Keep profitable and focus on the business right now. Thats the only goal

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 06:47:11 AM »
We're back in the waiting game where lawyers and accountants do their thing. Absolutely the worst as neither seem to work at pace (both us and purchaser complaining of same).

I let my mind wander the other night and my wife and I tried to spend 15k each as our discretionary spend after sale. We both spent less than 5k on our must have items. was fun game, but we quickly came back to "its not sold yet"

How to sane in midst of pandemic and company sale

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 07:08:37 AM »
All parties back at the table so to speak. Surreal given all things that are happening .Assuming we'll hear a covid related discount coming up at some point but being honest we would rather wait it out and review in 6 months, as we know our business and are confident in its growth.Can't let it cloud my mind in the short term.

Thanks all for your insights and experience.
Not if you have come up with something that will help people climb out of this pandemic crater...

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 02:37:07 PM »
yes we've products that are now hot topic. But only a percentage of replacement for our main business activities.

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 07:56:08 AM »
So the time has finally come. I am 9 days out from selling the business. Absolutely counting the minutes down.

We changed our business and we're leaner at this point of covid but remained profitable. Hence the sale happening now.

Markets going up the past few days feels great obviously but wish I'd got my new investments in first

Wish me luck

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 09:20:17 AM »
What kind of a business is this, just out of curiosity?  Hope everything goes smoothly in 9 days!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
So glad for you!  Enjoy your FIRE!

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 12:47:08 AM »
What kind of a business is this, just out of curiosity?  Hope everything goes smoothly in 9 days!
We're a marketing agency

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 12:47:54 AM »
So glad for you!  Enjoy your FIRE!

Thanks so much. Really looking forward to it myself now at this point.
8 days!

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 02:06:19 AM »
3 days out and all so far so good. Started to write my letter to employees for those I don't get to speak to initially. Have begun collating materials for the new owners. Sent across my bank details to the lawyers and we do our official signing of documents tomorrow.

Then its a waiting game for the funds to be released. Beyond nervous.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 03:39:38 AM »
Good luck! Hopefully you can put all the stress and worry behind you soon.

Chuck Ditallin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 07:54:03 AM »
Ooh, I remember the excitement and the complete frustration of not being able to do anything other than wait for the sale to go through and the money to arrive...

That was over 2 years ago now; life's good!

It'll be sorted soon; enjoy and good luck!

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 03:08:51 AM »
Ooh, I remember the excitement and the complete frustration of not being able to do anything other than wait for the sale to go through and the money to arrive...

That was over 2 years ago now; life's good!

It'll be sorted soon; enjoy and good luck!

Glad Im bringing back some good memories. Starting to get congratulatory messages from the board members and team on the acquirers side. I can imagine more than a few tears being shed these coming days. I'm already an emotional wreck on the whole. But completely over the moon at the same time.

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2020, 12:28:50 AM »
And thats that then. I am no longer the owner of the company I founded in our spare bedroom.

I did it! I won the game. On to the next adventure, but for now I'm going to pause and take it all in.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2020, 12:46:22 AM »
Congratulations!

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2020, 03:20:13 AM »
And thats that then. I am no longer the owner of the company I founded in our spare bedroom.

I did it! I won the game. On to the next adventure, but for now I'm going to pause and take it all in.

Heartiest congratulations!

SpreadsheetMan

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2020, 06:41:14 AM »
Well done. Do you get to walk away clean, or do you have an earnout/ similar?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2020, 08:11:54 AM »
Now things will get really interesting...Congratulations!

Chuck Ditallin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »
Many congratulations!

I too would like to know if that's it or if you have to work in any form for any length of time as a condition of the sale.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »
Congratulations, that’s awesome!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2020, 03:59:40 AM »

Congratulations!  :)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2020, 06:16:00 AM »
Congrats! That's huuuuuge

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2020, 08:54:55 AM »
Many congratulations!

I too would like to know if that's it or if you have to work in any form for any length of time as a condition of the sale.

Thank you everyone. Its been a whirlwind few days. Yes there's an earn out. Doesnt have any bearing on me being fire or not, but rather do I have a fairly luxurious retirement or just...you know luxurious. Not too shabby at 38. Everything bar a little bit of frivolous spending is being re-invested.

Told my team just now. Well received and genuinely happy for me. I guess the fact I'm not going anywhere helps somewhat.

Literally today is the same as Friday, just never have to worry about money again.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2020, 09:54:17 AM »
Literally today is the same as Friday, just never have to worry about money again.

I joking call this the law of conservation of worry: "if one worry vanishes, it will be replaced by a different equivalent worry" :-)

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2020, 10:22:08 AM »
Haha - given the year we're all having, I'm hoping that replacement takes sometime to come our way

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2020, 10:25:42 AM »

Fantastic news... congrats!  Maybe someday I'll get to celebrate the same :)

Chuck Ditallin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2020, 02:54:35 PM »

That's the most important part!

It's true that all the other worries don't go away, but having the time, energy and cash to deal with them does make them a little easier. I was due to retire, having sold the business, in August 2019, but was chronically ill, so didn't return after February 2019. Since then, there have been a variety of challenges, some expected and some random. We'd not expected a couple of serious illnesses, other family dramas or Covid-19; more likely were the illnesses and deaths of elderly loved ones.

It's actually been a stressful time for us since we quit. Having the time to sleep as much as required, process situations in our own time and, of course, help as much as possible with no restrictions on our time, has made it all a lot easier to cope with.

Tl;dr: even if life gives you lemons, they're easier to deal with when you've won the game.

Here's to your rosy future!

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2020, 06:00:16 AM »
I am not gonna lie. I have slept better this week than I have in the past 5 years. My alarm has woken me up as opposed to me waking at 3-4am daily. I think a huge part of this past week is the decompression that the deal has been done. I'm ecstatic!

We've had our own share of "things" happen in the outside world and very rarely do they all come back to a positive outcome. We're incredibly fortunate that concluding this year, the problems don't seem like problems and the health issues of family members are now in the clear.

I am going to enjoy the here and now, work on improving myself (health & fitness), spending more time with the family and generally decompressing from the fact that I have won the game of FI.

Thanks all for your kind words!

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2020, 11:11:27 PM »
What an awesome update, oneyear. It’s so good to hear the decompression is underway. Enjoy!

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2021, 04:27:39 AM »
Today marks 6 months of me selling my business and wow what a ride it's been.

Firstly, I'm still working daily in the business (what else would I be doing during a pandemic). The pressure is definitely off in terms that the team around me and the responsibility I had for them and their families. I have slept better these 6 months that I have for the past 10 years.

We spent a little, invested a lot.

We started to live on our RE Budget. And are within 1k of that after 6 months. I'm super conservative on our withdrawal rate and for years 1-5 have set this at 2.75%. We pay ourselves a discretionary allowance and all bills are covered by this budget including some spendy luxury holiday deposits for next year. So far though we're bang on track and I'm comfortable in the knowledge that there's headroom to spend more, or that we could pull back if we needed to.

I sold my fancy jeep, bought a sensible second hand car. It arrived 2 weeks after the deal went public (has prompted a few conversations from loose associates about the reasoning behind the deal. I couldn't give two hoots about their impression of me or the reason we sold - it was a great thing for us btw). Genuinely I want to slide off unknown into the sunset and keep my motoring costs low. It's still a 20k car, but with only 40k miles, I'll run it for the next 10 years. I plan to drive to the mountains for extended ski trips next year so this new to me car will be a much more economical option

Old habits die hard though. From my discretionary spend I'm saving. Not so much for the future, but we've the perfect opportunity to ensure we never need to borrow for anything and so I'm putting little pots aside for things I know will come up (gifts, holiday spending money, car insurance). I've hardly been frivolous but I've spent a few cents on things I want. Mostly software synths and games.

We have however, spent/invested on things that will affect our quality of life. We built a home gym and a summer garden room to house it in. We're extended our living areas at home and put in a video games room / Studio. While a decent cost outside of our budget, they are also an investment in ourselves and our home, so I'm not one bit concerned. I've used the gym more this year than I've done in the past 3.

Yesterday was the best day of the year so far and I sat in the garden, spent time in the gym, all while enjoying the sunshine. It was worth it.

I've made music for the first time in 7 years and I'm enjoying it. I'm learning new production tips weekly and putting them to action.

I DO NOT TALK ABOUT WORK AT HOME - I took my work calendar and emails off my phone. Thats not to say I do not work hard. I put as much effort today as I did when I owned the business, but after hours, I give the attention to family.

I've started to think about what I will do when I finish work. I'm built to make money. Thats how I've been wired for 20 years. I will take some time off, I will work on my hobbies and I will play xbox flat out. I have earned it.

I plan to spend the next 24 months building relationships. Both family, existing friends and new. The pandemic has highlighted that while I have some great close friends, they don't share my hobbies, nor schedules that always match. So I will widen this out. I haven't had to make new friends in 20 years. Any tips?

At home, we are thriving by spending more quality time together. It's not always easy, but in life, what is? We're definitely a stronger family unit this past 6 months than we've ever been.

So far so good, the future awaits.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2021, 01:09:28 AM »
Sounds wonderful!  I'm happy for you!

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2021, 01:16:23 AM »
Thank you lemanfan. I had hoped selling the business would free me up mentally and physically. It hasnt disappointed so far.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2021, 06:34:32 AM »
This is great to hear! I think you are well on your way to decompressing. The responsibility of running a business is huge so it must be great to step away from that.

I would recommend starting a journal - I have found it very useful to write about my retired life.

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2021, 07:38:14 AM »
I would recommend starting a journal - I have found it very useful to write about my retired life.

Thanks for the message @2sk22. Can I ask what you journal and why? It's not something I've ever considered before but I'm definitely open to it

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2021, 08:23:22 AM »

Thanks for the message @2sk22. Can I ask what you journal and why? It's not something I've ever considered before but I'm definitely open to it

You can see for yourself - the link to my journal is in my signature. Mostly I would say that writing a post helps me think through things better. But in addition, reading other people's journal is often enlightening for me as well.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
Re: About to sell my business
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2021, 03:35:29 PM »
Just found this thread. Congrats, @oneyear!

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2021, 09:24:43 AM »
Thank you very much @BicycleB

Definitely think a journal is a great idea @2sk22 but fear it'd be a start then never go back to again project. How do keep motivated to journal

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »
You're so welcome!

Re journal, of course it's up to you. Since you're externally quite active, and even your process for unwinding from your business involves a fair bit of activity, it's possible that the process of writing journal entries will crystallize some thoughts. Maybe the process of reflection will increase the quality of life that you now build. Also, since other active people note that their thoughts and feelings changed dramatically during the first few years of FIRE (or FI), perhaps in future you will find that a record of your thoughts as you go along will help in future decision making about life paths.

Those are reasons I can imagine why you might do it. If the issue is you feel a pull to do other activities and not a pull to journaling, maybe you should just do other activities! (In other words, maybe your emotions already show the right course).

Then again, since often a founder/exec type keeps their inner thoughts to themselves, maybe the exercise is just unfamiliar but would be valuable. In that case, maybe you could just set a monthly reminder to journal for 30 minutes and record what you've done the last month, how you feel about it, what you're thinking about lately, and what you're most looking forward to.

Other people have other reasons and processes, that's just what leaps to mind imagining you.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2021, 03:05:24 PM »

You can see for yourself - the link to my journal is in my signature. Mostly I would say that writing a post helps me think through things better. But in addition, reading other people's journal is often enlightening for me as well.
I don't think you can see siggy lines until after you've logged 100 posts. Keep going, oneyear, it's worth it.

I felt the same way about starting/keeping up a journal. I joined this forum in 2012. Didn't start journaling until about five years later. I still can't believe I've kept it going for this long or that anyone reads my long-winded drivel.

I can also attest that @2sk22's journal is very interesting, even as good chunks of it sail right over my pretty little head.

For me, the fun of journals is the glimpses it provides into other lives. I can peek into the mind of a brave sea captain, a cutting-edge cancer fighting doctor, a surf-loving expert on all things military, a rocket scientist or three, computer geniuses of all types, real estate moguls, DIY experts, and lots of engineers. Oh and I love the journal of a young, disabled woman who's making her dreams come true with grit, ingenuity and damn few dollars. Where would I meet this many cool people IRL, much less have fabulous conversations with them about finances and other cool shit?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!