Author Topic: 6 months update - Semi FIRE now  (Read 2136 times)

rae09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
6 months update - Semi FIRE now
« on: April 14, 2021, 08:43:06 PM »
6 months ago, I finally FIREd. I had been dreaming about that moment for so long, it felt unreal. For days, I kept wondering if that really happened. It took me about a week for it to finally sink in that I really didn't have a full time job anymore! I was happy for a moment. No more crazy schedule with one zoom call after another, no more meeting deadlines, no more having to deal with all the office drama. Then... I got bored. My spouse still works, COVID was still going strong, the days were getting shorter and the cold weather was coming. I felt trapped. Here I am with the freedom I wished for and no place to go. I tried luring my husband to retire as well since we have enough but he likes his job. It's not fair for me to ask him to abandon his dream only to fulfill mine.

3 months had gone by and then out of the blue, several job opportunities knocked on my door. I was tempted but I was cautious, yet I got sucked into it anyway. The excitement didn't last though. By the end of the first week, I regretted my decision but I already gave my words, I didn't want to take it back that quick so I sucked it up and kept on going. Luckily it was a small project and didn't take too much of my time.
I still couldn't take a nap without feeling guilty though.

Now, it's been 6 months. The days of working 9-7 and responding to emails and texts after hours with the overseas team are becoming a more distant memory. The days are longer, the weather is nicer and I can finally enjoy my naps without feeling guilty anymore. I still have a couple small projects but I don't mind them for now. I do it when I want to do it. I can walk the dogs without having to worry about being late to the 9am call, I can go to the dog park without having to worry about work emergencies, did I mention I have time to take naps now? ;)

Thank you everyone who told me to give it more time before deciding to get back to work. I didn't listen enough but luckily the damage wasn't too big and it could be fixed easily. Sometimes, you just gotta scratch an itch lol.
For those of you who are going to FIRE or recently FIREd, please... allow yourself enough time to decompress. My work was pretty hectic and stressful for 7 years. It took me 6 months to learn how to take a nap peacefully and I'm sure I will come across and have to work on more issues that haven't surfaced yet but, there is hope at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Good night/day where ever you are :)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
Re: 6 months update - Semi FIRE now
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 06:00:47 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing this.  I know this will be me.  Maybe not bored but I know I'll feel the pull back to work at some point.

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 07:12:04 PM »
Appreciate you sharing. It’s so easy to want to return to work since it’s been go go go for so long. I took a nap today too and it felt great. Also played video games, there’s a tiny bit of guilt, but it’s outweighed by the yippee ☺️ Glad the small projects didn’t take too much of your time.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 06:30:07 AM »
Good to hear that you have found balance in retirement. My retirement has mostly happened as I thought it would. However, one minor surprise is that I still sometimes feel a twinge of guilt at not being at work. My wife is still working and my daughter is at school and here I am enjoying myself - but the feeling passes quickly :-)

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 11:24:22 PM »
I'm in my 8th month of retirement here and starting to adjust myself. I think I've only napped 2x's but have spent a lot of time in my beach chair sunbathing. I try to fill my time with more exercise. Gym 5 to 6 days a week. Bike ride 6 to 8 miles 4 to 5 x's a week too. I do most of our shopping for groceries. So Costco runs about every 10 days to 2 weeks. Trips to Homedepot for house projects ( just replaced 5 - 2nd floor windows ). I sometimes wonder how I had time to work?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 03:54:31 AM »
I have been fire'd just over 6 years now. Like you after the first 3, 4 months I got bored and worried about things so got a job in managing two different sets of people and was to bring them together. I went from hating what got me to fire'd to hating life..lol so went back into retirement and never looked back. I dwadled and did do some side gigs here and there over the years but we eventually bought a lake house that I am redoing that has taken over every extra bit of energy I have. Decompressing is for sure the thing even though I read about it I didnt understand till I had to go through it and your spot on. It took me a lot longer though and even to this day there are times I dont miss my business but I do miss the importance I was to so many people and there careers. Fortunately with the Pandemic we were on the lake or it would of been bad for me because like you winter brought a whole new set of challenges. Now I am in a good place but to your point it as they say is easier to retire to something then to be Fire'd and have to figure out what to do next. Glad your doing well!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 03:36:51 AM »
Thank you for your update!

I also FIRE'd last fall, so I'm in the six months in cohort.  Funny enough at the 3-4 month mark I also *almost* took on a part time position in a related field, but then I came to my senses!!  This winter was a hard time to be FIRE'd...cold, COVID, remote learning left us feeling very cooped up.  However, now the weather is getting to be great and I am enjoying long days on the beach or patio and work and its associated stress is becoming a memory.  Cheers to long walks, sunrises and naps!