Author Topic: 2017 ACA plan info now available  (Read 61057 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2017 ACA plan info now available
« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2017, 01:06:32 PM »
It is all the same shit all over again.

Well, except that the Democrats' end goal was to help protect the unemployed/self-employed/under-employed/lower classes by reducing the number of uninsured and getting rid of some downright awful insurance practices (ie, denial of coverage based on pre-existing conditions).

Contrast that with the Republicans' end goal which is to satisfy a mob they've riled up with lies (ie death panels, "communism," death spirals, can't afford a military because of all our "entitlements") for 8 years even though many of their own constituents benefit from the very ACA that they've been convinced should be destroyed, ultimately for the benefit of the wealthiest in the country.

+1

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2017, 06:02:22 PM »

Well, except that the Democrats' end goal was to help protect the unemployed/self-employed/under-employed/lower classes by reducing the number of uninsured and getting rid of some downright awful insurance practices (ie, denial of coverage based on pre-existing conditions).

Contrast that with the Republicans' end goal which is to satisfy a mob they've riled up with lies (ie death panels, "communism," death spirals, can't afford a military because of all our "entitlements") for 8 years even though many of their own constituents benefit from the very ACA that they've been convinced should be destroyed, ultimately for the benefit of the wealthiest in the country.

It is a good thing that liberals are so peaceful and tolerant. Imagine the chaos in the streets, on college campuses or at political rallies if liberals started forming destructive or violent mobs. 

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »
Please keep in mind that the premium increases are real.  They are just masked by the subsidy.  The money is still being paid to the insurance companies by the government.  Where does the government get its money?  From taxes.  This is an example of using OPM (other people's money).  OPM works until it runs out.

Also, the insurance companies are raising their rates and/or dropping out of the program because they are loosing money.  If they cannot make a profit they must either raise prices or stop selling the product.

ACA repeal failed, not because of Democratic opposition (though that was a factor) but because the Republican Freedom Caucus thought that the replacement plan was just as bad as ACA.  They want even more aggressive changes and would not support the Trump/Ryan plan because they considered it to be "ACA Lite".

This situation reminds me of the first two years of the Obama presidency where, despite holding majorities in the Senate an the House, the Democrats had trouble getting their agenda passed.  Just like now, this was not only caused by Republican opposition but also by disagreement within the Democratic party.

I am FIRE but not eligible for subsidies until 2018 (due to the sale of stock options)  As a result my best insurance option was COBRA at over $900/month for two healthy people.  This is an HSA plan and the deductibles are high, around $2500 as I recall.  The main thing my $900 a month gets me is the negotiated rates with the service providers.  Unfortunately, negotiated rates are completely opaque to the consumer.  There is no way to compare plans based on these rates.  This is my biggest pet peeve with health care because it means I cannot comparison shop using the criteria that matters.

Well then I hope the ACA continues because then you'll be able to get a marketplace plan with subsidies as long as you don't have another huge stock options sale with capital gains to deal with.

I am actually a supporter of subsidized healthcare and but would prefer a single payer system.  I am not a big fan of ACA mainly because it does not address the core problems with healthcare in the US, including:
  • Limited transparency in actual coverage benefits.  You can shop for insurance based on price but you do not know what you are buying.
  • Limited transparency in the cost of services.  The same procedure can cost wildly different amounts from different providers but you, the consumer, cannot easily comparison shop.
  • State and county restrictions on who can offer coverage.  It is insane that people have different carriers or plans available just because of where they live.
  • No coverage for dental or optical care.  These are two of the most common medical expenses many people have, why are they not included?

ACA did not address any of these fundamental issues.  I do not expect the Republican plans to address there issues either.  The Insurance, Pharma and Medical lobbies are too powerful.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2017, 08:18:48 PM »
But the ACA did provide a system to compare health insurance plans because these plans had to:

- Provide the same essential benefits, including maternity care, mental health and addiction care, as well as free wellness visits and screenings
 - Were able to be compared in terms of deductibles and copays
 - And you could even find which hospitals and doctors were part of an insurance plan's network.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
But the ACA did provide a system to compare health insurance plans because these plans had to:

- Provide the same essential benefits, including maternity care, mental health and addiction care, as well as free wellness visits and screenings
 - And you could even find which hospitals and doctors were part of an insurance plan's network.

Yes, there are definitely some points of comparison.  But many people on high deductible plans either never meet their deductible or hit it late in the year.  For these people, the negotiated rate for services is very important.  Until you meet the deductible this is what you buying with your insurance premium.  Try asking an insurance company for their negotiated rate for a service.  They will not tell you (I have tried repeatedly).  How can you effectively comparison shop if you do not know what your premium is buying?

Another big issue I have with ACA is that most (in some cases, all) available plans have extremely limited in-network service providers.  If you travel outside a limited geographical area your coverage is useless except for emergency services.  I looked into this pretty carefully because we would like to travel around the US now that we are FIREd.

Actually, I would love to see Medicare expanded into a single payer system for everyone.  Yes, Medicare has its flaws and high profile abuse cases but overall it is one of the most cost efficient government programs we have.  One big problem with Medicare is that service providers don't want to take it.  Guess what, they don't like it because the "negotiated" rates for Medicare are very low.  The service providers still make a profit but only a small profit.  But, if Medicare was greatly expanded more providers would have to take it if they wanted to stay in business.

I am not excited about any "new" plan from either party.  Both parties are too beholden to the medical industry to do anything but create a plan that helps the industry more than it helps the consumer.  Both ACA and the failed Republican plan did nothing to fix the actual problem with healthcare in the US. 

Is there a place for private insurance in addition to a single payer program?  This is a harder question to answer.  If the single payer program is big, strong and effective then private insurance has a place for the small percentage of people who want to pay for it.  But if the single payer program is weak then too many people will use private insurance and single payer will die.  This is what is currently happening with ACA, it is not strong enough to survive in the current environment.

The Republicans are right when they say ACA is dying.  Anyone who thinks it is healthy has their head in the sand.  The Freedom Caucus was right about the Trump/Ryan plan as well.  It was "ACA Lite" and most likely would have fared no better than ACA in the long run.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »

No coverage for dental or optical care.  These are two of the most common medical expenses many people have, why are they not included?[/li][/list]

I'm not sure if this was a rhetorical question or a real question.  The reason to not cover common medical expenses is that they are relatively low cost and predictable.  In other words, if the cost of regular dental checkups is $200 a year and the cost of regular eye exam is $100 a year.  Add in a probability of cavity fills and a few other procedures... you're still averaging very low on an annual basis.  The insurance company (whether it is single payer or otherwise) is just going to fold that number into the cost of the policy -- along with some amount of markup to handle processing the claims.

These are exactly the types of expenses that, as a mustacian, I DO NOT want my insurance to cover.  I would rather pay these low, predictable amounts and have a higher deductible.  This applies to auto insurance, home insurance and health insurance.

redrocker

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »

The Republicans are right when they say ACA is dying. 

The CBO disagrees.

It's best to tune out the republican hyperbole.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2017, 11:03:43 AM »

The CBO disagrees.

How many insurance companies have dropped out of the program?  How many exchanges have shut down completely?  How much have premiums risen?  How many people have only one carrier option?  By what criteria do you rate the program as succeeding?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »

The CBO disagrees.

How many insurance companies have dropped out of the program?  How many exchanges have shut down completely?  How much have premiums risen?  How many people have only one carrier option?  By what criteria do you rate the program as succeeding?

I actually was looking for an updated CBO outlook.  (Not the outlook on the Republican plan, but an up-to-date outlook on ACA based on actual numbers.  Is there one?  I haven't found it.  It may be folded into another estimate and I may have just missed it.

redrocker

• Stubble
« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2017, 11:13:27 AM »

Bud, you cited the republican party as your source
The Republicans are right when they say ACA is dying

then followed up with a Trumpian

Anyone who thinks it is healthy has their head in the sand.

kinda reminiscent of the "and everybody knows it."

So I'll stick with the CBO and other experts' opinions.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #260 on: March 31, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »

Did I say I liked the Trump/Ryan plan?  Please send links to the CBO or other analysis that say how well ACA is doing.  I would love to read them.

redrocker

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: March 31, 2017, 11:29:41 AM »

Did I say I liked the Trump/Ryan plan?

Did I say that ACA was perfectly healthy? No.

Did I offer any opinion whatsoever on liberals not being violent nor destructive? No, despite what I can only assume was a desperate attempt on your part at setting up a straw man.

It is a good thing that liberals are so peaceful and tolerant. Imagine the chaos in the streets, on college campuses or at political rallies if liberals started forming destructive or violent mobs. 

I'm not interested in having a fight. Do your own research.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #262 on: March 31, 2017, 11:31:47 AM »
I'm not interested in having a fight. Do your own research.

Me neither and I have.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #263 on: March 31, 2017, 12:31:54 PM »

Did I say I liked the Trump/Ryan plan?  Please send links to the CBO or other analysis that say how well ACA is doing.  I would love to read them.
https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/115th-congress-2017-2018/reports/52480-ltbo.pdf
"The ACA included significant reforms to slow the growth of Medicare spending, and overall cost growth in the health care system has also declined in recent years. As a result, over the 10 years from 2018 to 2027, Medicare spending is projected to be roughly $2.3 trillion lower than the CBO initially estimated in 2009, before the ACA’s passage."

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: March 31, 2017, 12:35:06 PM »

Yes, there are definitely some points of comparison.  But many people on high deductible plans either never meet their deductible or hit it late in the year.  For these people, the negotiated rate for services is very important.  Until you meet the deductible this is what you buying with your insurance premium.  Try asking an insurance company for their negotiated rate for a service.  They will not tell you (I have tried repeatedly).  How can you effectively comparison shop if you do not know what your premium is buying?

Another big issue I have with ACA is that most (in some cases, all) available plans have extremely limited in-network service providers.  If you travel outside a limited geographical area your coverage is useless except for emergency services.  I looked into this pretty carefully because we would like to travel around the US now that we are FIREd.

Actually, I would love to see Medicare expanded into a single payer system for everyone.  Yes, Medicare has its flaws and high profile abuse cases but overall it is one of the most cost efficient government programs we have.  One big problem with Medicare is that service providers don't want to take it.  Guess what, they don't like it because the "negotiated" rates for Medicare are very low.  The service providers still make a profit but only a small profit.  But, if Medicare was greatly expanded more providers would have to take it if they wanted to stay in business.

I am not excited about any "new" plan from either party.  Both parties are too beholden to the medical industry to do anything but create a plan that helps the industry more than it helps the consumer.  Both ACA and the failed Republican plan did nothing to fix the actual problem with healthcare in the US. 

Is there a place for private insurance in addition to a single payer program?  This is a harder question to answer.  If the single payer program is big, strong and effective then private insurance has a place for the small percentage of people who want to pay for it.  But if the single payer program is weak then too many people will use private insurance and single payer will die.  This is what is currently happening with ACA, it is not strong enough to survive in the current environment.

The Republicans are right when they say ACA is dying.  Anyone who thinks it is healthy has their head in the sand.  The Freedom Caucus was right about the Trump/Ryan plan as well.  It was "ACA Lite" and most likely would have fared no better than ACA in the long run.
And that is not true.  My mother is on a ACA plan in California (you know where they actually tried to make it work) and she is able to get treatment all over the country, including my state, NY.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #265 on: March 31, 2017, 01:59:24 PM »

And that is not true.  My mother is on a ACA plan in California (you know where they actually tried to make it work) and she is able to get treatment all over the country, including my state, NY.

It's going to vary by what plans are available.  In 2017, our in-network choices are excellent because we have a new insurance provider available.  In 2016 it was awful and the in-town, in-network provider choices were very slim (and not the ones I wanted.)  I am hopeful the new insurance provider will take hold and the uptick in choice will continue.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: March 31, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
The CBO has determined the ACA is stable, and that fact was all over the news.

"Congressional Budget Office believes that markets will remain stable."  This is in reference to the individual insurance markets on the federal exchange.

Source:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/opinion/how-to-build-on-obamacare.html?smid=tw-share

mathjak107

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2017, 03:34:15 AM »
tell that to my aca insurer who went bankrupt here in ny . they were the 2nd largest provider . that was some miserable event for all of us involved .

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2017, 06:40:36 AM »
tell that to my aca insurer who went bankrupt here in ny . they were the 2nd largest provider . that was some miserable event for all of us involved .

And someone who is protected by premium subsidies is largely unaffected by switching insurance providers.

mathjak107

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2017, 07:11:21 AM »
that was not the issue , in fact that was no problem at all

the big problem was  while hospitals had to treat you regardless , most local facility's and doctors stopped taking our insurance once they stopped getting payments . we could not see any doctors until we were picked up by a new insurer   or we had to pay 100% for everything .

then when we were finally in a new plan  the doctors we use were not in the plan . it took more than  a month to get settled in and processed  with a new insurer  because of the volume from health republic's demise . .

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:17:29 AM by mathjak107 »

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: April 02, 2017, 06:28:13 AM »

And someone who is protected by premium subsidies is largely unaffected by switching insurance providers.

It's not like switching from Geico to State Farm. There's a whole load of work to do to find new providers in network who are taking new patients. And expense since new doctors will want to see you before continuing prescriptions.

We were lucky this year. We only had to find a new pediatrician and GI specialist. Our GP and OB stayed the same.

mathjak107

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #271 on: April 02, 2017, 08:38:16 AM »
i forgot to mention . our insurer went bankrupt and when we got a new insurer all the deductibles we met up to that point went out the window .

so as you see  when these insurers fail it  certainly is a big deal if you have experienced it and it is far more than the subsidy stays in place .

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: April 02, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »
Wow I didn't know all that. I don't really use healthcare all that much so I was unaware of all these issues.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #273 on: April 02, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »

It's going to vary by what plans are available.  In 2017, our in-network choices are excellent because we have a new insurance provider available.  In 2016 it was awful and the in-town, in-network provider choices were very slim (and not the ones I wanted.)  I am hopeful the new insurance provider will take hold and the uptick in choice will continue.
I know it will vary by what plans are available.  But the statement "Another big issue I have with ACA is that most (in some cases, all) available plans have extremely limited in-network service providers." is false because in states that actually tried do not have such limited in-network service providers.  So it is not most or all plans. 

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2017, 06:45:27 PM »
Anyone who bought a health insurance plan for 2017 though an exchange, you may be interested in this paid research study.

Not sure what their angle is, but they seem to be offering some kind of health concierge service, can't tell if this is a research study or paid marketing, but sketchy as their questions sounds, so far doesn't seem like a scam, and they paid me $50 for filling out the survey.

Up to you if you want to participate. (Note, where it asks for premiums, don't put zero even if that is what it is with subsidies, put your before subsidy premiums). Originally found through FatWallet.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #275 on: September 12, 2017, 06:51:10 AM »
I always love these threads, information turns into political arguments.

Remember - Neither side is willing to make the difficult choice, which is to require and enforce an individual mandate.  Democrats issued one and then provided waivers for almost everyone, Republicans decided to not enforce it all together.  The result is rising costs due to adverse selection.

The majority of our hospitals and providers are privately owned, leaving us with an option to either go Costa Rica's route or Switzerland's route for healthcare.  Costa Rica has baseline government facilities (open the VA to all in the US would solve this) with private pay/private insurance.  Switzerland has a mandatory minimum insurance requirement. 

The "penalty" should be no drivers license issued, no tax refund issued, and wage garnishment until insurance coverage is proven.  That would drive down costs for all.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #276 on: September 14, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »
I always love these threads, information turns into political arguments.

Remember - Neither side is willing to make the difficult choice, which is to require and enforce an individual mandate.  Democrats issued one and then provided waivers for almost everyone, Republicans decided to not enforce it all together.  The result is rising costs due to adverse selection.

The majority of our hospitals and providers are privately owned, leaving us with an option to either go Costa Rica's route or Switzerland's route for healthcare.  Costa Rica has baseline government facilities (open the VA to all in the US would solve this) with private pay/private insurance.  Switzerland has a mandatory minimum insurance requirement. 

The "penalty" should be no drivers license issued, no tax refund issued, and wage garnishment until insurance coverage is proven.  That would drive down costs for all.

Any Massachusetts mustachians out there who know if, prior to the ACA, if the state vigorously enforced the mandate for Romney-care?  It seems to me I have heard less bad stories out of Massachusetts than other states regarding the state of health insurance. 

OurFirstFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »
Remember - Neither side is willing to make the difficult choice, which is to require and enforce an individual mandate.

The real difficult choice IMO is to remove tax breaks for employer-provided health insurance and remove the clauses in the ACA that force people into being dependent on their employer for insurance.  As it is now, the government exchanges are only for people who do not have a job that provides health insurance, which is going to automatically tilt towards sicker, poorer people (even though there are some ERs and entrepreneurs there).  I think breaking the link to employment would do far more to make the government risk pools healthy than stricter enforcement of the individual mandate.  Too bad that's not on the table for either party.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: October 26, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »
If you can get subsidies that higher cost for the silver plan actually increases the amount you get for a subsidy.

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: October 27, 2017, 07:29:34 AM »
Our "Low Premium Silver" plan premium will be increasing by exactly 80% for 2018, with no subsidy.

But that's OK.

Ohio is one of the states loading Trump's non-payment of CSRs directly onto the silver plans. Which means the subsidies get bigger. It's tricky for us to work out our MAGI to determine if we'll get a subsidy next year. Most of our income to this point has been from my self-employment. If I assume we get paid what I've already billed, plus I work about 250 hours next year (a fair assumption - I'm trying to retire here), max out the 401(k), the estimated MAGI gives us an "estimated premium tax credit" of $1,038/month. Thank you, president Trump!

Previewing the available plans, it looks like we'll have to downgrade to a Bronze plan, with a monthly premium of about $350. That's a third of what we are paying this year with no subsidy. Or we could get a gold plan (only one offered, though) and pay about $1100/mo after subsidy.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: October 27, 2017, 03:03:07 PM »
Don't forget to consider the health savings accounts if you can get an insurance plan like that.
Max out that employer contribution to your individual 401k. Make sure to do the math there.
You'll also be deducting a portion of your self-employed social security taxes. - I think about half.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #281 on: October 27, 2017, 04:51:09 PM »
I believe it's only the CSR silver plans because the deductible isn't high enough and/or there are copays before you meet the deductible for things not allowed.  I can't seem to find a definitive site right now.

eta: Maybe this IRS pub will help. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:15:49 PM by geekette »