Author Topic: 100 days out of office  (Read 5252 times)

peter bedpan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
100 days out of office
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:34:05 AM »
Governments are being judged by what they achieved after 100 days in office.

I'm on a sabbathical and have been 100 days out of office now. So let's see how unproductive I was.

Most things that can be measured went down:
Body weight: My BMI is now below 25 from above 26 a year ago.
Blood pressure today was 108/65 - a little bit too low. But 160/95 two years ago was too high.
Fucks given: There isn't much I can be bothered with at the moment. There are some things I should care about a little bit more. But then I can't be bothered with being bothered more.
Depression: I can't give numbers here, of course, but I feel better now.

I have learned a new programming language, did some programming and enjoyed it. If you don't have a deadline and a customer with unreaslistic ideas or no idea at all this is quite fun. There is still a lot to learn so I don't risk of getting bored. And it might event create some sort of income some day - retirement police be on your guard!
FI is not about to work never again. It's more like making money is not the top priority.

Do I miss work? I'm an asshole so I can't wait to get back to my boss to humilate him.
On a serious note: I don't understand people who are retired and come back to the company for a visit or don't know what to do with themselfses.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: 100 days out of office
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »
Congratulation on the improvements in physical and emotional health. How long is your sabbatical?

peter bedpan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »
Thanks! Until end of the year.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
On a serious note: I don't understand people who are retired and come back to the company for a visit or don't know what to do with themselfses.

second.

if youre like some sort of research scientist where youre doing something you absolutely love and are pretty much make your schedule, i could see missing things; but if you have a boss and demanding deadlines, i would think a day spent fishing could be more enjoyable than coming back to re-visit that and i dont even like fishing.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
Thanks! Until end of the year.

Sweet. I wish I had a sabbatical option, but we all play the hand we are dealt, so I'll just leave.
I am glad you are making the most of this time.

Do you plan to go back to work, or is this a step toward permanent sabbatical?

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
Fucks given: There isn't much I can be bothered with at the moment. There are some things I should care about a little bit more. But then I can't be bothered with being bothered more.

This.  I literally LOL'd IRL.

peter bedpan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 01:01:45 PM »

Sweet. I wish I had a sabbatical option, but we all play the hand we are dealt, so I'll just leave.

In my country there is a law that you can reduce you working hours to parttime. In the end I used that as a leverage for a sabbatical. Although the outcome was better than my initial offer the negitiations were quite nasty so I don't see a big future there.

I don't have specific plans at the moment. It's quite interesting what ideas come into your mind when your brain is idle. Just like Pancake said it in the other thread: "Stress and being busy are the enemies of creativity and free thinking and 4 day weekend or trip to Disney isn't going to cut it. "
So I'll let the ideas flow and decide later what to do.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »

In my country there is a law that you can reduce you working hours to parttime. In the end I used that as a leverage for a sabbatical. Although the outcome was better than my initial offer the negitiations were quite nasty so I don't see a big future there.

I don't have specific plans at the moment. It's quite interesting what ideas come into your mind when your brain is idle. Just like Pancake said it in the other thread: "Stress and being busy are the enemies of creativity and free thinking and 4 day weekend or trip to Disney isn't going to cut it. "
So I'll let the ideas flow and decide later what to do.

I probably should have known that from the 'fucks given' comment. This is excellent!! I am happy for you.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 06:43:06 AM »
... On a serious note: I don't understand people who are retired and come back to the company for a visit or don't know what to do with themselves.

It's essential to have something(s) to retire TO -- not just a job to retire from.