Poll

So, how are you feeling about the inauguration? Why?

Embarrassed
96 (21.5%)
Hopeful
44 (9.8%)
Scared
116 (26%)
Excited
17 (3.8%)
Angry
87 (19.5%)
Relieved
10 (2.2%)
Apathetic
46 (10.3%)
Other
31 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 237

Author Topic: Your reaction to the inauguration?  (Read 27279 times)

Melisande

• Bristles
Your reaction to the inauguration?
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »
I woke up today feeling embarrassed for our country. Then, I remembered that he'll now have access to those nuclear codes and am now trying hard not to worry.

You?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: Your reaction to the inauguration?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:23:29 AM »
A wide mix if emotions. Relieved that at least one step is finished, and hopefully things can progress from here. Embarrassed that there is such a disconnect in understanding between one half of the country and the other. Excited to see what sort of changes happen over the next months and years. Hopeful that things turn out even better than anyone hopes.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »
I didn't think my first time listening to a sermon in 10 years would be at an inauguration. Heavens, this is so religious.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »
Existential dread interspersed with the desire to take action, moments of hope, love, confusion.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »
I woke up in the middle of the night last night and had trouble falling back asleep due to the pit of dread I felt in my stomach. I tried hard to distract myself but late at night it was hard to avoid the thought of the inauguration. It is embarrassing and scary to be an American right now. I am ashamed of my country.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 10:39:50 AM »
I didn't think my first time listening to a sermon in 10 years would be at an inauguration. Heavens, this is so religious.

Religion has always been intertwined in the fabric of the country. Has always been, won't end here.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
I was excited and proud. All that talk about turning the country over to the people reminded me why I like him. If he can deliver on the themes of his speech, it really will be a great country again.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
It made me want to re-read "The World of Yesterday" by Stefan Zweig. 

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 10:59:30 AM »
People watch inaugurations? I was out skiing.

-W

FIREGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
Solon,

What does "turning the country over to the people" mean specifically? I agree that there has been a concentration of power in Washington, on Wall Street, Silicon Valley, etc - but what could be done to stop that. I agree with Trump that something needs to be done to sway the balance of power back to the people, but how can this be accomplished?

I know he touched on the "graveyards of rusted out factories" (i.e. bringing back manufacturing) but isn't that more of a fight against automation than it is other countries? We can tax imports as much as we want, but if I own a business and you tell me I can buy a machine for $100k that does the work of 4 people, there is no way I would pass it up.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
I was excited and proud. All that talk about turning the country over to the people reminded me why I like him. If he can deliver on the themes of his speech, it really will be a great country again.
+1
I just read the speech, great stuff.
4th estate is losing it, hilarious to watch. Fantastic entertainment.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 11:16:03 AM »
Disgusted and horrified.

cj25

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
We can tax imports as much as we want, but if I own a business and you tell me I can buy a machine for $100k that does the work of 4 people, there is no way I would pass it up.

This is what I don't understand.  The liberals cry "greater good" about everything.  I should give up my money for redistribution of wealth, I should take lesser health benefits so everyone can have some, I should inject myself with toxic poisons for the safety of everyone else, etc, etc, etc...  Why doesn't keeping people employed even if means you have to be less greedy, fall into the same category?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 11:23:22 AM »
+1
I just read the speech, great stuff.

Yeah, he's good at the bread and circus stuff.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 11:24:07 AM »

Religion has always been intertwined in the fabric of the country. Has always been, won't end here.

I was surprised and a little annoyed at how intertwined it is, even in this day and age.  We are supposed to have separation of church and state, but in fact the state is heavily biased toward not just faith in general, but specifically Christianity.

Which aspects of the speech/ceremony did you think were heavily biased towards Christianity? Although I'm assuming you were still on the topic of the inauguration and not completely generally speaking.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 11:35:17 AM »
My feeling in general.... Bleh/Whatever...

Felt like I was watching the trailer for Designated Survivor....

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »
Apprehensive needs to be on their, too. 

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »

I was surprised and a little annoyed at how intertwined it is, even in this day and age.  We are supposed to have separation of church and state, but in fact the state is heavily biased toward not just faith in general, but specifically Christianity.
And I don't think we've ever had such a heavily Evangelical Christian cabinet in modern times. Makes me fear so many potential changes l

It's a shame because Evangelical Christian facets woven into the government aren't even representative of Christianity.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »
Euphoria.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
Embarrassed.

Many people like being conned, as long as their conman of choice is providing comfort to their insecurities.

In the end this populist rhetoric is words and nothing more, a sleight of hand to turn the masses against one another so that he can achieve his real goal to further concentrate power and enrich the already wealthy.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
We can tax imports as much as we want, but if I own a business and you tell me I can buy a machine for $100k that does the work of 4 people, there is no way I would pass it up.

This is what I don't understand.  The liberals cry "greater good" about everything.  I should give up my money for redistribution of wealth, I should take lesser health benefits so everyone can have some, I should inject myself with toxic poisons for the safety of everyone else, etc, etc, etc...  Why doesn't keeping people employed even if means you have to be less greedy, fall into the same category?
While people should pay higher prices for things like health insurance so others can benefit, paying higher prices for food and goods such as I phones and cars so that others can have a living wage is apparently bad...

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »
Embarrassed that so many people in our country were taken in by an avaricious con man.  Hopeful that the worst he does is transfer a bunch of taxpayer dollars into his own pocket.  Amused by the people that believe that a man who has never done anything to help anyone other than himself for 70 years will actually do anything for anyone in this country unless there is an upside for himself.  Pained that him and his crowd of bigoted idiots represent me now. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:26:32 PM by Unique User »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
Embarrassed that so many people in our country were taken in by an avaricious con man.  Hopeful that the worst he does is transfer a bunch of taxpayer dollars into his own pocket.  Amused by the people that believe that a man who has never done anything to help anyone other than himself for 70 years will actually do anything for anyone in this country unless there is an upside for himself.

This is me, too. And disappointed in my fellow Americans. I thought we were better than this. I honestly did.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 12:36:53 PM »
Embarrassed that so many people in our country were taken in by an avaricious con man.  Hopeful that the worst he does is transfer a bunch of taxpayer dollars into his own pocket.  Amused by the people that believe that a man who has never done anything to help anyone other than himself for 70 years will actually do anything for anyone in this country unless there is an upside for himself.  Pained that him and his crowd of bigoted idiots represent me now.

Pretty much this. And it's curious that people who identify as christian chose as their leader someone who gleefully works his way through breaking the 10 Commandments.Oy.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »

While people should pay higher prices for things like health insurance so others can benefit, paying higher prices for food and goods such as I phones and cars so that others can have a living wage is apparently bad...

That was the part that stuck out to you?  For me it was the bolded. HELL YES you should get vaccinated for the good of everyone else as well as yourself.  I firmly believe this, science is on my side, and I don't think that this is a uniquely liberal viewpoint. 

I personally feel astonished that 50 years after the GOP led communist blacklists, the Republicans have built the thing they most wanted to destroy: they have elected a man who wants us to cozy up to a former KGB operative.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »
I guess I'm psyched for my rich guy tax cut!

Maybe it'll trickle down and I'll go on vacation more or something. More likely I'll stick it all in index funds like I always do.

Good luck, America!

-W

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
Feeling mostly excited... but a bit skeptical.  So I guess I am in general 'hopeful' that Trump is able to accomplish what he thinks he can.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »
disappointed in my fellow Americans. I thought we were better than this. I honestly did.

Just try to remember that we WERE better than this, by about three million voters. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »
The speech: He sounded like Bill Pullman in Independence Day.
  this thought made me smile. Thank you. :)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
I am sorry to see the Obamas go. I may not see eye to eye on all of his policies, but I have he has comported himself in a very dignified manner and held the office to a very high standard.

I think history will judge him well.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »

Because you want America to kill a bunch of aliens? 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 01:00:17 PM »

Only if they attack us first.

Edit: i think i would ultimately accept large numbers of exterterstrial casualties in any situation where the outcome was "us or them"

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »

Do you consider hanging out in front of Home Depot looking for work to be an attack?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »

Do you consider hanging out in front of Home Depot looking for work to be an attack?

Alright, you alien assholes. In the words of my generation...UP YOURS!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 01:15:59 PM »
I took a break from work to watch President Trump's inauguration speech. It was even worse than I expected. It was like a late-night infomercial "greatest hits" compilation of the applause lines from his rallies.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »

Well-played.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »

Seriously this. Did we really need 6 different people to preach to the entire country? I'm a bit disgusted.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »
Seriously this. Did we really need 6 different people to preach to the entire country? I'm a bit disgusted.

There was a lot of prayer.  I found it very interesting, and in a way, great.  God Bless America.  People can still pray, hooray!

The choirs were both outstanding, btw.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 01:37:10 PM »

There was a lot of prayer.  I found it very interesting, and in a way, great.  God Bless America.  People can still pray, hooray!

Unlike the Obama years, when praying was outlawed.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »

Sounds more like Tom Hardy in The Dark Knight Rises.

Compare for yourself:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OWDNbWIW4U

It's even better if you watch the full scenes.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »
Protesters breaking windows and setting cars on fire are more likely to cause an "if those are Trump's enemies, maybe he isn't so bad" reaction than advance their cause.

Of course, conspiracy advocates will propose that Trump supporters are doing this, just to get the above reaction. ;)

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »

Unlike the Obama years, when praying was outlawed.

I'm not for outlawing prayer, it's free speech like any other.  I do think we can, should and will eventually strip it from our government.  It may take another 200 years, but it will happen.

Religion was historically used to legitimize and give power to governments.  We don't obey the laws of our government because it has the full backing of God anymore, so I don't see the purpose.

I can tolerate a quick blessing or using the bible to swear in as it's historical/traditional, but the quantity of it was off-putting for me.  The number of preachers and the total time it took to say their piece seemed longer than the inaugural address!

I mostly agree.

I found it darkly funny that Trump, the living embodiment of the seven deadly sins, had an inauguration with so many preachers espousing a viewpoint of morality that the man himself clearly has no interest in.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
I found it darkly funny that Trump, the living embodiment of the seven deadly sins, had an inauguration with so many preachers espousing a viewpoint of morality that the man himself clearly has no interest in.

I didn't watch the inauguration, but I figure if he managed to not grab anybody by the pussy then it was probably considered a success.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 02:57:32 PM »
I'm glad we have had a (mostly) peaceful transfer of power.  Regardless of whether you like the person in office, peaceful transition of power is one of the things that makes our country great. 

To the above poster, Trump's newfound religion is ironic to me as well.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
Cautiously optimistic, but not overly hopeful.

Glad that Hillary was not getting sworn in, but not thrilled we got the second worst possible person in there.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »
I'm glad we have had a (mostly) peaceful transfer of power.  Regardless of whether you like the person in office, peaceful transition of power is one of the things that makes our country great. 

Trump's a long time protestant (http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/28/politics/donald-trump-church-member/).  Interesting that he didn't have any protestant church leaders among the six people representing various Christian organizations there though.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 03:44:57 PM »

I'm glad we have had a (mostly) peaceful transfer of power. 

... This time...

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »

All of the other democratic nations in the world manage to do this without acting as if it is some sort a major accomplishment.

Soft bigotry of low expectations....yadda, yadda, yadda.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2017, 03:57:19 PM »

All of the other democratic nations in the world manage to do this without acting as if it is some sort a major accomplishment.

Soft bigotry of low expectations....yadda, yadda, yadda.

Wasn't aware being grateful for the peaceful transition of power was controversial.  I was equally happy when President Obama came to power peacefully despite the fact that I didn't vote for him.

This article https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-poses-an-unprecedented-threat-to-the-peaceful-transition-of-power/2016/10/17/f97f8f82-947f-11e6-bb29-bf2701dbe0a3_story.html?utm_term=.454a5954c409is is quite critical of Trump, but makes the excellent point that we take peaceful transition for granted.