Author Topic: Would you go to prison for five years in exchange for a million dollars?  (Read 7377 times)

GOFU

• Stubble
Have I got an investment proposition for you! No money down. This is an investment in time.

Would you go to prison for five years in exchange for a million dollars?

I'm not talking about the Gulag, or a Turkish prison, or Folsom or the state penitentiary. Just a medium security or even minimum security place. Not the worst dark damp hell hole, but a place where you definitely are in prison and you know it. At the end, when you come out five years later, you have a million dollars waiting for you.

Would you do it? Would it be worth it to you? Why or why not?

Later I will discuss why I pose the hypothetical.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:35:05 AM by GOFU »

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Would you go to prison for five years in exchange for a million dollars?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 07:45:33 AM »
Did you happen to recently listen to the short story “The Bet” by Anton Chekhov, like I did?

Nope, don’t think I would voluntarily go to prison for money.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 07:47:09 AM »
No, 5 years of my life is worth more than a million dollars. Life is short, you may not live long enough to get out to spend the 1 million dollars. 5 years in prison would probably feel like 500 years. Not to mention trying to steer clear of getting shanked.

GOFU

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 07:59:14 AM »
Thank for the responses. I will explain the post later. If you would, please go to the other post on the same topic and vote in the poll if you haven't.

Thanks, and I guarantee shank-free experience.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache

GOFU

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 08:19:20 AM »
Did you happen to recently listen to the short story “The Bet” by Anton Chekhov, like I did?

No, but I am going to now.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
Ive been in prison ten years.  Luckily mortgage free now and got my 7 digits, but still in house networth prison

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:55:44 PM »
Is this one of those things where you take the fall for a mobster in exchange for a mill when you get out?

To answer; no probably not. If it involve the mob or deals with similar criminals definitely not!

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 02:02:26 PM »
Money is a stupid reason to go to prison. Especially for a small amount that can be earned by a motivated individual in that same time frame.

Love? Country? Revenge? These are reasons to go to prison. But not something as silly as paper notes that can be worthless when you get out--if you get out.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »
Hell no! Even if I couldn’t earn another penny in my life i wouldn’t do that. Missing out on my own life would be terrible but missing out on being in the lives of my children? I can’t even fathom. No amount of money in the world would entice me to give that up.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 02:17:58 PM »
While I think that $1milllion is a very medium sized amount of money, let's not pretend that a five year stint in prison is time wasted.  Prisoners are not put into suspended animation.  They get to exercise, and read, and learn new skills, and communicate with the outside world.  Some people come out of prison with GEDs, or even law degrees, or huge physiques, or a new religion.

I'm not saying I'd do it, just that the answers thus far seem to be making some simplifying assumptions about what the actual cost would be.  You're not instantly five years older, you've just limited your freedom of movement for the next five years.  Lots of people voluntarily go longer than that never leaving their little neighborhood, is that really so different?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:24:42 PM by sol »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 02:18:39 PM »
No

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »
This actually is pretty close to what I did do to make a chunk of money.  Worked as a contractor in a war zone for 3 years making about $200k a year.  It feels like a prison at times.  You are stuck in a walled compound with guards, guns, gates, concertina wire, people trying to kill you, terrible food, sleeping on a cot, and can't leave that compound for 8-12 months.  Little connection with the outside world, days are repetitive, and nothing fun to do beyond same activities a prisoner has; reading, movies, exercise.  So I guess my answer was...yes? 

GOFU

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »
This actually is pretty close to what I did do to make a chunk of money.  Worked as a contractor in a war zone for 3 years making about $200k a year.  It feels like a prison at times.  You are stuck in a walled compound with guards, guns, gates, concertina wire, people trying to kill you, terrible food, sleeping on a cot, and can't leave that compound for 8-12 months.  Little connection with the outside world, days are repetitive, and nothing fun to do beyond same activities a prisoner has; reading, movies, exercise.  So I guess my answer was...yes?

That is similar to the situation that inspired the hypothetical. Full discussion over at the poll thread.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/would-you-go-to-prison-for-five-years-in-exchange-for-a-million-dollar-87116/

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 05:30:36 AM »
So this is 200K a year. That's about 550$ a day. I don't think I would do it for five years. There is decreasing marginal utility of the money and increasing marginal cost to being in prison as times on. For me, the latter would be bigger than the former after a few months. At five years, the absolute cost has supplanted the entire value.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »
No. Because I can nearly save 1 mil in 7 years by saving/investing hard.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:21:32 PM by gooki »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 01:58:31 PM »
While I think that $1milllion is a very medium sized amount of money, let's not pretend that a five year stint in prison is time wasted.  Prisoners are not put into suspended animation.  They get to exercise, and read, and learn new skills, and communicate with the outside world.  Some people come out of prison with GEDs, or even law degrees, or huge physiques, or a new religion.

I'm not saying I'd do it, just that the answers thus far seem to be making some simplifying assumptions about what the actual cost would be.  You're not instantly five years older, you've just limited your freedom of movement for the next five years.  Lots of people voluntarily go longer than that never leaving their little neighborhood, is that really so different?

Location matters. If you're in New York you might exhaust the 77 book options pretty quickly.
https://thinkprogress.org/new-york-book-policy-83efefb676bc/

A new program in New York is severely restricting the books available to people in prison
The first five vendors combined offered just 77 books. 24 were coloring books.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »

Location matters. If you're in New York you might exhaust the 77 book options pretty quickly.

A new program in New York is severely restricting the books available to people in prison

Holy fuck.  You would think that the country that incarcerates more citizens than any other on the planet might have a modicum of sympathy.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 02:57:01 PM »

Holy fuck.  You would think that the country that incarcerates more citizens than any other on the planet might have a modicum of sympathy.

That sympathy would be internally inconsistent with the existence of the system, no?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 05:11:04 PM »
Touché.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 06:48:04 PM »
Some how 200k/year in a war zone sounds better than prison... Given my skill set I would be in a green cubicle doing math 16hr/day in front of a computer screen.  Am I that addicted to screen time or doing analysis that bombs and beheadings are competitive with a minimum security prison that is literally called "camp"?

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 11:00:51 AM »
Some how 200k/year in a war zone sounds better than prison... Given my skill set I would be in a green cubicle doing math 16hr/day in front of a computer screen.  Am I that addicted to screen time or doing analysis that bombs and beheadings are competitive with a minimum security prison that is literally called "camp"?
It has ups and downs.  Down being less likely to have showers, flush toilets, air conditioning or heat, no mattress, choking dust storms, snakes and scorpions.

Equal is chance of dying (shrapnel vs shanks), terrible food, appearance (walls with guards), limited activities, terrible monotony.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 12:11:17 PM »
It has ups and downs.  Down being less likely to have showers, flush toilets, air conditioning or heat, no mattress, choking dust storms, snakes and scorpions.

Equal is chance of dying (shrapnel vs shanks), terrible food, appearance (walls with guards), limited activities, terrible monotony.

Arizona's tent prison would seem to be in line with many of your 'downs':

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/aug/21/arizona-phoenix-concentration-camp-tent-city-jail-joe-arpaio-immigration

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »
I was wondering if someone would quote that.  That is not typical low security prison as described by the OP. It also closed a few years ago and was deemed cruel.  The sheriff who did it was also found guilty until pardoned by Trump.  So not sure that is a fair counter.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 01:21:51 PM »
While the tent prison is certainly not typical of jails in the US, it kinda illustrates a disturbing point.  Nobody cares about you, or the quality of your life.  In the case of the tent city, it stood for 24 years before finally being closed for cruelty.  If you're in jail, people can do shit to you and get away with it.  These people include guards, sheriffs, other inmates.  That's pretty scary.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 02:30:02 PM »
 You have no control over you life. You are told to do things, what time to do things, you are served crap for meals. You have to hang with the right crowd and know who to bow to. Just the freedom of getting in your car and going grocery shopping, getting an ice cream cone, going to your own refrigerator to gaze inside to see what you might like to eat and the comfortable bed you sleep in. To play a game with your kid or grandkid, kiss and hug your wife/Hub, pet your dog. Such little pleasures you have no way to enjoy.

There is no money in the world that can 'buy' that stuff.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
You have no control over you life. You are told to do things, what time to do things, you are served crap for meals. You have to hang with the right crowd and know who to bow to. Just the freedom of getting in your car and going grocery shopping, getting an ice cream cone, going to your own refrigerator to gaze inside to see what you might like to eat and the comfortable bed you sleep in. To play a game with your kid or grandkid, kiss and hug your wife/Hub, pet your dog. Such little pleasures you have no way to enjoy.

There is no money in the world that can 'buy' that stuff.

Absolutely.  Also, have you guys watched Orange is the New Black.  Even minimum security women's prison is a pretty scary place.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 04:20:12 PM »
But then after 5 years in you don't walk away with a million bucks either.

No, but you do get a lifetime of eligibility for free healthcare for you, and sometimes for your family.  And if you make 20 years you get a lifetime inflation adjusted pension superior to any other in the world.  Plus discounts on mortgages, groceries, banking, insurance, zoo memberships and movie tickets, cemetery services, etc.

I'm just saying, the monthly paycheck is not the only value you get from military service.  As a simplified rough approximation, the VA spends about 180 billion dollars per year on something like 5 million veterans, our around $37k per vet per year, for life, AFTER they have left service.

Is it fair compensation for hardship and danger?  I couldn't say.  But I bet it's worth more than a million dollars.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »
If I was young and broke I would probably go for it.  The prison would have to be nice like in Norway.

fmzip

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 07:15:40 PM »
Is the $1M after tax? ;)

I could use a sabbatical from my stressful job

patriciawest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 10:47:45 PM »
No, I cannot lose my independence for money!

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 11:22:27 PM »
Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

The whole point of my life has been the escape from stupid arbitrary authority. Middle School was close enough for me.

Plus, forgo the company of women for five years? For a measly mil? Nopity nopity nope nope nope.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 10:49:36 AM »
Can I have my brother do it for me? I'll split it with him.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 03:37:09 PM »
To the OP: you seriously need to up your offer or shorten your prison stint.

My old ex neighbor only got 3 years for stealing 1.4 million from her employer over a 3 year span.  The only reason she got that long was because her employer was a government contractor so they threw the book at her for stealing government money in a way.

Herbert Derp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 04:31:57 AM »
No, because I can make more than a million dollars in five years. Looking at the situation, I need to consider not only how much I could have made in five years, but also the impact of a five year gap to my future earning potential. For five million dollars, I'd be willing.

I'd spend those five years learning new skills, getting in shape, meeting interesting people, etc. For the right price, it would be a great opportunity.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:41:40 AM by Herbert Derp »

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »
Are you asking for a friend?

The answer is: no,  1 million isn't enough. Now, if you start the bidding at maybe 50 million after tax...

Also depends...are we talking Federal Prison Camp, or Federal Pound-me-in-the-ass Prison?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3M1-hDinIk

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 02:52:49 PM »
Would you take a job you hated for 200K per year, but on the condition that you must stay in the office building 24/7, eat only cafeteria food, and get locked in your cubicle every night?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
Noralenderbee, for me that would be a nightmare but for some who are married to their jobs, a dream come true!

Doesn't Rand Paul camp out in his office to save money even though he gets a stipend to get housing?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 06:00:49 PM »
Would you take a job you hated for 200K per year, but on the condition that you must stay in the office building 24/7, eat only cafeteria food, and get locked in your cubicle every night?

No.

. . . but if I really loved the job and didn't have a kid I'd consider it.  Probably would end up hating the job and burning out though.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 04:07:16 AM »
How many years would I have to stay in the office building, is there an end to this imprisonment or as long as I collect $200K I am forced to stay in the building? Would there be showers and how would I do my laundry? Would they send it out to be dry cleaned?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
How many years would I have to stay in the office building, is there an end to this imprisonment or as long as I collect $200K I am forced to stay in the building?

The OP said five years, at the end of which you collect the money.

Would there be showers and how would I do my laundry? Would they send it out to be dry cleaned?

There are showers and laundry facilities in prison, but you may not be allowed to use them whenever you feel like it.

You could also make pruno in the toilet.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 04:58:46 PM »
Noralenderbee, for me that would be a nightmare but for some who are married to their jobs, a dream come true!

Doesn't Rand Paul camp out in his office to save money even though he gets a stipend to get housing?
Spreading Rand 💗 love, yass!!!

He cuts his own hair, too. Much to the chagrin of his wife and his mother.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 04:21:37 AM »
Are you sure it is HIS hair or is it a 'rug' he got from a Salvation Army store?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:21 AM »
Once you got out of prison the stigma would follow you around though.  When hunting for jobs, apartments, trying to hold office (well maybe that one doesn't matter about record).

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »
No. Because I can nearly save 1 mil in 7 years by saving/investing hard.
Could you at 18 yrs old, you would be out at 23 with $1M.
Invested at 10%, you would have $2M on your 30th Birthday.
Happy Birthday!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Not a chance! You'd be defending your innocence for the rest of your life and in someways i want to keep my virginity.

GOFU

• Stubble
How about for $26 million?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-06/luxury-music-gala-organizer-pleads-guilty-after-bahamas-fiasco
Heh. I remember hearing about this disaster when it took place.

This guy most likely expected the civil suits, but the criminal charges probably came as a surprise.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
If it were just a loss of freedom and loss of privileges, I might do it.  If my safety were guaranteed and I wasn't forced to do hard labor, I might actually enjoy it for a while.  I would get in mad physical shape, read all the books I wanted to, meditate every day, and as Sol brought up, I might even use that time to study for another degree or take a correspondence course.  I would for sure start painting again. 

Honestly, I'm an introvert and i'm pretty close to being a hermit anyway.  As long as I got a little bit of outdoor time on a regular basis and I could spend the rest of my time working on my own personal growth, it seems pretty great. 

But having to learn how to deal with other people so I don't get beat up?  Nope.