Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611812 times)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #300 on: October 23, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »
I'd much rather be referred to as "female" than "girl" because I am not a child. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, like "Girls Night out." We're in our forties and we're the mothers of actual girls. We're not the girls anymore, that ship has sailed.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: October 23, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »
I'd much rather be referred to as "female" than "girl" because I am not a child. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, like "Girls Night out." We're in our forties and we're the mothers of actual girls. We're not the girls anymore, that ship has sailed.

I guess I have mixed feelings about this one. My grandmother, even in her 80s, used to talk about meeting "the girls" for lunch or whatever. It was cute at her age. But when it's a group of 40-somethings who are trying to deny that they are not "young" anymore, it's not so cute. I'm not sure at what age the line should be drawn.

"Female" is definitely horrible. Makes me think of rappers and lyrics that talk about women like occasionally-useful objects.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #302 on: October 23, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »

Interesting how we all get hung up on different things. "Girls" never bothered me, but plenty of other random stuff does!

Here's my word of the day from yesterday: Pronunciate. Please...just...no.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: October 23, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »
24/7/365

It's redundant!
24 hours in one day, every day
7 days in a week, every week
365 days in a year, most years

I don't quite get how that's redundant, exactly. Repetitive, certainly. Cumulative too, but redundant? I don't know...

There are two instances of days.   So to say 7 days a week and 365 days a year...yes it's redundant.  Now if someone wanted to say 24/7/52(weeks in a year), then I guess that would be okay. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #304 on: October 23, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »
24/7/365

It's redundant!
24 hours in one day, every day
7 days in a week, every week
365 days in a year, most years

I don't quite get how that's redundant, exactly. Repetitive, certainly. Cumulative too, but redundant? I don't know...

There are two instances of days.   So to say 7 days a week and 365 days a year...yes it's redundant.  Now if someone wanted to say 24/7/52(weeks in a year), then I guess that would be okay.
I think I see what you're getting at. Is it the asymmetry that bugs you?

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #305 on: October 23, 2017, 10:52:46 PM »
I think I see what you're getting at. Is it the asymmetry that bugs you?

It's the redundancy, like he said. 365 days a year implies 7 days a week, no need to specify 7 days a week. Now, 52 weeks a year doesn't imply anything as to the number of days per week, so you'd need to specify the 7.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #306 on: October 25, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »

Interesting how we all get hung up on different things. "Girls" never bothered me, but plenty of other random stuff does!

Me too.  "Girls" has never bothered me, but I have always hated the term "Gal".  I can trace it back to my first office job during High School.  "The men" got the serious jobs and "the gals" got to type their letters, make coffee, open mail, and answer the phones.  I worked there after school thru high school and when I went away to college I was told I might be the first "gal" on the sales team after I graduated.  What an honor!  Fat chance! 
The people were incredibly nice and supportive, but they were a small company and just didn't have enough examples of how to treat women fairly and equally.  I didn't want to be their test case and I certainly didn't want anyone thinking they were doing me any favors for allowing me to do the same work as anyone else. 

whew. rant over.   

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: October 25, 2017, 09:36:49 AM »
For the folks offended by various words and phrases and stereotypes etc. What do you think of stand up comedy or vulgar comedic movies?

Serious question. Do you just not ever go or you think it's OK in that context to offend or what?
That's a really tough question. I did at one time feel like it's just words and in the context of a comedy they don't mean anything by it. I've noticed as I get older and more importantly as I've been exposed to more people who live a very different life than I do, whether it be because they are gay, disabled, another race etc., I feel like there is (almost) no place for jokes that stereotype groups of people. Even if the person making the jokes has no ill will towards said group, saying certain things out loud can influence feelings in small incremental ways that most people don't even notice. More importantly, even if a comedian and some of their audience have the exposure to recognize a joke for what it is, many other viewers assume there is more truth in the jokes than there really is.

As an example, growing up I saw lots of jokes relating gay men to certain behaviors. I still think these jokes can be funny and lots of gay men even partake in these types of jokes, they aren't all negative stereotypes. However, the more I realize how many gay men don't fit these stereotypes I can see how the assumption that all gay men behave this way may make them less likely to come out. I worked for someone part time for a while, a gay man from Kentucky who ran an agricultural breeding program and therefore worked around lots of conservative farmers. Obviously he was not hiding it but if he had been, there would have been little indication. He was a big burly guy with a gut who dipped Copenhagen all day - He did like to bake though :)

Long story short I think stereotyping in comedy can almost always be damaging to society. Does that mean we should never make these jokes? That's still a really tough question.

ETA: I still didn't really answer the question. Third option. I don't think it's good to make certain jokes but I watch plenty of offensive movies and laugh at the jokes anyways. Being offended by something doesn't mean you don't find it funny. Generally when I'm offended it's on someone else's behalf, not because I have a weak constitution and my pretty little ears can't take it. I think that's one of the big misconceptions that come from the "it's just a joke" crowd. Ya, I know what a joke is but the joke itself isn't always the problem. The problem is that jokes influence opinions and opinions lead to actions like making laws that ban people from specific countries or make it so certain people don't enjoy the same freedoms that I do. In other cases it is the joke. For example, using the word retard doesn't hurt my feelings but it does hurt the feelings of people who may not even have the mental capacity to understand that it's just a joke.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:30:18 AM by Dabnasty »

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: October 25, 2017, 10:35:28 AM »
Long story short I think stereotyping in comedy can almost always be damaging to society. Does that mean we should never make these jokes? That's still a really tough question.

It is a tough question, and something I've been thinking about lately. Most people seem to think that it's okay to poke fun at your own unique qualities, including your own race/national origin. Most people also seem to think it's okay to make fun of white people regardless of your own race. But does a minority who makes fun of him/herself maybe give other people the idea that it's okay to make fun of others in the same way? And when someday the majority of the US population is no longer white, will it still be okay to make fun of white people?

As a white person, I obviously have zero first-hand knowledge of the experiences of people from other backgrounds. But when I consider the fact that it doesn't feel good to be called a "basic white girl" or a "cracker," I can only imagine the pain that insults directed at other races must inflict, even if they are meant to be somehow friendly and funny.

I think we should all be able to laugh at ourselves for our stupid mistakes, our big nose, our funny-looking feet, etc. And with close friends, sure, we should be able to exchange friendly banter about each other's differences. But given the fact that there's so much horrible history associated with treating people differently for their race, maybe it's best to stay away from that area.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #309 on: October 26, 2017, 06:32:51 AM »
For the folks offended by various words and phrases and stereotypes etc. What do you think of stand up comedy or vulgar comedic movies?

Serious question. Do you just not ever go or you think it's OK in that context to offend or what?

It's not hard conceptually, it's just subtle.  Fundamentally, it is about power.  Making fun of people "below" you in the social hierarchy is bullying and so not funny; making fun of people above you in the social hierarchy is subversive and so can be funny.  And making fun of yourself or your own group falls into the subversive/funny category.

The other aspect is that comedy has to be unexpected.  Jokes based on stereotypes aren't funny because there is nothing unexpected about them -- like, really, that's the best you've got?  OTOH, flipping stereotypes is unexpected.  The best jokes reveal a truth that the audience never noticed before -- think of Chris Rock on the difference between "rich" and "wealthy."

Best example I can think of is "Blazing Saddles" (one of the funniest movies ever made).  Plentiful use of the word "nigger," but used to mock the idiocy of the people who would call a powerful black man a "nigger."

To my mind, I don't personally care much about hurtful words, because it says more about the speaker than about the person/group he is referring to.  Hell, I am foul-mouthed and detest euphemisms myself; there are no sensitive ears here that require protection.  But I do object to disparaging words when deployed by people with power against people without, who cannot defend themselves or strike back -- like, say, the boss calling his underlings "gals" and expecting them to get coffee (flashback to "9 to 5" here).  In many instances, it's just largely cluelessness (that particular boss was probably trying to avoid saying "girls" because he knew that was bad, but thought "women" sounded too formal and so chose "gals" thinking it was the most comparable to "guys).  In that case, I'm most likely to respond along the lines of "dude, you know what that sounds like, right?" 

OTOH, someone who is well aware that a particular word hurts but insists on continuing to use it is just a bully and an asshole.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »

It's not hard conceptually, it's just subtle.  Fundamentally, it is about power.  Making fun of people "below" you in the social hierarchy is bullying and so not funny; making fun of people above you in the social hierarchy is subversive and so can be funny.  And making fun of yourself or your own group falls into the subversive/funny category.

The other aspect is that comedy has to be unexpected.  Jokes based on stereotypes aren't funny because there is nothing unexpected about them -- like, really, that's the best you've got?  OTOH, flipping stereotypes is unexpected.  The best jokes reveal a truth that the audience never noticed before -- think of Chris Rock on the difference between "rich" and "wealthy."

Best example I can think of is "Blazing Saddles" (one of the funniest movies ever made).  Plentiful use of the word "nigger," but used to mock the idiocy of the people who would call a powerful black man a "nigger."

To my mind, I don't personally care much about hurtful words, because it says more about the speaker than about the person/group he is referring to.  Hell, I am foul-mouthed and detest euphemisms myself; there are no sensitive ears here that require protection.  But I do object to disparaging words when deployed by people with power against people without, who cannot defend themselves or strike back -- like, say, the boss calling his underlings "gals" and expecting them to get coffee (flashback to "9 to 5" here).  In many instances, it's just largely cluelessness (that particular boss was probably trying to avoid saying "girls" because he knew that was bad, but thought "women" sounded too formal and so chose "gals" thinking it was the most comparable to "guys).  In that case, I'm most likely to respond along the lines of "dude, you know what that sounds like, right?" 

OTOH, someone who is well aware that a particular word hurts but insists on continuing to use it is just a bully and an asshole.

Agreed.  The best comedy tends to use stereotypes and stereotypical situations to highlight things that don't make sense, to make us question beliefs, convention, and societal norms.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #311 on: October 26, 2017, 10:31:09 AM »

I agree with this statement and would like to add my $0.02.  Anyone who uses the word "snowflake" to denigrate another person's feelings, is a bully. 

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #312 on: October 26, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »
Ooh, I thought of another.

On pregnancy forums, you'll find all kinds of cutesy acronyms and euphemisms, and by the far the worst is...

BABY DANCING (or "BD")

which means "sex." 

It's just too, too horrible!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #313 on: October 26, 2017, 01:52:21 PM »

On pregnancy forums, you'll find all kinds of cutesy acronyms and euphemisms, and by the far the worst is...

BABY DANCING (or "BD")

which means "sex." 

This one wins. Hands down.

We're done here, people.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #314 on: October 26, 2017, 03:33:55 PM »

BABY DANCING (or "BD")

which means "sex." 

We're done here, people.
That's definitely the worst.  Wow.  Why not just call it something less offensive, like "fucking"?

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #315 on: October 26, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »

BABY DANCING (or "BD")

which means "sex." 

We're done here, people.
That's definitely the worst.  Wow.  Why not just call it something less offensive, like "fucking"?

OMG. I wish I could un-see that. I agree. There can't possibly be a worse phrase.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: October 27, 2017, 07:24:11 AM »

BABY DANCING (or "BD")

which means "sex." 

We're done here, people.

OMG. I wish I could un-see that. I agree. There can't possibly be a worse phrase.
I would be just as revolted by this as everyone else if it wasn't for the fact that I keep picturing the Ally McBeal dancing baby.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: October 27, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »
I wish people would stop saying anniversary for less than 1 year intervals.

It's a 2 week anniversary!

We had our 6 month anniversary!

Say what? That makes no sense.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #318 on: October 27, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »

Ya, it's a septiversary and mensiversary. get it right people.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: October 27, 2017, 11:56:19 PM »

I hate this! a family friend recently celebrated her 28 month anniversary with her fiance. It is ridiculous.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: October 28, 2017, 01:20:53 AM »

BABY DANCING (or "BD")

which means "sex." 

Jesus fucking christ, this is a new one for me.

Makes my skin crawl!

I like you.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #321 on: October 28, 2017, 01:32:12 AM »
Okay, I'll join --in. I hate, hate being called a girl -- I'm not a girl, I am freakin adult.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #322 on: October 29, 2017, 06:12:34 AM »
Okay, I'll join --in. I hate, hate being called a girl -- I'm not a girl, I am freakin adult.
Definitely.  People should flip this - would you call a man of any age a boy?  If he is not a boy, then she is not a girl, she is a woman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwMOC5i2eRk

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #323 on: October 30, 2017, 11:09:13 AM »

BABY DANCING (or "BD")

which means "sex." 

We're done here, people.

I prefer "playing poke the baby" to BD.

EMMoneY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #324 on: November 10, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »
"Throw shade"
"Prezzie" (a gift / present) a 60+ yr old blogger uses that and I keep wondering if she's regressed to toddlerhood
"radonkadonk" and any other word used where 'ridiculous' will suffice
"Boo" when used to mean one's significant other

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #325 on: November 10, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »
"Throw shade"
"Prezzie" (a gift / present) a 60+ yr old blogger uses that and I keep wondering if she's regressed to toddlerhood
"radonkadonk" and any other word used where 'ridiculous' will suffice
"Boo" when used to mean one's significant other

I think prezzie is pretty common in Australia. Is the blogger Australian?

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: November 10, 2017, 10:04:02 PM »

BABY DANCING (or "BD")

which means "sex." 

We're done here, people.

I prefer "playing poke the baby" to BD.

Is this something that occurs during the Baby Moon? in order to get a classier/more expensive Push Present?

EMMoneY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #327 on: November 11, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »

I think prezzie is pretty common in Australia. Is the blogger Australian?

No, she's from the western U.S.  She also uses "a little sumptin' sumptin'" to describe gifts.  I had to stop reading her blog, I nearly wanted to tear my hair out reading a grandmother posting like a tween.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: November 13, 2017, 05:38:23 PM »
No No...im keeping the word retard in my vocabulary.  So many snowflakes want it banished and its not going to happen.

Interestingly, "retarded" was originally considered a more polite and sensitive way to refer to the mentally handicapped. It replaced terms such as "mentally deficient."

Now we're introducing "developmentally delayed" as a euphemism for a euphemism.

I strongly disagree that "retarded" is equivalent to a racial slur. It is a neutral descriptive word just like "delayed" or "handicapped." People will always find ways to call each other stupid, and whatever new euphemism is introduced, someone will soon start using it as an insult. It's an endless arms race. Remember the words idiot, imbecile, and moron? They were originally introduced as scientific, non-derogatory terms for degrees of mental deficiency.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #329 on: November 14, 2017, 01:03:33 AM »
RE: "female" and "male" - the only people I have ever seen using these words equitably are the police. "We are looking for a white male..." "A female was found today by the towpath..."

Re: offensive comedy - I avoid vulgar films and comedians that I think might offend me. I don't always get it right, but I don't want to be sitting there listening to stuff I won't find funny or clever. That said, I grew up in a very Jewish and Indian school where it was normal for these groups to poke fun at themselves. There was even an ongoing thing about "Brown Town" - "Everywhere else, you get 99% and your mum is so pleased she buys you a cake. In Brown Town, she's so angry about the 1% that you get grounded." That kind of thing. I think we even did a skit about Brown Town in assembly once. Anyway, I tend to find Jew jokes and Indian jokes by Jewish and Indian comedians funny, but the same jokes by white comedians would make me uncomfortable. I think it is an in-group vs making fun of thing. I suppose so think of myself as "in" with the Indians so it's like hearing a joke from a peer, and I get a lot of the references. Hearing "some white person" joking about Indians is not like hearing it from a peer (even though I am white) so I would avoid someone I knew to make such jokes. Now I live in a predominantly black area I am coming to appreciate Chris Rock.

For example: I always switch off Jimmy Carr. I'm just not going to enjoy it. But I find David Mitchell hilarious because he pokes fun at himself and he is so like me (awkward white middle class intellectual). I can nod along and say "So true!"

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #330 on: November 15, 2017, 09:42:22 AM »
I strongly disagree that "retarded" is equivalent to a racial slur. It is a neutral descriptive word just like "delayed" or "handicapped." People will always find ways to call each other stupid, and whatever new euphemism is introduced, someone will soon start using it as an insult. It's an endless arms race. Remember the words idiot, imbecile, and moron? They were originally introduced as scientific, non-derogatory terms for degrees of mental deficiency.

I'm not arguing that it's equivalent to a racial slur, but what you call an arms race is just the natural evolution of language. None of us can control how our words are heard by others, but we can all choose which words we use. And words are only useful as long as we all agree on what they mean.

^This. You can argue all you want about the absurdity of the euphemism treadmill, but you don't get to choose how your words are interpreted by others, so choose them wisely unless you specifically aim to offend. I have a son who is in a wheelchair, and would be offended if people started to call him "lame", even though that was, at one time, an appropriate term for his disability. (lame -> crippled -> handicapped -> disabled -> person with a disability). I don't call things that I don't like "lame", just like I don't call people with whom I disagree "retarded". I don't get worked up over people who used the term "handicapped", because that's not really used as a pejorative term. Some people are offended by it, so I try to use language that I know is unlikely to hurt any feelings. It's really not much of an imposition.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #331 on: November 15, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »
I don't get worked up over people who used the term "handicapped", because that's not really used as a pejorative term. Some people are offended by it, so I try to use language that I know is unlikely to hurt any feelings. It's really not much of an imposition.

Yikes, I think it is over here. Makes me cringe every time I hear it. "Disabled" is the accepted norm in Britain.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #332 on: November 15, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »
I don't get worked up over people who used the term "handicapped", because that's not really used as a pejorative term. Some people are offended by it, so I try to use language that I know is unlikely to hurt any feelings. It's really not much of an imposition.

Yikes, I think it is over here. Makes me cringe every time I hear it. "Disabled" is the accepted norm in Britain.

Like I said, I don't use it, but it doesn't offend me. I can't recall a single instance of someone using it as an insult.

Edit to add: Typically, the only time I ever hear someone use the term "handicapped" is in reference to a parking spot. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that's the term I use myself. "Disabled parking" or "disabled persons' parking" sounds weird. The commonly-used term here is "handicapped parking". Language is weird.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:39:23 AM by Mississippi Mudstache »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #333 on: November 15, 2017, 12:11:41 PM »
Just a thought on the "acceptable word treadmill" - It seems words that were used legitimately long ago such as idiot, imbecile but are now used exclusively as insults are ok to use as insults but not to describe a person with a mental disability. New words used to describe an actual condition are ok to use in context but not as an insult (that's how they get on the treadmill). Words that began as legitimate terms for a condition but have been used as an insult long enough that they are commonly recognized as an insult should not be used for their original purpose or as an insult. After enough time has passed to disconnect the word from it's original usage it may be acceptable to use as an insult.

Another thought this time on why people are resistant to these changes - Some people's response of "too much work, don't be so sensitive" is not because it really is too much work but rather because they don't like being corrected. No one likes being corrected and to be fair there are some word police who will correct you in a not so nice way. If I slip up and use a term that is offensive but debatably so or maybe I didn't even know that it was offensive, It sucks when somebody jumps on me and acts like I'm a dick for saying it. My immediate reaction might be "fuck you, I say what I want" not because I want to hurt people's feelings by using the word but because I'm being spiteful. In short I'd say a lot of people who are resistant to the evolution of words act that way because they don't like people correcting them.

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #334 on: November 15, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
In parts of the southeastern US, you'll hear "I'm fixin' to go to the store" or some other variant. My favorite: "I'm fixin' to get ready to go..."

The first phrase is technically correct, while the second is redundant. :)

The misuse of "lose" and "loose" is especially grating to me.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #335 on: November 15, 2017, 02:06:05 PM »
Baby daddy
Baby bump
Amazing

I mean, come on: How many things are truly "amazing"?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #336 on: November 15, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »
Just a thought on the "acceptable word treadmill" - It seems words that were used legitimately long ago such as idiot, imbecile but are now used exclusively as insults are ok to use as insults but not to describe a person with a mental disability. New words used to describe an actual condition are ok to use in context but not as an insult (that's how they get on the treadmill). Words that began as legitimate terms for a condition but have been used as an insult long enough that they are commonly recognized as an insult should not be used for their original purpose or as an insult. After enough time has passed to disconnect the word from it's original usage it may be acceptable to use as an insult.

Another thought this time on why people are resistant to these changes - Some people's response of "too much work, don't be so sensitive" is not because it really is too much work but rather because they don't like being corrected. No one likes being corrected and to be fair there are some word police who will correct you in a not so nice way. If I slip up and use a term that is offensive but debatably so or maybe I didn't even know that it was offensive, It sucks when somebody jumps on me and acts like I'm a dick for saying it. My immediate reaction might be "fuck you, I say what I want" not because I want to hurt people's feelings by using the word but because I'm being spiteful. In short I'd say a lot of people who are resistant to the evolution of words act that way because they don't like people correcting them.

I still miss the word "gay" in the sense of its use in South Pacific; somehow light-hearted does't quite convey the same meaning.  But it is gone from my vocabulary now, because meanings shifted.

EMMoneY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #337 on: November 15, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »
"Broke" his/her "silence" - as used in entertainment media.  "Lulabelle broke her silence on Lulabub's affair."  Particularly when paired with "finally" - when it turns out the alleged silence was broken after a mere 4 hours of discovery.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #338 on: November 16, 2017, 11:32:57 AM »
In parts of the southeastern US, you'll hear "I'm fixin' to go to the store" or some other variant. My favorite: "I'm fixin' to get ready to go..."

The first phrase is technically correct, while the second is redundant. :)

The misuse of "lose" and "loose" is especially grating to me.

"Going" doesn't really make any sense.  You be sitting on the couch with your laptop and be "going" to turn on your computer even though you don't plan to leave the couch.  No travel involved. 

One sense of the word "Fix" in the dictionary, on the other hand, is "prepare."  You can be preparing to get ready (meta-preparation), so fixing to get ready makes complete sense.  "Going to keep sitting on the couch" and "Going to go to the store" make none if you think about it. 

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #339 on: November 16, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »
I still hear kids saying "Oh, that's so gay" sometimes. I don't know if they mean it as a homophobic putdown but I suspect they do. I doubt they mean "queer" as in "peculiar."

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #340 on: November 16, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »
I still hear kids saying "Oh, that's so gay" sometimes. I don't know if they mean it as a homophobic putdown but I suspect they do. I doubt they mean "queer" as in "peculiar."

I called a kid out on it one time.  He got really apologetic. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #341 on: November 17, 2017, 05:18:01 AM »
"shitting out babies" - what a hideous, hideous turn of phrase.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #342 on: November 17, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »

What?  Fortunately I've never heard that before.  Is that a British thing?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »

What?  Fortunately I've never heard that before.  Is that a British thing?

Absolutely not! I have never ever heard or read it in real life but have read it lots of times on this (largely American) forum.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #344 on: November 17, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »

I'm not arguing that it's equivalent to a racial slur, but what you call an arms race is just the natural evolution of language. None of us can control how our words are heard by others, but we can all choose which words we use. And words are only useful as long as we all agree on what they mean.

^This. You can argue all you want about the absurdity of the euphemism treadmill, but you don't get to choose how your words are interpreted by others, so choose them wisely unless you specifically aim to offend.

This thread is about words we wish would go away, not words we insist on using in spite of their effect on other people. I don't need to be lectured, thanks.

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #345 on: November 17, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »
The words and terms I really don't like are
-"perfect storm"
-"laser focused"
-Adding "-gate" to any scandal
-"honestly"

I'm getting tired of "fake news", and think the speakers/authors should get better at distinguishing between "fake news" (also known as lies) and "real gossip / information that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things".

I also think "hero" and "evil" are overused.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #346 on: November 17, 2017, 02:16:18 PM »

Ugh. I hate that too. Just a needlessly crude way of describing someone's family and the arrival of tiny, new human beings.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »
The words and terms I really don't like are
-"perfect storm"
-"laser focused"
-Adding "-gate" to any scandal
-"honestly"

I'm getting tired of "fake news", and think the speakers/authors should get better at distinguishing between "fake news" (also known as lies) and "real gossip / information that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things".

I also think "hero" and "evil" are overused.

I have to say, you're my hero for pointing out all these evil phrases :-)

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2017, 07:36:11 PM »
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already. I've read the whole thread, but I don't remember!

The very last time I ever met with my financial advisor, before quietly firing him and moving my funds to Vanguard, thanks to this forum, I counted the number of times he said "at the end of the day" while yammering on and on at me for half an hour about random market/investment junk. It was the only way I could stay focused and appear to be politely listening. He used that phrase 30-something times.

That said, even before that experience, I've always hated "at the end of the day," unless you're literally talking about something that will occur at the end of the day.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #349 on: November 20, 2017, 07:12:17 AM »
I hate it when someone posts "RIP" with regard to someone's death, particularly if it was someone they knew. I find it somewhat disrespectful to not spell it out, as it doesn't take that long to type "Rest in Peace".