Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611807 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
Here is one that I don't understand in that it appears to be a relatively new trend, at least to my ears. I only hear it from females, and they look and/or sound to be in the under 30 YO group.  It involves a pronunciation tic that takes a multi-syllable word ending in N and dropping the last syllable, replacing it with a hard N.  Example would be Mountain, or certain. I don't know if it's regional or trendy, but it irritates the hell out of me.

So skipping the "ai" or accentuating the "n?"

Mountn or MountaiN?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »
No, more like skipping the ai, and going for a soft n. My wife thinks it's sort of sounds like ending the word, by cutting it short and wrapping it up with with an odd, soft grunt.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: October 11, 2017, 07:42:09 PM »
No, more like skipping the ai, and going for a soft n. My wife thinks it's sort of sounds like ending the word, by cutting it short and wrapping it up with with an odd, soft grunt.

It’s a glottal stop:

http://www.linguisticsnetwork.com/a-closer-look-at-flaps-and-glottal-stops-in-standard-american-english/

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #253 on: October 11, 2017, 07:47:46 PM »

It’s a glottal stop:

http://www.linguisticsnetwork.com/a-closer-look-at-flaps-and-glottal-stops-in-standard-american-english/

I see that in the Army. Sergeant gets pronounced "Sarnt" quite often. It seems to be a combination of regional dialect and rushed/lazy speech.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:43 PM »

It’s a glottal stop:

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but FFS, that could of been posted in Russian, and it would be just as useful to me, LOL.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2017, 01:14:55 AM »

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2017, 11:27:08 AM »
I'd like to add "needs <done>" where people miss out the "to be" part, e.g. a car needs moved / this needs done by Friday / the room needs cleaned.

On a related note, I'll add "because <reason>" where people leave out the "of." For example, "I need to move my car because hailstorm." Or, "Our kitchen is in a shambles because remodeling."

The first example might be a regional thing. West Virginia/Pennsylvania and perhaps other places. I agree, it sounds odd.

Second example is because hipster-speak. Or because irony.

Yes, I suspect the "needs washed" etc. construction might be regional.  My husband used this and didn't realize it was incorrect until he was an adult in graduate school...years later, he still sometimes pauses and self-checks his grammar to see that he's constructing the sentence correctly.   I'm not sure if he picked it up from family or from the Pacific NW region where he grew up.  However, the only other person I've heard regularly using it (a podcaster) was also from the PNW, so...

The first example is definitely a Pennsylvania thing, and it may have come from Pennsylvania Dutch.  The second one I've never heard of.

Damn Dougules, you amaze me. I was raised by a Pa. Dutch step father. His parents had him as a very late in life Catholic accident. By the time I met them they looked about old enough to be God's parents. His parents only spoke Pa. Dutch in the house and his mom only read it, and not English. As I was reading this post I knew exactly where it came from, but certainly didn't expect to have an Alabama resident confirm it. English speakers from a Pa. Dutch background can be really tough to understand. Early in my home building career I had a lot of older "dutchy" subcontractors. When they called the house, my wife would ask them to hold on, and hand me the phone. They were speaking English, sort of, but the wife had no clue as to what they were saying. Being raised with it, I never missed a single crazy word of their fast speech and jumbled sentence structure, but God help you if it was your first time trying to talk with a dutchy.

One I never forget happened when a buddy of mine bought a farm field, deep in Pa. Dutch country. One day he got a call from a local farmer. The guy identified himself by his last name only. He then said, "do you want me to come make your fields off?" My buddy asked him what he was saying. The farmer repeated the same thing again. My buddy politely tells him that he still doesn't understand. The farmer then lets out an "Achk" which is a dutchy grunt of frustration, and says, while talking out loud to himself, "how do I say it in English?" he then says, "would you like me to come and cut your grass"

DH (haha) is from Pa. Dutch country, so he will point out "Dutchy" things people say there.  I was told by a lady in his home town that English was the second language for most folks in the area 100 years ago. 

DH's family is from Western Pa., though, so I occasionally get confused on which things are "Dutchy" and which things are Pittsburghese.   Throw in Alabamanese, and it gets crazy. 

On top of that, I was raised Mormon, so I instantly recognized the moun'ain glottal stop that's also in this thread as a Utah thing.  They have their own set of weird regionalisms, but what is funny is that they don't realize they have their own accent. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:44:33 AM by dougules »

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: October 16, 2017, 11:43:20 AM »
"Female" instead of "woman" or "girl". Sounds like you're talking about animals. And, I never hear someone who uses "female" like that use "male" the same way.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2017, 02:12:34 PM »
"You look tired!" (Gee, thanks.)

"Where's your smile today?" "Did you forget your smile?" "C'mon, smile!" (I'm not generally a frowny or unpleasant person, but no one smiles 24/7. It seems like anytime a stranger (always male) catches me NOT smiling, one of these tired phrases is trotted out. I actually asked a TSA security officer once if he ever asks men that question. Airport security seemed like an odd place to expect everyone to be grinning anyway.)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
Another one that bothers me is when Canadians say "North America" when you can tell they're not trying to include Mexico. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2017, 05:31:09 PM »
Another one that bothers me is when Canadians say "North America" when you can tell they're not trying to include Mexico.

Since North America includes a lot more land south of Mexico (exactly how far seems to depend on where Central America is considered to start), maybe they are shortening it from "parts of North America that speak mostly English"?  I say mostly to allow for the large amount of French and Spanish spoken in various places.

I suppose this goes along with the USians who call themselves Americans, without including everyone else from Chile to Canada.  And yes, I realise the full name of the country lends itself to this.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »

Since North America includes a lot more land south of Mexico (exactly how far seems to depend on where Central America is considered to start), maybe they are shortening it from "parts of North America that speak mostly English"?  I say mostly to allow for the large amount of French and Spanish spoken in various places.

I suppose this goes along with the USians who call themselves Americans, without including everyone else from Chile to Canada.  And yes, I realise the full name of the country lends itself to this.

You're right about using "Americans." I personally actually generally go out of my way to rephrase so I don't call myself American to non-US people from the Americas.  In Spanish I always use "estadounidense."  And it's just as bad for Canadians to use "North Americans" if they don't include Mexicans and maybe Nicaraguans and Cubans, too. 

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2017, 08:58:06 PM »
Before the United States of America became the USA, the British referred to the area as the American colonies. Things from there came to be known as American.

If speakers of other languages want to use "American" to mean other things, they are free to, but it frankly the boat has sailed as far as English is concerned.

"USian" just looks and sounds awful. That would be one of my own Words/Phrases I Wish Would Go Away!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2017, 09:36:44 PM »
North America usually denotes just the US and Canada because they are the large , hyper developed, culturally homogeneous block. Not what technically constitutes the geographical continent that also includes Guatemala and Honduras. I mean, when you read of an international corporation looking to expand to North America, it's understood that they really just want a phone number with a +1 dialing code.

Notable exception: the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) does include Mexico.

Language is full of shortcuts and approximations. When asked my weight by a medical professional, I don't answer in Newtons or school them on the technically proper physical terms.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: October 18, 2017, 09:53:28 AM »
"USian" just looks and sounds awful. That would be one of my own Words/Phrases I Wish Would Go Away!
In Spanish I always use "estadounidense."
Estadounidense means United-States-ian, but in a way that doesn't sound awful (we need an English equivalent). :)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: October 18, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »
Before the United States of America became the USA, the British referred to the area as the American colonies. Things from there came to be known as American.

If speakers of other languages want to use "American" to mean other things, they are free to, but it frankly the boat has sailed as far as English is concerned.

Amerigo Vespucci was an Italian who was employed by the Spanish. 

North America usually denotes just the US and Canada because they are the large , hyper developed, culturally homogeneous block. Not what technically constitutes the geographical continent that also includes Guatemala and Honduras. I mean, when you read of an international corporation looking to expand to North America, it's understood that they really just want a phone number with a +1 dialing code.

Notable exception: the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) does include Mexico.

Language is full of shortcuts and approximations. When asked my weight by a medical professional, I don't answer in Newtons or school them on the technically proper physical terms.

In general I would agree about shortcuts and approximations, but it's grating when it's a subtle put-down to our neighbors to the south.  Why not just say "The US and Canada?"  It's only two more syllables.

And I'd like to know if we could get any Quebecois to chime in about whether they're part of a culturally homogenous block with Anglo-North America.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:11:35 AM by dougules »

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: October 18, 2017, 11:12:09 AM »
In Spanish I always use "estadounidense."
Estadounidense means United-States-ian, but in a way that doesn't sound awful (we need an English equivalent). :)

Yes, we do. 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #267 on: October 18, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »
The word "journey", especially when used by any contestant on the Bachelor/Bachelorette.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #268 on: October 18, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
The word "REALLY" seems to have vanished for the most part.  Its no longer used as a one word sentence.  YOu know what I mean...when the word "really" is used in disgust.  Like if you do something stupid and someone goes..."REALLY!?" 

Another hip word to say now is "RIGHT."  That replaced the "really" word above.  Again...used as some sort of matter of fact statement/one word sentence crap. 

Why are people so retarded?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #269 on: October 18, 2017, 05:39:31 PM »

And I'd like to know if we could get any Quebecois to chime in about whether they're part of a culturally homogenous block with Anglo-North America.

Snort.  ;-)

A lot of English Canadians would disagree too.  Especially when it comes to religion, politics and guns.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #270 on: October 18, 2017, 09:30:28 PM »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #271 on: October 19, 2017, 12:49:41 AM »
Sorry ponyboy, that is one expression that needs to go away completely. Please, just stop using it.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #272 on: October 19, 2017, 05:33:07 AM »
Sorry ponyboy, that is one expression that needs to go away completely. Please, just stop using it.

The term is now minimally exceptional.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #273 on: October 19, 2017, 08:33:09 AM »
No No...im keeping the word retard in my vocabulary.  So many snowflakes want it banished and its not going to happen.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #274 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »
The word "REALLY" seems to have vanished for the most part.  Its no longer used as a one word sentence.  YOu know what I mean...when the word "really" is used in disgust.  Like if you do something stupid and someone goes..."REALLY!?" 

Another hip word to say now is "RIGHT."  That replaced the "really" word above.  Again...used as some sort of matter of fact statement/one word sentence crap. 

I blame Bill Cosby.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bputeFGXEjA

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #275 on: October 19, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
No No...im keeping the word retard in my vocabulary.  So many snowflakes want it banished and its not going to happen.

I imagine you're fond of the N word, too?

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: October 19, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »

"Snowflakes" as applied to people.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #277 on: October 19, 2017, 11:15:06 AM »

I imagine you're fond of the N word, too?

I dont use it daily but theres no reason it should be banished.  Its not illegal to say words.  If anyone says that now and is on camera its pretty much a death sentence in terms of career, public image, etc etc. 

Funny you should say that...the other day we had a black girl and guy in our apartment complex trying to get people to sign up for electric service to their provider.  I walked past the dude and he kept saying sir, sir...I ignored him then he called me racist even though I didnt say a single word.  I then told them to f*cking leave and they started calling me racist.  Went and got the property manager...he told them to leave...as they were leaving she told the property manager the only reason he was taking by side is because im a "cracker."  Then she called property manager a "white f*ggot."  But thats ok...no big deal...shes just misunderstood im sure.

I have it all on video...I thought about uploading it to youtube but was worried about repercussions.  In the state it was recorded video is ok in public I believe but audio is a problem unless you have consent...minus if you're a police officer...they can always be recorded.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:22:24 AM by ponyboy »

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #278 on: October 19, 2017, 11:18:01 AM »

Its easier than saying "overly sensitive humanoids that havent been woke yet."

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #279 on: October 19, 2017, 10:35:12 PM »

Well yeah. Not sure how that changes anything, unless you mean people should stop referring to themselves as American, because only this one Italian man is the true "America."

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: October 19, 2017, 11:34:49 PM »
Middle aged women who talk about "gettin' some awesomesauce time with my peeps" in a sad effort to sound young and hip.

Hint: they don't

My BiL referred to Facebook as "Facey" for about three weeks nine years ago and my MiL still calls it that in an attempt to sound young.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #281 on: October 20, 2017, 08:24:14 AM »

Its easier than saying "overly sensitive humanoids that havent been woke yet."
But in reality it's used to refer to anyone who doesn't agree with your political views

Oh yeah, and the term "woke". Just sounds silly

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: October 20, 2017, 09:29:16 AM »
"But in reality it's used to refer to anyone who doesn't agree with your political views."

In a very dismissive way. Definitely as an insult.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: October 20, 2017, 10:07:20 AM »
Consider this - You're having a conversation with a friend and you refer to him as "retarded". He's not offended, he's your friend and he knows your just giving him a hard time. But the guy with down syndrome who happens to be walking doesn't understand that it's just a joke. And if he does that may be worse because he knows that his existence is the basis for a putdown. Your friend said something stupid and so you compared your friend to him.

This scenario may seem unlikely to you but not everyone with a mental handicap is obvious from appearance and more relevant to your usage here, anyone can read anything written on the internet.

People with mental handicaps have enough obstacles in life, can't you just use a less offensive putdown - like fucking dumbass?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #284 on: October 20, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »
Consider this - You're having a conversation with a friend and you refer to him as "retarded". He's not offended, he's your friend and he knows your just giving him a hard time. But the guy with down syndrome who happens to be walking doesn't understand that it's just a joke. And if he does that may be worse because he knows that his existence is the basis for a putdown. Your friend said something stupid and so you compared your friend to him.

This scenario may seem unlikely to you but not everyone with a mental handicap is obvious from appearance and more relevant to your usage here, anyone can read anything written on the internet.

People with mental handicaps have enough obstacles in life, can't you just use a less offensive putdown - like fucking dumbass?

Ponyboy doesn't care. It's "alpha" to be mean and offensive to people.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #285 on: October 20, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »

Well yeah. Not sure how that changes anything, unless you mean people should stop referring to themselves as American, because only this one Italian man is the true "America."

My point was that the term "America" was for Latin America first.  People from the USA are Americans, but so are Canadians, Mexicans, and Brazilians. 

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #286 on: October 20, 2017, 10:27:26 AM »

Retard means slow, delayed.  I guess it depends on what context you use the word retard.  Should I rearrange my limited vocabulary so I never offend anyone?

I heard a great saying once...this isnt verbatim but close..."when someone says they're offended they want the rest of the world to adjust their points of views to fit theirs."  something like that...im sure i can find it but you get the point.  Some people need to grow a spine.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: October 20, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »

Retard means slow, delayed.  I guess it depends on what context you use the word retard.  Should I rearrange my limited vocabulary so I never offend anyone?

I heard a great saying once...this isnt verbatim but close..."when someone says they're offended they want the rest of the world to adjust their points of views to fit theirs."  something like that...im sure i can find it but you get the point.  Some people need to grow a spine.

See? Mentally handicapped people just need to grow a spine.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #288 on: October 20, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »

You're right, it depends on context. So when you asked "Why are people so retarded?" you were referring to people being slow. Which is the origin of the term mental retardation, people who think or develop more slowly than normal. Which means you were comparing people who use a word you don't like to people with a mental disability.

Exactly how limited is your vocabulary? This might help http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/stupid

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #289 on: October 20, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »

Some people could benefit from developing a little more compassion for others less fortunate through no fault of their own. These people are not "snowflakes", pronounced in a disparaging manner. They just got handed a different card than you did in the great genetic lottery of life. "Retard" used as a verb, as in fire retardant, is just fine. "Retard/Retarded" used as a noun to describe another human being is just plain rude and insensitive. There are plenty of other words you can use.

BTW, the example of the solicitors in an apartment complex is completely irrelevant to your use of the word "retarded" to describe another person. Oh, no wait - the relevance is perhaps the way you felt in that situation might be something like what someone with developmental issues might feel like when hearing your unkind words. What does it cost you personally just to select another word? Why not create a habit of not denigrating others of any ability?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #290 on: October 20, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »

Guilty as charged.  For some reason my brain refuses to register Mexico as part of North America . . . It's automatically packaged with all those Spanish speaking countries a little further down.  Weird, I will try to fix that in the future.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #291 on: October 20, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »

Guilty as charged.  For some reason my brain refuses to register Mexico as part of North America . . . It's automatically packaged with all those Spanish speaking countries a little further down.  Weird, I will try to fix that in the future.

So is that just a Canadian thing? I definitely include Mexico in my immediate mental image of North America. It's hard to imagine doing otherwise.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #292 on: October 20, 2017, 12:36:52 PM »
For the folks offended by various words and phrases and stereotypes etc. What do you think of stand up comedy or vulgar comedic movies?

Serious question. Do you just not ever go or you think it's OK in that context to offend or what?

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #293 on: October 20, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »
For the folks offended by various words and phrases and stereotypes etc. What do you think of stand up comedy or vulgar comedic movies?

Serious question. Do you just not ever go or you think it's OK in that context to offend or what?

The comedians are making jokes yet people are still offended.  You'll never change some.  Everyone else is supposed to change to conform to what they think is correct.  Another reason why history is being erased.  If its not politically correct its gotta go.  Strange times we live in.  Its a nerf'd society.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #294 on: October 20, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »

The comedians are making jokes yet people are still offended.  You'll never change some.  Everyone else is supposed to change to conform to what they think is correct.  Another reason why history is being erased.  If its not politically correct its gotta go.  Strange times we live in.  Its a nerf'd society.

What history is being erased?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #295 on: October 20, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
"Blood thinner". I see nurses and doctors use this all the time to mean "anticoagulant" and it is just plain wrong. Anticoagulants inhibit various clotting factors. They do absolutely nothing to the viscosity of the blood.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #296 on: October 20, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »
influencers

toxic people

Breaking. Up. Sentences. Like. This.

self-care

amirite?

"I just NOPED right out of there."

"bad skin" or "good skin" [If it's keeping your organs from falling out of your body, it's doing its job!]

I don't have logical, well-thought-out reasons for disliking most of these. I'm just weary of them. Weary of the realms of internet where they tend appear in the wild.

I've never heard of "I just noped right out of there" but I love it! I'm totally adopting it but I'll drop an F-bomb in there to punch it up a little.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: October 23, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »
"Female" instead of "woman" or "girl". Sounds like you're talking about animals. And, I never hear someone who uses "female" like that use "male" the same way.
Yes.  1000 times Yes! 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #298 on: October 23, 2017, 01:42:18 PM »
24/7/365

It's redundant!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #299 on: October 23, 2017, 01:58:36 PM »
24/7/365

It's redundant!
24 hours in one day, every day
7 days in a week, every week
365 days in a year, most years

I don't quite get how that's redundant, exactly. Repetitive, certainly. Cumulative too, but redundant? I don't know...