Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611764 times)

hoosier

• Stubble
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
Triggered and safe space really annoy me, mostly because I just don't care about your feelings.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »
Depending on your current point of view, the 'D' could stand for positive or negative descriptors:  "dear", "darling", "darn" "(edited)", etc.

... dickhead.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »
I gotta disagree on DH, DW, DS, DD--I think they're handy shortcuts.  Depending on your current point of view, the 'D' could stand for positive or negative descriptors:  "dear", "darling", "darn" "(edited)", etc.
... dickhead.

I'm in the fan club for these acronyms. I would never say them aloud, but they're quite handy in my forum writing.

I never use DH, but do use FiL, MiL, BiL.

And I, in turn, hate MiL, BiL, etc. with the lower case "i". It's harder to type and twee as fuck. Use all caps, please. It's an acronym, FFS.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
It's harder to type and twee as fuck.

Twee. That's been said a couple of times in this thread, but I've never seen it before. I'll have to look that one up, but I suspect it'll end on on my "list of words I wish would go away."  :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
I'm sick of stupid-ass internet abbreviations:

DH
DW
DS
DD

But for some reason, I'm totally okay with FIL and MIL. I think it's the "Dear" part of the previous list that really bugs me.

Also sick of "hella."

Yes!

I never use DH, but do use FiL, MiL, BiL.

How do you feel about SO? I don't object to it as strongly as DH/DH, but still think that partner suffices.

(Are we about to be blacklisted by darling militants?)

Oh, I also object to the premature promotion a boyfriend/girlfriend to 'partner'.

You're 22, not living together and you've been dating for five weeks!
I'm definitely also opposed to DH/DW/etc, but not passionately so.  I don't mind SO or MIL/FIL/MIL.  Wifey and hubby make my skin crawl (wifey is worse for some reason).

"Partner" definitely shouldn't be applied too soon, but it can definitely be a boyfriend/girlfriend.  My girlfriend is my "partner" and we've been together for six years (I'm 26 and she's 25) and living together for five (and own two houses together, with our first paid-off and turned into a rental).

"Adulting" makes me think the person is anything but adult if doing something that responsible adults do is considered out of the ordinary enough to be noteworthy.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »
"Adulting" makes me think the person is anything but adult if doing something that responsible adults do is considered out of the ordinary enough to be noteworthy.

I think that's the point, linguistically. Using it as a verb indicates that you are acting as an adult in a specific situation, even if you feel you're not embodying the term in your life overall.
I could understand an 18-year-old being "proud" of "adulting" but I tend to see the term used by those in their 20s and 30s... you know, actual full-time should-be adults.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2017, 11:33:51 AM »

I think that's the point, linguistically. Using it as a verb indicates that you are acting as an adult in a specific situation, even if you feel you're not embodying the term in your life overall.
I could understand an 18-year-old being "proud" of "adulting" but I tend to see the term used by those in their 20s and 30s... you know, actual full-time should-be adults.

And then there is my age group.  We are so tired of being adults, we just want to have fun and be irresponsible (and not have to cook dinner again), so there are times we use "adulting" ironically.  Forget second childhood, I want a second teenagerhood, I was much too responsible the first time around.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2017, 12:37:59 PM »
I have a hard time with boyfriend/girlfriend when it's people of a certain age, say above 40. It just sounds weird, so I default to partner.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
I also hate when I can hear the "t" in often.

Wait, really? Isn't that just how you say it?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/correct-pronunciation-of-often

Weird. I say often with the 't', and hasten as well. I would say that most in the South East of the UK would pronounce the 't'.

I'm racking my brain for the rest of the UK. I've basically lost my firm footing on pronunciation from home now - I have to think whether I would say 'kilo-meter' or 'kilometter', now (the former, I believe).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »

Weird. I say often with the 't', and hasten as well. I would say that most in the South East of the UK would pronounce the 't'.

I'm racking my brain for the rest of the UK. I've basically lost my firm footing on pronunciation from home now - I have to think whether I would say 'kilo-meter' or 'kilometter', now (the former, I believe).

You'll start sounding like a Canadian one of these decades.  ;-)

Not Your Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
mansplaining

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »

Ha... maybe. Not this decade though. I refuse to call petrol "gas" when it is *clearly* a liquid :P

BoonDogle

• Stubble
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »
"+100"
"+1000"

Almost like a competition to see who can add the most zeros.  I get it.  You strongly agree.  "+1" or "agreed" works.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »

Ha... maybe. Not this decade though. I refuse to call petrol "gas" when it is *clearly* a liquid :P

Well that is just us being lazy - it is gasoline.  You know, gasoline, benzene, kerosene, . . . .  At least doughnuts (at Tim's) are still doughnuts, not donuts.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »

Well that is just us being lazy - it is gasoline.  You know, gasoline, benzene, kerosene, . . . .  At least doughnuts (at Tim's) are still doughnuts, not donuts.

But not gasolene?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2017, 07:52:35 AM »
Another phrase I recently found out makes me angry

Any sentence that begins with "As a" to mean when someone identifies with a particular subject.

"As a college student who earns minimum wage..."
"As a public service worker...."
"As a recent homeowner...."

This is becoming just so overused. Like you HAVE to bring your own personal experience to have an opinion about something?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2017, 09:40:39 AM »
Another phrase I recently found out makes me angry

Any sentence that begins with "As a" to mean when someone identifies with a particular subject.

"As a college student who earns minimum wage..."
"As a public service worker...."
"As a recent homeowner...."

This is becoming just so overused. Like you HAVE to bring your own personal experience to have an opinion about something?

You wouldn't make it very far as an agile developer. We use that phrase all the time in our user stories.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »

But not gasolene?

No.  That would be silly.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2017, 10:24:16 AM »
"I know, right?"

Grrr.

littleweedontheprairie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »
"We are pregnant" - I find that one slightly gross. Only one of you is pregnant. Only one of you has been impregnated. You could say you are both expecting a child. Somehow I always imagine the man stuffing his sweater with water balloons when saying that.
"Breeders" when referring to people having children. Often used by people treating their animals with inordinate amounts of attention. In the same category: pet owners who refer themselves as "parents" and call their pets their "babies/children".
"Truly blessed", and I am actually religious but I really cannot stand that one. It seems to be used mostly as a humblebragging tool for social media in Christian circles. " We live in such a big house that I can't keep up with the cleaning, but thankfully my children are so helpful! Of course it helps that I can stay home to teach them right! Truly blessed to have a husband who provides for our family!" ... yuck.
"Clean food", "clean eating" - really you just mean "cooked from scratch. Also "farm grown" whatever - there is no such thing as factory grown vegetables or meat. I promise, it all comes from a farm!
This is a fun thread. Thanks for starting it!

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
First come, first serve. Unless you're playing tennis, just no.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »
"Clean food", "clean eating" - really you just mean "cooked from scratch.

I've always taken clean eating to mean no garbage and lots of veggies.  I can cook a mean grilled cheese or breaded fish n' chips from scratch but wouldn't say either is an example of clean eating.  :P

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
Oh man, the "we are pregnant" gets me too. Unless you are a lesbian couple each carrying one, it's not a shared attribute. If you insist on including the non-fetus-carrying partner, just say "we are expecting a child".

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »
"Clean food", "clean eating" - really you just mean "cooked from scratch.

I've always taken clean eating to mean no garbage and lots of veggies.  I can cook a mean grilled cheese or breaded fish n' chips from scratch but wouldn't say either is an example of clean eating.  :P

I always see "eating clean" in the same discussions as cross-fit and "paleo" dieting, but I haven't found a good definition of what "clean" food is.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »
Speaking of eating, I get irritated when people say they are going to "do" their chosen food.

[person ordering food] "I'll do the steak and baked potato, then for dessert I'll do the apple pie."

I want to say, please describe to us in great detail exactly how you're going to "do" those foods... ;p

littleweedontheprairie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »
Yes! And also when the waiter/waitress feels compelled to comment on what the customer ended up "doing" with their order: "oh, you did a great job on that"; or worse: "are we still working on that?", like a nurse asking about a bowel movememt...

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2017, 11:12:19 PM »
From Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=babB7_WJZQw

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »
In the same category: pet owners who refer themselves as "parents" and call their pets their "babies/children".
"Truly blessed", and I am actually religious but I really cannot stand that one. It seems to be used mostly as a humblebragging tool for social media in Christian circles. " We live in such a big house that I can't keep up with the cleaning, but thankfully my children are so helpful! Of course it helps that I can stay home to teach them right! Truly blessed to have a husband who provides for our family!" ... yuck. 
On target!

Has anybody mentioned "furbabies"? I know that many people love their pets more than their children or other people's children, but still...

"Hero" is a word that I used to like because it referred to a person who had shown great, unusual, bravery in accomplishing a selfless and significant goal.  Now it is used on the most trivial occasions.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
Has anybody mentioned "furbabies"? I know that many people love their pets more than their children or other people's children, but still...
I think the "fur baby" thing has come about thanks to pet stores in malls that sell $1000 <insert today's breed fad> puppies.  It's a super smart business idea--the target market is right there.

Sadly, I know a family that bought two of those puppies.  Spent $4k by the time they had all the shots/supplies/gear/etc.  They're a year into it, and regret their decision.  But now they're stuck for the next 10+ years.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2017, 07:41:27 PM »
hahaha.... this thread is funny.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
2.0. 3.0.

No, it's just 2, or 3. 2.1? Sure. 2.174? Ok. 2.0000000000? No. You don't need to (always, every time) say "two point oh!".

Perhaps they wish to convey the precision of the result i.e. 2 is less precise than 2.0 (or more properly 2.0 x 10^0).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2017, 07:42:31 AM »
2.0. 3.0.

No, it's just 2, or 3. 2.1? Sure. 2.174? Ok. 2.0000000000? No. You don't need to (always, every time) say "two point oh!".

Perhaps they wish to convey the precision of the result i.e. 2 is less precise than 2.0 (or more properly 2.0 x 10^0).

Or in the case of software to indicate that it's not really done, and you should be expecting a 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 beta shortly.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2017, 08:26:52 AM »
2.0. 3.0.

Or in the case of software to indicate that it's not really done, and you should be expecting a 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 beta shortly.
I'm more a fan of keeping my software at 0.9.x for multiple years until management has figured out that the numbers my program spits out are not magic and actually have to be determined in some way.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »
I heard one yesterday that gets under my skin.  It makes me cringe when people talk about "DNA" for something that's not biological.  I guess it's in their corporate DNA to latch on to the latest buzzwords.

Oh, thank you.  I did a lot of bacterial/viral genetic work in college, and this really bothers me too.  Every time I hear it, my inner Inigo Montoya says, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2017, 08:26:53 AM »
I heard one yesterday that gets under my skin.  It makes me cringe when people talk about "DNA" for something that's not biological.  I guess it's in their corporate DNA to latch on to the latest buzzwords.

Oh, thank you.  I did a lot of bacterial/viral genetic work in college, and this really bothers me too.  Every time I hear it, my inner Inigo Montoya says, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Yes thank you.  DNA = deoxyribose nucleic acid, and no I did not have to Google it.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: October 09, 2017, 09:02:31 AM »
"Would of."  I've seen it here a number of times, and it just makes my teeth hurt.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #236 on: October 09, 2017, 09:08:15 AM »
"Would of."  I've seen it here a number of times, and it just makes my teeth hurt.

Words that we slur while talking don't really need to be spelled that way - "I'm gonna", etc.  "Would of" would be OK as "would've", because it is "would have".  But typed out "would of", ugh.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #237 on: October 09, 2017, 09:09:07 AM »

Oh, man, I hate that.

Makes me think of something that a (former*) Facebook friend used to write all the time that was mind-bogglingly worse:

"kindave."

As in, "I'm kindave tired right now."

*"Former," because she, a Trump supporter because of her environment, unfriended me. Why? Because her abusive shitpile of a husband (literally physically abusive) would go through her Facebook profile and make her unfriend anyone he didn't approve of.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: October 09, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »

Yes thank you.  DNA = deoxyribose nucleic acid, and no I did not have to Google it.

Deoxyribonucleic acid.

Should've checked in a search engine of your choice. Har.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: October 09, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
"... in any way, shape, or form." Argh. So overused and not at all helpful in making one's point.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2017, 01:20:43 PM »

Deoxyribonucleic acid.

I believe you are both correct. In the first paper (1953) it is referred to as "Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid" but in subsequent papers it is written as "Deoxyribonucleic Acid".

http://www.nature.com/nature/dna50/archive.html?foxtrotcallback=true

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »

Deoxyribonucleic acid.

I believe you are both correct. In the first paper (1953) it is referred to as "Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid" but in subsequent papers it is written as "Deoxyribonucleic Acid".

http://www.nature.com/nature/dna50/archive.html?foxtrotcallback=true

Huh, well, every day you learn something new isn't a day wasted, right? I stand (sit) corrected.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #242 on: October 09, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
Sammich/sammy.

It makes my skin crawl when grown adults say this instead of sandwich. It sounds like baby talk and I want to yell, “it’s a fucking SANDWICH,” but I don’t because that would be crazy. Inside voice only...

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #243 on: October 10, 2017, 11:38:38 AM »
"It is what it is."

Sub in
* I don't have time to fix it.
* I don't have to use it, so I don't care.
* We are stuck with it.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #244 on: October 10, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »
Yes! And also when the waiter/waitress feels compelled to comment on what the customer ended up "doing" with their order: "oh, you did a great job on that"; or worse: "are we still working on that?", like a nurse asking about a bowel movememt...

THIS! “We” instead of “you”.

“And how are we doing today?” I don’t know about you, but I want to punch you in the throat...

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: October 10, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
Middle aged women who talk about "gettin' some awesomesauce time with my peeps" in a sad effort to sound young and hip.

Hint: they don't

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #246 on: October 10, 2017, 07:09:56 PM »
Functionality

I hate hearing people say that word at work.  "what's the functionality of this feature?"   

The function of something is its function.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: October 10, 2017, 07:19:53 PM »
Functionality

I hate hearing people say that word at work.  "what's the functionality of this feature?"   

The function of something is its function.

OMG, yes!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2017, 05:53:46 PM »
I'd like to add "needs <done>" where people miss out the "to be" part, e.g. a car needs moved / this needs done by Friday / the room needs cleaned.

On a related note, I'll add "because <reason>" where people leave out the "of." For example, "I need to move my car because hailstorm." Or, "Our kitchen is in a shambles because remodeling."

The first example might be a regional thing. West Virginia/Pennsylvania and perhaps other places. I agree, it sounds odd.

Second example is because hipster-speak. Or because irony.

Yes, I suspect the "needs washed" etc. construction might be regional.  My husband used this and didn't realize it was incorrect until he was an adult in graduate school...years later, he still sometimes pauses and self-checks his grammar to see that he's constructing the sentence correctly.   I'm not sure if he picked it up from family or from the Pacific NW region where he grew up.  However, the only other person I've heard regularly using it (a podcaster) was also from the PNW, so...

The first example is definitely a Pennsylvania thing, and it may have come from Pennsylvania Dutch.  The second one I've never heard of.

Damn Dougules, you amaze me. I was raised by a Pa. Dutch step father. His parents had him as a very late in life Catholic accident. By the time I met them they looked about old enough to be God's parents. His parents only spoke Pa. Dutch in the house and his mom only read it, and not English. As I was reading this post I knew exactly where it came from, but certainly didn't expect to have an Alabama resident confirm it. English speakers from a Pa. Dutch background can be really tough to understand. Early in my home building career I had a lot of older "dutchy" subcontractors. When they called the house, my wife would ask them to hold on, and hand me the phone. They were speaking English, sort of, but the wife had no clue as to what they were saying. Being raised with it, I never missed a single crazy word of their fast speech and jumbled sentence structure, but God help you if it was your first time trying to talk with a dutchy.

One I never forget happened when a buddy of mine bought a farm field, deep in Pa. Dutch country. One day he got a call from a local farmer. The guy identified himself by his last name only. He then said, "do you want me to come make your fields off?" My buddy asked him what he was saying. The farmer repeated the same thing again. My buddy politely tells him that he still doesn't understand. The farmer then lets out an "Achk" which is a dutchy grunt of frustration, and says, while talking out loud to himself, "how do I say it in English?" he then says, "would you like me to come and cut your grass" 

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: October 11, 2017, 06:02:25 PM »
Here is one that I don't understand in that it appears to be a relatively new trend, at least to my ears. I only hear it from females, and they look and/or sound to be in the under 30 YO group.  It involves a pronunciation tic that takes a multi-syllable word ending in N and dropping the last syllable, replacing it with a hard N.  Example would be Mountain, or certain. I don't know if it's regional or trendy, but it irritates the hell out of me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!